Wii Forum

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Showing 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,750

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,001. Posted:

oh what fun the melee attacks are. i was one of those people who saw the reveal trailer and thought they looked stupid, but there's a huge difference when you're the one playing. it's so natural in combat, seeing samus throw one of those stupid swarming bugs into the wall makes you realize "yes... i've always wanted to do that, but didn't know until now"...

Metroid_Fan wrote:

I'm starting to like Anthony's character...

never forget him.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,002. Posted:

romulux wrote:

Metroid_Fan wrote:

I'm starting to like Anthony's character...

never forget him.

He's unforgettable...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,003. Posted:

not inserting this because it's so big, but it's a great shot: http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p3Dw57J9oGoLOzGlr3OauTX...

water is beautiful in this game

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,004. Posted:

Progress report: Just got done fighting Ridley and all I'm missing as far as suit upgrades go are the Gravity Suit (or whatever the Varia's gravity functionality will be called), he power bombs, the space jump and the screw attack (forgot to mention them, but I just got them). I've been playing all day, so it should be no surprise that I'm almost done; obvious though it may be, it still saddens me to know I'm almost finished with this awesome game and its enthralling story (not that I'm going to rest until I have all the pick-ups, of course)...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,005. Posted:

man, i must have a lot more restraint than you guys; still in sector 1, trying my best to pace it but it's really hard to resist the urge to just blow through it all right now.

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,006. Posted:

Apparently so, romulux. I popped it in as soon as I got home from GameStop (at 11 AM) and I've been playing ever since...

AuthorMessage

Faron

1,007. Posted:

After reading your comments it's starting to seem that this game is actually slightly underrated. I'll keep my expectations low anyway, to get the most of it.

Faron

AuthorMessage

Deviant_Mugen

1,008. Posted:

I'm apparently right at the end of the game, with only a few more tasks left to accomplish, but first I'm doing a pick-up round up to be fully prepped for the boss (or bosses) that still remain. I'd keep going, but I woke up at 9 AM yesterday, so I'm dog tired...

By the way, any fans of Metroid Fusion will enjoy a certain late-game boss fight...

Random side-note: I love how the speed booster makes Samus sound like a runaway locomotive...

Edited on by Deviant_Mugen

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

1,009. Posted:

romulux wrote:

man, i must have a lot more restraint than you guys; still in sector 1, trying my best to pace it but it's really hard to resist the urge to just blow through it all right now.

haha, you're not alone, man. With games like this (and Zelda) I tend to pace myself. I really want to soak in the areas and atmosphere...and if I pass by anything that even remotely assembles a branching path, I can't allow myself to progress any further until I do my best to explore it.

It means I'll be among the last people here to complete this game, but...that's not such a bad thing. :)

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

Bigdog

1,010. Posted:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

romulux wrote:

haha, you're not alone, man. With games like this (and Zelda) I tend to pace myself. I really want to soak in the areas and atmosphere...and if I pass by anything that even remotely assembles a branching path, I can't allow myself to progress any further until I do my best to explore it.

It means I'll be among the last people here to complete this game, but...that's not such a bad thing. :)

Same here, I won't proceed until I've checked EVERYTHING I can with the current tech I have. Still right past Sector 1. It was REALLY hard not to play this thing until early this morning, but I'm going to (try) to pace myself and play a few hours a day so that I can finish by the weekend.

Already, I can tell I'm going to be playing this game a bunch of times, just like I do with Super Metroid. This is the kind of game you can go back to after a while, and blast through it.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

AuthorMessage

Bigdog

1,011. Posted:

@Faron: I won't say the game is underated, because I don't think it is. Most places are giving it 8-9, which is fair. (IMO, 9 is the perfect score). The thing is that when you look at the criticism, then you look at the score that the criticism is coming from, it doesn't match. Like, IGN gave it an 8.5 but when you read the review it sounds worse. Same with 1up, giving it a B-, but the way it talks about it almost like a failure.

I'm going to use a crude analogy, please don't take it as disrespectful: Say you are talking with a buddy about a new girlfriend/boyfriend. The buddy asks you how good they look and you accurately say "8-9". Then, you start talking about specific stuff and you focus on the "shortcomings" that keeps him/her from being the most beautiful person you ever saw. Why? Because you already established they are a gorgeous woman/man (8-9 range) so now you are comparing it to perfection (10) and so it's going to SOUND worse than it is. It's just natural progression in a conversation, and if you pay attention most people do this kind of comparing for everything. It's natural when you are trying to explain about something of high quality. (The inverse is also true... say you are reading about a moderately bad game... you are going to start to see it compared to Superman 64, or another all time bad game)

That's what most reviews are sounding like. The scores are about right, but when you read the stuff it focuses on the reasons it's not a perfect game, or how it compares to "Super Metroid". I have a beautiful lady, but if I start comparing her to say... Scarlett Johanson/Megan Fox... then you can see how the conversation may sound a bit negative even though she's one of the most beautiful woman I ever met.

Now, there's just no excuse for a fair reviewer to give this game 2/5 scores, or really anything less than a 7 even if you are the most pessimistic and unsatisfiable of people. But most places are being fair in their scores, the medium is an 8 (a bit low IMO, but definatelly fair), they just focus more on what they didn't like when they are writing, since it is much easier to put into words.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

AuthorMessage

romulux

1,012. Posted:

^i'd liken it to the first resident evil games, where you have quirky gameplay that drives people nuts while other people love it. some people complain that characters controlled like tanks and the fixed camera angles led you to run into off screen zombies, while other people would praise those things as being intrinsic parts of the tension; if you had fluid control of your character and a mobile camera all the fun would be lost (see: re5).

other m isn't nearly as quirky, but it is the most ambitious metroid and it offers a more unique experience that you're either on board with or not. you have to invest a lot more in order to learn the new controls and gameplay mechanics, and if you're not willing to open up and learn to play the way the developers want right from the start then you'll get confused have a hard time keeping up. this is why reviews that contain "it's not how i expected" in them always wind up negative, because they came in wanting something else.

anyway, games like this don't generally get 10s because 10 implies that anyone can enjoy it. sin and punishment 2 is in the same boat; 9's across the board, but the game itself really didn't do anything wrong to lose that last point. it's just clearly not a game everyone can play.

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

1,013. Posted:

I rented it and liked it a bit more than I expected. There are a few gameplay things that annoy me, such as the whole replenishing missiles thing and not being able to use your abilities until you're allowed, both of which just feels dumb. (we can't type that one other word starting with R here?)

They writing and dialogue are as terrible as I feared however. I prefer Samus to be a stoic loner with a mysterious past, not some crappy anime reject.

All in all, a solid 6 out of 10 from me.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

AuthorMessage

LordJumpMad

1,014. Posted:

As I Feared.

Samus went back to The Kitchen......

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage

nintendo87

1,015. Posted:

loved it and beat it first day i love the hidden boss!!!

wii 3229-9200-0934-2907
mkw :3179-7167-7341
bomberman blast 4468-3868-1040
DRmario 5600-8768-0503
Tetris 2793-3911-5894
onslaught 0345-6216-9036
Alien Crush 4941-0760-5763
3DS 5026 4420 7567

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,016. Posted:

My Wii doesn't like this game. Half the time when I put it in it'll say "Disc Cannot Be Read". Thankfully, I really like this game, so I refuse to rest until it reads the dagblasted disc.

On a side note, how does everyone feel about the slow, over-the-shoulder-cam sections? I actually think they're pretty cool. Forcing you to slow down in some of the creepier areas really adds to the mood.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

JayArr

1,017. Posted:

8 -12 Hours long.

This true? Rental game has rental all over the rental if it is true.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

1,018. Posted:

the obvious solution, Kid_A, is to never shut off your Wii once you've got it up and running. ;)

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

1,019. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

the obvious solution, Kid_A, is to never shut off your Wii once you've got it up and running. ;)

Or, better yet, just sit down and beat it in one sitting :O

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Adam

1,020. Posted:

I love this game, and I do not authorize any of you to disagree. That said, I'm still not sure why I haven't authorized Samus to use gravity or varia suit, but whatever.

Music is really boring. I'm very surprised this is my one and only complaint so far, maybe an hour and a half in. Of course, I didn't go into this expecting to blame Sakamoto for ruining my life, either, so perhaps my expectations were not quite as low as some.

The D-pad works better than the analog ever did. Makes moving during camera angle changes much, much easier, and is just all around great.

There is lots more to praise, but I'll go play instead.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.