Wii Forum

Topic: How do you Play your Wii, WideScreen or FullScreen?

Showing 101 to 120 of 122

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

101. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

TV stuff

By the way did you ever add me on the Wii? I haven't checked my friend list in a while, but you were still grayed out.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

102. Posted:

Whoops Mr.Minimal, i completely forgot. :p
I've added you on my 3DS, but what was quite a while ago. I'll add you on the Wii a bit later tonight. To be honest, I never use my Wii for Online gaming. That may change if i ever Snag Golden Eye 007. And as awesome as SSB Brawl is, the laggy Online makes it almost impossible(at least for me, and many) to actually have proper matches without being utterly frankenstein-frustrated!. :p What a massive mother brain of a dissapointment, i mean this IS SSBros after all and they didn't even get what could of been the most addicting thing ever.....That is, aside from Count Chocula & Christmas Kool-Aid binges hehe. I kid I kid.

Mario Kart however had a phenomneal Lag-free Online mode which i remember playing quite a bit. Excitebots is another i played online for quite a while but that's really it, Online isn't my cup of tea usually. :p

Anyways, back to this boring TV talk. B-)
I need to realise that even next year when all of the 2012 Plasma, LED and LCD's hit the store that they're ALL going to have a certain degree of input lag no matter how small it may be.Nothing seems to ever been lower than the usual lowest 10-20ms mark and i doubt that will change for next year seeing as how these companies aren't taking this laggy matter that seriously.....Game Mode hardly makes a difference, and even if it does you have to disable Dynamic Color for ex. The less video processing the better it will run.

Anyways, screw CRT It's dino-dead....Well, at least for modern gaming, it's a MUST however for retro gaming which is why i'll always have a smaller one on the side for the NES & SNES. :D Yet there's no way that I'd play the Wii U on a CRT SDTV...I'd have to be utterly insane to miss out on 1080HD graphics, Progressive Scan, HDMI, Widescreen and 3D. I need to except the fact that for now these HDTV's will pump out a little bit of lag and that the motion handeling won't quite as be as good as a CRT....

Here's hoping that Plasma's amp up the motion handeling and Cell LIght/brightness levels for next year instead of the typical improvement for black levels and the major focus being 3D(which IS amazing stuff by the way, pretty mind blowing actually....) Too bad you don't get 1080HD for each eye resulting in less clear,half bunzed HD PQ, but the effect is still jaw dropping at times. :o :D I rememeber cruising Best Buya and throwing on those Spiffy 3D Shades and watching some crazy fish literally swimming out of the screen, i can only imagine how amazing this tech could actually be for Wii U games.

Anyways, blah blah, I'll add you in a Nintendo itty bitty' tendoboy ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country Returns!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

103. Posted:

Does anybody know if Wii games(being 640x480) scale better as in looking crisper and clearer going into 1024x768(Which is a 42" Plasma 720p resoltion, which is fixed by the way with rectangular pixels) or into 1080p?

I'm going to be testing my Wii out on a couple of plasma's, seeing as how I'm not too thrilled with my current LCD mainly because of the motion handeling and black levels(for film, it just annoys the hell out of me especially) Plus the motion handeling for first person titles like Metroid Prime ruins the experience in my opinion. :p as if the minor lag wasn't bad enough for Metroid Prime's wii pointer controls compared to my CRT. but this lag is a given with any plasma depnding on how flippin minor or large it may be. Zoink!

I'm either going for a 42" PT350 LG 720p Plasma going for $477 or a Panasonic ST30 1080p 42" Plasma going for $899....then again i can't exactly afford the Panny. sigh* Word is that the Lag on the LG is pretty bad, plus the 4:3 side bars are may be grey instead of black.....those 2 things alone will most likely break it for me. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

JRRD

104. Posted:

So far I've played it in full screen only. But I do plan to buy an HD adapter soon.

GS Forums
Doin' da Goomba Strut!

AuthorMessage

TKOWL

105. Posted:

Widescreen, because I have a widescreen TV; duh.

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL

AuthorMessage

Terave

106. Posted:

I play without screen: Skillzz baby. :D

No, just kiddin', I do play Widescreen. (Even though it isn't even that wide)

Edited on by Terave

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

107. Posted:

Wii WideScreen

• WideScreen makes the experience more amazing, grand, fun and opens up a whole new world into gaming.
  • Softer jagedy graphics with crappier motion due to the Wii's resolution actually really being 'fullscreen' at 640x480p.

Wii FullScreen

• Crisper, clearer visuals with perfect motion. It's the way Wii titles were intended to look in their Native aspect Ratio.
  • Being Boxed in at FullScreen sucks bud! It also takes away that magical experience that WideScreen provides.

I think....I'd actually go for Widescreen, but the weaker motion handeling is the deal breaker here. :p and having to sacrifice something for the other is total Bambi bull dookie! The smaller the HDTV, the more appealing and better widescreen looks. ;)
But, i think either way Wii owners will be missing out weather they use fullscreen and widescreen. Stupid trade offs, thankfully when the Wii U hits THIS will be a thing of the past. Native HD widescreen resolution baby! B-)

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

Terave

108. Posted:

Come think of it, I do have a small TV, but it is Widescreen: Good experience for me. :)

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

109. Posted:

Just picked up a 42" Plasma a couple of days ago, and it actually fares a smidge better in Widescreen than my LCD. But sadly it just can't match the surreal bright image and bright whites that my LCD delivers, plus my LCD is a bit crisper,sharper/clearer when gaming. BUT, the plasma schools my LCD in the motion department....

But that motion comes with that typical dithering plasma effect which is pretty annoying, especially when zipping the camera around on a white background, like in super mario Galaxy the clouds look whacked out texture-wise when you're quickly moving the camera around. Then again, everything looks that way, yet the lighter areas fare worse.

Overall, I prefer the plasma for movies because of the superior motion handeling, which is also great for gaming(dithering aside) but my LCD again has that insanely beautiful surreal bright image and super 'white' whites and a crisper/clearer image. My Plasma kind of looks a bit dull in comparison... I dont know which one i want to keep to be honest. Plasma for movies and LCD for gaming would be ideal, but that would mean constantly switching the two.lol.....On second thought. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

JGMR

110. Posted:

If I'm gonna play Resident Evil (Wii, the Gamecube re-issue) I have to switch to 4:3 in order to play fullscreen. Otherwise, my setting is 16:9.

With kind regards,

JGMR

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

111. Posted:

Looks like I've figured out my little annoying Plasma/LCD situation. Since i can't have the both of best worlds, meaning not being able to have Plasma motion handeling for my LCD or getting that surreal extremely bright image that LCD proves along with those beautiful bright whites on my Plasma, i've decided to keep both. PLasma for movies because of the superior motion handeling, and LCD for gaming becauses of the amazing brightness, bright whites and crisper/clearer image....Besides the Plasma i have has horrible input lag and light grey side bars when viewing the Wii in 4:3. :p it's great for movies though! I don't care if there's a slight drop in resolution since it's 720p(more like 1024x768) compared to my 1080p set. Motion handeling is much more important to me for movies.

Oh, and uh...Yup! Still keeping it at 4:3/Full screen on my 42" 1080p LCD. :p
And ahhh, no more TV BS talk for me, it's finally done with and Ive found the solution to my problem....Although it's going to be pretty annoying since i'll be stwitching the TV's from one another. lol sigh*

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

112. Posted:

Sorry for bumping this up but for VC waves what are your settings? Do you keep the Wii on Widescreen and the TV in 4:3?

Edited on by KaiserGX

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

113. Posted:

Widescreen all the way.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

Knux

114. Posted:

Up until recently, I did fullscreen since I used a SDTV. But now, I upgraded to widescreen since I now have a HDTV.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage

iphys

115. Posted:

I usually go with the 4:3 option, but it depends on the game. I like the way the 16:9 gives you a wider angle, but I hate that it comes at the cost of making individual objects look less detailed. If the 16:9 actually increased the horizontal resolution I would use it all the time, but as it is, I only use it when there is an advantage to having the wider angle. For instance, I think you can see farther ahead on the track in Excitebike World Rally using 16:9, but if I'm playing Tetris Party I'd rather use 4:3 to have more pixels allocated to my tetrominoes.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage

Stereoman

116. Posted:

all the way widescreen ! Otherwise maybe my pikmin would get lost in a dark cave.

Stereoman

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

117. Posted:

Here's a question, do you think it helps to set your Wii to 4:3 but have the TV set to 16:9? Theoretically it would give you slightly crisper visuals for widescreen.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

Stereoman

118. Posted:

CapnPancakez wrote:

Here's a question, do you think it helps to set your Wii to 4:3 but have the TV set to 16:9? Theoretically it would give you slightly crisper visuals for widescreen.

pancakez u talk about 4:3 for pikmin or in general ?
well either way i would opt for 16:9 widescreen. In pikmin2 for example u have ingame option for deflicker. Either u want soft and blurry visual or crisp and jagged visuals for pikmin2. So if deflicker is set on you get a softer image. But for any strategy or tactical game i would always recommend widescreen ! Especially for scurry hundreds of pikmins.

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

119. Posted:

4:3 when I'm using it with my SD bedroom TV (where it usually is), widescreen on the odd occasions when I decide to hook it up to my HD living room TV.

Edited on by RevolverLink

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

120. Posted:

16:9 is for goober heads & noobs. :p Semi kidding aside...I mean ya, 16:9 is more asthetically pleasing...Sort of. But for the quadro zillionth Zeeonth' time the image looks soft/blurry and dull which is not suprising since your basically expanding 640x480(Full screen ratio of wii games) to fill in the sides resulting in inferior picture quality. I personally prefer to play my Wii games in their native 4:3 resolution which gives you the clearest, crispist and sharpest image period. I've also noticed that the motion slightly takes a hit in widescreen mode as well. I can't bother with it. But on smaller smaller HDTV's like 32" to even 37" at the right distance 16:9 looks alright. Bump it up on a 40-42+ and 16:9 looks awful imo.

Finally, with Wii U games we'll 'get' true widescreen(1280x720 & 1920x1080p) B-)