Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,745

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Oooh are we talking about samus' hot a**?

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

Adam

Of course that would be the first time you contribute to the conversation.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Deviant_Mugen

Damn it, still the same result as last time (Game Over), even though this time around I have six energy tanks to spare... >=[

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Philip_J_Reed

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Anyway I'm only played for about 45 minutes and just reached sector 1 (I keep stopping to explore every room because I'm crazy). Definitely having fun so far. Chicken, you might finish this game before I do, since I will be in Vegas next week.

We'll see. I spent an embarrassingly long time chasing a red herring tonight. (At least, I think so.) [Intentionally mild spoilers follow for a section of the game that nearly all of you passed about an hour after you started playing...] I was in that room in Sector 1 with the big terrarium set in the wall. I noticed a hole blown in the glass, which wasn't there before (that I noticed) so I rolled in and explored. While exploring, I heard a certain tell-tale nibbling sound that I remembered from an earlier forced-first-person Where's-Waldo puzzle, so I kept walking in circles for about 10 minutes or more, switching perspectives back and forth, trying to find the little critter who made the noise the first time I heard it.

I never found him. Either I'm awful at locating him, or there's nothing there and I'm making myself crazy. If it's the latter--and it probably is, I admit--then I wonder why they put that nibbling sound in there, and made it so it gets louder or softer depending upon your distance from the "source." Especially since the source doesn't seem to be visible...?

Ah well.

I am loving this game. I've fought a whole slew of bosses so far. Or mini bosses. I have no idea. I love them. The sleeping monster was a great touch. It's lovely to find stuff like that, realize you'll have to fight him in a moment's time, and you have just a little relaxation period in which to catch your breath and say, "Aw, crap."

Plenty of seat-jumping moments, too. And the whole sliding in and out of cinematics thing that Big Dog pointed out earlier has been responsible for me taking a LOT of damage. I see a big monster approaching in a cinematic...then he rears back to attack me...and then he sends me flying, because I didn't realize the cinematic had ended. AND I LOVE IT.

Excellent game. Two hundred trillion out of 10. Or a nine out of 10. I haven't decided, but one of those.

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

the_shpydar

I'm playing at about the same rate as you Chicken, so don't feel too bad. =) I also probably won't have time to play it again until Friday, which sucks (i don't want to play unless i know i have at least an hour or two of uninterrupted time available). At least it's Labor Day weekend, so the office is closed on Monday!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Deviant_Mugen

And that's all she wrote, folks! I've beaten Other M already. I'm going to have to go back and re-watch the last cutscene, though, because while it was running my DVR turned on and started recording (Psych), so by the time I used another cable to get the AV cables hooked up directly to the TV, the credits were already rolling. This game was absolutely amazing and well worth waiting for. It might not be a reviewer's wet dream, but I could care less, because I loved it. All that's left to do now is to grab all the pick-ups, which should keep me playing for at least another day considering how tough some of them are to find and/or get to...

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Excellent game. Two hundred trillion out of 10. Or a nine out of 10. I haven't decided, but one of those.

It's definitely the former, CB...

BellGoRiiing wrote:

Stuck on Ridley now....HALP! lol

The fight with Ridley is pretty straightforward, just dodge his hits and nail him with a charged Plasma Beam shot after you evade. Also, when he turns black you have to blast him with a missile (or Super Missile, not sure). And whatever you do, do not let him catch you when he rushes you or he'll do that attack where he scrapes you along the wall, which, of course, does a lot of damage...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Joeynator3000

Hard for me to tell which bosses are subs and which ones are majors. xD
I'm guessing that lava creature thing was a major boss, Ridley is definitely one of them. I'm just gonna add the tank thing too...just because its big. xD

romulux

i also beat it today. i was looking forward to this a lot, but i wasn't expecting it to challenge super metroid as my favorite. other m's not as perfect and, effective as it is, the music doesn't even close... but the gameplay is so much fun.

Metroid_Fan wrote:

So, I've got a question: any of you guys have the power bombs yet?

it's really hard to answer without spoiling, but i will say that you never really get authorized to use them...

SUPERZELDAMAN wrote:

Oooh are we talking about samus' hot a**?

you knew it'd come to this sooner or later. it's definitely pushing the sexualization, but i wouldn't say it crosses the line. it's hard to say that giving her a strong butt is really any worse than showing her in her underwear constantly as a reward for beating the game.
Untitled

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Deviant_Mugen

Going through the different sectors to find all the pick-ups; I just got done with Sector 2, now on to Sector 1...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

hulklol123456789

Im gonna get these game, I acually don't care that adam let or not let samus to use weapons, I preffer that as a stupid history that samus lost ALL his powers AGAIN!

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

Mono05

Stuck at (giant spoiler). I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

thank you for not spoiling the game for everyone else :3 -- TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Wii FC:5191-5381-0878-4626
Mario Kart Wii FC:3352-6384-5091
Tetris Party Deluxe FC: 090465065880
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11: Moe0521
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom FC: 1935-2104-2320

Kid_A

Nearing the end of the game (I think). Just got my Gravity Suit. You're really a walking arsenal by the end of this game.
And now, brace yourself for a

MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!!
I was kind of disappointed by the Samus/Adam relationship. I think they could have done a lot more with that, and I can't believe he killed the little genetically modified Metroid baby. But what's more surprising is that Samus was going to kill it first...wait. He shot Samus because he said "I can't let you destroy those Metroids"...but he shot the Metroid...so...what? And can somebody explain why he went in the Sector Zero Metroid room thingy and deployed it into space? I couldn't really keep up with that scene.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

romulux

oh my god. just finished 100%... the end is so worth it. the final boss is a shock.

by the way, if you haven't played yet skip this post.

Kid_A wrote:

MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!!
I can't believe he killed the little genetically modified Metroid baby. But what's more surprising is that Samus was going to kill it first...wait.

samus took the risk of saving the baby metroid last time and it backfired and cost the lives of a bunch of scientists and nearly rebooted the space pirate's metroid cloning program. the fact that she was prepared to shoot it meant that she had learned her lesson that there's no safe way to keep metroids alive.

Kid_A wrote:

He shot Samus because he said "I can't let you destroy those Metroids"...but he shot the Metroid...so...what? And can somebody explain why he went in the Sector Zero Metroid room thingy and deployed it into space? I couldn't really keep up with that scene.

samus was determined to destroy the metroids herself, but with her weapons there was no way she could fight them. regardless, she never would have let adam sacrifice himself to take them out even though it was the only way, which is why he stunned her so that she wouldn't interfere and get herself killed.

the cloning sector was set to jettison and self destruct as a fail-safe in the event that the lab became too damaged to safely contain the metroids, which adam exploited to destroy the sector.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Deviant_Mugen

@romulux: 100%, you say? Then that means you know how to get the missile tank that's trapped behind some glass in the Bioweapon Research Center. Care to help a fellow Metroid-head out? It has me stumped. So far the only way to get to it that I can think of is bomb jumping, which I suck at, so I hope that isn't the way in there...

Never mind, I got to it. The way the path is hidden is quite clever, and you'd never notice it unless you look at it from just the right angle...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Deviant_Mugen

I finished it with 100% collection rate now, too, and loved the challenge of locating all the pick-ups (some of which are quite tricky to find/get to). Oh, and I loved the cameos from Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. The game and the Wii definitely count playtime differently, since my file says I was just seven minutes shy of nineteen hours, while my Wii says I was thirty five minutes shy of thirty hours. Either way, the game definitely met, hell exceeded, my expectations and overblasted all the doubts I had in the head. I'm sad that it's over and done with, but there's always Hard mode! I'll probably leave that play-through for another time, though, when the game's not to fresh in my memory...

I loved the image gallery, but I think the video gallery easily surpasses it in greatness, especially since I enjoyed the hell out of both the story and the voice acting. I guess all that's left to say is: when is the next Metroid game coming out?!

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

romulux

Metroid_Fan wrote:

Never mind, I got to it. The way the path is hidden is quite clever, and you'd never notice it unless you look at it from just the right angle...

i know just what you're talking about, and yeah, that was a b****. it may not have had many puzzles, but somehow it felt tougher to find all the items.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Deviant_Mugen

@romulx: It's true that the pick-ups weren't as numerous as in previous Metroid games, but they were definitely more challenging to find/obtain. I remember looking around a room in Sector 2 for a few minutes because there was a blip on my map, and it turns out the missile tank was under a fallen stalactite that I was standing right next to, and getting it was as simple as rolling under the stalactite with the morph ball. I can't wait to play this game again on Hard mode later on...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

The pick-ups are definitely some of the most fun to look for in this game. However, they're also, at least so far, the least satisfying once you do find them.

Not only is there the very strange lack of collection theme (seriously, what gives? I want the game to be excited when I find a power-up, too), but most of them are missiles. I know it adds up, but expanding your missiles by a measly 1 when you can very quickly and infinitely reload just isn't quite as exciting as finding a whopping five without the reload ability. In past games, I'd seek out power-ups not just because exploring is fun but because I'd feel compelled to expand my arsenal, but no so here.

As usual, my disclaimer is that I'm playing maybe two hours a day, so I'm not too far.

On another topic, Metroid fans will probably already be familiar with this awesome site devoted to speedrunning and sequence breaking, Metroid2002.com, but their Other M thread (particularly the first few posts) is hilarious: http://m2k2.taigaforum.com/post/the_official_other_m_sequence...

Edit: Ah, I thought I was just doing the infinite bomb jump wrong, but apparently there is an invisible ceiling programmed to stop you from bomb jumping higher than your normal jump height, according to the same thread. Dang.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic