Forums

Topic: E3 2009:The Official Topic

Posts 81 to 100 of 188

geek-master

ok guys i need help i only have rabbit ears and no cable for my tv and my computer needs a new graphics card but there is a bright side i get ABC on my rabbit ears so will i get to see nintendo's E3 or will i just have to find it on youtube after i get my comuter fixed?

oh and when will E3 for nintendo be on the air or a channle?

This is ground control to major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

Adam

@Terra
I missed the part about downloading full retail games. Did they give examples of games or prices or a time frame for when this would start?

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Stuffgamer1

weirdadam wrote:

The market that Wii appeals to is not going to be willing to buy an already expensive system plus an expensive peripheral for novelty games. I see no reason to worry for Nintendo.

Right...tell that to everybody who bought a Wii primarily for Wii Fit. There are those who haven't bought anything else on the system, y'know.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Adam

I do know. I have an elderly aunt and uncle who fit that description. But to them it is an exercise machine, so it isn't really expensive at all. No one is going to pay that much just for a virtual friend or any of the ridiculous games shown today.

Come on, friends,

hobbes

I don't think NATAL will take many customers away from the Wii... Lets face it... It just costs far too much for casual use. The predicted $200 price tag for the NATAL is almost as much as a Wii, and then you figure its another $300 or $400 for the Xbox. So people who are looking at a system for some party games and the inevitable fitness software are better off jut buying a Wii and Wii Fit for $350.

http://www.backloggery.com/hobbes543

Knux

Monkey Island+WiiWare=instant buy!
Oh,and Metal Gear Solid Rising is announced for the Xbox 360.
When is Square-Enix going to have their E3 show? I MUST find out Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days's NA release date!

Edited on by Knux

Knux

ASDFGHJKL

Umm, wow, if you have a skateboard try riding it instead of scanning it and using a fake version of it, and then simulating riding it. Sorry but it may be good as a fun toy but fun toys shoudnt cost 200 dollars if there wont be many good games coming out for them. That is what I expect for NATAL. Plus, the wii remote/ WM+ adds motion controls to a controller, it doesnt replace it. There is so much you cant do without a controller. Im sure NATAL would be good. But it isnt the future of gaming. Its too expensive and MS shoudnt expect great sales. Maybe if it was released WITH the Xbox, it would be better.

ASDFGHJKL

irken004

SuperSonic1990 wrote:

Monkey Island+WiiWare=instant buy!
Oh,and Metal Gear Solid Rising is announced for the Xbox 360.
When is Square-Enix going to have their E3 show? I MUST find out Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days's NA release date!

they'll probably save that for 2mmorrow's Nintendo E3 conference

i'm EXTREMELY eager for that game as well

SupermarketZombies

Did anyone see the Microsoft Conference where the speak bragged about the success of Uno????

Bwahahhahahahaha oh it hurts, it hurts.

EDIT: Oh do I feel kind of stupid...I was accidentally watching the 2008 conference instead of this years on youtube. bah

Edited on by SupermarketZombies

Scared of the future, but bored with the past.

Adam

I am hoping against hope that MGS Rising is for PS3, too. I know the end of the trailer just listed 360, but they probably have a rule against showing competitors' logos during their show.

Shadow Complex was the show stealer for me. It is supposed to be inspired by Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. Can't go wrong there.

Come on, friends,

irken004

SupermarketZombies wrote:

Did anyone see the Microsoft Conference where the speak bragged about the success of Uno????

Bwahahhahahahaha oh it hurts, it hurts.

and how about the EA conference? the first games they displayed were....LITTLEST PET SHOP!!!! everyone in the forum i was on were in pain by watching it LOL

SpentAllMyTokens

hobbes wrote:

I don't think NATAL will take many customers away from the Wii... Lets face it... It just costs far too much for casual use. The predicted $200 price tag for the NATAL is almost as much as a Wii, and then you figure its another $300 or $400 for the Xbox. So people who are looking at a system for some party games and the inevitable fitness software are better off jut buying a Wii and Wii Fit for $350.

I really think this is a serious threat to Wii. For one, it's really not that expensive if you compare side by side.
Xbox 360 Arcade (cheapest version) - $200 at Gamestop
Natal controller - $200
1 Game - $50
Total - $450

Wii w/ Wii Sports - $250
Extra Wiimote - $40
Extra Nunchuck - $20
Motion Plus (2) - $50
Total for 2 players - $360
Total for 4 players - $580

That's not much in the way of savings, and if you can play Natal with 4 people, it's actually going to be cheaper. Now you can save on one or two motion pluses with bundling, and in theory at some point all new remotes will probably include this (but at what price)?

The big issue is going to be how well these games can be developed and if the games can be as good or as popular as Wii. For Wii, third party developers have had lots of trouble making motion controls that are accurate and have more to them than just the occasional waggle. However, probably by the time this is released, motion plus will be perfected, and will be able to do almost as much as Natal and do it nearly flawlessly. However, this is a lot more streamlined too - you don't need a balance board for skateboarding/snowboarding and a Wiimote and Nunchuck lying around for everything else. No mess!

On the other hand there are a couple advantages to the peripherals - driving without a wheel seemed awkward, and when "dad" had to do pit crew, he seemed very stilted with the controls trying to make sure it responded accurately. Motion plus seems much more responsive and for lots of games. For shooting too, it's nice to hold something that feels sort of like a gun (a Wiimote is fine for my purposes with a well placed b button) Platformer/action type titles will probably always be better with a control stick. For fighting though? Natal looks awesome.

Here's my Wii vs. Microsoft thoughts.
Wii Pros
1) Technology already out on the market - will be perfected and honed as Natal is just getting released.
2) Market already saturated, people with Wii are more likely to spend $25 on motion plus than buy a whole new console.
3) Price seems less, because many small peripherals, not one big one. You can pay gradually. It is actually cheaper for 2 players (If you have 4 people, often someone else will have a Wii and can bring their controllers over. I don't really need to own more than 2, and probably only the "whole family playing together" needs 4, and I'm guessing that stereotype doesn't exist in the real world very often).
4) Established successful game franchises that are well known in the casual market and many appeal to most anyone.
5) For finer movements the Wiimote IR sensor looks a lot better. All the games (even painting) used pretty large motions. I don't really see a game like Trauma Center working very well. Menu scrolling is probably also faster/more intuitive with a controller. Natal Xbox menus works like a virtual touchscreen, but I don't think it's responsive enough for it to really be a convenience.
6) No creepy Milo kid that seems like straight out of some sort of scary science fiction. I prefer playing virtual sports with real friends!

Microsoft pros
1) Cheaper for 4 players.
2) No controllers/controller parts laying around.
3) Novelty factor - c'mon how awesome was it to play Wii Sports for the first time? You know you want to play that breakout game!
4) Can't sit on the couch and cheat (Can't really decide if that's a pro or a con. Wii you can stand up, but I don't see anything wrong with having the lazy alternative available).
5) Voice recognition/facial recognition for neat features streamline the menu a bit.
6) Sweet HD graphics.

I didn't include online, because probably most casual types won't take advantage of most of Xbox's services though streaming HD movies on demand will be sweet if you have the connection (many in the casual market still don't though, and paying for it will probably keep many of them from subscribing). For me I can just hook up my laptop to my TV and rock out some Netflix. Also, I'll always be going with Wii for Mario/Zelda/VC, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think this was the future of gaming. It will be interesting to see how Nintendo responds. They would pretty much need to have Wii HD to be up to par with this (and be able to keep the release price similar to the Wii's).

JMHO though.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Nintendork

Does anyone actually have room to use the Natal when it comes out? If I did get this (which I never will) I wouldn't have room for it.

That's why you're still a kid.
ADD ME ON PSN: xnintendorkx
Youtube account: xNintendorkx

hobbes

Of course, in the same time, Microsoft is releasing alot of online features for the 360 to make it more like an all in one home entertainment system. Many of these features, streaming and downloading movies and music will appeal to the same 'casual' audience that NATAL will, but to use them, I don't think the 256mb of storage space on the Arcade version is going to cut it, so they will either have to buy a HDD separately or one of the more expensive versions of the console that have the HDD included. If that is the case, the price of a NATAL setup comes much closer to that of your proposed multi-player Wii setup.

Kizzi

How much will this Natal thing cost? I'm guessing around 150$

3DS: 4081-5713-4255
wii: 0919 8248 3945 8359
Brawl: 3866 8155 2677
MK: 4167 4898 3288
excite bots: 1848 9258 6300

hobbes

Current predictions are around $200. But the actual price is anyones guess until Microsoft announces a release and MSRP. But that figure seems plausible considering how much other perhipials for Xbox cost. I believe the Wi-Fi adaptor for it costs close to $100 as an example. You can get a USB Wi-Fi adapter for a PC for as little as $10.

motang

I am really excited about the E3 for Nintendo this year around. Since there is going to stuff on CC: The Crystal Bearers from Squar Enix, Red Steel 2, of course HVS' two new announced games.

I am hoping for a new Mario game, and a VC for the DSi. Also some first part stuff...and Retro Studio is suppose to be announcing a game! Can't think of anything else at the moment, but will update my post when I do.

NIN10DO

Twitter:

Kizzi

If it came bundled with the Xbox, that would raise the price significantly!

3DS: 4081-5713-4255
wii: 0919 8248 3945 8359
Brawl: 3866 8155 2677
MK: 4167 4898 3288
excite bots: 1848 9258 6300

hobbes

Red Steel was demoed during Ubisofts press conference today. Looks like the Wii Motion Plus translates well, though I would have to say the game better not make you play for too long between save points, since the strength of your attacks is based on the speed of your swings. I would imagine that if your out of shape, you could get tired pretty quickly playing the game.

SpentAllMyTokens

@Nintendork - Yeah with all the kicking it would take up a lot of space, but probably not that much more than an intensive game of tennis. I wonder how far back you have to stay from it for it to register properly...it looked like everyone was pretty far away from the TV.

@ hobbes
That's true, the online features are really cool, but if you do the streaming option you don't need a lot of hard drive to store movies. If you're internet's not up to par though you would need to download everything (in which case it probably makes more sense to use a regular Netflix subscription). I don't know how much those features on Live cost though, which would be a real impact. Also, for all the social networking stuff...i'd just use my laptop next to me while I play games for that. Switching one device from game or movie to internet back and forth would be annoying. Some people probably prefer to do one thing at a time though.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.