Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 721 to 740 of 749

irken004

I feel a banhammering coming on

Anywho, I'll try to pick this game up eventually. Not for awhile though

SkullMan

PunnyGuy wrote:

Timwario wrote:

Wow, after I was tired of seeing people on IGN hating on Retro's first attempt at DKC, I came here expecting to see praise for this game. Looks like I'm seeing the exact same thing here.

This is where you are wrong. I'm here to bring the love this masterpiece needs. DKCR is a fantastic game with something new around every corner. At times, all the interactivity with the environents makes the game seems cinematic. Don't listen to haters. Fanbases are hard to please.

Rightfully so. Passionate fans expect a lot and have high expectations of the games and series they love. When something doesn't met that passionate fans get passionate and frustrated. Not every die hard DKC fan is going to love retro's new attempt, and that doesn't automatically make them haters.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Punny

SkullMan wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Timwario wrote:

Wow, after I was tired of seeing people on IGN hating on Retro's first attempt at DKC, I came here expecting to see praise for this game. Looks like I'm seeing the exact same thing here.

This is where you are wrong. I'm here to bring the love this masterpiece needs. DKCR is a fantastic game with something new around every corner. At times, all the interactivity with the environents makes the game seems cinematic. Don't listen to haters. Fanbases are hard to please.

Rightfully so. Passionate fans expect a lot and have high expectations of the games and series they love. When something doesn't met that passionate fans get passionate and frustrated. Not every die hard DKC fan is going to love retro's new attempt, and that doesn't automatically make them haters.

Okay, then don't listen to die-hard DKC fans! SHEESH!

I'm back (for the moment)!

Timwario

Well @Skullman, I think this game is awesome because I had lots of fun with it, not just because it's a Nintendo game or because I'm "a blind Nintendo fanboy", which I'm not. I play my Xbox 360 and Wii equally and I'm aware Nintendo makes mistakes too. I know if Nintendo makes what I think is a bad game and I'm not afraid to admit it, but this game IMO isn't one of them. I know you're entiltled to your opinion, but why are you here if you don't like this game?

Timwario

Punny

NintyFan wrote:

Anyway, have any of you noticed that if Donkey Kong is left alone for a certain amount of time, he pulls out a DS and starts playing? At first, I saw it in the credits and thought it was a joke, but he really did it one time in the factory. And I read from the Nintendo Power interview that Cranky Kong falls asleep if you don't do anything after a long time.

I've noticed that, too. DK playing the DS reminds me of that gorilla that played the DSi XL at a zoo last year.

Joeynator3000

PunnyGuy wrote:

NintyFan wrote:

Anyway, have any of you noticed that if Donkey Kong is left alone for a certain amount of time, he pulls out a DS and starts playing? At first, I saw it in the credits and thought it was a joke, but he really did it one time in the factory. And I read from the Nintendo Power interview that Cranky Kong falls asleep if you don't do anything after a long time.

I've noticed that, too. DK playing the DS reminds me of that gorilla that played the DSi XL at a zoo last year.

.......I gotta try this now...lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SkullMan

Timwario wrote:

Well @Skullman, I think this game is awesome because I had lots of fun with it, not just because it's a Nintendo game or because I'm "a blind Nintendo fanboy", which I'm not. I play my Xbox 360 and Wii equally and I'm aware Nintendo makes mistakes too. I know if Nintendo makes what I think is a bad game and I'm not afraid to admit it, but this game IMO isn't one of them. I know you're entiltled to your opinion, but why are you here if you don't like this game?

Because I'm a huge DKC fan and I want to talk about how this game could be better, and could have. And series, and where it should go, and how it should happen, and what should and could be improved. But it's just like every other post is.."This games rocks!" "This game is awesome, so much better than the originals (which I never played) but it is!" "I just beat level 1, so fun!"

There's no back and forth, every time I see someone bring up a valid point they get smacked back down to get in line to either love the game or gtfo. Someone brings up how the motion controls were unneeded and badly implemented and some blind fan throws a fit. I'm not saying you need to be a blind nintendo fanboy to enjoy this game. But to claim it's better than the originals isn't true. You can like it more than the originals, but then that makes me think one never played them. But it seems most people think this game is without faults and is platforming genius, which it isn't. That was my point all along.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Aviator

Usually your the one smacking them down.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Punny

SkullMan wrote:

Timwario wrote:

Because I'm a huge DKC fan and I want to talk about how this game could be better, and could have. And series, and where it should go, and how it should happen, and what should and could be improved. But it's just like every other post is.."This games rocks!" "This game is awesome, so much better than the originals (which I never played) but it is!" "I just beat level 1, so fun!"

There's no back and forth, every time I see someone bring up a valid point they get smacked back down to get in line to either love the game or gtfo. Someone brings up how the motion controls were unneeded and badly implemented and some blind fan throws a fit. I'm not saying you need to be a blind nintendo fanboy to enjoy this game. But to claim it's better than the originals isn't true. You can like it more than the originals, but then that makes me think one never played them. But it seems most people think this game is without faults and is platforming genius, which it isn't. That was my point all along.

Whether you think the game is better than the originals or not is a matter of opinion, not a fact. END OF ARGUMENT.

bro2dragons

@Skullman: Some of my fondest memories as a child are playing through Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES with my dad. It was those games that got me gaming. And they're still some of my favorites to this day. They were fantastic. They still are fantastic. But as I see it, they aren't "clearly" better than DKCR. As much as my nostalgia hurts for saying it, a well-made game today is inherently better than an equally well-made game 20 years ago. There just is SO much more that can be done now. If something is of the same relative quality, then, it is overall better today. In economic terms, if the real dollars (relative to inflation) are the same between DKC and DKCR, then the nominal dollars (the actual number, not adjusted for inflation) for DKCR are much higher. It's worth more for your money. This seems like an obvious principle to me. Thus, it matters that it's better than the originals (because that means the developers put the same quality of work into it), but it shouldn't be the big deal that it is with EVERYONE clamoring about the second coming.

I'll also agree that the motion controls feel tacked-on, unnecessary, less-responsive than button presses, and a poor design choice. As is the "blowing" mechanic. It slows things down that just don't need to be.

Still, the game is very well made, and from what I've played, I'm already willing to say it succeeds its predecessors. I haven't played the later levels, so if things change and it takes a drop, I'll back you up that the originals were better. But if nothing else, I'm willing to say that it at least is as good as the SNES trilogy. And those are STILL masterpieces. So it's no small praise.

EDIT: I don't know if that first paragraph makes sense at all, but if not, just ignore it.

Edited on by bro2dragons

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Joeynator3000

....Sheesh, you people are still arguing?...lol, everyone knows no game is perfect, even this game.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

SkullMan

bro2dragons wrote:

@Skullman: ... As much as my nostalgia hurts for saying it, a well-made game today is inherently better than an equally well-made game 20 years ago. There just is SO much more that can be done now. If something is of the same relative quality, then, it is overall better today.

..But it shouldn't be the big deal that it is with EVERYONE clamoring about the second coming.

I'll also agree that the motion controls feel tacked-on, unnecessary, less-responsive than button presses, and a poor design choice. As is the "blowing" mechanic. It slows things down that just don't need to be.

Makes total sense. I don't think just because a game is made today makes it inherently better there are so many factors to take into account. And if there is so much more that can be done now why wasn't there more done on this title is what I want to know? Plus I don't think just because more can be done, that more automatically means better. Some of the best games of all time are rather simple, timeless master pieces. Super Mario Brothers, Tetris, Legend of Zelda. They have no bells and whistles yet are great games still to this day.

I don't think when a game is made determines it's worth and how much better of a game it is or isn't.

And I agree it shouldn't be a super big deal, with everyone claiming the second coming of great platforming! I don't think it ever went anywhere, there were awesome platformers these past 13 odd years we have been waiting for a new DKC game.

bro2dragons

No, I agree modernity doesn't mean a game is better. I guess what I'm trying to say is modernity means the game has the capacity to be better. To say it simply, every remake SHOULD be better than its original. If it's the same game, same great controls/story/whatever made the first so good, with updated (or even, re-stylized) graphics, some new concepts, greater length/replay value, higher framerate, better sound quality, etc. To make the same game now that was made 20 years ago, and it not surpass the previous one (even if, on its own it's still good), is a sad, sad thing. So if, for example, DKC earned a 100 in the 90's by 90's standards, and DKCR earned a 100 in 2010 by 2010 standards (disregarding any arguments about lowered standards in recent years), then DKCR should be the technically better game. You could absolutely still prefer the older ones, be it for nostalgia, or the graphics, or whatever, but by all rights, DKCR ought to be the "better" title. And from what I've seen, it seems to live up to this. All I'm saying.

And I think more has been done. Take a look at the minecart levels. Judging just by the difference between the famous "minecart-in-the-rolling-circular-track" level, and the best minecart levels of yesteryear, I'd say there are incredibly fun additions to the game that would not have been possible on SNES technology.

Edited on by bro2dragons

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

Philip_J_Reed

SkullMan wrote:

You need to chill out and stop overreacting. I've been warned for saying we need fresh ideas in games today? You have got to be kidding me.

Adios, Skull Man.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

CoffeeWithGames

My wife and I completed the main game last night(this morning at 5am!), and we had a blast...we are about to start right now going back for the KONG letters and puzzle pieces.

The level design and difficulty I think are extremely well done...
I can't wait to see what Retro does next for Nintendo!

My site, CoffeeWithGames.com!

Nintendo Network ID: Coffees | Twitter:

Kyloctopus

I can't find a flaw in this game. I beaten the game twice and on for my third time, and I'm not done yet. I've gotten all the KONGs and half of the Mirror Modes and Puzzels.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

SuperMarioFan96

SPOILERZZZZ
So I've unlocked the first 2 "K" levels that give you the orbs to the Golden Temple. It was awesome playing through levels I haven't played in a while to get the KONG letters. Like the Giant Octopus level, man that was amazing! I'm at 90% right now.

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Joeynator3000

Ok could people shut up arguing for a second and give me some tips on the Mole Train....in Mirror Mode? xD
EDIT: Figures...I passed it before anyone even answered, lol

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Keep it PG-13-ish.

kkslider5552000

I just realized they missed the obvious jokes for Cranky Kong. They should have had him complain and remember the good old days...of the original Donkey Kong Country. That would have been pretty hilarious.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.