Wii Forum

Topic: Epic Mickey Early Review(s)

Showing 41 to 60 of 228

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

41. Posted:

Consider it off my "buying for sure" list, but maybe I'll still ask for it for Christmas, we'll see.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

suburban_sensei

42. Posted:

The biggest draw for me is that Epic Mickey seems to remind me a lot of platformers on the N64 (that's a good thing in this case.) However, it is a game I will probably buy next year when the price drops to $30 or below, I just don't have the cash right now. Hope some NL users weigh in on the game, maybe it will push me into getting it sooner than later. :P

Currently Playing:
New Super Luigi U
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Earthbound

Nintendo ID: Suburban_Sensei

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Popyman

43. Posted:

she_gamer wrote:

DF2506 wrote:

It got an 8.0, which is a good score, but I'm not really sure why they gave it that. Yes, they liked the story and characters, but they picked on just about everything else. Which is what I thought might happen. I guess time will tell whether the game is getting fair scores or if the reviewers are just being over critical.

I was wondering about their review as well. I saw the 8, but after reading the review, it should have been more of a 6.5 or 7. Plus it's lowest mark was in the category that mattered to me most... gameplay.

Then Epic Mickey isn't for you, gameplay isn't what it's about.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LEGEND_MARIOID

44. Posted:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=21667

Epic Mickey review by ONM. Its edited, the full review is in the mag....

Metacritic rating is 77% so far

Edited on by LEGEND_MARIOID

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

45. Posted:

Here's Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/review-disney-epic-mickey-188438.p...
and Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-disney-epic-mick...
Something told me this game wasn't going to be great, and I was correct.

Edited on by TheBaconator

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

hulklol123456789

46. Posted:

Im pretty disapointed, the game looks pretty awesome, anyways, I will still wait for NL review.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

47. Posted:

Maybe this Warren Spector guy will finally shut his mouth for once. I'm tired of seeing a new interview everyday other day.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

48. Posted:

All of these reviews sound more or less positive, but I guess it did fail to live up to the massive hype. It reminds me a bit of, oh, I guess Assassin's Creed or Fable - two well loved games that fell short of achieving the lofty goals the loadmouths project-heads set out for them, warrenting a few less than stellar reviews, but ultimately found their fanbase.

In otherwords, I'll rent it or pick it up cheap like I did Assassin's Creed and Fable.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

49. Posted:

You guys are all putting way too much weight into review scores.

Question? Do you like Mickey Mouse (and if you don't, you're got a problem). Do you like platformers? Are you able to enjoy a platformer that is still enjoyable, but not as good as Mario?

If you answer yes to all three, then get the freaking game, you'll like it.

You should use reviews to guide your purchasing decisions, not make those decisions for you. READ the review, decide, based on what the review SAYS (ignore the score ffs) whether it's your kind of game, then go and buy it if it is.

I love games that average under 50% on Metacritic/ gamerankings (Eldar Saga, Kings Field), and I hate some games that average over 85% (GTA: Chinatown Wars). If you really do base your purchasing decisions on a SCORE, then you'll make worse purchasing decisions than if you never read a review before buying games,

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

50. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

You guys are all putting way too much weight into review scores.

Question? Do you like Mickey Mouse (and if you don't, you're got a problem). Do you like platformers? Are you able to enjoy a platformer that is still enjoyable, but not as good as Mario?

1) I like Mickey, but I'm more of a Looney Tunes person. 2) Yessir 3)Yes, but platformers need to be solid throughout, have a solid playstyle, good-level design, and have good cameras. According to most reviews not all the levels are that well designed, the camera is bad enough to impact the gameplay, the paint-thing is interesting but not all that fun, and a quote from Destructoid " Parts of the game are definitely a 4, while other bits are a 10, with a whole lot of stuff in-between." I want a game that is fun the entire time, not just half the time.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

51. Posted:

So what, you buy one or two games a year? Because the number of games that are completely without flaws are few and far between.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

52. Posted:

I use the scores as guides, but I usually buy a game because I was interested in it long before the actual reviews

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

53. Posted:

@Waltz: some of us can't afford to buy more than one or two games a year. if people put a lot of stock into reviews and want to try and find the games with the least flaws, it's their prerogative.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

54. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

You guys are all putting way too much weight into review scores.

Question? Do you like Mickey Mouse (and if you don't, you're got a problem). Do you like platformers? Are you able to enjoy a platformer that is still enjoyable, but not as good as Mario?

1) I like Mickey, but I'm more of a Looney Tunes person. 2) Yessir 3)Yes, but platformers need to be solid throughout, have a solid playstyle, good-level design, and have good cameras. According to most reviews not all the levels are that well designed, the camera is bad enough to impact the gameplay, the paint-thing is interesting but not all that fun, and a quote from Destructoid " Parts of the game are definitely a 4, while other bits are a 10, with a whole lot of stuff in-between." I want a game that is fun the entire time, not just half the time.

Even a flawed game can be fun throughout. Okami and No More Heroes are both flawed, yet they are routinely given praise. In fact, many games have flaws, even the best of them. Yet they're still given praise. Why? Because they were enjoyed despite their flaws. Some didn't even consider those "flaws" to be a flaw - some found them to be part of the charm. That's why you gotta read the reviews (not saying you haven't), so you can determine what is or isn't a flaw within the game before you purchase it, as well to determine whether or not you'll enjoy the game enough to warrent a purchase.

All I'm really asking here is: are you sure you won't enjoy Epic Mickey despite its flaws? I feel like this is redundant, but I still have to ask it.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

55. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Waltz: some of us can't afford to buy more than one or two games a year. if people put a lot of stock into reviews and want to try and find the games with the least flaws, it's their prerogative.

For sure - reviews are there to help inform purchasing decisions.

But people who just take the score at face value are going to miss out on a lot.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

56. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Waltz: some of us can't afford to buy more than one or two games a year. if people put a lot of stock into reviews and want to try and find the games with the least flaws, it's their prerogative.

For sure - reviews are there to help inform purchasing decisions.

But people who just take the score at face value are going to miss out on a lot.

I don't think he is, though. He might, but I think he might just be using the scores to accentuate his points.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

57. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Waltz: some of us can't afford to buy more than one or two games a year. if people put a lot of stock into reviews and want to try and find the games with the least flaws, it's their prerogative.

For sure - reviews are there to help inform purchasing decisions.

But people who just take the score at face value are going to miss out on a lot.

I don't think he is, though. He might, but I think he might just be using the scores to accentuate his points.

Fair enough - to extend it, then, people that don't put the review in context to themselves are missing out on a lot of games.

Given people can handle a few faults in an otherwise good game, I fail to see how any platform fan would not enjoy Mickey. I personally are not that interested, but that's because I don't like platformers much.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

58. Posted:

WaltzElf wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Waltz: some of us can't afford to buy more than one or two games a year. if people put a lot of stock into reviews and want to try and find the games with the least flaws, it's their prerogative.

For sure - reviews are there to help inform purchasing decisions.

But people who just take the score at face value are going to miss out on a lot.

I don't think he is, though. He might, but I think he might just be using the scores to accentuate his points.

Fair enough - to extend it, then, people that don't put the review in context to themselves are missing out on a lot of games.

Given people can handle a few faults in an otherwise good game, I fail to see how any platform fan would not enjoy Mickey. I personally are not that interested, but that's because I don't like platformers much.

The camera issues from what I've read and seen sound like something that would be a deal breaker for most. As someone who grew up with old-school 3D platformers, I can see myself getting around that, but I can't see many others being able to ignore such a flaw. It's an unnecessary hinderance that most don't have to put up with in a modern, quality platformer, after all. That's the most obvious example I could come up with, at least.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheBaconator

59. Posted:

My major problem with the game that the review states is not the camera, but the fact that the game, from the reviews, only seems fun for half the time. Am I still going to get it? Yes. Will I enjoy it? I'll have to find out when I play it.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

60. Posted:

ballkirby1 wrote:

My major problem with the game that the review states is not the camera, but the fact that the game, from the reviews, only seems fun for half the time. Am I still going to get it? Yes. Will I enjoy it? I'll have to find out when I play it.

Find out indeed. However when you say "Fun half the time", is that your impression or a quote from a review? Sorry to grill ya, but I don't wanna make assumptions.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~