Forums

Topic: Buy Any NPC Games? Stop It!

Posts 181 to 200 of 281

AlexSays

ilomoga wrote:

I didn't have the GameCube version and this game obviously makes more fun when you play it with the Wiimote

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this? lol

Oh well I'll play along.

IGN wrote:

For a series that’s all about improving control, New Play Control: Mario Power Tennis takes an ironic turn for the worse.

VideoGamer wrote:

As much as it pains us to say it, having been big fans of the original GameCube game, the control issues in this Wii port make Mario Power Tennis hard to recommend.

Official Nintendo Magazine UK wrote:

Attractive tennis with a Mario twist, but hobbled by hard-to-aim motion controls.

Games Master UK wrote:

The Wii controls haven't enhanced it in any way but it's still a decent tennis game.

Need more? lol
Yeah it's OBVIOUSLY more fun the Wii remote.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

ilomoga

Well, now you tell me, I see that I'm wrong and only imagining the fun I'm having with the game ...

ilomoga

Adam

Rally wrote:

What Is Going On? What Is An NPC?

NPC stands for the Notorious Petunia Company. Now, reread all the posts in this thread and let me know if that clears things up. Glad to help.

... it is also known to stand for New Play Control, a series of "Wii-makes" -- remakes of Gamecube games with the only changes being widescreen, 480p (I think), and Wii remote support. But I'm pretty sure this thread is referring to the Notorious Petunia Company, so don't worry about that.

EDIT: That post has since been deleted for some reason, but I'll leave this response up in case anyone else is wondering the same.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

CowLaunch

Mario+Wii=Fun
Smash Bros.+Wii=Fun

Gamecube Mario Tennis+Wii=Pain

CowLaunch

Rally

Ohhhh......... Remakes of games. Well, this is lame, but i didn't think that the Namco Museum Remix was that bad, even though this game started with the GBA/ Xbox/ Ps2 stuff. Then again............

I miss having a chatroom that was always in beta.

Nintendo Network ID: --- | Twitter:

Adam

No problem. However, the Namco Museum Remix is different. The NPC series is exclusively for first-party Gamecube games remade for Wii controls. NPC doesn't refer to any remake. On the box it'll say "New Play Control!" Currently available (I think) are Pikmin, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Mario Power Tennis. Planned NPC titles (again, I think) include Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2.

Come on, friends,

Kizzi

Honestly, I don't think nintendo even cares if their slacking. They are so far ahead of any other system and have so many people wrapped around their finger! They could release any game they wanted and still make money! I guess its all about the marketing for nintendo right now, unfortunately. The cold hard facts, however, is that as long as nintendo is doing well financially, they can release games whenever they want. Hopefully this doesn't cause the quality of games to go down. =(
Not saying NPC are bad games

3DS: 4081-5713-4255
wii: 0919 8248 3945 8359
Brawl: 3866 8155 2677
MK: 4167 4898 3288
excite bots: 1848 9258 6300

Stuffgamer1

__adam wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

I also believe that Iwata was referring to the lack of brand-new games without bashing NPC. There's simply no reason to believe he has a problem with these titles.

"From that viewpoint, we at Nintendo have to reflect on domestic Wii software deployment in the former half of this year. Like what had been to be released in the former half of this year was postponed to the latter, we were not able to reach the original goal – to regularly make new proposals."
Sorry to be the skeptic here, but the fact that Nintendo is admitting to titles that were supposed to be ready for this half of the year are now being delayed to second half of the year seems more than disturbingly coincidental. How is it that these NPC titles were ready for release in the exact time frame that these other titles were supposed to be? Again, pardon my skepticism because I'd love for it to be a strange coincidence, but I think Nintendo smelled effortless profits and decided to delay new titles just to give these a chance to sell without self-competition.

If this isn't a coincidence, how do you explain the many delays that Twilight Princess had? Or Brawl, or Super Mario Galaxy, or any number of Nintendo games. Basically, Nintendo is the only company I know with a solid reputation for releasing a game when it's done instead of when the due date is up. Remember the quote (maybe paraphrased; not sure I've got it down PERFECTLY):

"Delay a game, and it can still be good. Release a bad game, and it's bad forever."

Since the Wii doesn't support title updates like Xbox 360 and PS3, that statement is 100% correct! I still say that the delays of new games are for the good of the new games, and not because of the release of the NPC series.

As for the definition of "hardcore" I used, I only meant that I'm a serious life-long Nintendo fan who's ALWAYS happy to play the classics (however modern they may be) in a new, improved form. That definition is CLEARLY separated from the casual newbies who just bought a Wii as their first game system EVER.

Don't get the idea that I believe Nintendo can do no wrong. You see me around this site and you'll KNOW that ain't the case! It just so happens that I believe that Nintendo made a good move with the NPC series. The upgrades are enough to make me happy, and should a first-time Wii buyer be interested in them, it'll be MUCH easier for them to try them out (see my previous posts way back around page 7 or 8 of this thread for more on that)!

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Kizzi

I agree with stuff gamer1. But you have to admit that nintendo is slacking a little bit. I mean, you can't delay every good game. Here's what I think: Nintendo released the NPC series, which was a good idea. Unfortunately, they caused most of there Wii titles to be delayed because they put alot more effort into the NPC. But that's ok, I can wait a couple more months.

Oh the NPC series doesn't mean they aren't going to make more games for the popular nintendo franchises. They may not come as soon as you would like, but maybe nintendo is trying to raise awareness for their franchises???? Marketing people!

Adam

There were plenty other games released during Twilight Princess's delay, and even more so for the others you named, Stuffy. It's not an apt comparison. In place of the games that were delayed this year (whatever those delicious nuggets of entertainment goodness may be), we got -- up until a week ago, at least for America -- nothing but old games.

And the reason I pick on your definitions is because, no, there isn't a clear distinction. You can't divide people by who has every Nintendo system ever and those who only have a Wii. That leaves out so many people in between. I know a lot of people who stopped playing video games, or at least Nintendo systems, after the SNES, but they got a Wii. Would you call these hardcore Nintendo fans, people who didn't support the company for two generations? Or would you call them casuals, despite the fact that they were supporting Nintendo at its very start? I just don't see how these definitions are useful, and the problem is compounded by the fact that these silly terms are thrown about with new meanings everyday by journalists and fans alike. I've seen conversations go on where it looked like the two people were discussing completely different concepts using the same words.

In summary and conclusion: The words "hardcore" and "casual" need to die.

...oh, I got carried away.

Come on, friends,

Stuffgamer1

I find it hard to believe that these past few months have been the first major dry spell we've had from Nintendo EVER. You still have to consider the fact that Nintendo is also supporting the DS, which could theoretically cause them to pull away from Wii releases for a little bit. There are always reasons for delays and release-less periods, and I choose not to automatically assume there was no reason for it.

As for the "hardcore-casual" thing, I don't think that two groups of people are enough. Those who skipped two generations of Nintendo hardware could still be classified as "fans," or maybe "former-and-again fans" (I think I've heard that kind of phrase somewhere before). The REALLY serious Nintendo fans (like myself) have been playing primarily Nintendo systems for the past 14+ years and still prefer their Wii above other systems (though I do have and enjoy a 360 and a PS3, for different reasons).

Also, on a digression, I wonder how many variations of my screen name I've seen on this site...however many, the one you just posted gets the "strangest" award, Adam. Congratulations.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Adam

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that these past few months have been the first major dry spell we've had from Nintendo EVER. You still have to consider the fact that Nintendo is also supporting the DS, which could theoretically cause them to pull away from Wii releases for a little bit. There are always reasons for delays and release-less periods, and I choose not to automatically assume there was no reason for it.

I don't know if it's the first major dry spell or not, but now is definitely the time when they have the least excuse for it considering how many studios and how much dough they have. And yes, they have been supporting the DS and promoting the DSi, but like AlexSaid, that's not really relevant to the Wii owner, which is what this thread is about.
I'm not saying there's no reason. I'm just saying the reason may well be a disagreeable one, that they would rather get away with cheap rehashes for now instead of pushing new titles. Whatever the financial reasons, it is disappointing to the hardcorz fan of new games.

As for the "hardcore-casual" thing, I don't think that two groups of people are enough. Those who skipped two generations of Nintendo hardware could still be classified as "fans," or maybe "former-and-again fans" (I think I've heard that kind of phrase somewhere before). The REALLY serious Nintendo fans (like myself) have been playing primarily Nintendo systems for the past 14+ years and still prefer their Wii above other systems (though I do have and enjoy a 360 and a PS3, for different reasons).

I don't really see the need to categorize at all. If that's your bag, that's fine. I just find I've personally reached the saturation limit for how many times I can read the hardcore : casual binary opposition. I fundamentally reject the notion of the essential quality of the dominant relation in the hierarchy, choosing rather to expose these relations and the dependency of the dominant term on its apparently subservient counterpart. The only way to properly understand these meanings is to deconstruct the assumptions and knowledge systems which produce the illusion of singular meaning. This act of deconstruction illuminates how male can become female, how speech can become writing, how hardcore can become casual, and how rational can become emotional. [Fun Fact: One well known approach to argument is to leave the audience not understanding a word you've said, and the best way to do this is to copy and paste from any article on deconstruction with minor edits to make it seem slightly on-topic.]

Also, on a digression, I wonder how many variations of my screen name I've seen on this site...however many, the one you just posted gets the "strangest" award, Adam. Congratulations.

I tend to shorten user names and add -y to them. Always seems to sound better to me. Glad you liked it, Stuffalupagus.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

0-Watt

In response to the original poster, one can always turn to Third Party games for their gaming substance. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been working on M+ stuff, and due to the delay into summer, they had to push their overall schedule ahead.

I do find the NPC stuff a bit odd, but considering the large amount of Wii owners who never owned a Gamecube, it makes some sense to try relreleasing titles with Wii controls. Pikmin 1 and 2 makes some sense with 3 coming out very soon (I figure it will be out this year). Metroid Prime 1 and 2 make some sense, considering Metroid Prime 3's control scheme is pretty sweet. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat was a peripheral game on GCN, and this version is trying to be a mix. Mario Power Tennis is used because there is no Mario Tennis game in development, and Wii Tennis is fairly popular. That leaves Chibi-Robo, which sold well but came out late in the last generation.

I personally think the games should have been cheaper, though. 25 dollars or 20 would be best, in my opinion. The biggest issue is that the games were the only ones really coming out in the past few months. Thankfully some larger third party games somewhat filled the gap (Sega's HOTD and MadWorld, THQ's Deadly Creatures, etc), but I understand the anger behind the lack of really new games for Nintendo (at least NOA).

Stuffgamer1

@Adam: If you wanted your audience to not understand what you said, you were talking to the wrong guy! I DO understand what you said, and to a point agree with it. But I also believe that there is some level of need to categorize gamers so that people interested in a certain type and/or frequency of gameplay may be informed of what will entertain THEM! If a label seems to be the easiest way to do it, then so be it. Until we find a better way, we're stuck with it.

I think that part of the problem here IS the fact that certain people from certain groups hold disdain for the other group. As long as people are buying quality games, whatever kind they may be, I'm all for that. I do want games that interest me to be released, of course, but my interests are fairly wide, so that's not usually a problem. For example: Clubhouse Games (the full version, thank you very much). Arguably a "casual" game by its very design as a social time-waster rather than a challenging and/or story-driven interactive experience, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. In the same way, I believe that "casual" gamers can, in fact, enjoy games that are widely considered "hardcore." I'd say the very fact that some percentage of Nintendo Channel votes for StarTropics consider the game suitable for "casual" gameplay proves that.

As I work in gaming retail, such distinctions only serve to prove themselves, however. The "casual" folk always buy games you'd expect them to based on the stereotype, as do the "hardcore" people. There are exceptions, of course, but they are few and far between, which is never more obvious than when you're standing on the other side of the register at Gamestop. As a result, successful aid to first-time Wii gamers can only work in one of two ways:

1.) I tell them to go with Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Super Sluggers, etc. (basically anything Nintendo with multiplayer, because that's what people are usually looking for).
2.) I try out a variety of games and keep an eye on reviews not just from "pros" (who are always themselves biased towards the "hardcore" mentality) but also from parents on Amazon, and recommend games that seem likely to work for a given customer's interests in general, be it licensed (though we tend to think they're crap, movie and cartoon games are actually considered fun by their target audience), based on a concept that interests them (cooking? Best go with Cooking Mama. Most other genres which "hardcore" gamers tend to ignore, I have less useful advice for and tend to go by company reputation, i.e. "go for Ubisoft's such-and-such game instead of this total nobody company's version").

That horridly long story short: There actually IS a necessary divide between gamers, and your idea of totally eliminating the system won't work. We can shorten the gap by being more understanding (don't put down games that don't appeal to you, but are actually quality experiences to some, unless, of course, they involve babysitting ) and giving them options to consider. Even if they aren't willing to try Pikmin or Metroid just yet, we might bring them to that point eventually so long as we don't look down on them meanwhile.

Obviously, VERY little of this was on-topic. But that will happen.

EDIT: Two new posts while I typed this massive post. I agree with Adam that CowLaunch's statement goes VERY well within the Coffee Break setting.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

eugenewrayburn

Here's the deal though - Iwata says they have not released many Wii games lately - that is not 'slacking', as some here are calling it. That is moronic. Some games have been delayed, some were not scheduled to release this spring. These are not mutualy exclusive ideas, is that really the best people here can do to 'validate' their falsehoood arguments?

So - when Orcarina of Time was delayed - was Nintendo 'slacking'? Or making the game better?

Look at the larger industry - some game compaines have been burned by meager sales of epic games, and they have folded. Many of the huge publishers are laying off employess and restructuring. Nintendo is expanding.

You here about all of the growth the industry has had - a huge chunck of that is going to one company, Nintendo. Nintendo is a great example of responsible growth, they grow larger every year, and yet maintain very strict quality standards. They do not milk franchise to death, like the one cow Rockstar has with GTA.... You are assuming a lot when you pretend NPC took time away from othe projects. It is just as likely NPC was done in part to give employess there something to DO.

And they picked good games, btw.

Pikmin is A+, DKJB is A+, Metroid Prime is A+, and I would give Pikmin 2 an A, and Prime 2 maybe a C, and Mario Tennis the same.....(higher if you are looking for multiplayer, I guess....) You can pretend that the GC games are 'the same' all you want, but that is simply not true. Wether you prefer the origionals or not is not the question here.....they did more than print these games on a different disc.

There are a lot of arrogant, self congratulatory post here, but so what? Just because you have a smart mouth on the internet - that isn't worth much.....

Hardcore, casual = marketing. The real divide is between arcade and narrative games.

Adam

@Stuffalupagus

Sorry, I don't buy it. Maybe I'd see things your way if I worked in retail, but I don't. I only have personal experiences from my own views and friends'. Obviously I'm an odd exception, but to use myself as an example: I own five games on disc or cartridge. Brawl (Wii), Buzz! (PS3), SingStar (PS3), Earthbound (SNES), and Contact (DS -- despite the fact that I sold my DS). Not exactly the picture of a hardcore or casual gamer, but something quite in between.

Of course, this is ignoring the nearly 100 games I have downloaded between Wii and PS3.

But everyone has his own story, which is more my point. I've already mentioned friends whose only systems are NES, SNES, and Wii. Or people who were Sega or Sony fans until Wii. Lots of people fall in between or completely off the supposed spectrum. Of course, there will be those who fit stereotypes, but only because they are forcibly fit into them. If they don't choose the stereotype for themselves, it is only a temporary definition whose meaning can change the next day.

I don't see the need for the "system." It is a new fad to use it (or at least to overuse it), and we lived about two decades without it. I don't use it, and I'm doing fine. Had to get a couple immunization shots the other day, but I'm not sick. If you like it for whatever reason, oh well. But the moment you reduce a range of individuality to a binary opposition, far too many other possibilities are excluded. Not only this, but the meaning of each extreme can fluctuate, in which case you're dealing with layers of meanings, perceived meanings, and mismeanings that are impossible to separate. What's worse is when people willingly identify with these caricatures of individual preference. (Shudders)

If you are going to categorize people, at the very least I wish people would use different words because these words have already gone well beyond their saturation limit for how many different definitions they should carry. Oh, and about the silly comment saying no one would understand anything I said, I was just referring to the last sentence or two copied from the Wikipedia article on deconstruction theory. I typed the first sentence myself though, so I hope it made sense.

And lastly, when you are over 250 posts into a thread, everything is on topic. Including this:

Untitled

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

Adam

eugenewrayburn wrote:

So - when Orcarina of Time was delayed - was Nintendo 'slacking'? Or making the game better?

Not a solid comparison. Many good games were released while OoT was delayed. Remember Star Fox 64? The one with that supposedly male frog? It was amazing for its time, so who cares if one game was delayed? That's not the case in this discussion though. Instead of new games we're getting old games with control schemes that not everyone even thinks are improvements.

eugenewrayburn wrote:

They do not milk franchise to death, like the one cow Rockstar has with GTA....

eugenewrayburn wrote:

There are a lot of arrogant, self congratulatory post here, but so what? Just because you have a smart mouth on the internet - that isn't worth much.....

Except that you're the only one taking this to heart... Calm down, friend. No one is trying to make you upset, yet you seem keen on doing precisely that. If you disagree with us and can't take some lighthearted conversation, perhaps this thread isn't good for you.

Everyone else here is having a good time joking back and forth, even if we disagree! Stuffy clearly disagrees and you don't see him throwing a tantrum and calling us "moronic," or calling this conversation "masturbation," etc.

This should be a friendly, fun, unemotional forum. Relax.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

SmaMan

An inference I've drawn from all this is maybe a lot of Nintendo's games are getting delayed right now, so they figured they'd release something instead of nothing. They probably were full aware that it would tick some people off, hence Iwata's response, but it would be much better than making everyone start wondering, "Where is all the 1st party support?!" or "Nintendo has abandoned us all!" and the like.

In short I think that these titles were released because games were being delayed, and these games were not being the ones doing the delaying.

3DS FC: 0688-5773-0158

Twitter:

Kizzi

I agree with that SmaMan. And if that's the case, atleast Nintendo is gracious enough to give us some good ones rather than letting just anyone put crap games on their system! (Hannah Montana Movie!) lol

City_Of_Delusion

Kizzi wrote:

I agree with that SmaMan. And if that's the case, atleast Nintendo is gracious enough to give us some good ones rather than letting just anyone put crap games on their system! (Ninjabread Man!) lol

Fix'd.

My position is simple: if people want to waste their money on GameCube remakes, I won't stop them. I'll just buy the original for about half the price.

Although I'm surprised Nintendo didn't just re-publish the originals, slapped a "Works on Wii! (GameCube controller and memory card required)" sticker on the boxes, resume selling GameCube controllers and Memory Cards, sold all of the above for about a quarter of the original RRP, and watch the money start rolling in, instead of wasting R&D time implementing Wii controls in some games.

Edited on by City_Of_Delusion

Please no "Destroy This!" gags, please.
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=codb

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.