Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,742

SuperPeach

I died at the elevator, I had a stupid moment and after shooting a missle at on weak spot I went "Cool anthor spot lets see what happens" so I shot the other one causing poor Samus to be crushed. >.<

SuperPeach

Bigdog

Yeah, I died at the Elevator a few times too. I caught me some serious case of stupid.

The first time I unloaded all my missiles at the lizard and then fell to my death.
The second, I blasted the supports and the elevator killed the lizard.... along with me.
The third, blasted the supports while standing on the ledge, and killed the lizard. But then I wanted to see if the fire "hurt"... and it did. So, I had low energy and then went to the top and one of those critters was on the edge and hit me back toward the hole and I fell down to the fire again and died.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

Adam

PERHAPSTHEFINALSEGMENT(ATLEASTONMYPARTIMEAN)OFSPOILERYSPOILERIZEDCONVERSATIONSABOUTRIDLEY?!
That's possible, but it's not really implied. She is drawing the connection to when he first attacked her as a child, which seems weird to me when she's faced him so many times since. It would seem more natural to have a flashback to Super Metroid if his recent "death" is the shocking part, but I think they were just so gungho on revealing her past (and who can blame them? I certainly want to know more) that they didn't think it through perfectly.

Anyway, since it's not a contradiction of facts, and we don't know how Samus felt in the other games for the most part, I don't guess there's any way of figuring it out for certain. Not that it matters. It was still super duper awesome -- the cut scene, fight, and music.
/PERHAPSTHEFINALSEGMENT(ATLEASTONMYPARTIMEAN)OFSPOILERYSPOILERIZEDCONVERSATIONSABOUTRIDLEY?!

Seriously, if anyone reads one of my posts and complains I've spoiled something, don't say you weren't warned.

Regarding elevators, I died at the first one (haven't gotten to a second one, I don't think) a few times. I hid in the nook once and got grabbed by the lizard, which made me think I wasn't supposed to do that, leading to a frustrating sequence of repeated deaths before I tried it again.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Bigdog

Actually, I appreciate it @Adam. Every time I see your post, I skip the part you have "tagged" and read the rest of the stuff that I have already played.

But that's one of the most infuriating things in gaming... when you have the right idea about what to do in a situation, but because of a fluke thing it makes you think it's wrong and then you go on a wild goose chase looking for a better option.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me in Super Metroid, on that wall jumping section with the critters. Ended up spending a long time doing a bomb jumps all the way up. This usually happens to me at least once in a good Zelda game, too.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

NotEnoughGolds

Bigdog wrote:

Yeah, I died at the Elevator a few times too. I caught me some serious case of stupid.

The first time I unloaded all my missiles at the lizard and then fell to my death.
The second, I blasted the supports and the elevator killed the lizard.... along with me.

lol, my first two were the same.
Then, I jumped to the bottom to run out of the shaft. Death #3
Then, I figured out I need to hide in a nook. Death #4 as the lizard grabbed me with his tail, held me up in the air, and let the elevator slam down on me.

Edit: I rule

Edited on by NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds

Adam

Oh, nevermind, regarding the Ridley discussion. I get it now. Just got to the big halfway reveal cinematics. Very nice.

Come on, friends,

The_Fox

Metroid_Fan wrote:

JayArr wrote:

8 -12 Hours long.

This true?

Not according to my Wii, which tells me I played this game for eighteen hours and forty minutes yesterday (and I still haven't finished it). I'm sure that pretty much every review is just based on the story's length (point A to point B), and they didn't actually bother to try looking for the more deviously hidden pick-ups...

Wait, you played a game for nearly 19 hours in a single day?

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Kid_A

So I just beat the game. Well, you know, the first end anyway. Do they explain the title Other M later on or should I just continue my assumption that it's simply an anagram for Mother?

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Adam

SPOILERYSPOILERSPARTTHESECOND
I would assume it stands for other Metroid(s) or other Mother (MB). I'm not done yet though.
SPOILERYSPOILERPARTTHESECONDCONCLUDEDTHANKYOUSOMUCHFORREADINGMYSPOILER

Maaaan, the game just gets awesomer and awesomer by the second from the Ridley fight onward. Can't wait to get home tonight and hopefully finish it. Definitely the best 3D Metroid. I'll have to replay the 2D ones someday soon because I'm not even sure if all of those are better. Metroid 1 & 2 definitely take a back seat for me.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

Mild Spoilers
The ending of the game: hmm. One one hand the twist at the end is very cool, and it wraps up an over all excellent story. I just thought the last little bit, which has Samus sort of reflecting on the whole adventure, wasn't particularly effective. Then again, the game isn't exactly over over once the credits role. In fact it only gets more fun So we'll see. Maybe there's more to the ending I just haven't seen yet.

Adam

I'm curious what your completion time was, Kid A. I get the feeling I'm nearing the non-100% end, myself. Don't know what my time is right now, but it couldn't be close to the 20+ hour mark usually associated with 3D console adventures. I quite hope it turns out to be as short as I'm suspecting it is. I look forward to trying hard mode, but not if it's going to take me forever.

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

Just an estimate, but probably around 9-10 hours. I actually quite appreciated it's brevity. I hate it when console games add in needless objectives to try and stretch out the length (like finding the energy cells in MP3). Plus there's plenty to do once you beat the game

NotEnoughGolds

Adam wrote:

I'll have to replay the 2D ones someday soon because I'm not even sure if all of those are better. Metroid 1 & 2 definitely take a back seat for me.

Pfft the original is still freakin' sweet.

NotEnoughGolds

Arigner

weirdadam wrote:

I'm curious what your completion time was, Kid A. I get the feeling I'm nearing the non-100% end, myself. Don't know what my time is right now, but it couldn't be close to the 20+ hour mark usually associated with 3D console adventures. I quite hope it turns out to be as short as I'm suspecting it is. I look forward to trying hard mode, but not if it's going to take me forever.

I may add, that to really know what time it took, go see in your log on the wii hub.

BIT OF SPOILERS
Also, about Ridley, think of this about 2 minutes: even if she killed him about 5 times (6 if we count Zero Mission), she was sure that it was it final end in Super Metroid: there was no matter to clone for: the planet freakkingly exploded! So, for her, he was finally destroyed for ever. Until she learns otherwise....
END OF SPOILERS

Edited on by Arigner

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

ganondwarf16

i'm stuck on sector 2. I just passed a navigation booth and my path is obstructed and needs the super missle to blow up. I do not have the super missle yet and can't find another path. Can anyone help?

ganondwarf has always been short

Deviant_Mugen

I also died once at the hands of the falling elevator, then the next time around I remembered one of the impression articles I'd read prior to the game's release which mentioned hiding out in the alcove, so that's what I did...

@Adam: My file says I was just 7 minutes shy of 19 hours, (my Wii says 35 minutes shy of 30, though) of course, I got all the pickups, so that probably added on an hour or so...

Regarding the Ridley discussion, not really topical or spoilery, but how f'ing evil did Ridley look all silhouetted when he first reveals himself to Samus? The glowing, piercing green eyes were an awesome touch...

The Fox wrote:

Wait, you played a game for nearly 19 hours in a single day?

Yes, yes I did; it's that awesome...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Kid_A

ganondwarf16 wrote:

i'm stuck on sector 2. I just passed a navigation booth and my path is obstructed and needs the super missle to blow up. I do not have the super missle yet and can't find another path. Can anyone help?

Could you be a little more specific? I know what part you're talking about but I can't remember the context

Taya

I haven't read through this whole thread and this has probably been answered already so I appologize.

How difficult is this game? I've heard a few people/reviews mention difficulty and I've never ever played a Metroid game before. I also prefer easy games because I'm a big crybaby.

I don't mind dying a few times but I don't want to get really stuck on a hard boss or a hard hallway or something, you know?

Taya

Adam

Taya, it is a decent challenge, but I think anyone should be able to do it with effort. Because of the way the sense move (dodge) works, I found myself just tapping the D-pad over and over during most of the boss fights so that I'd always dodge. A few will catch you by surprise, but I beat every boss on my first or second try, I believe.

The challenge is more in figuring out what to do. Many rooms have very obscure paths to the exit. Of course, if you get stuck, you can always use a guide, so it's not like the game should be impossible no matter how stumped you are.

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Pfft the original is still freakin' sweet.

I don't disagree. All the games, other than Prime 3, were pretty awesome in their own ways, I thought. But goodness gracious that game needs save points, even if just at the elevators and bosses.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic