Forums

Topic: Edge magazine gives The Conduit a review score of only 4/10!!

Posts 1 to 20 of 38

Will

Just like the title says, I always knew Edge magazine were harsh critics, but even a 4/10 is very tough for such an anticipated game. I didnt buy the magazine, just read it on the shelf, so I cant quote any passages for you. But the overall impression the review gives is that The Conduit is a really dull game!! Running anround boxy grey rooms and corridors shooting bland generic enemies, although they do praise the controls. What do you think? Will this review affect your purchase?

Will

Tails

They Must Have Been Drunk Doing that review The Conduits EPIC EDGE FAILS

Check out Wii-kly Review's on http://www.videogameheat.com PSN ID: TailsPrower86 3DS FC: 3695 0027 1349 Tails XBL GamerTag: BioReaver86

Vendetta

I just spent a couple of hours playing the offline missions and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. It's a really good game, in my opinion. One thing I noticed is that when you replay a mission, certain elements are not the same as the last playthrough, which enhances the replay 'cause you can't play blindfolded the _n_th time through. The end of mission 3 is more difficult than anything I've come across in Mission 4, at least so far.
Also, I'm using a Zapper and I gotta say, the immersion factor is off the charts compared to the separate Wii-mote and 'chuk configuration - never mind what you'd get with "legacy" controllers. (COFFxboxCOFFF-COFFFpsCOFFCOFF!) I'll bet the reviewers didn't do that, though.

Vendetta

Will

Well, personally I think Edge magazine are a bunch of B*****ds anyways. I just thought 4/10 was a really miserable score. Final judgement will be reserved for the review that counts, i.e. the Nintendo life one, lol!

Will

Hawker

I wish I had waited for some reviews before I bought this game myself. I've already accomplished all the single player achievments & I already hate the multiplayer so much that I don't want to get the last half of the ranks I need to max that. There are 24 ranks for those that don't know, I'm rank 12, I probably would be closer to rank 20 if I actually enjoyed the multiplayer. I'm not expecting anything higher then a 6/10 from this site.

Flandre Scarlet, she's cute, she's colorful, she can blow up entire cities, she's also a vampire. Start running sparklepants.

EsnelPla

Will, don't go negating someone's journalistic integrity just because you don't agree with their outlook, especially considering you haven't even READ THE REVIEW.

Edge's staff is big on innovation. Though I am a fan of the game, I can understand why they would go that low. They also were also harsher than anyone on Killzone 2 ("7/10, waaaah"), which to me, is pretty awesome.

EsnelPla

Nintendo Network ID: EsnelPla | Twitter:

potomas

the edge review was spot on for this and killzone 2

3ds friend code/4339-2499-8318

Will

Esnel+Pla wrote:

Will, don't go negating someone's journalistic integrity just because you don't agree with their outlook, especially considering you haven't even READ THE REVIEW.

Edge's staff is big on innovation. Though I am a fan of the game, I can understand why they would go that low. They also were also harsher than anyone on Killzone 2 ("7/10, waaaah"), which to me, is pretty awesome.

Hold on there, I did read all of the review, I just didnt buy the magazine. I never said I agreed or disagreed with the review either, I just said what I read. 4/10 is a miserable score for ANY game, its just surprising because this was so anticipated. Nobodys journalistic integrity has been knocked. I just dont like Edge, half the magazine is ads for jobs.

Will

valleyoftheunos

4/10 is pretty tough but the single player does look really dull.

valleyoftheunos

KrazyKain

__Will wrote:

Esnel+Pla wrote:

Hold on there, I did read all of the review, I just didnt buy the magazine. I never said I agreed or disagreed with the review either, I just said what I read. 4/10 is a miserable score for ANY game, its just surprising because this was so anticipated. Nobodys journalistic integrity has been knocked. I just dont like Edge, half the magazine is ads for jobs.

unless your referring to gamepro.. you can negate their journalistic integrity all you want... any idiot who compares The conduit's graphics to an N64 title plus complains about the controls is an idiot

0044-3683-8188 3ds

KDR_11k

Dunno, people liked it and people tend to be more reliable than critics who sometimes seem to demand a higher standard than "fun" (see also the review average of Earth Defense Force...).

Raincoat whore!

Philip_J_Reed

Vendetta wrote:

One thing I noticed is that when you replay a mission, certain elements are not the same as the last playthrough, which enhances the replay 'cause you can't play blindfolded the _n_th time through. The end of mission 3 is more difficult than anything I've come across in Mission 4, at least so far.

I didn't know about the replayed missions getting scrambled up...that's pretty cool. Does that mean the hidden messages/discs move around too?

Also, was the end of mission 3 the siege of the Jefferson Memorial? I died during that section something like 12 times, without exaggeration, and eventually had to resort to turning the difficulty down (which you can do on the fly, much to my delight). Nothing else in the game (I'm on mission 7 now I think) was anywhere near that hard!

Regarding the original topic...a 4 sounds like a pretty unfair grade. I'm very much enjoying it, and I don't see any real, tangible reason that an FPS fan with a Wii wouldn't be proud of the purchase. Also, the online multiplayer is excellent. I had some trouble with it freezing up, but the past few times have been a breeze.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Will

@Chicken Brutus, I dont think the review even mentioned anything about the online multiplayer freezing up. So that didnt even come into the 4/10 equation, I guess that will tell you how much time the reviewer spent with the game.

Will

Machu

Ouch!

Can't wait to play the game so I can properly assess all these widely varying scores. I'm fairly certain I'll be giving it more than a 4 though, tsk.

Rawr!

Rensch

I've always wondered if the guys at EDGE actually ever enjoyed playing a game.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Pawtrick

I actually agree with Edge on this one.

Pawtrick

Vendetta

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

I didn't know about the replayed missions getting scrambled up...that's pretty cool. Does that mean the hidden messages/discs move around too?
Also, was the end of mission 3 the siege of the Jefferson Memorial? I died during that section something like 12 times, without exaggeration, and eventually had to resort to turning the difficulty down (which you can do on the fly, much to my delight). Nothing else in the game (I'm on mission 7 now I think) was anywhere near that hard!
Also, the online multiplayer is excellent. I had some trouble with it freezing up, but the past few times have been a breeze.

I'm not sure about the discs and messages, but the enemies absolutely. And some of the environment, too - like corpses and such.
Yes, it was the Jefferson Memorial. C'mon Chicken, brutus-force your way through it on "normal" difficulty! It took me probably 2 hours across a few sessions to get past that part, but I never adjusted the difficulty. Those GD "suicide dogs" always seemed to come out right when I need a reload.
I had a freeze yesterday when in one of the long hallways at the Library of Congress. The game just seized up, frozen but clear video with a monotone coming from the speakers 'til I hardware powered off the console. Thankfully I'd recently passed a checkpoint!

Edited on by Vendetta

Vendetta

Kid_A

This was clearly an unfair review. There's no way you could play this game, look at all the work that went into, and give it a 4/10. This was a review where the reviewer just simply didn't want to like the game, so they gave it a bad review. They never gave the game a fair chance. I've played some demos of it, and will be getting it for sure after I get Wii Sports Resort.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

madgear

It's just one oppinion really - if most people on here love the game then it can't be all that bad.

I am a bit sceptical of the game from what I have seen of it, though - I'm finding it very hard to get excited about it. The graphics, once again, seem a step back from the likes of Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime etc that we got years ago on the GameCube. I'm not saying the game looks bad, but if some developers just had a go at trying to push the Wii to its limits, we'd have some great looking games. Whilst the Conduit is certainly not a bad looking game, the Wii can do much better - the GameCube did for a start.

madgear

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.