Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,742

Adam

Thanks for the well thought-out and very specific response.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

romulux

i remember sakamoto encouraging retro to make a fourth prime game a while back, saying that if they had a good idea he'd be pleased to see them make another, so i doubt he dislikes the prime games. it may be the case that because he didn't have any part in the prime series that he wasn't quick to remember it, speaking instead from just his own team's experience with metroid.

that said, it still seems a bit awkward; he obviously considers samus to be a very personal creation of his, so seeing someone else take control for a few years while being relegated to the handheld systems may have been a downer for him. the bigger snub was at the end when he said gamers would react to other m by saying "this is the metroid game i wanted"- but it doesn't have to be a negative comment. as good as the prime games were, a lot of people have wanted a true super metroid sequel, so he could have meant they're finally delivering that.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Adam

Yea, I think he really just meant it as in his series is "Metroid," and Retro's series is "Metroid Prime," rather than Prime being a part of the main series. But his complete lack of clarification made it sound almost like a snub. I find it hard to imagine he forgot Prime completely when there were a whopping three games (four with Hunters), more than he made during that time.

Just thought that was kind of funny, not trying to read too much into it. This is the kind of Metroid I wanted, anyway, from the looks of it.

And yea, I imagine that must be awkward, though Retro did a good job with her character, never forced her into silly cut scenes or gave her pointless dialog. The original Prime was very much like the original Metroid in the lack of characterization, at least, which worked well. I didn't finish Prime 3 though, but I've heard no complaints about Samus's role or interactions.

And if there ever is a Prime 4, it better have Hunters-esque multi-player, but that is sadly another topic.

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

@Adam: Metroid Fusion is the latest Metroid game, though—canonically (which I'm sure is what Sakamoto meant)...

@romulux: Thanks for the link to the boxart and the new pictures/art; they're all looking awesome.

I was hoping E3 would bring news of an earlier release date for Other M, or the announcement of a Metroid title for the 3DS but sadly neither thing happened. Right now I'm just waiting to hear Corbie's first impressions of his time with the game. On an unrelated note, it's been months since I've seen my own thread, I should bookmark it, since the options on this board aren't as robust as the other board I frequent...

Also, to those of you who've pre-ordered from GameStop you'll be getting an art folio with 16 high-quality cards. Looks nice, huh? I hope there'll be more bonuses added as its launch date approaches, though, like maybe a t-shirt (like the Prime series) and/or a poster (like with Trilogy)...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

In context, it did not seem like he meant the last game in the story arc, if that's what you mean. I'd check again, but it was otherwise an uninteresting interview with little insight into the development. Where do the Prime games fit in, actually? They're not non-canonical. Nintendo produced them. I've never really thought of Metroid as needing a time line because the stories were so sparse up until Prime Trilogy.

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

I didn't mean that the Prime series isn't canonical, but they aren't the latest ones (in fact, they're prequels). The canon of the Metroid series is as follows:

Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid II: The Return of Samus
Super Metroid
Metroid: Other M
Metroid Fusion

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

Who knew Samus was so busy between the original and 2!

Also, Pinball has a plot?! Wowzers. Only ever played a demo of it, myself.

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

Samus is quite a busy gal...

And it doesn't have its own separate plot; it's just a retelling of Metroid Prime in pinball format...

@zez: Who knows, but this is one pre-order bonus I do not intend to miss out on...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

romulux

maybe this explains why kenji yamamoto isn't doing the soundtrack...

retro doing a donkey kong interview:
"Just an interesting note, the same composer that did all the Metroid Prime stuff is working with Nintendo's composer on the NCL side, Mr. Yamamoto. We have a long relationship with him, and the goal was to use the familiar melodies but bring them into a more contemporary sound. We didn't want it any other way."
looks like retro have claimed yamamoto as their own. he's probably too busy with donkey kong for metroid this time.

Mandoble

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mandoble, do you only post on these forums when you have something bad to say about a game?

That's not the case, I already said wonders about MPT, Zelda TP, MH3 as well as LKS. Obviously be me only saying wonders about Wii and Wii games I would not have you asking me why I only post things when I have something positive to say. Sorry but I'm simply a Wii user, not a Nintendo fan boy.

Mandoble

Adam

Who is doing the soundtrack then?

Come on, friends,

Deviant_Mugen

I like his opening theme for Monster; he seems like a good fit...

NotEnoughGolds

Mandoble wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mandoble, do you only post on these forums when you have something bad to say about a game?

That's not the case, I already said wonders about MPT, Zelda TP, MH3 as well as LKS. Obviously be me only saying wonders about Wii and Wii games I would not have you asking me why I only post things when I have something positive to say. Sorry but I'm simply a Wii user, not a Nintendo fan boy.

I just see you go missing for months at a time, then come in out of nowhere to bash a new Wii game, then disappear again.
I actually also have some doubts about the control of this game, I would rather them take out the first-person element completely if they're only going to use it for scanning (snooze) and... stationary fighting.
But I'll wait until we have more info before deciding that this game sucks just because it doesn't use the Nunchuk.

NotEnoughGolds

romulux

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

I just see you go missing for months at a time, then come in out of nowhere to bash a new Wii game, then disappear again.

just let it go, it's the internet. bashing things is practically what it's for

citizenerased

weirdadam wrote:

I just watched the developer interview with Sakamoto on Nintendo's E3 hub, and he completely snubbed Retro and the Prime series, haha. Refers to Fusion as the "most recent" Metroid (presumably considering "Metroid Prime" a separate, related series, though not taking any care to clarify), and then says he hopes fans will play the new game and think, "This is how I want to play Metroid on Wii" (or something to that effect, not a direct quote), which seems like a subtle way of saying, "This is how it should be done, not like Prime Trilogy," haha. I wonder if it is just a misleading translation, I'm reading too much into ambiguous statements, or if he really wasn't all that happy with the Prime games. Anyone else get that impression?

Came to this thread just to see if anyone else noticed this - I definitely agree with you.

Then again, Japan just basically ignored the whole Metroid Prime series, even though they've received better critical acclaim than most of the 2D entries (which I love as well btw). I guess Japan just feels like Western games don't really have the "Japanese spirit" and don't understand the Japanese consumer as much, which might be true.

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

DaVeMaN99

Am I the only one here that is worried about this game?
And not just the story telling and dialogue, but the shooting just doesn't look too hot.
After watching some gameplay clips from E3, it just doesn't look satisfying to kill enemies, and it looks a little clunky, running and shooting all over the place, not knowing what you are locking on to.
I hope I am wrong though. Loved Fusion and Super, but I really don't know about this one.

DaVeMaN99

SuperPeach

@DaVeMaN99 No, you're not alone. I've also worried about it too but I'm just going to see what happens and hope for the best. I have say to playing with the remote sideways to me is not an ideal way to play, thats one of the things that worries me, but I can adapt. When it's out I'll most likey love it.

SuperPeach

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic