Forums

Topic: Epic Mickey Early Review(s)

Posts 101 to 120 of 212

LEGEND_MARIOID

Yeah, I'm used to using the camera that way from other games eg. like Mini Ninjas for example. You can also use "c". If you get into adjusting the camera too much, it works against you anyway.

Edited on by LEGEND_MARIOID

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

hulklol123456789

NintyFan wrote:

Ouch, some reviewer at Gamespot didn't wake up on the right side of the bed.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/disneyepicmickey/review...

These kinds of reviews only disenchant me about the review system more. Then again, most of the Gamespot folks don't treat this guy seriously anyway. I would rather read reviews from you two than "professional" reviewers.

I never hear Gamestop, they only make awful reviews.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

Kid_A

NintyFan wrote:

Ouch, some reviewer at Gamespot didn't wake up on the right side of the bed.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/disneyepicmickey/review...

These kinds of reviews only disenchant me about the review system more. Then again, most of the Gamespot folks don't treat this guy seriously anyway. I would rather read reviews from you two than "professional" reviewers.

Boy have you seen my silver shield? I am a professional reviewer, son!
Just kidding. Yeah I read that review and I honestly don't know what he was on about half the time. One of his biggest complaints was that the game didn't give the player "clear direction". One of my main complaints with the game is I think there's too much direction. You always know exactly what to do next in that game, and sometimes I wish they'd kind of let the player figure it out. The only times the game doesn't give clear direction is when it wants the player to make a personal decision about how to solve the challenge. But that's the whole point of the game! Play-style matters!

Also, he says "tedium and monotony ruins the game." Oh the irony of that sentence.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

SuperMarioFan96

Got this for Chanukah. But I'm having a problem. I'm not that far into the game yet. I'm standing in front of the ticket booth and it's not letting me move or do ANYTHING. It's been like that for more than 5 minutes. Am I missing something or is this a glitch?

EDIT: Never mind I just quit and now it's fine. I'll post some impressions later. :3

Edited on by SuperMarioFan96

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

SuperMarioFan96

Well, I've now put about 2 hours into the game, and I am loving it so far! The camera is meh but it's not THAT bad... and I didn't even grow up in the N64 era! I'm interested to see how my decisions affect things.

That Clock Towers 2D stage was absolutely brilliant. The level design in this game makes up for the merely decent control/camera/etc. IMO.

Also, my Mom picked this up at Toys R Us yesterday and said that while she was there EVERYONE was picking up this game, which bodes well for its chances of selling well.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

hulklol123456789

I really want to get it, it looks and sound like the type of game I will just LOVE!!!! Sadly im a little bit short in money (and time), so I will probably pick it next year

Ristar42

I'm really enjoying Epic Mickey, with this and Sonic Colours I'm also reminded how much I liked to play Castle of Illusion and Sonic on the Megadrive.

There is a definite retro sensibility about both the gameplay and the wealth of references to past Disney movies and cartoons. I think its a great game.

Edited on by Ristar42

Ristar42

LEGEND_MARIOID

Gamespot gave it a 6 only. Harsh! They can be strict though. Personally I find Gamespot an OK review site MOST of the time. Not sure about this revw though. Their Super Scribblenauts DS revw was poor too.

Edited on by LEGEND_MARIOID

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

she_gamer

Gamespot is where I usually go for reviews. They haven't completely swayed me away from the game, but I will borrow it first before buying. I think it's cause gamespot seemed to give the game the most hype, and it didn't live up to their expectations.

she_gamer

Nintendo Network ID: she_gamer

TheChosen

Alright. Got it today and already played it for several hours.

Im having a mixed feelings on this, but its still bit towards positive. There's bit of problems with the gameplay, like with camera and the quests I've had so far are pretty much just fetching things. There hasnt been any huge "Good or evil" decision yet, but I've heard they'll come eventually. So far I've been doing mostly good stuff, but sometimes I just splatter around tinner for the heck of it.

However, its been using its Disney license well. The story opens slowly and its starting to get interesting with all these characters (Wow! Its the Mad Doctor!). I like the animation style they use in cutscenes. The game also makes me want to look up who these guys are.

Edited on by TheChosen

TheChosen

Kid_A

Yeah the fetch questing is still my only complaint about this game. It really throws off the pace. The level design, however, just keeps getting better! I just beat Tomorrow City, which is seriously cool, and the boss fight found there is one of the best I've played all year. Just got to Ventureland. I was excited to see all the forgotten Pirates from Peter Pan (I sure hadn't forgotten them. Smee is still one of my favorite Disney characters!) but unfortunately it looks like I'll have to do some fetch questing.

So far: 8.5/10. A great game that suffers from a few pacing issues.

CanisWolfred

Epic Mickey definitely seems like a game I should pick up cheap. The gameplay isn't as good as I'd hoped, but the style and story are superb, judging from the videos I watched.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kid_A

Mickeymac wrote:

Epic Mickey definitely seems like a game I should pick up cheap. The gameplay isn't as good as I'd hoped, but the style and story are superb, judging from the videos I watched.

How do you know the gameplay isn't as good as you'd hoped if you haven't played it? It's definitely surpassed my expectations in the gameplay department.

CanisWolfred

Kid_A wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

How do you know the gameplay isn't as good as you'd hoped if you haven't played it? It's definitely surpassed my expectations in the gameplay department.

The gameplay doesn't work the way I expected it to, that's all. It wasn't what I was hoping, and instead it's the kind of game I know I rarely enjoy. Simple as that. I didn't really follow the game since I wanted the reviews to help me decide before I wrote it off or got too excited, so I wasn't really aware of the actual content of the game beforehand.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Z_Bone

When are we gonna get an actual NL review on this game? I was gonna pick it up using Toys R Us' "buy one get one half off" deal, but the guy said he just sold out of it 2 hours earlier. So with my Donkey Kong I got COD Black Ops instead. I hope I don't end up regretting that decision since I already have Goldeneye. :S

Do the Mario!

hulklol123456789

Z.Bone wrote:

When are we gonna get an actual NL review on this game? I was gonna pick it up using Toys R Us' "buy one get one half off" deal, but the guy said he just sold out of it 2 hours earlier. So with my Donkey Kong I got COD Black Ops instead. I hope I don't end up regretting that decision since I already have Goldeneye. :S

It looks like DEM is selling well then

Kid_A

Hey you know how every review has complained about the lack of a lock-on system? There totally is one!
HOLD C TO LOCK ON TO AN ENEMY!
I demand a re-review!

Z_Bone

Kid_A wrote:

Hey you know how every review has complained about the lack of a lock-on system? There totally is one!
I demand a re-review!

Wow, I don't know what's worse: the fact that the reviewers have been complaining about the lack of something that was actually in the game or the fact that it's never explained in the game and people never realize it. Who's at fault? The player or the developer?

Do the Mario!

hulklol123456789

Z.Bone wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

I demand a re-review!

Wow, I don't know what's worse: the fact that the reviewers have been complaining about the lack of something that was actually in the game or the fact that it's never explained in the game and people never realize it. Who's at fault? The player or the developer?

I mean, it is probably explained in the instructions paper, but almost all players (and reviewers) make the big mistake and do not read it.

hulklol123456789

NintyFan wrote:

Kid_A wrote:

I demand a re-review!

That's funny. It seems like it's obvious, but I bet most people hardly use the C button. Like hulk said, it probably is because of players not reading the instruction manuel. They're usually not worth reading unlike the one for DKCR.

I don't know why people say they are noth worth reading, I always read them, and found them very usefull, yes, all of them!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.