Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 621 to 640 of 748

noname001

Kid_A wrote:

or the game getting "jet pack" confused with "well-timed-enemy-stomp-for-extra-air".

Clearly not that well timed then
But I totally agree the timing for it felt a bit weird compared to most platformers.

noname001

Kid_A

@Iz20XX
Ouch, really? Goldeneye broke my Wii earlier this year (well, it was kind of like the final needle that the crazed acupuncturist trying to bleed his patient to death stuck into his patient before the patient finally died...he was going to bleed to death anyway. This just happened to be the last needle he stuck in. God that was a weird comparison. But you get it.)

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

KaiserGX

SkullMan wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

I was born 1990. How hard is it to see that I just didn't like the original series?

Btw will you stop picking at everything I say, you just twist it up in a way that changes my meaning. DKCR didn't rely on that stuff not the original. Instead of Retro listening to the fans and copying what Rare did with more bells and whistles they did something that made it their own and vastly superior.

Not hard at all you were most likely barely 4 when the first came out and a 4 year old can't yet appreciate the game. I was almost 10 when it came out and it sticks in my brain like glue...as does the 2nd gem. I'm not picking and twisting what you say, I'm directly quoting you. You stated your opinion as fact...and I'm calling you out. Plus you're just quoting others and trying to apply it to a game that you weren't even old enough to remember.

Plus my point is that retro just copied what Rare did and updated" the graphics...even though I like the realistic grittier ones of the SNES. These ones are far too shiney, clean, and toon like for me. Adding 2.5 perspective or adding two planes to the same gameplay mechanics does nothing. The game is in no way bad, but living up to the hype, and delivering for me it just didn't. And trust me DKC 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I waited over 15 years for this and it let me down in almost every regard.

My other point all along has been that this game lacks an identity. It feels like a remake or update of the first game really, but not as good. Each game had it's theme and an identity with it, DKC 2 was so good because it felt fresh and new but familiar at the same time. The new levels, animal buddies, gameplay mechanics, the pirate theme, new world, etc. DKCR basically has the same levels for the most part throughout...a jungle, a forest, a factory, etc. 90% of the music is rehashed, all the same old mechanics, more barrels and minecarts. Those are great and staples but don't over use them and let that not be the only thing you have to bring to the table retro. I was expecting a whole new game. And I guess if you can't see this then your missing it, or never played the original enough.

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post man. This is just going to go around in circles, and I know how you people are online that make around 4 pages of argument saying "I didn't say you said this" or "You argument is flawed". "I fail to see your logic". It's a repetitive thing and I am tired of seeing this everywhere. I honestly don't care about this, so I will leave you by yourself.

Btw my age has nothing to do with the game. I played DKC when I was 12, When I play a game for the first time it surprises me the same way if I would have played it back then. I been playing Super Mario Bros since I was 5 and I appreciated everything for it back then and I still do today. I just didn't like DKC. If you think I was serious about being my opinion as fact then shame on you. You know opinions can never be fact. Except for the fact that the fact is that that is your opinion. I don't nick pick every little detail you say, nor will I post a list of quotes from you and telling you what I think.

I will say this for the last time, don't quote me again, I am not going to respond. I don't want to continue this and I hate this kind of discussion.

Edit: I decided to continue reading your post. "DKC 2 was so good because it felt fresh and new but familiar at the same time." sounds a lot like DKCR to me. Grass isn't in any of the DKC games, the rocket barrels, other mechanics and you still say it's a rehash. I love DKCR because it DOESN'T feel to me like the DKC I played. Besides tunes, characters and areas.

Ok really now, I am out.

Edited on by KaiserGX

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Spoony_Tech

lz20XX wrote:

Donkey Kong killed my Wii!! 1/10!!!

Don't blame donkey Kong. Whatever game you would have been playing would have done the same.

@Kid-a my Wii died as well with goldeneye in it.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LordTendoboy

KaiserGX wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

KaiserGX wrote:

I was born 1990. How hard is it to see that I just didn't like the original series?

Btw will you stop picking at everything I say, you just twist it up in a way that changes my meaning. DKCR didn't rely on that stuff not the original. Instead of Retro listening to the fans and copying what Rare did with more bells and whistles they did something that made it their own and vastly superior.

Not hard at all you were most likely barely 4 when the first came out and a 4 year old can't yet appreciate the game. I was almost 10 when it came out and it sticks in my brain like glue...as does the 2nd gem. I'm not picking and twisting what you say, I'm directly quoting you. You stated your opinion as fact...and I'm calling you out. Plus you're just quoting others and trying to apply it to a game that you weren't even old enough to remember.

Plus my point is that retro just copied what Rare did and updated" the graphics...even though I like the realistic grittier ones of the SNES. These ones are far too shiney, clean, and toon like for me. Adding 2.5 perspective or adding two planes to the same gameplay mechanics does nothing. The game is in no way bad, but living up to the hype, and delivering for me it just didn't. And trust me DKC 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I waited over 15 years for this and it let me down in almost every regard.

My other point all along has been that this game lacks an identity. It feels like a remake or update of the first game really, but not as good. Each game had it's theme and an identity with it, DKC 2 was so good because it felt fresh and new but familiar at the same time. The new levels, animal buddies, gameplay mechanics, the pirate theme, new world, etc. DKCR basically has the same levels for the most part throughout...a jungle, a forest, a factory, etc. 90% of the music is rehashed, all the same old mechanics, more barrels and minecarts. Those are great and staples but don't over use them and let that not be the only thing you have to bring to the table retro. I was expecting a whole new game. And I guess if you can't see this then your missing it, or never played the original enough.

I'm not even going to read the rest of your post man. This is just going to go around in circles, and I know how you people are online that make around 4 pages of argument saying "I didn't say you said this" or "You argument is flawed". "I fail to see your logic". It's a repetitive thing and I am tired of seeing this everywhere. I honestly don't care about this, so I will leave you by yourself.

Btw my age has nothing to do with the game. I played DKC when I was 12, When I play a game for the first time it surprises me the same way if I would have played it back then. I been playing Super Mario Bros since I was 5 and I appreciated everything for it back then and I still do today. I just didn't like DKC. If you think I was serious about being my opinion as fact then shame on you. You know opinions can never be fact. Except for the fact that the fact is that that is your opinion. I don't nick pick every little detail you say, nor will I post a list of quotes from you and telling you what I think.

I will say this for the last time, don't quote me again, I am not going to respond. I don't want to continue this and I hate this kind of discussion.

Edit: I decided to continue reading your post. "DKC 2 was so good because it felt fresh and new but familiar at the same time." sounds a lot like DKCR to me. Grass isn't in any of the DKC games, the rocket barrels, other mechanics and you still say it's a rehash. I love DKCR because it DOESN'T feel to me like the DKC I played. Besides tunes, characters and areas.

Ok really now, I am out.

I conpletely agree with you KaiserGX. To me, DKC Returns feels fresh and new because it doesn't rely on the same mechanics of the original games. The levels are more frantic and better designed, the foreground-background elements are a brilliant idea, and the overall feel of the game is improved.

I consider DKC Returns to be one of the best platformers I have ever played. Brilliant level design and gimmicks, coupled with the frantic difficulty, equals a gaming experience I'll never forget!

Also, I think the pre-rendered CG of the original DKC games makes them look gritty and ugly.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Spoony_Tech

Although I think donkey Kong country returns is a step in the right directions and love this games doesn't mean I didn't like the original games very much. As a matter of fact I want to replay the first one because of this game. I believe the first games to be some of the very best platform games of all time. I just prefer this style of platform game to most Mario games. The only 2d Mario games I really like are Mario world and the 2 newest ones for both the Wii and DS. With that said I think anyone who likes the new dkcr should at least try one of the older games. It might be to slow for some though after playing this one.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Worlds 5 and 6 have confirmed that this game is probably as awesome as the original. Granted it had to do a lot more than the original ever had to do (as DKC has some of the best level design ever despite being fairly short and at times not really clever). The people who think "OMG THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT" are hilarious btw. I haven't gotten a Game Over despite purposely dying a decent number of times and almost always getting the KONG letters before ever beating a level. I think that's my problem with the game, it should be much better than the original yet is as good and should be much harder (even playing the levels confirms this) yet is easier. I blame how you can get 20 coins blindfolded every level.

But I'm not complaining as it's still one of the only 4 games from 2010 that has a chance of winning Game of the Year anywhere and deserves it (along with Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and Galaxy 2).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Kid_A

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Worlds 5 and 6 have confirmed that this game is probably as awesome as the original...The people who think "OMG THIS IS TOO DIFFICULT" are hilarious btw.

Said the man who's only on world 6

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

pikku

this game has no run button! 2/5
sarcasm

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

Crazygamerfreak

Kid_A wrote:

Said the man who's only on world 6

World 6 for me wasn't too bad but of course everything got more and more difficult which was mainly when I got to world 8-3. Harest mine cart level ever. Yet I really did enjoy the game. I think they just went insane when they did the Golden Temple though. I really wondered what they were doing when they made that level...

But for the sake of all who haven't finished the game, I will not tell you about how or what to do that has me currently at 127%. I just don't want to spoil anything for you but if you really didn't care about the spoiler, just check my backloggery.

Me old Backloggery
Excitebike World Rally Friend Code: 3051 8498 5866
Goldeneye 007: 1244 - 1039 - 8836
Monster Hunter Tri: Name: Curt HR 150+
There are many consequences for the simpilest things we do.
Kicks are my...

LordJumpMad

This game is easy

untill........Spoiler*

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

pikmaniac02 wrote:

sarcasm

Sarcasm on the score or the fact that it doesn't have a run button cus it does you know.

MERG said:

razor10000

There is a run button. You hold 1 (if you use Wiimote by itself) and walk at the same time.

I'll kill you all with my CAP GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
GoldenEye 007: 2801-9617-6853

LzWinky

JumpMad wrote:

This game is easy

untill........Spoiler*

1-2?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

pikku

Tech101 wrote:

pikmaniac02 wrote:

sarcasm

Sarcasm on the score or the fact that it doesn't have a run button cus it does you know.

is there a run button on the nunchuck style?
if so, then shoot me D:

pikku

Spoony_Tech

pikmaniac02 wrote:

Tech101 wrote:

pikmaniac02 wrote:

sarcasm

is there a run button on the nunchuck style?
if so, then shoot me D:

Try and hold down whatever button the grab button is.

MERG said:

pikku

I did that instinctively when I first got it, then when I noticed that it didn't seem to be giving me any difference in spped, I trained myself to play w/o holding it sdown. now I have to train myself to do it again?

pikku

romulux

with the sideways remote hold 1 to run, on the nunchuk both running andwalking are handled by the analog stick. the joke he was making is that a while back some guy blasted the game for having no run button... a quick check of the instruction booklet takes less effort than complaining on the internet

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Ravage

NintyFan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Worlds 5 and 6 have confirmed that this game is probably as awesome as the original.

Wait until World 7. That place officially made the game for me when I got there, I love all of its levels.

I'm trying to remember what world I am on... I think I just beat the train boss; that would be the caves I believe, so I am on whichever one was after that. But so far the Beach world (i.e. the second world) was my favourite as there was quite a bit of variety in it.

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.