Wii Forum

Topic: Face the facts - Nintendo dominance is not bad, nor is it surprising...

Showing 21 to 37 of 37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

21. Posted:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Saved it from what?

If they had not done what they had done, someone else would have. NES was a hit because of its software, hands down. Nintendo supplyed the lionsshare of the best games of that console and that era. Just like they always do......

If they were ROckstar, perhaps they would simple have released the same 'proven' game over and over until it wore out with interest.....

Nintendo saved it from the video game crash. Trust me, I don't know if anybody else but Nintendo would have done it.
I agree that Nintendo is a hit because of their games. But,Nintendo is releasing too many casual games here lately. We don't want to get to the point that Nintendo just makes casual games and quits making hardcore games altogether.
Wii Sports is a good game, but it lacks depth. There are games on the Wii like Twilight Princess that has depth. You don't want Nintendo to turn into a shovelware company, do you? EDIT:I remember this topic, good times. :D

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

22. Posted:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Saved it from what?

If they had not done what they had done, someone else would have.

Good call. Why do Americans celebrate Lincoln's birthday, anyway? If he didn't free the slaves, somebody else would have...

The fact is it doesn't matter if anyone else "would have" saved video games. Nintendo DID. Ergo Nintendo profited from it. It's all well and good to assume that there were 50 other companies that could have stepped up and saved it, but none of them did. None of them even put forth a real effort to do so.

Nintendo did. Which is where they made their money. And that's what made them the behemoth they are today. Which was your question, was it not?

The reason Nintendo got so big so quickly is because they single-handledly saved the industry. You can pop up and say that someone else might have done it instead. Fine, if that's what you'd like to think, but that doesn't change the fact that that's how Nintendo got so big.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

23. Posted:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

Nintendo did. Which is where they made their money. And that's what made them the behemoth they are today. Which was your question, was it not?

The "question" is an ephemeral and changing thing, it seems.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eugenewrayburn

24. Posted:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Saved it from what?

If they had not done what they had done, someone else would have.

Good call. Why do Americans celebrate Lincoln's birthday, anyway? If he didn't free the slaves, somebody else would have...

The fact is it doesn't matter if anyone else "would have" saved video games. Nintendo DID. Ergo Nintendo profited from it. It's all well and good to assume that there were 50 other companies that could have stepped up and saved it, but none of them did. None of them even put forth a real effort to do so.

Nintendo did. Which is where they made their money. And that's what made them the behemoth they are today. Which was your question, was it not?

The reason Nintendo got so big so quickly is because they single-handledly saved the industry. You can pop up and say that someone else might have done it instead. Fine, if that's what you'd like to think, but that doesn't change the fact that that's how Nintendo got so big.

This is analogy is to simplistic, just as 'Lincoln freed teh slaves' is too simplistic....Nintendo 'saved' th eindustry form the 'crash'

No 'other' company could have done it? Not the way Nintendo did certainly, but you miss the point.....

In reality it is simply positive market reaction and game developer leadership with influential game design.

From DK to Mario to Zelda to Wii Sports and company.

Hardcore, casual = marketing. The real divide is between arcade and narrative games.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ouenben

25. Posted:

The moment I hear that Xbox 720, PS4 and Wii2 are all entirely motion controlled is the same moment I decide that Nintendo's dominance in the home console market was the worst thing to happen in the last couple of decades.

I guess I'm dissapointed because I was always hoping for a stronger, more diverse line up like the DS enjoyed (and is still enjoying) The number of quality games on the system is amazingly high. Wish I could say the same for the Wii.

I've really come to dislike how money grabbing Nintendo are now. Yes they're a business I understand but I mean look at their RRP prices (I know you can get stuff cheaper 2nd hand or in deals etc but this is about RRP)
Wii - £179.99 2 and a half years after release. Retailing for more than Xbox 360 pro pack.
Wii remote + nunchuck - £44.99 seriously...
Motionplus - £24.99 - nintendo announced this would be 'cheap' I was doubting it, looks like I'm right. £25 for an addon to a £30 controller. Wow.
Gamecube NPC Ports - £29.99
Wiifit - £69.99

Worst of all...

DSi - £149.99 - a new handheld that removes a major feature and compatibility with some DS games (Guitar hero, accessories like paddle, Exp packs, GBA support/link) adds some measily cameras and an SD card reader (Which can be got for the DS unofficially)
and they charge £150 freakin' quid for the thing!! The PSP was what £170 when it was released 4-5 years ago and it was pretty impressive handheld tech back then. I can't believe it's come to the point where Nintendo are selling their consoles for almost the same/more than the competitiors despite being seriously dated technology. looks back at Gamecube's £129.99 price tag, GBA SP £89.99 price tag, and sighs

Hell if donkey konga was released on Wii it would probably be £59.99 with one bongo set and extra bongos cost £34.99 a peice.

ouenben

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

26. Posted:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

No 'other' company could have done it? Not the way Nintendo did certainly, but you miss the point.....

No, you miss your own point. Your question was "how did Nintendo get so big?"

The answer is, "It saved the industry."

Could anyone else have saved the industry? That's immaterial and a different question entirely.

Good job pointing out the oversimplicity of my metaphor, too. Why, if I didn't know better, I'd SWEAR that I had made a pointless and simplistic comparison for the sake of getting you to recognize your own...

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eugenewrayburn

27. Posted:

Saved the industry, sure, it was tied to the railroad tracks? They made money before the crash and after it. They sold a system with their own games during a tough market for games.....and some companies hated theer savior, becasue they ran their NES with a blunt stick.....

Some 'savior' right up theri with Barak Obama!

Hardcore, casual = marketing. The real divide is between arcade and narrative games.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

28. Posted:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Some 'savior' right up theri with Barak Obama!

Eugene, please stay on topic. Thanks.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

29. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Some 'savior' right up theri with Barak Obama!

Eugene, please stay on topic. Thanks.

If he's demonstrated anything in the past, oh, 50 posts of his or so, it's that he will not, under any circumstances, stay on topic. Even if that topic is of his own choosing.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

30. Posted:

I was just making a joke, really, because I have nothing against going off-topic, obviously. :)
Though taking a tangent to compare Nintendo to Obama is even farther than I would go.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

31. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

I was just making a joke, really, because I have nothing against going off-topic, obviously. :)

You're wrong about Metroid Prime 3.

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

32. Posted:

That's it. I'm not playing that muscle game with you now. You've brought this upon yourself. Friendship annulled pending further notice.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

miletich3

33. Posted:

I'm even MORE surprised that Nintendo's dominance is withering like a corroded railroad track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NShgvtEro7I

AuthorMessage
Avatar

greyelephant

34. Posted:

ouenben wrote:

The moment I hear that Xbox 720, PS4 and Wii2 are all entirely motion controlled is the same moment I decide that Nintendo's dominance in the home console market was the worst thing to happen in the last couple of decades.

I guess I'm dissapointed because I was always hoping for a stronger, more diverse line up like the DS enjoyed (and is still enjoying) The number of quality games on the system is amazingly high. Wish I could say the same for the Wii.

Hell if donkey konga was released on Wii it would probably be £59.99 with one bongo set and extra bongos cost £34.99 a peice.

Some of the best comments on this thread. Ds rocks and for some reason the Wii just can't get on board with it. Why does every game have to have the "waggle"? Can't we just get some game that play normal but are enjoyable just the same? Motion plus is nice and all, but I fear too many companies are focusing on the wiimote vs focusing on enjoyable games.

Mario Kart code, 4854 6869 0410 "Tim"
Animal Crossings City Folk Code:1119-1011-8429 , Name: Emily, Town: Peachy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

35. Posted:

It's my hope that the Motion+ will allow companies to focus on the Wii remote and enjoyable games. The remote's promise is what got nearly everyone on board, and that promise has until now not been delivered in full. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but that is the mark of a Nintendo fan I'll gladly wear.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

greyelephant

36. Posted:

weirdadam wrote:

It's my hope that the Motion+ will allow companies to focus on the Wii remote and enjoyable games. The remote's promise is what got nearly everyone on board, and that promise has until now not been delivered in full. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but that is the mark of a Nintendo fan I'll gladly wear.

You're right that it's the wiimote that really brought in the newer revolution. Also it's not like Nintendo hasn't released some great games so far. I'm just worried (hopfully won't be after E3) that it's becoming stale if we don't get some software hits coming our way.

Edit:
Weirdadam, he,he,he,he............

Edited on by greyelephant

Mario Kart code, 4854 6869 0410 "Tim"
Animal Crossings City Folk Code:1119-1011-8429 , Name: Emily, Town: Peachy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

37. Posted:

That's my name, don't wear it out!

Speaking of E3, I have been getting super pumped about E3 for the past week or two, really eager to just spend all day at home eating it up. And just yesterday I realized I will be on the road for the duration of E3! Oh no! I'm very sorry that you guys will be deprived of my commenting on those pivotal days. I am hiring a friend to take up my usual duties of swallowing the event in one bite and then spitting it out in predigested chunks (was that too graphic?) for him, and I'm going to call him every few minutes for update, I can just see it now.

Fun times.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.