Forums

Topic: GoldenEye Discussion Thread (OMG OMG OMG)

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,080

Oregano

lighting=so good, you can see it in that vid when he walks past the windows and also any time he fires. There's a lack of good muzzle flash effects in games, Valve games probably have the best but this looks superbly done.

Textures are also really good, just compare it to Modern Warfare Reflex which has a whole load of low res textures. Character models are super detailed too, nice and clean look.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

hulklol123456789

I just hope these game to be really cool, im probably gona wish it for christmas.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

CaptainDingo

irken004 wrote:

The graphics looks decent, but the environments look good. Reminds me of CoD MW reflex. Graphics aren't everything people. All of you Wii owners should know that by now.

I think most of us are aware of that, but just because graphics aren't everything doesn't mean that they aren't anything. After all, I think many of my fondest memories of Goldeneye 64 were just how great the game looked, in tandem with the fact that the game was so fun.

Also, how the graphics are faring can tell a lot about the rest of the game. If I see a haphazard or lazy presentation, I can sensibly expect the rest of the game to also have little effort or care put in. I mean, a lot of the characters don't even have shadows under their feet... not even circle shadows from the N64 days... it raises hell with my depth perception, but moreover, it just seems lazy for a Wii game, which we know now from many great games over the years is capable of visual presentations that look midway between GameCube and Xbox 360.

I don't think everyone commenting on the graphics is being shallow, not any more than you or I might be shallow for wondering what a pencil drawing of a stick figure is doing hanging at an art center.

At any rate, it will take more than nostalgia to get me to buy a retread of Goldeneye. If it fails to at least recapture and rejuvenate what made the original so entrancing, it will be a huge disappointment.

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

Oregano

Except in comparison to MW: Reflex(which is what most people compare it to) the only downside to Goldeneye is the shadows(and it's unlikely but the game likely hasn't gone gold yet so that may change), the texture detail is a lot better, the character models have more polygons, the game has awesome lighting(from the floodlights to the nightclub, to muzzle flash), the animations seem a lot better as well, not just the cinematic bits but the actual movement(especially the way the guns move with the Wiimote which looks wonky in COD Wii) and there's most definitely attention to detail if you've seen the first level. Honestly people who are saying Goldeneye has bad graphics have messed up standards, needs their eyes checking, or are trolling.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

CaptainDingo

I'm basing my reactions on what I've seen of the most recent trailer (and several recent still shots). I don't have access to a stable (or fast) internet connection, so I haven't had the opportunity to watch gameplay videos or anything like that. I'm lucky when I can watch 45 seconds of a trailer.

No point in telling people they're trolling for having a differing opinion. I only own a Wii and a PC, so I don't see why I would troll on a Wii site to begin with. And I'm pretty sure my standards aren't that messed up, because my favorite game of all time is an adventure game from 1997. Based on the latest trailer, I was very disappointed with what I saw, graphically. I can't really change the reaction I had towards it. I saw a lot of muddy textures and no lighting effects, especially in multiplayer.

And like I said, I don't have the ability to watch long gameplay videos, but I don't see how or why they would look any better than a trailer that's supposed to be showcasing the best elements of a game.

But now that someone brought it up, I actually thought Reflex looked ugly. I think Goldeneye looks better than Reflex, if anything. Might just be me.

Edited on by CaptainDingo

I'm the lead designer and programmer at Three-Headed Dingo. We make adventure games for Steam, but I'm also quite the Nintendophile!

Kid_A

multiplayer trailer: http://wii.ign.com/
the ability to combine multiplayer modifiers? double sold.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

FunderThucker

Maybe my eyes aren't use to the HD graphics since I still think Ps2 games look amazing. So, in my eyes, these graphics are gorgeous. Sure, I've seen some trailers for Halo Reach and Killzone 3, but it still looks pretty damn good. The map looks really boring though, maybe they're just boring people, but I fell asleep watching it.

I am the hero that Gotham deserves.

Ravage

Yeah, it isn't common for a game to utilize muzzle flashes. Most games that do, are stealth or semi-stealth or at least use a lot of shadows. Then with muzzle flashes, mmm... It tastes so good. Bad Company 2 has some pretty good muzzle flash and lighting effects. Actually, they really add a lot to the gameplay. It's too bad that this game doesn't have better lighting.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Marvelousmoo

"a lot of the characters don't even have shadows under their feet". You look at people's feet in a shooting game? If they are going to kill you, who cares what their feet look like. If they had no feet I wouldn't care, I would just want to kill them or get away form them. I understand that graphics have some importance, or consoles wouldn't continually push it. But so many people favor graphics so much that the gameplay value of games is decreasing. Sometimes, you have to give up something to get something else, and I would be glad to give up good graphics for a good game.

Oh and the official website is worth a look now. They've updated it with more locations and weapons now.
http://goldeneyegame.com/canvas/

Edited on by Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo

CaptainDingo

I suppose I'm just not understanding the argument that graphics have to be "given up" in order to have gameplay. The way a development team works, there are gameplay programmers, and there are artists. They are different people, one man isn't saying "Well, I have to decide today whether I want to focus on graphics or gameplay because I alone can't do both." Or I suppose in this case, the real issue could well be with the engine they're using rather than the artistry (as most of the ugliness seems technical), but you probably get the point.

Just because I think the game is ugly, that does not automatically mean I favor graphics over gameplay. That's an unfair way to simplify and label a person and tuck them into a neat little stack to avoid discussion.

And yes, I do look at feet, or the "base" of objects, to see their shadows and register in my mind where they are, depth-wise. It's important to me, personally. It plays havoc with my depth perception when nothing casts a shadow. At any rate, I don't see the need for having noses turned up at me for my observation, I thought we welcomed honest gut reactions about Nintendo games here for better or for worse.

SherlockHolmes

I'm getting hyped for this game. Graphics don't matter. That's why Super Mario Bros. is a masterpiece.

Squadala! We're off!
3DS Friend Code: 3566-1684-2813
Xbox360 Gamertag:Thatreggaeguy
Add me and I'll add back!
Old Username: thelawyer

romulux

i'm baffled as to why wii owners hold their games to HD standards. goldeneye easily looks better than any wii FPS so far, yet being the best the wii can offer is apparently not good enough. it's understandable when an HD fanboy says it because they're used to higher quality graphics, but when a wii fan does it it's just confusing.

does it really look that bad? can you think of many wii games better than this?
Untitled
Untitled

youtube never looks as good as the real game running on your tv, so you have to be a little forgiving of the videos. it's also the case that there are a lot of photos of the earlier builds of the game that don't look as good as the final release will. i posted this comparison before:

romulux wrote:

Untitled
Untitled

the weather and lighting effects are pretty amazing for any system, and if you've been paying attention to the facial expressions and character animations they're extremely convincing. about the only problem i see is that the character models are otherwise a little blocky, but it adds to the goldeneye charm as far as i care. eurocom were responsible for some of the best visuals seen on the wii yet, and if the production values are anything to go by then this game has a much larger budget than extraction did. i'll be surprised if it's anything less than the best looking 3rd party game the wii sees.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

lockelocke

thelawyer wrote:

I'm getting hyped for this game. Graphics don't matter. That's why Super Mario Bros. is a masterpiece.

I agree with you on the first point. But to be fair, the visuals in Super Mario Bros. were mindblowing back in the day. They just shined with color and creativity that no one had really seen before.

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

Oregano

CaptainDingo wrote:

I saw a lot of muddy textures and no lighting effects, especially in multiplayer.

Multiplayer isn't going to look as good as single player but the textures are actually very good in the multiplayer I've seen, they have just the right amount of detail and the lighting(whilst absolutely amazing in the single player) is still very good in the multiplayer as you can still see the muzzle flash AND there's still a lot of lighting effects such as beams coming through the window and the lights in the Nightclub.

It depends what games you're comparing it to though, if it's Metroid Prime 3.... then stop. The Metroid Prime games are divided into little tiny sections that force you to wait behind doors whilst they load and also saying games looks bad if they don't compare to Retro's just isn't fair to all the other developers.

If you're comparing it to the Conduit then lol. The Conduit has much more TEV effects but nowhere near the amount of lighting, bad animations and linear or small levels(when talking about the multiplayer).

CaptainDingo

Oh, well, I found The Conduit to be somewhat ugly as well. I thought it had too much tech and not enough art. I know, I'm picky, since I'm basically saying here that Goldeneye looks like it doesn't have ENOUGH tech.

I suppose it just doesn't look the way I expected it to, overall. It seems dumb, but back in the N64 days I thought it was incredibly cool that shooting enemies bloodied their bodies. Of course, these days having been around the design block myself, I know that it was just vertex coloring and wasn't mindblowing, and that these days we can use decals, just that in the N64 days I never really saw that method used for blood effects before, but I was kind of hoping I'd see interesting use of tech in Goldeneye for Wii in a similar manner.

Hopefully nobody gets the wrong idea, like that I'm trashing the game as a whole. But every time I see it in motion, I get that "iffy" look on my face like maybe they're not trying as hard as they can. I'm just concerned, is all. I get very emotionally attached to games I played to death when I was young, and Goldeneye is near the top of that list of games. I'd call it a beloved franchise of mine akin to Mario or Zelda, but Goldeneye is really just one game, and based on a movie character (who is based on a book character...), for that matter.

There was some earlier discussion about control issues and dead zones and all that. I just thought I'd mention that although playing with 4 separate players creates 4 viewports, a dead zone can easily be overlayed on the entire screen, letting each player still use the entire screen so they aren't aiming only in their own little corner. In fact, I don't see why 4 different dead zones, one for each player, can't be overlayed and sorted out by which player's Wii remote is assigned to which dead zone (so every player can customize their controls).

romulux

i've never played split screen with a wiimote so i don't know how it works, but that sounds like it could be right, still aiming at the center of the screen even though you're in a different segment. it could be disorienting at first since you're not as directly pointing the wiimote where you want to aim, but the cursor position was already something relative that you never directly aimed anyway.

from the reactions so far i wonder if this game will suffer from a touch of 'other m' when it comes out, with a lot of people getting overly emotional and hating it for making changes... no game release will probably ever be that polarizing in this lifetime again, though. i still expect people to be split about whether it was a cash in or a legitimate reimagining.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Cia

^ And so the "fans" will give the Wii another underrated game.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

Oregano

I think splitscreen might be better suited for Dual Analogs though because if you're at an angle you'll be at a disadvantage to the person facing straight on when using the pointer... may be not though.

CaptainDingo

Well, you're technically not pointing at the screen anyways, you're just pointing at the sensor bar which is calibrated with an up or down bias depending where it is compared to your screen. I'm used to pointing at the center of my screen not necessarily equaling my character pointing perfectly forward. You kind of find your own center and just learn to manipulate it. Should be the same deal.

Does anyone own Metroid Prime Trilogy? Did the multiplayer in MP2 get a Wiimote upgrade?

I can't think of any split-screen multiplayer FPS games for Wii.

Oregano

CaptainDingo wrote:

Does anyone own Metroid Prime Trilogy? Did the multiplayer in MP2 get a Wiimote upgrade?

I can't think of any split-screen multiplayer FPS games for Wii.

Never tried even though I own Trilogy. There's also Red Steel(the first one) for splitscreen,

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.