Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,080

Deviant_Mugen

CaptainDingo wrote:

Does anyone own Metroid Prime Trilogy? Did the multiplayer in MP2 get a Wiimote upgrade?

I can't think of any split-screen multiplayer FPS games for Wii.

Yes, the multi-player in the trilogy edition of Echoes does use the Wiimote, and it works like a charm in split-screen. The only other Wii game that I've played with split-screen has been Red Steel, and it's also fun, it's too bad that the maps and weapons are so boring, that's why I'm waiting anxiously for GoldenEye...

Hell, we still play multi-player on the original GoldenEye all the time at my house...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

hulklol123456789

Well I must sya im pretty exited about these game

Not only because it looks great, so because these is my first person shooter for the Wii, and I really want to try it out, you know... split screen, multiplayer, campaign, oh well, im just very very exited.

Edited on by hulklol123456789

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

Marvelousmoo

CaptainDingo, I understand that graphics are important, I just don't care as much as you do. I am always playing games from the previous generation most of the time, and I have learned that it is always the old games, whether I played them when they came out or not, that capture me the most. I am a huge fan of SNES RPGs, and I think they are way better than the RPGs we get nowdays. The ones nowdays aren't bad, but you cannot add something without taking away, and I think that the improved graphics have taken away the gameplay experience from a lot of games. Shooting games are a little different. The better the graphics are, the better the games become but at a shallow slope. Just because graphics are a little better doesn't make the game overall better. My favorite shooting game of all time is Timesplitters 3, and probably the reason for that is its innovative mapmaker. Of course the mapmaker would be more fun with better graphics and better ways to make maps than with tiles, but there isn't a single game that has produced something as great as that. I guess that my point is that the value of a game doesn't depend on the graphics, and I am not going to turn this down just because of it.

Marvelousmoo

romulux

CaptainDingo wrote:

Does anyone own Metroid Prime Trilogy? Did the multiplayer in MP2 get a Wiimote upgrade?

now that you mention it, yes, i have played that and it works perfectly. i was never good at it on the gamecube but i was able to hold my own with the wiimote. the mode still wasn't that fun unfortunately...

when it comes to graphics, modern warfare 2 looks amazing. and boring. very, very boring. looking technically good doesn't mean the game will necessarily be any funner to play, and it often doesn't even allow the game to look good from an overall visual standpoint. put all the advanced lighting effects and textures you want into a game, after wandering through 20 different fields of debris it kind of doesn't matter anymore. even if you don't think it's technically impressive, goldeneye at least has some fun looking levels to play through.

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

CaptainDingo

Trust me, I'd rather play Goldeneye than Modern Warfare 2 any day of the week, even if Goldeneye looked three times worse than (I think) it does now.

I just remember Goldeneye sucking me in with its atmosphere. I think I could still get sucked in to a few of the levels, like... whatever that level is where you get the Moonraker laser (been a long time...).

If the game ends up being great in every way (even appearance-wise) once we get it running on our own TVs, you can all rub it in my face. I don't mind.

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

Kid_A

romulux wrote:

i've never played split screen with a wiimote so i don't know how it works, but that sounds like it could be right, still aiming at the center of the screen even though you're in a different segment. it could be disorienting at first since you're not as directly pointing the wiimote where you want to aim, but the cursor position was already something relative that you never directly aimed anyway.

It's actually not as disorienting as you would think. I played a lot of Red Steel with friends and the controls work surprisingly well.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

romulux

this is interesting: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24171

"GoldenEye for Wii is going to feature an accessible control scheme that echoes the original game's controls. In the scheme, you use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but you don't use the sensor bar.

It works by having all of the character movement done on the Nunchuk. The control stick functions the same way the control stick functioned in the standard controls in GoldenEye 64. When you press A, you can use the stick to strafe, which is similar to what the C buttons did in the original."

it kind of misses the point of strafing which was that you could do it while moving, making you faster. i'll stick with the standard wiimote scheme.

romulux

more stuff: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2010/09/29/goldeneye-...
"One main area of concern for the development team was meeting the expectations of the fans in terms of the controls. GoldenEye 007 revolutionized FPS controls on the console and in order to make sure that the new version meets expectations, five control schemes provide different levels of control, from schemes suited to the casual to hardcore gamer... extensive internal testing and balancing has been completed to ensure that regardless of which controller you are most comfortable with, you won’t be at a distinct disadvantage to a player using another control types in competitive games."

not sure i like the sound of that. if they had made each scheme as perfect as possible, i think the wiimote would clean house. i hope by 'balancing' they don't mean reducing it's speed in any way to handicap the remote users.

CaptainDingo

I just hope we have a full suite of Wii remote options available to us like in Red Steel 2 and Conduit. No bounding box resizing controls, no buy.

...I'm kidding. But I'd be disappointed.

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

romulux

huzzah!

• Dead Zone
  • Max Turn Speed
  • Horizontal Turn Speed
  • Vertical Turn Speed
  • Cursor Sensitivity
  • Auto Re-center
  • Turn While Off-screen
  • Aim Assist

http://www.nintendojo.com/news/single-stories/goldeneye-007-p...

"Widdows said that Activision and developer Eurocom worked “really closely with Nintendo” to make the controls as good as possible. And this partnership included “working really close with the Mario Club in Europe” to optimize Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls, he said."

makes me feel much better.

Edited on by romulux

romulux

another new video, focusing on the maps this time: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/10/01/goldeneye-007-maps-vigne...

the new ones are a little too call of dutyesque, and... ugh. there's a sewer level. but the ones based on the original game actually look fun and kind of recognizable. maybe if they showed you more than 2 total seconds of gameplay it'd be easier to see the levels, but whatever, it's just one month away. with the good news about the controls above all my doubts are gone, just release already!

nr_09

dont know in that movie the players where shooting like **** so stil dont know about controls

wii fc (5466 8601 7571 1915)

romulux

i'm pretty sure it's the players. no one is ever good at a game in demo videos. also, it looks a lot more action packed when you're spraying bullets everywhere rather than neatly hitting your target, so that might be deliberate.

Oregano

romulux wrote:

i'm pretty sure it's the players. no one is ever good at a game in demo videos. also, it looks a lot more action packed when you're spraying bullets everywhere rather than neatly hitting your target, so that might be deliberate.

It's also evident that when you're shooting from the hip you have no aim assist but when you aim down the sights you do and I don't think they were that bad then, a lot of the shots were quick and accurate... especially compared to the characters vignette!

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

romulux

either way they're not using the remote controls. the slow moving cursors and straight left-right lines of movement tell me that's dual analog all the way.

Oregano

romulux wrote:

either way they're not using the remote controls. the slow moving cursors and straight left-right lines of movement tell me that's dual analog all the way.

Could be their new spangled classic style controls but yeh, that's not a pointer.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

Kyloctopus

I can't wait for Goldeneye, I'm alredy deciding on my first multiplayer game.
Score Limit, Hot Shot, Move Your Feet, Revenge, Rubber Grenades, Tag, In the Sewer

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

romulux

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24205
"Through the different ranks you'll unlock different weapons, attachments, and add-ons. There are even gadgets, such as timed mines..."

as much as the call of duty stuff disinterests me... the idea of being able to choose proximity mines or remote mines for your online loadout is pretty sweet, although in the end i suppose it's not much different from the sticky grenades and c4 in modern warfare....

irken004

Tasuki wrote:

Amazon is saying November 2nd for the release date is this true?

That's been the rumored release date so far. Sounds legit though.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.