Forums

Topic: Epic Mickey Early Review(s)

Posts 141 to 160 of 212

SuperMarioFan96

Stupid homework. It's greatly hindered the time I've been able to put into this game.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Kid_A

NintyFan wrote:

@Kid_A: I really appreciate your impressions, but I have a few questions to ask.

1. Does the game have any easter eggs or homages to modern Disney movies and cartoons, or is it mainly dedicated to the classic Walt-era Disney? Obviously it has the classic aspect in mind, but I just wonder if it has anything beyond The Jungle Book.

2. How's the music? Does it really sound like Disney music?

3. Are the boss battles good and do all have an affect on the story?

1. There are a few homages to more recent Disney affairs, but they're pretty minor. You're not going to see any Lion King or Princess and the Frog in there. This is mostly because the whole story revolves around "forgotten" Disney characters. The more recent stuff is too...well, recent to be "forgotten," you know?

2. The music is spectacular, and it definitely sounds like Disney music. It's fully orchestrated, and while it's mostly all original, you'll occasionally catch a few bars of popular Disney tunes tucked in there if you listen closely I will say they've taken a few queues from Banjo-Kazooie, though.

3. The boss battles are, for the most part, awesome. There's always multiple ways to defeat them, and how you choose to do so definitely impacts the story; sometimes in huge ways. This is a game you'll want to play through at least twice (in fact you'll have to if you want to collect everything)

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

blurays

@Kid_A - Did you get the collector's edition of Epic Mickey? The figurine that comes with the collector's edition
is pretty good quality.

Possible Spoiler - Is there anyway to deactivate that mechanical bot that protects rocket in Tomorrow City with paint?

blurays

LordJumpMad

G4 Loved it
End of story.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Kid_A

nlifegamer wrote:

@Kid_A - Did you get the collector's edition of Epic Mickey? The figurine that comes with the collector's edition
is pretty good quality.

Possible Spoiler - Is there anyway to deactivate that mechanical bot that protects rocket in Tomorrow City with paint?

No I didn't get the special edition, but now I kind of wish I would have. And regarding that robot--nope, you have to use thinner. It doesn't impact the morality system at all though, so you won't be stuck with a bad ending if you use thinner on enemies that need it.

Z_Bone

I think that everyone who reviews this game should play it twice BEFORE they review it to give the most accurate review.

Do the Mario!

Kid_A

Z.Bone wrote:

I think that everyone who reviews this game should play it twice BEFORE they review it to give the most accurate review.

I'm tempted to agree with you. Because you really don't get a grasp of how well designed this game is until you play through it twice with different playstyles. But if you hated the game the first time, another round probably won't change much.

theblackdragon

Z.Bone wrote:

I think that just one playthrough is all you can reasonably ask of any reviewer who's writing for the average joe. a review hosted on a Mickey Mouse/Disney fansite, sure, tell them they should play through it twice before judging whether they like it or not, but in terms of IGN, Gamespot, and here at NL, once is just fine IMO.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Popyman

I have another random question: No spoilers please, but do any of the endings leave it open for a sequel? I KNOW they could fix all these problems but storywise I don't want them to just squeeze another one out when there isn't much left to work with.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Kid_A

theblackdragon wrote:

z wrote:

I think that just one playthrough is all you can reasonably ask of any reviewer who's writing for the average joe. a review hosted on a Mickey Mouse/Disney fansite, sure, tell them they should play through it twice before judging whether they like it or not, but in terms of IGN, Gamespot, and here at NL, once is just fine IMO.

Well, with most games I'd say that's quite true. But this game is definitely an exception: for this game to be fully appreciated, it really does help to play through it twice, to get a better sense of how your playstyle truly does matter. I don't think it's exactly practical when it comes to timeliness, since most people want to read a review or two before they pick up a game, but I see what he's getting at.

theblackdragon

@Kid_A: if i'm going to play a game through once i'd better enjoy it. i'm not going to play all the way through something I hate just because the second playthrough is supposed to be mindblowingly amazing, and I'd like for a review to tell me straight-up how it's going to be during that first playthrough instead of blowing apologist smoke up my rear and telling me it's so much better the second time through. No offense, I understand you enjoyed it very much, but other games do exist that are excellent from front to back, playthrough after playthrough; i'm not going to waste a whole lot of my time (and full retail price) on this if it's just going to be a giant chore to slog through. :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Judging from the sounds of it, the reviewers on IGN, Gamespot, GameTrailers, and mayber even NL actually did play it at least twice. Just saying.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kid_A

theblackdragon wrote:

@Kid_A: if i'm going to play a game through once i'd better enjoy it. i'm not going to play all the way through something I hate just because the second playthrough is supposed to be mindblowingly amazing, and I'd like for a review to tell me straight-up how it's going to be during that first playthrough instead of blowing apologist smoke up my rear and telling me it's so much better the second time through. No offense, I understand you enjoyed it very much, but other games do exist that are excellent from front to back, playthrough after playthrough; i'm not going to waste a whole lot of my time (and full retail price) on this if it's just going to be a giant chore to slog through. :3

No I hear ya. I think I said that in a previous post, too--if the first play through just didn't do it for you, a second go-round isn't either. But if anyone is kind of conflicted in their opinions of the game after their first playthrough (which a lot of people are) I'd say give it another run through. Like I said, I don't think reviewers should be forced to because that's just not practical.

DF2506

I got Epic Mickey earlier than expected.

Here are my impressions so far:

This is such a cool game!

Ok, I'll expand on that:

I think the level design is excellent. I like how bright and colorful the game is. I also like the whole Paint & Thinner aspect. Its so much fun painting in stuff and also getting rid of stuff. I like the decisions you have to make in the game. Oh and the game is NOT easy. Well, at least not for me. lol. Some of the jumping parts are tricky. Of course, yes, the camera is not great. I do agree with that part of the reviews so far. But the story, the paint/thinning, the platforming, the characters, etc are all really fun. And yes, I even like the fetch quests. What can I say? I'm a rpg fan! I live for the fetch quests. I like that you can go back to areas you've been before and complete quests. The role playing element is awesome imo. Epic Mickey is so much more than just a platformer. Its an Adventure game. I don't think most reviews understand that. Most of the reviews I've read see the game as a platformer. Its not. There is platforming, but there's also quests, talking to characters, investigating the landscape, etc. And I gotta say, I love that I'm already thinking, " Yes, next playthrough I'm going to do this." or " That." Lots of replay for this game!

So, ya, the game is not perfect, but I have to say that I'm having more fun with this game than I've had with any other game lately. Well, you know, LittleBigPlanet 2 is not out yet. sigh But Epic Mickey is a really good game imo. Its way too early for me to review it or anything, but I have a feeling that my "score" is going to be higher then the average review I've read of the game.

I can't wait to play more tomorrow! Oh man.

DF2506

TheChosen

After putting more hours into it, the game gets definitely more interesting. Im getting used to the mechanics as well and the camera isnt bothering much now. If were talking about combinations, it reminds me of Banjo Kazooie, with little bit of Zelda and even Deus Ex! 2D levels are still little boring, but only the one's you have to go trough several times. Otherwise they're neat and reeking with references to the cartoon they're based on. Oh, and you can also unlock a Oswald cartoon!

Also, the little enemies in Tomorrow City are wearing Tron-suits. Thats an awesome reference in my book!

TheChosen

DF2506

I disagree about the 2D levels being boring. I think they are a lot of fun. I even like the ones that I have to go through several times. I've been through Thru the Mirror a few times now and it never gets old. The level design is just so cool! Plus, hey, they're short and at least the ones you have to go through a lot, like Thru the Mirror, are not that hard. Whew. Oh What a Knight was the hardest one so far! Wow. Especially trying to get that film reel...

I just got to Tomorrow City, but I haven't opened the door yet. So I have not seen the tron suit guys...

I have gotten the Oswald cartoon and I just watched it today. Very neat. I'm looking forward to unlocking the other toon.

I think my favorite level so far is MickeyJunk Mountain. That was awesome. I'm not sure which 2D level is my favorite. I like them all so far. Yes, even Oh what a knight. lol.

Anyway, the game just gets better and better. I can't wait to see what happens next!

DF2506

SuperMarioFan96

If there's something I'm dissapointed in, it's that you can only unlock TWO real cartoons. I was expecting a few more than that.....

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

TheChosen

Yeah, its a bit disappointing, but at least lot of these cartoons are on Youtube.

And yeah, this game makes me want to watch all of them, just so I can get all the references and know the characters.

TheChosen

LEGEND_MARIOID

I s'pose its "epic" in the sense you can spend say 12-15 hours on the game and still not really experience everything in the game.

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

Kid_A

SuperMarioFan96 wrote:

If there's something I'm dissapointed in, it's that you can only unlock TWO real cartoons. I was expecting a few more than that.....

Yeah I was really bummed about that. It'd be neat if you could unlock every cartoon that's referenced in the 2D levels, but I suppose that would have been a lot to ask, especially knowing how stingy Disney is with royalties.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.