Forums

Topic: D'oh! 360 Elite to sell for same money as Wii in UK.

Posts 1 to 20 of 28

City_Of_Delusion

Right. You may have heard that the RRP of the Wii is going up to £200 (due to Nintendo increasing the trade price some time ago).

You may have also heard of the PS3 Slim being £50 cheaper than the standard PS3.

Now, Microsoft has made their move, announcing that the 360 Elite will now sell for £200 (and the Arcade for £160, and the Pro to get phased out).

So, in short, from tomorrow you can get an 360 Elite for the same money as a Wii.

Whoops. Bad move, Nintendo.

Please no "Destroy This!" gags, please.
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=codb

Machu

Oh ****! Here we go again!

Just knock it down to £100 Nintendo, please. I am certain they will still be making a profit on each unit, where as we know S&M are taking losses. React Nintendo, for once in your life, react!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

edhe

I thought the idea was that the Wii console was supposed to be vastly cheaper - a true gaming console (no bells and whistles) you know, to make up for the crap online service, the extortionate wii remote pricing, not being able to play DVDs or MP3s and generally being less powerful* than an actual DVD player.

[* - Comic Exaggeration]

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

KDR_11k

Huh? My 360 Pro was cheaper than my Wii almost a year ago.

Why would Nintendo drop the price? They have no competition. Noone who's looking at a Wii will decide an HD console is the way to go because it's cheaper, it may be cheaper but it also lacks the things you'd want to buy a Wii for (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, ...). The only thing that dictates the Wii's price is its own value, not the price of the other consoles. Nintendo has stated they'd rather raise the Wii's value (make more killer apps) than drop the price. that is because Nintendo is following the Blue Ocean Strategy and no, that's not just a term they made up.

Besides, leading platforms don't respond to pricedrops, they drop at their own schedule and let everyone else panic. The PS2 retained its price the longest last generation.

Edited on by KDR_11k

Raincoat whore!

Bigdog

KDR_11k wrote:

Huh? My 360 Pro was cheaper than my Wii almost a year ago.

Why would Nintendo drop the price? They have no competition. Noone who's looking at a Wii will decide an HD console is the way to go because it's cheaper, it may be cheaper but it also lacks the things you'd want to buy a Wii for (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, ...). The only thing that dictates the Wii's price is its own value, not the price of the other consoles. Nintendo has stated they'd rather raise the Wii's value (make more killer apps) than drop the price. that is because Nintendo is following the Blue Ocean Strategy and no, that's not just a term they made up.

Besides, leading platforms don't respond to pricedrops, they drop at their own schedule and let everyone else panic. The PS2 retained its price the longest last generation.

Exactly. The "Wii sells well because it is the cheap console" is just an illusion. The truth of the matter is that most people who buy a Wii would buy a Wii no matter the relation to the other consoles. Nintendo has no pressure to drop price because of the others. At least not yet. I still believe an HD Wii will come out before the Wii drops in price.

If you are selling double the widgets, and at a higher profit margin, than all your competitors... why in the world would you lower the price?

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

warioswoods

^ you mean wiidgets.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Bigdog

warioswoods wrote:

^ you mean wiidgets.

lol. Couldn't use the term. Nintendo had already patented it.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

Machu

I disagree, sorry. The majority of those people who want to buy a Wii, have already done so, the remainder are those folk who've been sitting on the fence. Now when it comes around to them buying a console, I think it's naive to think that they'll see the Wii as good value, when the 360 is cheaper. The elite is obviously better value also what with the hard disk space, and now the PS3 slim has entered the fray with 120gig and a Bluray drive, for just £50 more, I think it's madness to think the Wii will do as well what with it's recent price increase. I don't understand Nintendo's logic on this, it's their usual 'wait and see' stance, which I imagine will prompt them to drop the price at Christmas having seen Wii sales stutter.

I'm an optimist and a Nintendoid so I hope you guys are right. But, in my opinion, there must be a price drop to avoid what happened in the last 2 generations here in the UK. I'm not talking about gamers here, I'm talking about the mainstream folk who wouldn't know the difference between them anyway.

£150 sounds about right, for now.

Rawr!

ArtMcCarthyDotCom

Now you can't say you got a wii because it was cheaper.

Go to artmccarthy.com

Machu

I'm not talking about me, or the Nintendo fans, I'm talking about normal people (shudders), the ones who watch x-factor and corrie and still play on there PS2's. What I'm trying to say is, Nintendo don't need the hardware sales, they need the software sales, by dropping the price tag and re-marketing, the user-base grows, blah de blah. Increasing the price tag at the back end of a recession seems ridiculous.

Rawr!

marktheshark

Machu wrote:

I'm not talking about me, or the Nintendo fans, I'm talking about normal people (shudders), the ones who watch x-factor and corrie and still play on there PS2's. What I'm trying to say is, Nintendo don't need the hardware sales, they need the software sales, by dropping the price tag and re-marketing, the user-base grows, blah de blah. Increasing the price tag at the back end of a recession seems ridiculous.

Price drops don't make as much of an impact as you think.

Name me one item that has sales drastically increased & maintains those sales for a while only because of a price cut.

LEGEND_MARIOID

The Xbox is far more unreliable as research has shown. You have to factor that in when discussing "value-for-money" as you would when buying a car for instance.

I wouldn't by it even if it were CHEAPER than the Wii right now, anyway. I'm not interested and I don't want my games budget to expand either. Especially in the current climate.

Still, £200 is TOO expensive for a Wii and £200 is argueably cheap for the Xbox Elite, but....

Edited on by LEGEND_MARIOID

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

Machu

@marktheshark: I'm not looking for impact, I'm looking for damage-limitation, and there's no point making general comparisons with unrelated products. If you guys think the price increase is a good idea then fine. But I don't. I could make the Wii sell really well by dropping the price point and aiming the marketing at the 'playstation generation', instead of aiming it toward mum's and teenage girls who are only gonna buy 3 games a year.

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Metang

Machu wrote:

Oh ****! Here we go again!

Just knock it down to £100 Nintendo, please. I am certain they will still be making a profit on each unit, where as we know S&M are taking losses. React Nintendo, for once in your life, react!

Listen, listen to this man, his words are full of truth and win

Images speak louder than words.
YouTube: TheLegendaryPirate
Email: e.&...

marktheshark

Machu wrote:

@marktheshark: I'm not looking for impact, I'm looking for damage-limitation, and there's no point making general comparisons with unrelated products. If you guys think the price increase is a good idea then fine. But I don't. I could make the Wii sell really well by dropping the price point and aiming the marketing at the 'playstation generation', instead of aiming it toward mum's and teenage girls who are only gonna buy 3 games a year.

The reason why the Wii is geared toward the expanded audience is because the "core" market is shrinking so there's no reason to market towards the "Playstation generation" which is probably part of the "core market." Besides, just how much damage is the 360 doing to the Wii? Links to sales charts comparing the 360 to Wii would be nice.

And no, I don't think the increase in price for the Wii is a good idea.

Machu

@marktheshark: I don't know how it is over there, but there is a distinct 'cool factor' to take into account over here (a loop I play no part in, there's nothing cooler than Nintendo for me). 64 and GC suffered here due to the pox and the pooh and their marketing strategies, and now I know quite a few Wii owners who have bought that 2nd console, whilst their Wii is gathering dust. This will only worsen if the prices stay similar to one another, and the comparisons that you seem fond of boil down to tech alone, bang for buck, so to speak.

Nintendo are stronger in America and Japan, NoE don't have a clue. Remember, £200 is $325, we are ALREADY paying over the odds. We should be paying £150 which would be more inline with the rest of the world.

But yeah, I can type all I want, it won't change a damn thing. Wii ftw!

Edited on by Machu

Rawr!

Sean_Aaron

The only way Nintendo will drop the price is if they see sales take a dive; they aren't going to do it in response to what Microsoft or Sony do; that just wouldn't make any sense.

And people who are saying that the Wii sells because it's the Wii are correct. The engine driving sales is folk that want the Wii experience, not people just looking for a new gaming rig. Whether or not Nintendo can win over gamers who bought Playstations during the dark days of N64/Gamecube, and who wrote off the Wii as a casual/kiddie system is unclear, but I don't think a price drop would matter to that audience.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Knux

WOW, Nintendo needs to drop the price fast on the Wii in BOTH the USA and the UK.

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.