Forums

Topic: E3 2009:The Official Topic

Posts 61 to 80 of 188

Teppo_Holmqvist

Doh, my mistake. Still, it will be interesting how they will price this. Probably over 100 bucks knowing how Microsoft prices its peripheals.

Teppo_Holmqvist

Adam

Yea, and while Milo is an amazing piece of tech, I think most will need some better game software before they're willing to plop down over $100 for a virtual pet friend. Lots of possibilities for this if it works as well as claimed. I can't wait to hear what the media has to say about it later.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

zane

I saw Xbox Natal and im scared

@adam No way Nintendo will top this.

Edited on by zane

Old Nintendofan from up north...

Philip_J_Reed

MICROSOFT: "Ha ha ha, isn't waggling dumb? Tee hee hee, that stupid Wii! All you do is stand around and wave your arms like an idiot! Anyway, here's our new thing, which is basically the same thing without the controller..."

@Zane: yeah, those games they demonstrated with NATAL sure looked fun, didn't they?

Edited on by Philip_J_Reed

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Adam

@Chicken
Yea, I can't wait to play their upcoming hit Natal games:

• Wave Your Arms Like an Idiot and Hope to Hit a Few Balls!
  • Put Your Head on Your Friend's Butt and Maybe You'll Look Like an Elephant! (Also featuring Splash Paint on the Wall!)
  • Virtual Friend (Perfect for all those lonely Xboxers without real friends)
    and my favorite:
  • Skate Boarding!: The Game That Renders the First Segment of Our E3 Presentation About the Motion Control Skateboard Peripheral Entirely Obsolete

Come on, friends,

Teppo_Holmqvist

zane wrote:

@adam No way Nintendo will top this.

If I cared for shooters, I would have been pretty happy with their conference. Hell from 14 announced games, 9 were shooters of some kind. But I must confess I'm pretty excited for Forza 3.

Teppo_Holmqvist

Adam

I don't really get what's supposedly special about Forza. It looks like any other realistic racer. Aside from Facebook/Twitter/etc, that was the most boring part for me. Alan Wake looks maybe interesting. The best looking games to me were Modern Warfare 2, Splinter Cell (never played the original, but the story-on-the-wall thing is neat and I like sneaking in MGS), and that XBLA side-scrolling game. Already forgot the name.

MGS Rising is of course exciting, but I expect it'll be on PS3, too. Hopefully we'll get more details tomorrow or Wednesday at Konami's event.

The teaser for the new Halo thing was also silly. Look, it's a planet with people talking nonsense in the background! Oh, and it's called Halo! Must buy.

Better than last year's E3 though, for sure. If Natal ends up being all they say, next year will be pretty exciting. I think they jumped the gun by showing it now, but I guess you can't keep something like that secret for too long!

Come on, friends,

zane

@chickenbrutal yeah and red steel 1 was a hoot. However you might remember a thing called wiisports maybe shitbox will have something akin?

zane

tealovertoma wrote:

"Didn't like that 'waggle' reference they put in the b@st@rdo's."

I agree. It has some truth in it, but c'mon Microsoft, you wouldn't be announcing this "no controller" technology if it wasn't for the Wii.

Very good press conference. I wonder if Sony's already canceling their motion controller speech of tomorrow (apparently theirs was gonna be worst)

The reporters and nerds booed at that comment btw!

Adam

@Zane, comment 81
I think they'd have shown it, if so. What they did have on show was pathetic aside from the virtual friend, which was impressive from a technical standpoint -- very impressive, don't get me wrong -- but ultimately not something most people would want to play with that much or buy an expensive device just to have.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

zane

@zane comment 81 ? whatcha point?

Philip_J_Reed

zane wrote:

@chickenbrutal yeah and red steel 1 was a hoot. However you might remember a thing called wiisports maybe shitbox will have something akin?

I do remember Wii Sports, but I also remember being SHOWN Wii Sports and not having to just assume that maybe we'd get something like it. Yes, they might have something akin. But 1) why would we assume that they do? and 2) why wouldn't they have shown it?

The input device does not make the game. This is a fact.

You can have the most interesting, technologically advanced input device in the history of gaming, and it doesn't matter (and won't matter) without good games to back it up. The fun of a video game comes from the game itself, not from the joystick, or the D-pad, or the rumble, or the waggle, or anything else. Otherwise, wouldn't we just be sitting around with controllers in our hands and save money by not buying the games?

Don't get your hopes up about NATAL until they actually show us what it can do. As it stands, they might as well have just shown us a pamphlet. Big whoop.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

zane

The thing is, that worries me mainly... Is that wii's success is dependant on it's so to speak casual byers. When Mircosoft goes hunting after the same byers Ninty could end up having trouble. Yeah microsoft showed some shitty games and wii has LOADS of them. And they sell well. However the so called hardcore titles or raet m titles don't sell on wii because my guess is that hardcore otaku are homebrewing and chipping and stealing all the games.

@zane your most dependant source of mumbo jumbo My fingers don't spell what my brain thinks. duh...

Adam

The market that Wii appeals to is not going to be willing to buy an already expensive system plus an expensive peripheral for novelty games. I see no reason to worry for Nintendo.

Come on, friends,

Philip_J_Reed

And also the fact is that "Wii" now has brand recognition for casual gamers. You'll hear mothers and grandmoms and your boss and all these non-gamers talk about the Wii. When they go to a store to buy a game, they don't browse, because they don't know what they're looking at. They know they want the Wii, and they know they want some dumbass shuffleboard game or something to go with it. They only thing they know about other systems is that they don't appeal to them.

I can promise you that no matter what Microsoft has up their sleeves, Granny isn't going to be walking into Gamestop to buy an Xbox 360 for herself. That is a promise.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Adam

Also, personally, I don't care if Nintendo loses that audience. Maybe it'd be good for them. I don't expect it to happen though.

Come on, friends,

Philip_J_Reed

It basically boils down to this: take a band like...oh, I don't know. Cannibal Corpse.

If you play Cannibal Corpse for your grandmother, she probably won't enjoy it. But she does enjoy...let's say...Barry Manilow.

So Cannibal Corpse decides, for some reason, that they want to appeal to old ladies, too. And they release Cannibal Corpse Sings Manilow's Greatest.

Not only are grandmas going to pass on it (why would they even be browsing the Cannibal Corpse section to begin with?), but Cannibal Corpse fans are either going to be indifferent to or upset about the pandering. It's a compromise that pleases nobody.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

zane

So grandmas is the main target for nintendo? Geez what haz i been up 2?

Edited on by zane

Philip_J_Reed

zane wrote:

So grandmas is the main target for nintendo? Geez what haz i been up 2?

No, but grandmas and other non-gamers are hugely responsible for Nintendo gaining so much ground this generation. (Surely you agree with that much.) Microsoft wants that money. And that's what they're doing. They want their console to be just as accessible as the Wii, after, what, three years or so of continuously bashing the Wii.

Yeah. Yeah, I can see this working out just great for everyone.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.