Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Posts 381 to 400 of 749

Odnetnin

You got a gold in Sunset Shore? Good for you! I need to try that one again. Also, did you guys know there is such a thing as a "super gold" medal according to my official guide? I wonder if that ups one's percentage to like 400 or something... XD

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

GreenThunder

Super Gold medals? This game really justifies a reason to use the homebrew channel! LOL

GreenThunder

Deviant_Mugen

World 3 gave me virtually no problems when it came to collecting the puzzle pieces, only the very last piece in World 3-4 was tough to find, but I did so eventually. Even World 3's temple was relatively tame compared to the last two, but thanks to impatience I still lost enough lives to get the Super Guide to pop up; I'd say I lost only 10 lives or so this time around...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

Machu

3rd of effing December omg. D:

Rawr!

Joeynator3000

...A giant head with two floating hands, how original Retro. xD
Anyways yeah, need to give this game a short break, even though I didn't really beat the game yet.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

SkullMan

I don't like this whole collection fetish games have no a days. The original didn't have any of this mumbo jumbo.

I miss the original DKC this one doesn't compare.

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

Kingbuilder

SkullMan wrote:

I don't like this whole collection fetish games have no a days. The original didn't have any of this mumbo jumbo.

You don't have to collect the items if you don't want to... Also, don't let nostalgia blind you from seeing a fantastic game. Sure, the originals are great and all, but they were in need of a revamp, and Retro did a fantastic job with that.

People should be less picky about whether it is or isn't like the originals, and just accept and embrace the fact that we finally got another 2D sidescroller Donkey Kong game.

“The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Kaeobais

BellGoRiiing wrote:

...A giant head with two floating hands, how original Retro. xD
Anyways yeah, need to give this game a short break, even though I didn't really beat the game yet.

Lol, I call it Andross every time I see it

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

Joeynator3000

Even though I haven't completely beaten the game yet, I have several things to state about this game. lol
Eh hem...
1. loves the Tiki's "aw crap" moment in the opening movie xD
2. For some reason the Tikis' hypnotic music gets stuck in my head.
3. Music Madness = Awesome Level
4. hates the rocket-barrel levels with the giant bat and the one in the volcano (only times I actually used the Super Guide too)
5. Time Trials scare me...and what do you have to do to get Mirror Mode?

Keep it PG-13-ish.

the_shpydar

SkullMan wrote:

Huh? Did you even play the originals? Granted, there's more collectible stuff this time around, but the original DKC games certainly had their share of collectible items.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

GreenThunder

YES!!! I got the gold medal in Time Attack for 3-K, 4-K, and 5-K. It wasn't easy, but I can't believe I did it though! Diddy really helped me in 4-K with the extra hearts, hovering and taking advantage of the invincibility frames from getting hit.

GreenThunder

SkullMan

the+shpydar wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

Huh? Did you even play the originals? Granted, there's more collectible stuff this time around, but the original DKC games certainly had their share of collectible items.

Haha, uhh good joke. Of course I played the original it's one of my favorite games ever, as well as DKC 2 I got them the first day they came out.

The only thing you collected was the KONG letters to get an extra life. Or of course bananas and such but it was all to get extra lives and never pressing to get them all. There was never this collection driven to 100% every level and such. The original had such a more carefree attitude because you could focus and enjoying the level instead of worrying about collecting every coin, puzzle, and beating time attack mode.

Edited on by SkullMan

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

SkullMan

Kingbuilder wrote:

SkullMan wrote:

You don't have to collect the items if you don't want to... Also, don't let nostalgia blind you from seeing a fantastic game. Sure, the originals are great and all, but they were in need of a revamp, and Retro did a fantastic job with that.

People should be less picky about whether it is or isn't like the originals, and just accept and embrace the fact that we finally got another 2D sidescroller Donkey Kong game.

Well I'm not, I've replayed DKC 1 and 2 recently and they still beat this game. DKCR is good, but not great. It seems they played it too close to the chest and were too afraid to deviate from the original formula. They kind of neutered the game so to speak. Only one animal buddy, as opposed to the 5 you got in original, I miss Expresso, Enguarde, Winky, and Squawks.

I miss the snow levels and and underwater ones which were quite relaxing between all the chaos. But the music is all the same, the levels are even mostly all the same thing just represented. I'm not a fan of the new look which is a bit too clean and toonie compared to the slightly darker grittier graphics of yesteryear. There's just a lot here that feels like I've been there done that and in a better game. DKCR falls short for me, and it was my most anticipated game ever. Hopefully if they make a sequel they can be more adventurous, because where it shines is original levels and Retro wasn't afraid to put in...but they are too far and few between.

Deviant_Mugen

@Skullman: Squawks is in Returns...

"Don't make enemies, they'll stab your heart; don't make friends, they'll stab your back. Including me, including you, all men are trash. Don't love; don't be loved. Have nothing to do with other; live in isolation."

SkullMan

Metroid_Fan wrote:

@Skullman: Squawks is in Returns...

Do you play as him though? I'm almost done and haven't run into him yet.

I don't get why Retro made some underwater levels, that ultimately they omitted as they felt too slow and unfitting to the overall gameplay!? The original had those nice slow relaxing water levels in between some of the more fast paced levels, it was a nice balance. This one just sticks it in your face like in the cavern every level having only a minecart in it.

Deviant_Mugen

No, you can only buy him from Cranky's shop for 15 banana coins and when you equip him in a level he'll start squawking whenever you're near a hidden puzzle piece...

SkullMan

Metroid_Fan wrote:

No, you can only buy him from Cranky's shop for 15 banana coins and when you equip him in a level he'll start squawking whenever you're near a hidden puzzle piece...

I see his silhouette at the shop but don't see how you buy him...?

Deviant_Mugen

You just hover the cursor over him...

Joeynator3000

Unless he bought him already, then if that's the case before you start the level you just activate him in your inventory.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

GreenThunder

I need help finding the puzzle piece in the level 5-K. I only have 4/5 and I don't see any where else in the stage it could be at.

GreenThunder

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.