Forums

Topic: D'oh! 360 Elite to sell for same money as Wii in UK.

Posts 21 to 28 of 28

KDR_11k

Bigdog wrote:

I still believe an HD Wii will come out before the Wii drops in price.

That is not a trivial change. Colors I could agree with but retooling the internal hardware to support much larger resolutions is way too large for a simple mid-generation update. Besides, HD wouldn't really boost the Wii's sales, there are few people who go "I like the Wii but I'm not going to buy it because it isn't HD".

Machu wrote:

I disagree, sorry. The majority of those people who want to buy a Wii, have already done so, the remainder are those folk who've been sitting on the fence.

Yes and to convince those the Wii needs more games. Only a fraction of these people is interested enough that it's merely a price difference that's keeping them away. A pricedrop causes a short term sales spike and then a drop to previous levels except with less profit per sale.

Now when it comes around to them buying a console, I think it's naive to think that they'll see the Wii as good value, when the 360 is cheaper.

But the 360 is worthless to them! The 360 does none of the things the Wii does. Mainstream people DO know the difference, they aren't going into stores and asking "do you have a console?", they've seen a specific game and ask for the console that plays that game. Nintendo's goal is to make sure the game most of these people ask for is a Wii game. There aren't many games on the other consoles that really increase the appeal to people who don't care about their current library either.

Machu wrote:

Remember, £200 is $325, we are ALREADY paying over the odds. We should be paying £150 which would be more inline with the rest of the world.

Yeah, the rest of the world excluding that huge continent right across the channel from you! The Wii costs 250€ and has costed that since the beginning. That translates to 350 USD. Your price hike is still below what we pay regularly. You know how you wouldn't have received a price hike? Should've joined the Euro back then!

Raincoat whore!

Machu

@KDR_11k: OK, if you don't think the Wii's price tag should be reduced, then fine, each to their own. But LIVING IN THE UK as I do, and having seen 1st hand the way in which the last two generations went, I say lower it. And your comment about more games, well, I wasn't asked about that, and that's pretty obvious to be honest.

Machu said (2days ago)... "Nintendo don't need the hardware sales, they need the software sales", so no need to convince me on that one. And as for joining the Euro, yeah I'll happily join the Euro, on one condition... they call it the pound!

Rawr!

KDR_11k

Hey, it's your currency that hit the shitter, not ours.

Nintendo needs the software to drive up the hardware sales, lowering the price won't do much. First party games are intended to drive the hardware sales (not just sell on their own), then the third parties get to sell games on that hardware and pay royalties to Nintendo. That's why Nintendo considered games like Wii Music a failure despite selling multi-million copies and probably making a profit: They failed to drive the hardware sales. That's also why Wii sales are down, their last major titles that were intended as killer apps failed to do their job and thus the ii momentum went away. To regain mommentum they need more killer apps. Not games that sell huge to the Wii audience, games that also sell big to the non-Wii audience.

Raincoat whore!

mrmicawber

KDR is right on

IGN: The holiday Wii lineup looks thin for the hardcore crowd. We see this. Gamers see this. What, if anything, is Nintendo planning to address it?

Oh good, I am neither a gamer or hardcore. Saves me from having to be IGNorant.
Right, Down, A, Down, Right, Up

Machu

Ergh, MODS?!?. KDR_11k said a bad word. . Quick, get him! though I know you won't

As for you guys I give up, I tried to read your post KDR_11k but it went all blurry half way down, sorry. I disagree, and shall continue to, but by all means, keep typing.

Rawr!

SpentAllMyTokens

It seems to me the bigger threat with a price drop of 360 and PS3 would be from people who already own a wii and now can buy a second console. Wii games will now have to compete with the 360 or PS3 libraries for sales from those people. It seems like we have quite a few on NLife now who are considering getting a second console, and I imagine these price drops put the consoles in range of a lot of people who wanted one originally, but couldn't justify paying $400-$600 for them when they were released.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Machu

Yup, even my Nintendo loving brother raised an eyebrow and went 'hhhmmm' when a PS3 ad came on earlier. If he buys one, that means he'll buy less Wii games, in theory. I couldn't bring myself to talking him out of it, I'm a Nintendo freak, but an honest one. And he is but one of many.

Rawr!

Knux

Nintendo needs to appeal to the hardcore audience as well as to the casual audience, if the Wii is to suceed during the console wars.

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.