Forums

Topic: Edge magazine gives The Conduit a review score of only 4/10!!

Posts 21 to 38 of 38

The_Fox

Some gamers sure do pout when games they like don't get a good enough review.
It's nothing new but sure is annoying.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

rustythekid

they're like the pitchfork of gaming.

AlexSays I toldo you so comment in...

rustythekid

Dizzy_Boy

edge magazine have always been known for being tough on their scoring of games, so it doesn`t suprise me at all with the score for the condult,
also, i heard that guys making the game were supposed to be using some sort of graphics engine they developed to push the wii`s capabilities. obviously it didn`t work out too well for them then.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

rustythekid

The game looks great and it's one of the best wii graphics I've seen. Not the ebst, but the game look gorgeous in its own right.

rustythekid

TheBaconator

Personally I don't think it is anything special however it doesn't deserve that bad of a review.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

Kid_A

rustythekid wrote:

they're like the pitchfork of gaming.

Except I actually love Pitchfork

Edited on by Kid_A

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Kirigirisu

Hrmm interesting, Edge are respectable reviewers in my opinion but that doesn't always mean you have to agree with their review, I've liked plenty of games that were considered poor by reviewers!

★☆★

Sean_Aaron

I have no opinion about Edge since I don't read magazines, however it doesn't seem like a nice score. Of course I own games that have gotten worse, so no, this has zero impact on my purchase. Even if NL gave the game a 1/10 I wouldn't care, I'm still putting down money for it!

Great news about the enemies being different -- not that this would stop me from enjoying a replay, but that does make it extra special!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Rum_Rapture

Kid_A wrote:

This was clearly an unfair review. There's no way you could play this game, look at all the work that went into, and give it a 4/10.

What? Why? How much work goes into a game and how good it actually is are two unrelated things.

I'm not surprised it got a poor score, but I'm surprised it got a poorer one than the infamously pap Haze (5/10).

Edit: Also, Giant Bomb gave it 2/5 stars, where's their backlash thread?

Edited on by Rum_Rapture

Rum_Rapture

Nero

Yeah, review scores means nothing to me if I'll buy a game or not. I've seen plenty of footage of different stuff in the game and read that some people like it and that's enough for me. People who looks at a review score from one magazine/website and decides to buy or not buy it are stupid.

So, no I don't care what they say.

Nero

flatspikes

I just wonder if perhaps edge reviewed this in the context of other first person shooters on other systems... which I guess is fine and might help explain the score as the conduit may pale in comparison to KZ2, Resistance 2 and Halo games, maybe!?

From a Wii only perspective I wonder if it would score so badly... if it's possible to take such a view?

Gaming with: 3DS / iOS / Steam / Onlive

Kidpit

flatspikes wrote:

From a Wii only perspective I wonder if it would score so badly... if it's possible to take such a view?

Well The only Wii FPS game you could compare it to is "Medal of Honor Heroes 2", Since some call it the greatest FPS on Wii for a time, at least I think they did (IGN did list the game as one of the Top 25 Wii Games). In comparison; MOHH2 allows 32 people to go online instead of The Conduit's 12, MOHH2 does not use Friend Codes and uses a much less tedious EA Nation account, a light-gun stlye Arcade mode which adds to the replayabilty of MOHH2, and I believe MOHH2's Campaign mode is longer then Conduit's (Not 100% sure, but I haven't heard anybody complaining about Heroes 2's Campaign). So once you factor all of that in, The Conduit would probably get a lower score, not nessicary 4/10 low but something in the 7-7.5 range.

Kidpit

flatspikes

Hmmm, sounds like it might just be the case that there are superior games to the Conduit on all fronts then... Ah well...

Gaming with: 3DS / iOS / Steam / Onlive

Vendetta

Blasphemy! lol
But it makes me wonder about other FPS's on Wii. The Wii is my only console. I've played me some PS3 and Xbox at friends and family's places, but just can't get into their stick-driven FPS. So, The Conduit really turned me on to the genre in a big way. And when I'm done with it, which won't be soon given how much I'm enjoying it, I'll look to get another. So MOH:H2 seems like a great choice. Are there any others recommended for the Wii as "must haves" by the FPS veterans out there?

Vendetta

Philip_J_Reed

Conduit got a C+ from The AV Club.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-conduit,29932/

Not such a hot grade, but the review itself doesn't list any major flaws with the game. In fact, if you just read the final paragraph, it sounds like their only complaint is that it's a Wii exclusive. (Huh? Let's knock a few points of Mario Galaxy for the same reason...)

Basically they wanted to see more exploration and something (anything) to spice up the FPS genre. Personally, I don't care about exploration; I didn't expect or want a Metroid game. And while I agree that The Conduit does nothing to advance the FPS world as a whole, it's still a solid and fun experience (which the review admits openly) with some awesome multiplayer modes taboot.

Personally, I'm glad I pre-ordered it. Because if the game came out AFTER I read these reviews, I probably would have passed, not realizing that I was missing out on some of the best fun to be had online with a Wii. (Couple this with Mario Kart and you've got the only two online games you'll need for the forseeable future.)

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Knux

I think Edge just compared The Conduit to Xbox 360 FPS games. The Conduit is the best FPS game on the Wii,Edge are just being @**%$!#,and they hate the Wii. But,if you think this bad,I saw a horrible game recieve a good review.
What is the game you ask? You will find out in my new topic soon...

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.