Forums

Topic: Buy Any NPC Games? Stop It!

Posts 121 to 140 of 276

Corbs

Nintendo sent us Excitebots and New Play Control Pikmin to review, so we didn't have to pay for them. I'm still not sold on the NPC games anyway. I still have Pikmin and Pikmin 2 for the Gamecube and the NPC doesn't add enough for me to buy it all over again.

Plain old gamer :)

Twilight_Crow

I think I'm with AlexSays, I understand the NPC games are for people that never got to play those titles or for those who want to try them with the new control scheme, and blah blah blah; but I'd really prefer to get a totally new Mario Tennis for wii, instead of a remake with forced wii controls of Mario Power Tennis, actually I like the way the game plays in the GameCube and I have no intention of buying it again, what can I say I love pushing buttons, same goes for the rest, I want a new Pikmin, a new Chibi-robo, etc. NEW games for the NEW wii controls, that's how it should be.

The wierdest of all NPC is DK Jungle Beat, I may have get it wrong, but for what I saw in a Nintendo Channel video, the thing change its control to a more classical way!! No more hiting the bongos just move the control stick and push a button to jump, what the heck?

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor, Shall be lifted nevermore!"

"I'll just have to STOP. TIME!" - Twilight Sparkle

Nintendo Network ID: Twilight_Crow

SmaMan

The bongo style was the main reason I didn't get DK:JB. It sounds a bit better with these new controls. Reminds me of a homebrew application someone made where they let you use the bongos for Punch Out. It was called Mike Tyson's Jungle Beat! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRwgt2i5cV4

By the way, if you're still interested Corbie, I'll be on at 2-4. There's a lot more people from Texas here than I thought!

3DS FC: 0688-5773-0158

Twitter:

eugenewrayburn

As for the topic title :

It is funny when certain people try to 'organise' a (very small) group of people to not buy something, or an online petetion, etc.

I am conservative, I believe people can and will decide what they would want to buy and play for their own personal use. Anyway, out of all these games, I have none, but may purchase Jungle Beat. I am somewhat tempted to buy Metroid Prime 1 as well, I think it is a far better game than Prime 3, which focused on a clisched and forced 'narrative' to move the game....

On the other hand, for whatever reason Prime One is always one of the lowest priced GC games online or at gamestores, you can find it for $7 no problem...so it depends on wether the control is enough for you.

ALso the argument on the first page about the volume of game Nintendo is putting out - well, duh, they loaded the first year of Wii release with many projects, some of which were taken at the expense of the GC which was going nowhere. So that was shrewd of Nintendo to do that, and if they cannot release a AAA title every month or week, or day, - whatever you arbitrarily feel is 'adequate'- at least the games they do release are high quality and worth buying. And to many people that includes New Play Control, some who have played the games, some who have not....

Nintendo has such a high repuation they no longer even release Players Choice Discounted Games to boost sales. (Which is bad for gamers, of course, but the market has decided that) Look how many sales they have gotten out of game like Wii Play, Wii FIt, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs, Smash Brothers, etc, etc, without a drop at retail. The bestselling franchise of last gen, GTA on PS2, cannot say the same thing....

Hardcore, casual = marketing. The real divide is between arcade and narrative games.

hobbes

Meh... I bought NPC Pikmin and plan to get Pikmin 2 when it is rereleased as well as Metroid Prime 1 and 2. From what I have seen, the GCN Pikmin 2 disc used is selling for more than the NPC wii disc will when it is released, and while I know I could find both the Metroids for less than on NPC game, I would much rather have the wii controls. I find the point aiming scheme better than the dual analog scheme.

http://www.backloggery.com/hobbes543

nintendan

i bought NPC Pikmin the other day for 10$. well worth it considering the GC version goes for much more on ebay.

nintendan

RJay

Even if the NPC games do control better, I think too that Nintendo will be discouraged from trying to make original titles if they can just cash in on the past.

Why should Nintendo hire a full development team to create a new Zelda, when they can remake Wind Waker or something with Wii controls and have it sell millions????

It's not that they don't have the resources to make new games while remaking old ones...

It's that they have no reason to make new games, if remaking old ones and cashing in is more profitable.

Water Warfare 3481-0499-8502
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2535-5527-9255

Adam

nintendan wrote:

i bought NPC Pikmin the other day for 10$. well worth it considering the GC version goes for much more on ebay.

$10?! How did you come across that, was it used?

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AlexSays

Corbie would try to take my thread off-topic...

RJay wrote:

Hey AlexSays, you're on Gamespot too right??? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but many months ago last October I think, I remember arguing with someone on the Wii forums that these NPC games are a bad idea, and I remember his name was AlexSays, and the AlexSays on that forum thought it was a good idea at the time. Are you the same person?

Yes I am and you remember the exact stance of a random user from a debate six months ago? At least a bring a link, chief.

Anyway if you read the original post, you'd see the main point has been there were no new games for about six months, starting in November.

I might have said "eh just don't buy them no big deal" but how could I have known in October that Nintendo would release their last new game for several months in November?
Sure I'm easily one of the brightest around but I've never stamped "psychic" on my resume. lol

You'll still have to provide a link to this little discussion we had.

AlexSays

Philip_J_Reed

RJay wrote:

Why should Nintendo hire a full development team to create a new Zelda, when they can remake Wind Waker or something with Wii controls and have it sell millions???? It's that they have no reason to make new games, if remaking old ones and cashing in is more profitable.

Yes, I do think a remade Wind Waker (or any Zelda or Mario title) would sell well. No, I do not believe this will ever discourage Nintendo from creating new entries in the series. If Nintendo (or any company) turned its attention entirely toward its past, it would be doomed to fail, and Nintendo--for all its mistakes--knows better than that. You can remake games from 5 or 10 years ago if you really want to, but if that's all you do, where will you be 5 or 10 years from now? You'll have nothing left to re-release.

AlexSays has a good point at the root of his argument: if you want a company to stop doing something, you stop paying them to do it. Capitalism couldn't get any simpler than that.

But I don't think anyone is making the claim you are arguing against. Nobody in their right mind would say that NPC releases are preventing Nintendo from developing a new Zelda or Mario game.

They MAY be preventing Nintendo from developing a game from a lesser-known series, or from devoting their time to a brand new first-party title of a new series. I do believe that that's possible. At the very least, they are spreading their resources around, which could otherwise be concentrated on original product.

But I don't think we're in danger of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link NPC taking precedence over whatever the heck comes next in the series. These releases are in addition to other new releases, not in place of them.

Could we expect MORE new releases if we didn't have these NPCs coming out? Maybe. It's possible. But it sure as heck isn't going to stop new installments of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, Mario Kart, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Adam

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link NPC would be awesome. No matter that it makes no sense, but the game ruled and is overdue for a revisiting, whether in an update or a spiritual sequel.

Also, I don't think anyone believes NPC is stopping the development of other games; it is simply allowing them to slow their release schedule moreso than we're used to expecting from Nintendo. I don't think it is the end of the world, but I do think we'd be better off without these titles. If it weren't for these games, Nintendo would have had relatively empty shelves for the past few months before Excite Bots, and you know that wouldn't have sat well with them.

But like they say: Oh well.

Come on, friends,

Philip_J_Reed

__adam wrote:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link NPC would be awesome.

I admit that the moment I typed that, I wanted it.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

Adam

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

__adam wrote:

When you get the whistle, that very helpful item that a whole two uses in the whole game, there could be a Wii Music mini-game where you play the Wii remote like a flute!

Dang, what have I done? Now I don't want it.

Come on, friends,

Objection

Corbie wrote:

I'm just goofing around. But you'd better be nice considering I just got your app for the news postition. I'd hate to accidentally lose it. You know how easily these things slip through the cracks or get mistakenly deleted.

WHaaa-?! Was that being mean?! Oh dear!!
Its cool that Nintendo sends you review copies. Is this a recent thing or have they recognized the site for a while?

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

Corbs

LOL I was kidding. You weren't being mean. It's actually Nintendo's PR firm that sends the review copies.

Edited on by Corbs

Plain old gamer :)

AlexSays

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Does being conservative mean telling other people what they should and should not buy? I know exactly what the word means.

You know exactly what the word means?
Awesome, you should use it correctly any time now.

Here's what you said:

eugenewrayburn wrote:

I believe people can and will decide what they would want to buy and play for their own personal use.

People doing what they want for their own personal needs without worrying about any repercussions is a very liberal idea.

Hey I can even make this easy.
You're on the whole "people should buy what they want" and liberals are on the whole "people should marry who they want"

I mean yeah it's cool when we call ourselves big words but if you're going to say you're conservative, at least specify why. lol

eugenewrayburn wrote:

Nintendo has no plans for the Wii beyond New Play Control? Lol. I guess it will become a platform for 3rd paeties, if that is the case....

Nobody has said that but if that's what you read, then that's great too.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

SmaMan

__adam wrote:

Chicken+Brutus wrote:

__adam wrote:

When you get the whistle, that very helpful item that a whole two uses in the whole game, there could be a Wii Music mini-game where you play the Wii remote like a flute!

Dang, what have I done? Now I don't want it.

That actually reminds me of yet another homebrew app where they implemented the Twilight Princess controls into Link's Awakening and other portable Zelda titles. I think it needs a little tweaking, but they're definitely on to something. NPC Virtual console games would be fun if you could buy them with the title and be able to toggle them on/off.

EDIT: Actually, now that I remember, the GBA version of Zelda II is one of the games supported!

Edited on by SmaMan

3DS FC: 0688-5773-0158

Twitter:

eugenewrayburn

The conservative principals are this :

1. People have and enjoy personal responsibilty, they do not need media outlets or self appointed 'gamer activists' to decide which game to buy for them. Also, my sub point was, considering these games obvioulsy target hardcore fans (who will almost certainly buy them) and people who missed them on the GC (who are very likely not on this site...!) - who are you even trying to.motivate?

2. The other conservative principal is to let the market decide - not try to decide for the market -

And a poster DID comment on Nintendo's ' future motivation' - you must of missed it ....

No hard feelings, but why misconstrue my statements?

'Topic: Buy Any NPC Games? Stop It!' - that was your topic title, I am just responding to it in this forum.

Hardcore, casual = marketing. The real divide is between arcade and narrative games.

AlexSays

eugenewrayburn wrote:

The conservative principals are this :

1. People have and enjoy personal responsibilty, they do not need media outlets or self appointed 'gamer activists' to decide which game to buy for them. Also, my sub point was, considering these games obviously target hardcore fans (who will almost certainly buy them) and people who missed them on the GC (who are very likely not on this site...!) - who are you even trying to.motivate?

2. The other conservative principal is to let the market decide - not try to decide for the market -

And a poster DID comment on Nintendo's ' future motivation' - you must of missed it ....

No hard feelings, but why misconstrue my statements?

'Topic: Buy Any NPC Games? Stop It!' - that was your topic title, I am just responding to it in this forum.

Your "conservative principles" don't even apply here.

Honey, the market has already decided, and they've decided remakes are good.
There are just several of us saying "hey don't support this".

As for "gamer activists" yeah I'm great and all but I don't need fancy titles or anything.
I've handed out the facts as to why people shouldn't buy these games. If that's all it takes to be an "activist" to you, then we share even more disagreements when it comes to common definitions.

Oh and these games don't target hardcore gamers... at all.
These are clearly targeted towards people who have never heard of these franchises.
Unless you're saying "yeah NPC is all about giving hardcore gamers games they've already played" then wow that's even worse than what I say about Nintendo. lol
I mean what more could a hardcore Metroid fan want, a new Metroid game or Metroid Prime 1... again?

So yeah I really don't see where the "oh i'm conservative" does anything when your "conservative principles" are in no way relevant.
I mean I could say "hey my mom bakes the best apple pies" but I'm not sure how that'd impact this discussion.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

RJay

AlexSays wrote:

Corbie would try to take my thread off-topic...

RJay wrote:

Hey AlexSays, you're on Gamespot too right??? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but many months ago last October I think, I remember arguing with someone on the Wii forums that these NPC games are a bad idea, and I remember his name was AlexSays, and the AlexSays on that forum thought it was a good idea at the time. Are you the same person?

Yes I am and you remember the exact stance of a random user from a debate six months ago? At least a bring a link, chief.

Anyway if you read the original post, you'd see the main point has been there were no new games for about six months, starting in November.

I might have said "eh just don't buy them no big deal" but how could I have known in October that Nintendo would release their last new game for several months in November?
Sure I'm easily one of the brightest around but I've never stamped "psychic" on my resume. lol

You'll still have to provide a link to this little discussion we had.

Well this was one of the threads where you sounded positive about it. I hope it's not against the rules to post this link.....I'm new here I don't know the rules!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=2...

I honestly thought there was more, and there probably was, I just don't feel like looking for it anymore. I'm not Jasonguy, but I remember you used to debate against him, because he thought those Wiimakes were a bad idea. My name was the_winner1234 and I actually didn't post as much as I thought, but I could have sworn arguing against you at some point. can't find it though. I just remember you sounded positive about it at the time, but like you said, you couldn't predict the future.

Water Warfare 3481-0499-8502
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2535-5527-9255

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.