Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,742

Deviant_Mugen

JayArr wrote:

8 -12 Hours long.

This true?

Not according to my Wii, which tells me I played this game for eighteen hours and forty minutes yesterday (and I still haven't finished it). I'm sure that pretty much every review is just based on the story's length (point A to point B), and they didn't actually bother to try looking for the more deviously hidden pick-ups...

weirdadam wrote:

Ohh, yes, I almost forgot the only real complaint: the forced-first-person sequences.

Yup, that was one of my complaints as well, but, thankfully, only the first two of those are difficult/vague. A word of advice: if you have 'B' pressed down as you're looking around you can pass right by what you're supposed to find without the cursor going red, so just pick a spot to center the visor on and look around while your vision is locked to avoid wasting minutes of valuable playtime.

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Adam

Odnetnin wrote:

something or other

I thought you were going to send me that game, but after awhile of no blue light, I looked at my PMs and I think you'd said you'd wait until the calendar shipped. Anyway, I got Ufouria. If you want to get me something now, I can PM you with a suggestion, but I'll have to think about it first. Well, if you have 800 points to spare, DKC2 would be nice. I forget how much you said you were willing to spend.

As for ranking the games, I'd say this is better than Prime 2 and 3 easily. Ignoring Hunters awesome multiplayer, better than that, too. Unless you are really good at video games, better than Metroid 1 & 2, too. I'd say it is on par with Prime 1, but it's hard to say. I think this style of game play and storytelling is much more befitting the Metroid series than Prime's style, but Prime 1 nailed what it set out to do, while Other M's praise always comes with lots of little exceptions. As an idea, Other M beats Prime, but perhaps not in execution. This comes from someone who has only played four hours, though.

Panda wrote:

panda panda panda

Awesome, good to know. Every one of them has taken me a long time so far, but only that one stumped me completely.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Deviant_Mugen

@Adam: Ridley's not really a spoiler, though, since the very first Other M E3 trailer showed a piece of the Ridley fight (where he's scraping Samus against the wall)...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Kid_A

Metroid_Fan wrote:

JayArr wrote:

8 -12 Hours long.

This true?

Not according to my Wii, which tells me I played this game for eighteen hours and forty minutes yesterday (and I still haven't finished it). I'm sure that pretty much every review is just based on the story's length (point A to point B), and they didn't actually bother to try looking for the more deviously hidden pick-ups...

Most reviewers were probably going by the timer on their save file. I'm not sure how it counts time, but mine is definitely lower
than my actual time.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Angaran

Kid_A wrote:

Well, my complaints and praise have been pretty well documented, but here's how I would score it (on the Nintendo Life scale)
Metroid Other M: 9/10
The Good: Outstanding control scheme that's both fun and strategic, good balance of action and exploration, compelling story, well produced cutscenes, Samus' voice is spot on, epic battles and boss fights, seamless transition between cutscenes and game, great soundtrack
The Bad: Script is mediocre at best, art direction is not the series' strongest, some poorly textured environments

As for how I would rank it...
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime
Metroid Other M
Metroid Fusion
Metroid
Metroid Hunters

I think pime and Other M should switch

Angaran

Odnetnin

Not that I don't trust you or anything, Adam, but I guess I'd prefer to wait since I'm out of points now and I'm gonna get a card for Christmas. Sorry.

Also I don't really like Prime so I hope it's better than that. I don't expect it to be better than Zero Mission, which is one of my favorite games ever, or even Super, which is really good too, but the story and action appeal to me more than any other Metroid game's so far.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Deviant_Mugen

@Kid_A: Perhaps, I wouldn't know what my file says regarding my playtime, since I've yet to see that title screen since I started playing. I'm sure I'll find out in a bit when I turn on my Wii to finish this awesome game.

Another thing: any reviewer that lobbed false accusations at Other M for "removing the series' trademark exploration", clearly did not spend enough time with their save file before writing up their review. Some of the pick-ups are really challenging to locate! And those that complain about the map showing you where the pick-ups are, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission already did this way before Other M. It doesn't matter that the game shows you where the pick-up "is" if you don't actually know its specific location or how to get to it, now does it? I got stumped on a few pick-ups for about 30 minutes before figuring out how to get to where they were, and damn was it rewarding...

Adam

Well, that's local exploration. The exploration the original games are known for is in actually finding where to go on the map, too, not just finding something within a specific room. Not that I'm complaining, just noting the difference. I don't think every game has to be Super Metroid. Fusion was fun without that. In fact, we're at a point where the majority of Metroid games are fairly linear in progression, ignoring the unnecessary secrets. I like both styles, myself.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

NotEnoughGolds

Anyway I'm only played for about 45 minutes and just reached sector 1 (I keep stopping to explore every room because I'm crazy). Definitely having fun so far. Chicken, you might finish this game before I do, since I will be in Vegas next week.

Edited on by theblackdragon

NotEnoughGolds

Arigner

Odnetnin wrote:

How would you guys rate it so far? And how would you rank it compared to the Other M(etroids) of the series?

Glad to have you back, Adam. You wanted Uforia, right?

So far? I would give him a 8.5 or 9, but hell, havent finished the game yet,so.

Where I would place it? Third.

Super Metroid
Prime 1
Other M
Fusion / Zero Mission
Prime 2
Prime 3
Metroid 2
Metroid 1 (sorry dude, but you're so nothing compared to the rest..)

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

romulux

Adam wrote:

the only real complaint:: the forced-first-person sequences.

i could definitely see where reviewers were coming from on that one, however, i also think the game does give you some clues. the blood on the ground will strike you as something you should look at, the problem is just noticing it's there. the (spoiler?) federation badge on the first space pirate is also reasonable considering that you're studying it's body to figure out what it is. but yeah, they definitely should have added a slight sparkle or something to make it easier (still not as cheap as having to bomb every surface in metroid 1).

i'm also disappointed with kuniaki haishima's score, but i can see why he went that way. those ambient sounds ratchet up the anxiety early on, it's just that the effect fades and you start to miss real music. i don't think there's a single moment where i wanted to stop and pay attention to the music for a while, something i usually do with metroid. it does make you feel more like samus, so it works at what it does, but i miss kenji. at least the real orchestra is great.

also, i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the samus butt. team ninja definitely helped with her model.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Kid_A

I haven't had any problems with the forced first person sequences, but I can see why others might find them annoying. As its been said, two of them were pretty vague.
Since it's been brought up, I'm actually a big fan of the soundtrack. It's not the most memorable, but it really fits the mood. The orchestrated stuff is great--wait till you hear the theme during the Ridley battle.

Arigner

Push your button that permit to do the diagonal shot, then jump without moving, or you will do a flip jump.

Chrono_Cross

Do you pick up Super Missiles or do you do it manually? I have no idea, I find this Metroid to be drastically different from any of the others.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Deviant_Mugen

So, I've got a question: any of you guys have the power bombs yet? I'm at (what I assume is) the final boss, and the power bombs would definitely come in handy (actually, they're probably required), the problem is that Samus hasn't had them authorized yet, so I keep dying... =|

@Chrono: You're authorized to use them when you get to a certain point...

Kid_A

Chrono Cross wrote:

Do you pick up Super Missiles or do you do it manually? I have no idea, I find this Metroid to be drastically different from any of the others.

None of the Missiles in Other M are pick-ups. Once Super Missiles get authorized, they're activated by holding down the A button whilst in first person--like a charge shot. The catch is, they use up 5 missiles. Pretty nice balance actually.

Arigner

Odnetnin wrote:

You sir are a lifesaver.

No prob!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic