Forums

Topic: Metroid: Other M Hype/Discussion Thread (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS SO BE CAREFUL)

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,742

The_Fox

I rented it and liked it a bit more than I expected. There are a few gameplay things that annoy me, such as the whole replenishing missiles thing and not being able to use your abilities until you're allowed, both of which just feels dumb. (we can't type that one other word starting with R here?)

They writing and dialogue are as terrible as I feared however. I prefer Samus to be a stoic loner with a mysterious past, not some crappy anime reject.

All in all, a solid 6 out of 10 from me.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

LordJumpMad

As I Feared.

Samus went back to The Kitchen......

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

nintendo87

loved it and beat it first day i love the hidden boss!!!

wii 3229-9200-0934-2907
mkw :3179-7167-7341
bomberman blast 4468-3868-1040
DRmario 5600-8768-0503
Tetris 2793-3911-5894
onslaught 0345-6216-9036
Alien Crush 4941-0760-5763
3DS 5026 4420 7567

Kid_A

My Wii doesn't like this game. Half the time when I put it in it'll say "Disc Cannot Be Read". Thankfully, I really like this game, so I refuse to rest until it reads the dagblasted disc.

On a side note, how does everyone feel about the slow, over-the-shoulder-cam sections? I actually think they're pretty cool. Forcing you to slow down in some of the creepier areas really adds to the mood.

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

JayArr

8 -12 Hours long.

This true? Rental game has rental all over the rental if it is true.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

Kid_A

theblackdragon wrote:

the obvious solution, Kid_A, is to never shut off your Wii once you've got it up and running.

Or, better yet, just sit down and beat it in one sitting

Adam

I love this game, and I do not authorize any of you to disagree. That said, I'm still not sure why I haven't authorized Samus to use gravity or varia suit, but whatever.

Music is really boring. I'm very surprised this is my one and only complaint so far, maybe an hour and a half in. Of course, I didn't go into this expecting to blame Sakamoto for ruining my life, either, so perhaps my expectations were not quite as low as some.

The D-pad works better than the analog ever did. Makes moving during camera angle changes much, much easier, and is just all around great.

There is lots more to praise, but I'll go play instead.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Adam

Ohh, yes, I almost forgot the only real complaint (I can live with boring music, god created Pandora for a reason): the forced-first-person sequences. It's like playing Where's Waldo? except you aren't told in advance who Waldo is, and more boring.

I just beat some giant purple thing, looked vaguely like Ridley I guess, toward what I can only assume is the end of Sector 1, and spent literally half an hour not knowing what the heck the game wanted me to scan in order to progress the game. I still don't know what it is. I had to turn off the game and lose all my progress. Awesome.

And unfortunately for me, I absolutely love every other inch of the game, so it looks like I have to do this.

Can anyone help a guy out? There's a man on the ground, some of the soldiers are standing in front of me, behind me is some kind of vehicle and a building I just came out of. I'd be indebted to you forever, except not really.

Come on, friends,

Noire

There's some green goop off to the left side of the truck that you have to zero-in on, Adam

and now you are forever indebted to me, though not really

Edited on by Noire

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Adam

Thanks. You're the man.

Hopefully it doesn't take long before some sort of scan guide is made, because I get the feeling I'm going to be needing one to finish the game. Judging by reviews, I'm not the only one who has a problem with it, either. I'm surprised this element made it through testing.

...though I must say I look forward to blasting that purple bird guy thing again.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Arigner

Well, its just that we don't have the scan visors from prime's games. With it, it would have been a little too easy for it, I think!

Goldeneye Friend Code: 0079-8601-0876

Adam

...or they could have just not put it in? I mean, it's not like it's fun or anything. It's just pointing the remote randomly around the screen. Every instance so far would have worked much better if it just went straight to the cut scene and showed Samus spotting it on her own.

Come on, friends,

Chrono_Cross

So I'm in Sector 3 and well am I supposed to have the Varia Suit yet?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

JonWahlgren

Adam wrote:

Thanks. You're the man.

Hopefully it doesn't take long before some sort of scan guide is made, because I get the feeling I'm going to be needing one to finish the game. Judging by reviews, I'm not the only one who has a problem with it, either. I'm surprised this element made it through testing.

...though I must say I look forward to blasting that purple bird guy thing again.

There's really only two stumpers for those, the other instances are much easier to figure out.

JonWahlgren

Nintendo Network ID: johnnypanda | Twitter:

Kid_A

Stuck on Ridley. Without spoiling anything, the whole fight and the cutscene leading up to it are pulse-poundingly epic. This game just keeps on getting better and better! The story has gotten far more compelling, and the quality of the voice acting took a big leap as well. This game is well on its way to becoming one of my top 3 Metroid games.

hylianhalcyon

So far this game is great. I just got to the beginning of sector 3, and can't wait to find out what the deal is with that white fluffy critter. The cutscenes are good, and the voice acting and dialogue aren't as bad as some reviewers made it out to be. Switching between 3rd and 1st is seamless, and I don't understand the complaints about not being able to move in 1st, why would you need to? It is a different kind of Metroid, but I like it.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

Kid_A

Well, my complaints and praise have been pretty well documented, but here's how I would score it (on the Nintendo Life scale)
Metroid Other M: 9/10
The Good: Outstanding control scheme that's both fun and strategic, good balance of action and exploration, compelling story, well produced cutscenes, Samus' voice is spot on, epic battles and boss fights, seamless transition between cutscenes and game, great soundtrack
The Bad: Script is mediocre at best, art direction is not the series' strongest, some poorly textured environments

As for how I would rank it...
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime
Metroid Other M
Metroid Fusion
Metroid
Metroid Hunters

Edited on by Kid_A