Forums

Topic: Mario rocks!

Posts 21 to 34 of 34

mnementh

I'm kind of disappointed. It looks like it will be a great game and it's really nice to have Yoshi, but the game doesn't look as epic as the first. The hub gave the game an adventure look and the story, the story was so important to me.. it was touching and inspiring.

This looks like indeed Miyamoto wants more levels, harder challenges, just for the sake of the levels and the challenges... that's great for many but not what I was looking. Not really makes me want to buy this although I eventually will to continue/complete the series and especially because of Yoshi. And this will hurt the reviews of the game as well. A missed opportunity in my opinion Much more looking forward for Metroid other M.

EDIT: and if there's no pointer control for star collecting, then it sux... I loved that too. Looks like this sequel did everything in contrast to what I wanted (except for adding Yoshi).

Edited on by mnementh

So ends a saga older than time itself.
The World's oldest and fiercest army has been led to victory, and a lost generation
is delivered from its fear of extinction. As the sun sets over the
field of conflict the dinosaurs disperse, hoping never to set foot
in this place a...

SwerdMurd

@mne - yup. I think it looks fun, but given the onslaught of more original titles this summer I can't see my 50 dollars going near it for a while. Hopefully someone else will buy it and toss it my way for a bit, but one brand new 3d mario game per generation is fine with me. Keeps em fresh and high-quality.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

Digiki

weirdadam wrote:

Mario 64's castle was very memorable with lots of secrets to find, especially in the DS version. Deflino Plaza was less memorable, though Yoshi made it a lot of fun regardless. But Galaxy's hub was just an empty boring space ship thing that was a pure waste of time until the flying cap, which would have made an empty room fun, so it's still nothing to say about the hub itself. If they're not going to put effort into it, I'd rather the map instead. Maybe in Galaxy 3 they'll make a hub that's actually fun again and include an optional quick select.

Also, no star bit shooting? I hadn't noticed that. Good riddance.

Completely agreeable post, this one.

As is the earlier power-up one, SMB1 and 3 nailed power-ups. The original gave you what you needed and nothing silly, while 3 added complexity but didn't let power-ups destroy the difficulty level. Whereas World could be exploited for the most part with the cape, or blue yoshi.

Super Mario 64 was excellent as well, the power-ups were enjoyable , but not in your face in the way that Galaxy gameplay completely changes for the worse, whenever a power-up is obtained. Sunshine was pretty bad with power-ups since you were stuck with one for most of the game, instead of some good old platforming, we got some bad dull climbing.

Once you get sucked into the freedom of 64, the sequels lack lustre.

retired_account

I loved Delfino Plaza. I wasted far too many hours just doing acrobatics on the rooftops. I agree though, Galaxy's hub was pretty lame.

retired_account

Donatello

I still miss the quicker and more zippity controls of Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy is a tad too slow for my liking. would be nice if they sped it up a tad'

Donatello

Donatello

pixelman wrote:

I loved Delfino Plaza. I wasted far too many hours just doing acrobatics on the rooftops. I agree though, Galaxy's hub was pretty lame.

Very sad to say and suprising, but Super Mario Sunshine is the only Mario title I havent really played. I remember renting it back in the GCN days, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I basically played it for an hour or 2 but that's it. But now after watching several YouTube videos for it, it looks fantastic

Donatello

Rhansley64

The New Power up reminds of Golem (Pokemon) for some odd reason but other then it it looks awesome.

Rhansley64

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4690-1695 | Nintendo Network ID: Rhansley64 | Twitter:

Olorin

Rock Mario looks awesome, and I'm glad they kept the ballroling levels in as well.
I tried watching the trailer on the Dutch Nintendo Channel and it crashed my Wii (twice at exactly the same spot) I hope the game itself runs better

TheBeyond

They took a hint from Majora's Mask with Mario's rock power-up!

Edited on by TheBeyond

I want All-Stars for VC.

SuperMarioFan1995

The level select in SMG2 looks good to me...

Best thread ever.
Currently Playing:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Paper Mario (VC), Zelda: Majora's Mask (VC)

SuperMarioFan1995

So basically, the map select screen is similar to SMB3 and SMW. The NSMB DS/Wii map is in there, too.

Come now, why is anyone disappointed with the map system? It looks really fine to me.

Best thread ever.
Currently Playing:

SuperMarioFan1995

It's still gonna be a great game. But I just still don't understand why all of you hate the level select screen. :/

Best thread ever.
Currently Playing:

SpentAllMyTokens

I'd really like to see some level design regarding powerups that harkens back to the era of 2-d where there are some levels that power ups can help make the level easier (or more difficult), and it's not necessarily obvious when you're given the option of getting a power up, which one will make the level easier. Just about every level with powerups in the past 3D outings were designed to require a specific powerup which was made available right when the level started. That's fine (especially in one or two levels to learn how to use it), but I do feel it takes away part of the challenge. Adding in an element of choice (which could make the level easier or harder, but not impossible and would allow you to find more or less other non-star goodies on the way), would make things more interesting.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Adam

Token+Girl wrote:

I'd really like to see some level design regarding powerups that harkens back to the era of 2-d where there are some levels that power ups can help make the level easier (or more difficult), and it's not necessarily obvious when you're given the option of getting a power up, which one will make the level easier. Just about every level with powerups in the past 3D outings were designed to require a specific powerup which was made available right when the level started. That's fine (especially in one or two levels to learn how to use it), but I do feel it takes away part of the challenge. Adding in an element of choice (which could make the level easier or harder, but not impossible and would allow you to find more or less other non-star goodies on the way), would make things more interesting.

Yes, a thousand times yes.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.