Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 701 to 720 of 749

Philip_J_Reed

Honestly, folks, let's put this aspect of the discussion to rest. At least until we can come up with a better conversational pattern than...

"This aspect is unique."
"No it isn't."
"Okay, but it's good."
"No it isn't."

If we can't rise above that level of discourse, then let's not bother. 'kay?

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

KaiserGX

warioswoods wrote:

I love the 1-button barrel-rocket levels. Those are even more inventive than the original mine cart levels.

Also, this game actually surpasses NSMBWii for me for 2 players. I had a blast with an old pal of mine recently.

You haven't played NSMBW with me then... lol

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

SkullMan

PunnyGuy wrote:

I don't see what SkullMan's big deal is. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a flipping masterpiece. It puts the older DKC games to shame. DEAL WITH IT.

Nothing personal, 'kay?

I disagree. This new one is decent, if I rate it on a scale one to ten, I would say it falls around a 7 or so. It's DKC, but it's not at the same time. Dare I say this has been the most overrated game on the wii in ages. It's what Red Dead Redemption is the PS3 and 360, there's so much praise and hype...but not much to back it up.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

SuperMarioFan96

YEEEEESSS!!!!!!

It took me a while, but I finally defeated that last boss! Hooray! Well.... now to go unlock the Golden Temple!

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Punny

SkullMan wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

I don't see what SkullMan's big deal is. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a flipping masterpiece. It puts the older DKC games to shame. DEAL WITH IT.

Nothing personal, 'kay?

Dare I say this has been the most overrated game on the wii in ages. It's what Red Dead Redemption is the PS3 and 360, there's so much praise and hype...but not much to back it up.

Maybe in your eyes. To me, it's better than Super Mario Galaxy 2. Besides, it fixes the errors that the old DKC games had, such as finally getting rid of those lame-o Kremlings and unnecessary "side" Kongs (I never liked Kiddy).

I'm back (for the moment)!

Spoony_Tech

I don't want this topic closed so please no more talk about which one is better.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ayer99

Has that not come out for you guys yet? it is the best wii game ever!

Ayer99 at
http://www.ign.com/blogs/ayer99

SkullMan

PunnyGuy wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Nothing personal, 'kay?

Dare I say this has been the most overrated game on the wii in ages. It's what Red Dead Redemption is the PS3 and 360, there's so much praise and hype...but not much to back it up.

Maybe in your eyes. To me, it's better than Super Mario Galaxy 2. Besides, it fixes the errors that the old DKC games had, such as finally getting rid of those lame-o Kremlings and unnecessary "side" Kongs (I never liked Kiddy).

Dancing tikis are any less lame than super human reptiles? Doubt it. Kremlins made sense at least, Reptiles and Monkeys fighting...at least they are both animals. As sense as it could make. The Kong's really got out of hand post DKC2...DKC3 and 64 just ruined the franchise.

If they make sequel to DKCR which I'm sure they will because everyone loves it I hope they change the setting completely. We need a new island totally. With the return of snow and underwater levels, and more animal friend levels.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Spoony_Tech

Of course more variety in the levels would be nice but still never liked the under water levels. As for more animal buddies. I would like maybe a few but its not necessary. What I don't want to see are a return of all the kongs. Maybe one or two but I want diddy and donkey kong as the main characters. Leave dixie and kiddy on the side lines. If you have to include them allow them all to be playable or just limit them to certain levels only where you might need their help to get through a certain part.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SkullMan

Tech101 wrote:

Of course more variety in the levels would be nice but still never liked the under water levels. As for more animal buddies. I would like maybe a few but its not necessary. What I don't want to see are a return of all the kongs. Maybe one or two but I want diddy and donkey kong as the main characters. Leave dixie and kiddy on the side lines. If you have to include them allow them all to be playable or just limit them to certain levels only where you might need their help to get through a certain part.

A lot of the Kong's were used for the certain aspects don't apply any more. Kandy Kong saved your games, now it saves automatically. Funky Kong flew you around to different parts of the island, now you can navigate at your own will whenever you want.

DKC worlds: Kongo Jungle , Monkey Mines (caves) , Vine Valley (forest), Gorilla Glacier , Kremkroc Industries, Inc. (factory), Chimp Caverns.
DKCR worlds: Jungle, Beach, Ruins, Caves, Forest, Cliffs, Factory, Volcano.
DKC 2 world: Gangplank Galleon (very similar to beach/pirate ship levels), Crocodile Cauldron (volcano), Krem Quay (swamp), Krazy Kremland, Gloomy Gulch (enchanted woods), K. Rool's Keep, and the Lost World.

As you can see a lot of the main worlds are repeats. 4 out of the 7 are rehashes from the first game. Add another 2 from the second and we have played 6 out of the 7 worlds from DKCR before in some form. What the second game got right and did well was changing the location from the lush jungles of DK Island, to the dark swamp gloomy Crocodile Isle. I want the next game to be fresh and bold. Stand on it's own two feet rather than rely on what came before.

Spoony_Tech

@Skullman What I ment was to actually take control of the different kongs to navigate though certain parts of the levels that donkey or diddy can't get through. Thought it would ne fun to have to brake dixie out of a barrel to use her ponytail to fly to a different part of the map to retrieve a puzzle piece or something like that. The rest of the crew could be used in a similar style. You might even be able to use cranky to wheelchair his way through certain parts to help through a certain part of a level. Kinda like when you had to assume a different form in banjo kazooie.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

SkullMan

Tech101 wrote:

@Skullman What I ment was to actually take control of the different kongs to navigate though certain parts of the levels that donkey or diddy can't get through. Thought it would ne fun to have to brake dixie out of a barrel to use her ponytail to fly to a different part of the map to retrieve a puzzle piece or something like that. The rest of the crew could be used in a similar style. You might even be able to use cranky to wheelchair his way through certain parts to help through a certain part of a level. Kinda like when you had to assume a different form in banjo kazooie.

Interesting concept for sure. I think I prefer the two kongs though, wish you could swap out from Diddy to Donkey like in the old days.

Aviator

SkullMan wrote:

As you can see a lot of the main worlds are repeats.

Because no game EVER re-uses the same general ideas for worlds...

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Punny

SkullMan wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

Nothing personal, 'kay?

Dancing tikis are any less lame than super human reptiles? Doubt it. Kremlins made sense at least, Reptiles and Monkeys fighting...at least they are both animals. As sense as it could make. The Kong's really got out of hand post DKC2...DKC3 and 64 just ruined the franchise.

If they make sequel to DKCR which I'm sure they will because everyone loves it I hope they change the setting completely. We need a new island totally. With the return of snow and underwater levels, and more animal friend levels.

Okay, I must admit that seeing some ice and water levels and more animal buddies (especially Enguarde and Squitters) would be awesome if Retro made a sequel. Heck, I wouldn't even mind seeing Dixie (love that helicopter hair)! As for the Tikis, I like their originality. Plus, their hypnotizing song was very catchy. Let's just stop this silly nonsense before something stupid happens. I'm not a fighter.

SkullMan

Aviator wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

My point exactly, we need fresh ideas.

Timwario

Wow, after I was tired of seeing people on IGN hating on Retro's first attempt at DKC, I came here expecting to see praise for this game. Looks like I was wrong.

DKCR is my favorite game in the series, deal with it.

Edit: Yeah, I know I'm overreacting, but I'm just a bit mad after seeing some of the comments about this game on IGN.

Edited on by Timwario

Timwario

Philip_J_Reed

SkullMan wrote:

Aviator wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

For the second time, Skullman, you've made your point. Repeatedly.

Find something new to bring to the conversation (you're the fresh ideas man, after all), or drop it and move on.

You've been warned.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Punny

Timwario wrote:

Wow, after I was tired of seeing people on IGN hating on Retro's first attempt at DKC, I came here expecting to see praise for this game. Looks like I'm seeing the exact same thing here.

This is where you are wrong. I'm here to bring the love this masterpiece needs. DKCR is a fantastic game with something new around every corner. At times, all the interactivity with the environents makes the game seems cinematic. Don't listen to haters. Fanbases are hard to please.

SkullMan

Chicken Brutus wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

Aviator wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

For the second time, Skullman, you've made your point. Repeatedly.

Find something new to bring to the conversation (you're the fresh ideas man, after all), or drop it and move on.

You've been warned.

Ha, that wasn't my point before. My point before was the older games are better than this one. Now my ideas are bringing something new to conversation by saying we need something new and fresh in the sequel. You need to chill out and stop overreacting. I've been warned for saying we need fresh ideas in games today? You have got to be kidding me.

Timwario wrote:

Wow, after I was tired of seeing people on IGN hating on Retro's first attempt at DKC, I came here expecting to see praise for this game. Looks like I was wrong.

DKCR is my favorite game in the series, deal with it.

Edit: Yeah, I know I'm overreacting, but I'm just a bit mad after seeing some of the comments about this game on IGN.

Well the "hate" is warranted my friend. It's not that good of a game. I think it's mostly blind Nintendo fanboys claiming how amazing it is. You shouldn't expect every poster, gamer, and Nintendo fan here to think this game is the holy coveted grail of games.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.