Wii Forum

Topic: Buy Any NPC Games? Stop It!

Showing 21 to 40 of 282

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

21. Posted:

New Play Control. It's a series of lower-priced Wii titles that are simple Gamecube ports with updated controls to make use of the Wii remote's motion features.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Toddr

22. Posted:

Alright. That makes a lot more sense. I knew about new play control but I never made the connection between the two.

Wii friend code: 4851 0320 2775 0243 MarioKart Wii: 3008 3258 4955 Super Smash Bros Brawl: 3180 1076 7318

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gameking23

23. Posted:

Terranigma wrote:

The only games i don't have for the GC in the NPC line up are Chibi-Robo and the Pikmin's. After those, when they release Metroid Prime 1 & 2 as well.

Metroid Prime 1&2 would be fun with Wii controls, but since I already have them there really is no point in getting them.

I rule when it comes to games. So deal with it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

King_Elemento

24. Posted:

gameking23 wrote:

Terranigma wrote:

The only games i don't have for the GC in the NPC line up are Chibi-Robo and the Pikmin's. After those, when they release Metroid Prime 1 & 2 as well.

Metroid Prime 1&2 would be fun with Wii controls, but since I already have them there really is no point in getting them.

Those two are the only ones I'm considering to get. I think I'll see which control setup for FPSs I prefer beforehand though, since I can borrow Metroid Prime 1 or 2 from a friend pretty much whenever I like.

Wii: 0586-8683-7141-4552
MKWii: 4940-9518-0566
SSBB: 4897-8741-8094

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

25. Posted:

__adam wrote:

Even if Pikmin and Pikmin 2 play better with Wii controls, I'm not buying the same game to replay it with a different controller. Give me Pikmin 3 and everyone will be happy, newcomers to the franchise and veterans.

That said, it could be that the reason for this drought of new games is because the ones in development are simply taking longer. I think most of those games listed for Oct07 - Apr08 were made by different teams, so maybe they could all be working on new Wii games right now. The best games often take more than a year to develop. I doubt it takes a lot of resources to put out these remakes.

I'm with you on the Pikmin 3 thing.
Unfortunately since Nintendo won't want every Pikmin on the shelf competing against each other, we might have to wait until NPC Pikmin 1 and 2 both die before 3 is released.
That will be... a while.

About the whole games thing, that hasn't stopped them before.
They've always had plenty of teams working on plenty of projects all at the same time.
If we're going to say "Yeah they have a lot of people" and "These remakes don't take that long" then what have all these people been doing?
And what about the people making these remakes? What would they be doing right now if the remakes didn't exist?

gameking23 wrote:

As 4 Pikimin why not just go and buy a used copy at least it would be cheaper than the $30 Nintendo is asking 4.

Bingo my friend!

Mama+Luigi wrote:

Because i'm not allowed to buy USED games from internet.

Ask someone else.
The chances are very slim you do not know at least one person you can give $15 and have them order you Pikmin for the Gamecube.

Terranigma wrote:

Maybe the GC Pokemon's or the first Battalion Wars, or even Double Dash. Not the greatest selection but just some ideas to toss around.

All we can do is hope these are the last remakes.
Right now Nintendo has more old games than new games lined up for this year, and if they announce more, that won't change for a while.
How long until all Wii owners want more new games than old games? Hopefully soon.

Dazza wrote:

The forum is saved!!! :D

Glad I can help.

If you wanted to toss a company car in my direction I'd totally understand.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kid_A

26. Posted:

Oh for pete's sake. If you want to buy a New Play Control game, then go ahead and buy one! Why can't I just buy the games I want without being scrutinized by these hardcore gamers who take themselves way to seriously? Why can't I just have fun playing the games I want to play? People are acting like they've never heard of a remake before. Nobody complains about all those Final Fantasy remakes, why are these NPC games any different?

Okay sorry for that rant there, I'm just really sick of all the hatred for the NPC games. I've heard enough of it. Oh and I'm new here, so go easy on me.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

27. Posted:

Kid_A wrote:

Oh and I'm new here, so go easy on me.

Easy?
I'm only easy when I'm around teh sexay wimmens.

Kid_A wrote:

Why can't I just buy the games I want without being scrutinized by these hardcore gamers who take themselves way to seriously? Why can't I just have fun playing the games I want to play?

Nobody is taking anything too seriously nor throwing around the silly, often misused "hardcore"

This is a case of wanting new games more than old games.
If you want new games more than old games, you can't support Nintendo's current actions.
Simple as that.

Kid_A wrote:

Nobody complains about all those Final Fantasy remakes, why are these NPC games any different?

Final Fantasy remakes are usually not playable on the platform they're being made for.
Gamecube games can be played on the Wii.
Final Fantasy SNES cartridges can not be placed inside the DS. (Not 100% sure I haven't tried)

There's a huge difference.
Like Chrono Trigger was a remake for the DS, but that was okay because DS owners couldn't play Chrono Trigger already.
Wii owners can already play these games.

Nintendo is releasing games we can already play. They're also not releasing new games.
See the problem yet?

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ricardo91

28. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

Did Sony remake PS1 games because a lot of PS2 users didn't know their PS2 could play PS1 games?
Yeahhh

That's not a good comparison. PS1 games would control EXACTLY THE SAME on PS2 as they would on PS1. That would be just plain stupid. Nintendo's newfangled motion controller gives them a perfect excuse to rehash the same game from 4 years ago. While some of them, like Pikmin and Metroid Prime, might control better with the Wiimote, that's no reason why they couldn't apply the same brand of motion controls and accessability to Pikmin 3. If it wasn't for this damn series, I could be playing that and Punch-Out!! right now...

I really wanted to play NPC Mario Power Tennis, cuz tennis games fit the Wii like a glove, but after seeing all those horrible reviews, I guess they can't work all the time...

Just Because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!- Homer Simpson
Nintendolife Chat. I'm never in it, but it's good to ptomote these things.
VC-Forums. We're desperate. Please join.
My Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

29. Posted:

It'd be different if they were remaking an N64 game to have Wii controls and improved graphics, that would be different, and I might -- might -- even support that. But remaking Gamecube games with minor changes for a system that already plays Gamecube games is just a bit silly.

About Pikmin, I hadn't thought of Pikmin 3 competing against these remakes. That makes sense. In light of that, I am going to put my money on a new Star Fox this year. I can't think of another Nintendo franchise that would be both a good holiday seller and not already on Wii.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nanaki

30. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

Did Sony remake PS1 games because a lot of PS2 users didn't know their PS2 could play PS1 games?
Yeahhh

I'm with Ricardo91 here. It's a different kettle of fish with Nintendo; the PS1 and PS2 had the same controlers - ergo New Play Control would be impossible.

AlexSays wrote:

Nintendo is releasing games we can already play. They're also not releasing new games.
See the problem yet?

Nintendo are releasing the games that the old consumer base have played. Do you have any idea of how many new people there are to the market? It is perfect business sense to re-release these games on the Wii; there is minimal effort involved in these ports with new controls slapped on, which ensures a higher profit margin for Nintendo. It's harsh, but that's business for you.

As for the NPC games, I do see what you mean about them being a bit of a rip-off, but they are improved versions of their predecessors, especially Pikmin (I scored that one 9/10 in my review).

It's interesting that you brought this up though, because it has been the focal point in a part of a new series of features we're brining to the site. Watch this space!

Nanaki

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

31. Posted:

Ricardo91 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Did Sony remake PS1 games because a lot of PS2 users didn't know their PS2 could play PS1 games?
Yeahhh

That's not a good comparison. PS1 games would control EXACTLY THE SAME on PS2 as they would on PS1. That would be just plain stupid. Nintendo's newfangled motion controller gives them a perfect excuse to rehash the same game from 4 years ago.

Well I brought that up because his whole thing was "Wii owners don't know they can play Gamecube games"
Same holds true for the PS2 and a majority of it's users.

Like what you kinda referred to though, Sony couldn't pass this off as being "Hey we're gonna let you play this with new controls! Yay!"
PS2 fans would actually see the remakes for what they were, a quick shot at cash and a chance to be lazy, and then Sony might have lost the few fans that would go on to buy a PS3. lol

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ricardo91

32. Posted:

Nanaki wrote:

Nintendo are releasing the games that the old consumer base have played. Do you have any idea of how many new people there are to the market? It is perfect business sense to re-release these games on the Wii; there is minimal effort involved in these ports with new controls slapped on, which ensures a higher profit margin for Nintendo. It's harsh, but that's business for you.

For all we know, the new audience that the Wii has brought in doesn't even care about these games, hence Stuffgamer saying that they've been selling poorly.

Edited on by Ricardo91

Just Because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!- Homer Simpson
Nintendolife Chat. I'm never in it, but it's good to ptomote these things.
VC-Forums. We're desperate. Please join.
My Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

33. Posted:

Well, the concern here is that good sales for games that require almost no effort on Nintendo's part would encourage a slower release schedule of brand new games since they wouldn't need them. It's not that the games might not be better with the new controls. I bet Pikmin and Metroid are.

But is that enough for those who have already bought the games for GC and finished them? If Nintendo continues to rely on old games for sales instead of releasing new ones, long-time fans are at a loss. Obviously, they're not going to stop making new games entirely, but there's no denying the release schedule has slowed since that initial rush of new games they were pushing with Prime, Galaxy, Paper Mario, etc.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nanaki

34. Posted:

Ricardo91 wrote:

Nanaki wrote:

Nintendo are releasing the games that the old consumer base have played. Do you have any idea of how many new people there are to the market? It is perfect business sense to re-release these games on the Wii; there is minimal effort involved in these ports with new controls slapped on, which ensures a higher profit margin for Nintendo. It's harsh, but that's business for you.

For all we know, the new audience that the Wii has brought in doesn't even care about these games, hence Stuffgamer saying that they've been selling poorly.

It's all about anticipating sales. Think for a moment; why else would Nintendo release these games? It's obviously what they were trying to do, which makes sense on paper -- I didn't elude to that actually being the case. I think Pikmin has sold around 300,000 units, and I would be very interested to see what the development costs were in comparison. I can't envision it being much to slap the new controls on, so I'd be surprised if it's losing Nintendo money -- hence my reasoning for why Nintendo are pursuing this route.

Nanaki

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

35. Posted:

Nanaki wrote:

Nintendo are releasing the games that the old consumer base have played. Do you have any idea of how many new people there are to the market? It is perfect business sense to re-release these games on the Wii; there is minimal effort involved in these ports with new controls slapped on, which ensures a higher profit margin for Nintendo. It's harsh, but that's business for you.

I know all this.
Which is why people should want Nintendo to stop taking advantage of those who don't know they can already play these games.
We should let it be known new fans and old fans both want new games.
My original post never questioned why they're doing. It's a friendly reminder that if people here want new games, they can't help support these remakes.

Nanaki wrote:

As for the NPC games, I do see what you mean about them being a bit of a rip-off, but they are improved versions of their predecessors, especially Pikmin (I scored that one 9/10 in my review).

Ehh the jury is out on Mario Tennis being an improvement.

Pikmin is an improvement but (A) Its shelf time might determine how long until we see Pikmin 3 and (B) purchasing the game means you're okay with Nintendo making these "rip-offs"

And I'm seeing an 8 out of 10 on your review, which is where I was originally going to post this but I thought the forum could use some flavor. lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Digiki

36. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

This is a case of wanting new games more than old games.
If you want new games more than old games, you can't support Nintendo's current actions.
Simple as that.
...
Nintendo is releasing games we can already play. They're also not releasing new games.
See the problem yet?

I want old games more than new games, but those NPC games aren't old enough, nor good enough for their price tag compared to the competition. But by releasing Wiimakes, the more important teams can focus on other things, if they didn't release these Wiimakes as Terranigma (I think) already said they probably wouldn't release anything. But I suppose if we had it your way we'd get 9 games but some would suck like DK Barrel Whatever, or be packaged with a pointless peripheral like Link.

Nintendo isn't releasing new games, doesn't that mean they are likely making new games? But you say that's a problem, I can think of a quick solution for you. Nintendo could liscense Mario and the gang to DSI and have them crank out the Nintendo games ;)

It's kind of funny though how you argue things like NPC (which are, core games and not mingame collections), but then last year when the VC was crap you were defending Nintendo, since it was in their best interest and they knew what they were doing.

Kid_A wrote:

Nobody complains about all those Final Fantasy remakes, why are these NPC games any different?

Tons of people complain about all the FF remakes.

Edited on by Digiki

Digiki's Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nanaki

37. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

And I'm seeing an 8 out of 10 on your review, which is where I was originally going to post this but I thought the forum could use some flavor. lol

Whoops, typo there -- yeah, 8/10 (I know my own content... honest!) I do think that the game is better than the original -- put the GC and Wii versions side by side and I will always go for the Wii -- it's just that with it being a port, I couldn't justify a fantastic score.

AlexSays wrote:

Ehh the jury is out on Mario Tennis being an improvement.

I'm with you on that one

AlexSays wrote:

Pikmin is an improvement but (A) Its shelf time might determine how long until we see Pikmin 3 and (B) purchasing the game means you're okay with Nintendo making these "rip-offs"

Yes, I suppose I am OK with them. I enjoy replaying these titles. Sure, I would like to see new content, but I don't mind the recycled stuff. The creative minds of Nintendo aren't working on these ports, so I doubt it is really hindering the development of new titles.

Nanaki

AuthorMessage
Avatar

greyelephant

38. Posted:

As long as the game shows improvement (Pikmin), then I see no reason why NOT to buy it. However, this thread brings up some very valid points. Nintendo is slow with it comes to developing new games for us to play. I didn't want a GCN Pikmin. I wanted Pikmin 3. I also wish to see a better variety of other games instead of the same things rehased over and over. This system has more potential then anyother system out there and I feel Nintendo is missing a grand opportunity to exploit it.

The DS has wonderful games on it and I can't figure out for the life of me why they haven't put any of those type of games on the Wii.

Mario Kart code, 4854 6869 0410 "Tim"
Animal Crossings City Folk Code:1119-1011-8429 , Name: Emily, Town: Peachy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

39. Posted:

I will buy the Metroid Prime series whenever they are released for NPC.

brooks83

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

40. Posted:

Nanaki wrote:

The creative minds of Nintendo aren't working on these ports, so I doubt it is really hindering the development of new titles.

I don't know that it is a matter of "Putting these programmers at work on NPC titles is deterring them from creating new titles," but rather "If Nintendo keeps publishing rehashed titles, it will slow the release of new titles -- not because there aren't the resources for them -- but because they don't want the new titles to compete with the old ones, making the old ones look unworthy of purchase." I'm sure new games are being developed, too, but the question is more, when will we see them? Without these GC remakes to lean on, Nintendo would have more pressure to release new games at a more frequent pace like they were doing a year or two ago.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.