Forums

Topic: I lost 24700 Nintendo Points and have them back now :-)

Posts 1 to 20 of 105

invmat

This is what happened:

My Wii was broken and had to be repaired. Because repairing this Wii was too expensive, I got (in fact: bought) another Wii (my warranty had been expired). When I got the new one, I was installing everything (set back save data that was copied to SD card, update Wii Firmware, set back all Miis that had been saved on my Wii remotes). But when I opened the Wii Shop Channel, I had 0 unused Wii Points (which should be 400). Furthermore, the Wii Shop history was empty, the list of downloaded games was empty and all original prices were shown on every previously bought game. It was basically an empty account.
I had been through most of this one time before (except for the part of an empty WSC account). This was not the first time my Wii was broken. Therefore I knew that I had to set back all save data etc., but I also knew that my Wii Shop Channel account should be transferred. I contacted Nintendo by e-mail. I gave very detailed information in this e-mail. I gave them my old and my new serial number, my reparation number and I said that I could also give them my Club Nintendo information so that they could see the list of my games collection (where all WiiWare and VC games are shown) as evidence. I got a standard mail back as response. The standard mail asked me to contact them by phone, so I did.
I contacted them by phone and explained everything and that it was about more than 20000 Nintendo Points. They checked if the account was transferred. This was the response: ¨Sorry, but you changed your country settings to the UK on your old Wii. In order for us to transfer it it needs to be set to the Netherlands.¨. I was stuttering (sorry if that is the incorrect English word): ¨Yes, yes.... So basically, I just lost everything¨. I got a yes as response.

Now, before you are going to say ¨You stupid Dutch boy, why did you have to change it anyway?¨,
I had my reasons to change it. This were my reasons:
-First of all, some games are in Dutch because Dutch is selected as language in my Wii Settings.
-I just don´t like Dutch as language for games. Most games are made in English and later translated to Dutch, which means the text is not original and therefore there can be bad translations and possible jokes which are messed up.
-I can understand the English used in games perfectly well. I can´t speak or write English very well (I´m sure you can find many mistakes in this post).
-The Nintendo Channel in the Netherlands was somewhat neglected. At least, when it is compared with the one in th UK. Therefore I changed my settings so that I could see the Nintendo Channel in the UK.
-When you change country settings, the Wii Shop Channel says that you will lose all pending gifts. I did not get any gifts at all and that was shown as the only downside, so I continued.
-Basically, I can´t see a message or article that warns for this kind of situation at all. Not in the Wii Shop, not on the internet, not on Nintendo´s website, not in the manual.
-I´ve always seen NoE as one organisation. Especially since it is all about PAL Wiis. I never suspected that Nintendo Benelux and Nintendo UK (or whatever it is exactly in the UK) were separated in this way.

I can still show that this story is true by showing the list of games in my Club Nintendo account or by giving all card codes (yes that is true: I have every single (used) Nintendo Points Card right here). But it seems that there will be no way to get everything back. I don´t know who should be blamed: me for changing my country settings, or Nintendo for being unable to do anything with such a (slight) difference.

This is where the ironic part of the story comes. If they had repaired the old Wii, I would have paid more but would still have all my VC/WiiWare, which could have been cheaper overall. Furthermore, the old Wii was broken because it crashed at random times. If I knew this would happen, or if they opened up their mouths (I have clearly stated in the letter I sent together with my Wii when it had to be repaired that there was content for more than 20000 Nintendo Points which should be moved), all of this would not have happened because I could have tried to set it back.

Well then, I´m curious to see your reactions.

Edited on by invmat

invmat

nervegamer

That sucks, but at least you got to experienced those great games. If I was in the same situation as you I've would cry and whine like a little kid..

Wii friend code: 7550-9290-0071-8083
SSBB: 1033-3563-9782
Mario Kart Wii: 0131-4144-2322 Gamertag: Rebelscum501 Do or do not there is no try

iphys

I don't understand: If you replaced your Wii rather than repairing it, how would it have ever been possible to get your old content onto the new Wii? Is there a specific piece of hardware that can be moved from an old Wii to a new Wii to allow your downloaded games to be played on a new Wii?

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

sykotek

Wow, that's a bummer, so Nintendo in your area said they wouldn't/couldn't help you out? Maybe you should try contacting Nintendo in the other area. I can't imagine they'd just leave you with everything lost like that.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

invmat

iphys wrote:

I don't understand: If you replaced your Wii rather than repairing it, how would it have ever been possible to get your old content onto the new Wii? Is there a specific piece of hardware that can be moved from an old Wii to a new Wii to allow your downloaded games to be played on a new Wii?

The Wii Shop Channel account is bound to a console in the same way the Serial Number is. When they pick a new Wii they transfer the Wii Shop Channel account from my old serial number to my new one. So even when a Wii is damaged completely from the inside, they can still see the serial number on the bottom to transfer the account by going in their Wii Shop Channel account database.

invmat

Luigi-la-bouncy

Don't blame yourself, I know myself that Nintendo are pretty stingy when it comes to fixing their own products. But, couldn't you just return your new Woi to the shop, get a refund and then fix your old Wii? Surely you haven't thrown it away already?

Luigi-la-bouncy

iphys

Wow, I had no idea your Wii Shop Channel could be transferred at all. If you're supposed to be able to and they didn't forewarn you that changing your region would screw you, then I think they should be responsible for fixing the problem.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

Luigi-la-bouncy

sykotek wrote:

Wow, that's a bummer, so Nintendo in your area said they wouldn't/couldn't help you out? Maybe you should try contacting Nintendo in the other area. I can't imagine they'd just leave you with everything lost like that.

I tried to do that myself with the UK Nintendo ( I live in Belgium) but short of actually moving there for a couple of weeks, there was nothing they could do. Which is a shame as they said they could fix my Wii for free, whereas, Benelux Nintendo wanted 100 euro. That is why my Wii is still broken and the only disc game I can play is Mario Kart, for some strange reason.

Luigi-la-bouncy

invmat

sykotek wrote:

When I contact them in the other area I can see what is going to happen: I explain my story but they need to somehow contact Nintendo Benelux, but I have the idea that they´re not working together and see each other as completely different companies. Besides, Nintendo usually only transfers accounts when they have both consoles in their hands. Therefore, I will probably end with high costs for shipping (over the sea).

Luigi-La-Bouncy wrote:

Don't blame yourself, I know myself that Nintendo are pretty stingy when it comes to fixing their own products. But, couldn't you just return your new Woi to the shop, get a refund and then fix your old Wii? Surely you haven't thrown it away already?

I think the shop where I bought the Wii 2 years ago has the least to do with it. Nintendo must have complete control in this situation, if they haven´t they are not even thinking about solving this problem. Furthermore, I now have my 3rd Wii so the shop will probably not accept it anyway.

Klapaucius wrote:

Wouldn't it work if you set the new Wii's country to the UK? Worth a shot

That is exactly what I did immediately when I was setting up this new Wii. I tried both country settings but no luck.

invmat

mecoy

sucks i lost a 20$ bill once

mecoy

HolyMackerel

Could you possibly send your Wii to a friend in the UK, get them to replace it for you and send it back? Since your country was set to the UK, it should be fine. I'm guessing you don't have your old Wii anymore though.

Still, that's a massive shame.

HolyMackerel

invmat

mecoy wrote:

sucks i lost a 20$ bill once

If it was just €20,- I could probably live with it, of course I wouldn´t like it but it is not as big as this. But €217,- is just sick. I could probably get a 3DS for that.

HolyMackerel wrote:

Could you possibly send your Wii to a friend in the UK, get them to replace it for you and send it back? Since your country was set to the UK, it should be fine. I'm guessing you don't have your old Wii anymore though.

Still, that's a massive shame.

I don´t have a friend in the UK and I don´t have my old one anymore. My old one is somewhere at Nintendo Benelux if they didn´t put it in the trash already.

invmat

Aviator

How much would it have cost to get it fixed compared to buying a new one?

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

invmat

Aviator wrote:

How much would it have cost to get it fixed compared to buying a new one?

I don´t know. The new one had a price of €91,93. They said that reparation was too expensive (however, I think they don´t repare systems at all), but they didn´t give the exact price. The problem was that the intern memory was damaged.

invmat

Golgo

This sucks, invmat. Nintendo need a proper, grown-up transferable account policy for their consoles, as Sony and Microsoft and indeed PCs (Steam, etc.) already have...and have had for years!

aka AbusedDog...
Wii Friend Code/Console Number: 5187 2674 6845 1702
WarioWare DIY (DS) Friend Code: 1463 0244 5199
PSN ID: Abused_Dog

Tizoc

I think you just had the wrong person on the phone and 'Yes' it would have been better to send the broken console to the customer service of Nintendo. But I am sure it should be now problem to transfer your account despite your region settings. Maybe you should try and call and write again to them.

Tizoc

invmat

@Golgo: exactly. I´m curious to see how they are going to transfer DSiWare to the 3DS (if they do).
@Tizoc: I just filled in a survey about the reparation. I guess e-mailing has no effect: the only responses are standard responses. So if there is a way to reach them it is this because they will have to read it at least once.

invmat

Objection

This highlights the very drawback fo download-based services, and I feel for you man.
It's a reminder that at the end of the day, you don't truly own the games. Because it's just data that you could lose at any time. It's why I will always buy a game retail over download if possible, because if something happens to the disc, it's my fault, but usually data-loss comes out of nowhere.

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

hulklol123456789

Dude, It is freaking frustration, it is a big and giant , but so it is, you lost it, you need to accept it, anywaya you learn a lesson, get disks, NOT nintendo points, thats one of the reson because the one I stopped buying, the other reason was, ok lets face it, I know at least 3000 of your points where junk, oks so big and bad smelling junk! There are good and cheap games, but you can't sell them or change them when you get boring you can't lend them to your friends, and when the new wii come, who knows, maybe you won't be able to transfer your games in-there. So dude, get DISKS!!!

Edited on by theblackdragon

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

LordJumpMad

I konw the Feeling, when it comes to something like this.

Nintendo really have to find a better way to do this.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.