Forums

Topic: Check out this pirate

Posts 21 to 37 of 37

V8_Ninja

Swerd_Murd wrote:

it's a pirate justifying piracy. Nothing new. Chances are he pirates movies anyway so his argument is garbage.

Agreed. This is just BS stacked on BS. While I agree that games are a bit expensive ($60 for a racing game that's just a rip-off of Need for Speed or GT?), you shouldn't pirate. just wait until the game drops in price or start scouring Amazon for older (and most likely better) games. That's what I would do if I had a strong feeling about games being too much money.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Ramandus

Luigi78 wrote:

I pirate music and films quite a bit and I'm not afraid to say it. I may differ from some though as I use it more to 'demo' an album or film. In this day and age where we are bombarded by so much media day in day out, there is no way I could afford to buy everything that I have a mild intrest in. If it's good then I'll buy it legit, if it's dross then sorry but you don't deserve my money. Strangely though I have never pirated games. I think this is to do with the fact that if I don't like a game I can trade/sell it at little to no finacial loss plus it is easier IMO to know when you will like a game based on reviews/previews than it is with music or films and a lot less of them are made in comparison.

Pirating music and films is an interesting point, but in this day and age where you can download mp3s from Amazon for 99 cents or rent a DVD at Redbox for 99 cents a night it kind of takes away that argument. Not only that, but YouTube is a quick way to preview a song or album.

I know that $50 is a lot to many people, but you just need to know where to buy, when to buy, etc. Register at CAG forums, get an ECA membership, buy from Amazon. If you do that, you pay $40 shipped for games from Amazon as opposed to $50 plus tax. Also, even places like Best Buy and Toys R Us recently had buy 2-get-1 free sales. You just need to be a savvy shopper.

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Wii: 8703 7486 8875 3789
I love PWN3NG NintendoLife members on Tatsunoko :-)

OldBoy

Ramandus wrote:

Luigi78 wrote:

I pirate music and films quite a bit and I'm not afraid to say it. I may differ from some though as I use it more to 'demo' an album or film. In this day and age where we are bombarded by so much media day in day out, there is no way I could afford to buy everything that I have a mild intrest in. If it's good then I'll buy it legit, if it's dross then sorry but you don't deserve my money. Strangely though I have never pirated games. I think this is to do with the fact that if I don't like a game I can trade/sell it at little to no finacial loss plus it is easier IMO to know when you will like a game based on reviews/previews than it is with music or films and a lot less of them are made in comparison.

Pirating music and films is an interesting point, but in this day and age where you can download mp3s from Amazon for 99 cents or rent a DVD at Redbox for 99 cents a night it kind of takes away that argument. Not only that, but YouTube is a quick way to preview a song or album.

I have some obscure tastes in music and film so some of it won't be on You Tube or Amazon and I don't know where you live but in the UK it is £3.95 to rent a movie so that's probably about $7-8 so it would be pretty expensive (I watch a lot of movies ).

What's this bit for again?

Philip_J_Reed

shake_zula wrote:

I didn't mean that I do it because everyone else does, I meant that given how widespread piracy is I find it hard to believe that everyone in this thread is squeaky clean

...but I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed to be squeaky clean, so you're debunking a claim nobody made.

When somebody says "Stealing is illegal," for instance, they're stating a fact. You can ask them in return whether or not THEY'VE ever stolen things, but regardless of their answer, it's irrelevant. Stealing is, in fact, illegal, and pointing that out isn't something that only squeaky-clean individuals are qualified to do. Legality is not peer-group sensitive.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

SwerdMurd

Chickens can't steal anyway they don't have opposable thumbs....you can't hold up a convenience store with a gun in your wing.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

A-SWE

sigh.... if a guy like me, that have no income most of the time, can aford to buy lotsa games, shouldn't other people to? I mean, sure some games are a bit overpriced but i find most games being avaible at a reasonable price. People that use that argument for pirating games just want the games for free and would still pirate even if a new game was only 10$

[url=http://backloggery.com/mrb][/url]

shake_zula

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

shake_zula wrote:

I didn't mean that I do it because everyone else does, I meant that given how widespread piracy is I find it hard to believe that everyone in this thread is squeaky clean

...but I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed to be squeaky clean, so you're debunking a claim nobody made.

When somebody says "Stealing is illegal," for instance, they're stating a fact. You can ask them in return whether or not THEY'VE ever stolen things, but regardless of their answer, it's irrelevant. Stealing is, in fact, illegal, and pointing that out isn't something that only squeaky-clean individuals are qualified to do. Legality is not peer-group sensitive.

Well clearly stealing is illegal, I think it's safe to assume that people are stating their moral stance here rather than clarifying the law :/

shake_zula

Nintendo Network ID: shake_zula

jbrodack

that poster on the other site was just stupid and trying to start crap.

legally obviously all piracy is illegal. Morally its kinda a gray area to me.

Downloading old emulated games isn't a big deal but you should really support anything you get any real enjoyment out of and actually pay especially if its something somewhat new. It always makes me angry when I see pirates devalue games or other media and use that to justify pirating. It just shows contempt for the work put into the media and makes them look dumb and spoiled when they are like "I pirate all this stuff and it all sucks too"

occasionally I'll pirate an artists old stuff I i already bought their newer albums or make it a point to support them when they come out with something new. I generally try to support artists as best I can but since my taste in music is so huge and varied there is some stuff I haven't payed for.

In general I try to support hard working creators. Its also why I MUCH prefer buying games new as financially for the game companies its the same thing as piracy only difference is that its legal. Also, gamestop charges way too much for used games especially considering how little they pay for your used games.

wii code: 2630-2655-0027-8482
onslaught friend code: 1977-7779-8949
bomberman blast: 1634 2282 0930

the_shpydar

I love the (lack of) logic. Ok, so that new Sony VAIO laptop i want is way overpriced, so i'm justified in just taking it, right? Oy. It's bad enough to to pirate, but even worse to try and justify it as ok.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

NotEnoughGolds

In what universe is a DVD $5 while a Wii game is $70?
In my country a DVD is $15 and a Wii game is $50.
Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

NotEnoughGolds

RandomWiiPlayer

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Blank DVDs are NOT $15. You can get a stack of 30 for $15. It is $5 for a stack of 5 DVDs.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

LzWinky

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Your country?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ben878

I've pirated games before. It puts you right off playing it for some reason. When you actually buy a game you get all the packaging the disc/box/manual art etc and you feel more compelled to play it. If you download it it's just like meh I can't be bothered/am not up to playing it.

Dicesukeinuzuka

Ben878 wrote:

I've pirated games before. It puts you right off playing it for some reason. When you actually buy a game you get all the packaging the disc/box/manual art etc and you feel more compelled to play it. If you download it it's just like meh I can't be bothered/am not up to playing it.

Same here, thats probably why I don't care for my PSP much, I got someone to hack it and put 2 games on it. both were Japanese only but I couldn't bring myself to play either of them much, the only game I really play is Crisis Core: Final Fantasy that I bought legally with my PSP

call me Dicesuke Inuzuka, Daisuke, Dice, or Dai.
deviant art page:
http://dicesukeinuzuka.deviantart.com/

Dicesukeinuzuka

Ramandus wrote:

RandomWiiPlayer wrote:

I agree with him, games are to expensive.

Games are NOT expensive. People just need to be smarter shoppers.

I agree, with Ramandus that is.

Edited on by Dicesukeinuzuka

call me Dicesuke Inuzuka, Daisuke, Dice, or Dai.
deviant art page:
http://dicesukeinuzuka.deviantart.com/

Knux

He is a pirate justifying piracy, and he is being a hypocrite. Some games are cheap, some games are too expensive. But, there are many games that last WAY LONGER than 10 hours. He is justfying theft, and that is just wrong.

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.