Forums

Topic: Being outside the Wii's percieved "target demographic"

Posts 21 to 28 of 28

TanookiMike

I've got a story about Gamestop, when I asked for a certain screen for my portable mod on a NES Chinese pirate, they told me what I was doing was illegal and to get out!

TanookiMike

LzWinky

How'd you get a Chinese pirate?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ItsFuzzyPickles

I never had unecessary help from Gamestop, if I want something and they have it, I buy it and end of story. My Gamestop is smart.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

SpentAllMyTokens

I generally have no issues. I just ask for the game I want, purchase it, and go home.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Stuffgamer1

@the shpydar: Oh, sorry, I overestimated your age. Matter of fact, my store manager is older than you (though not by much). I don't think you're old enough to deserve that kind of assumption be made, unless maybe you're prematurely gray or bald (just trying to work out possible reasons here). I'd have to say that barring those being true, you really are just running into idiot employees. It happens, unfortunately. To be honest, I try to avoid making assumptions about a person's gaming knowledge, but some people can't be bothered to spend the time to talk to you and figure out what to recommend that actually fits YOU, and not their moronic preconception of you. It's something my manager is VERY good at (years of retail experience, after all), and he's teaching his staff quite well.

Overall, though, the best Gamestop employees for customer service are the ones who spend the vast majority of their spare time playing/reading up on games. We know the material, and can talk to you about it as needed. Unfortunately, Gamestop would rather have born salespeople who know next to nothing about gaming working for them than serious gamers who have trouble selling extra things the customer may or may not want, like me. It's very difficult, though admittedly not impossible, to be good at both. To give great customer service AND get great numbers. I'm making progress since the management change a few months ago, but it's not easy.

Anyway, there's a ramble and a half for you. Maybe some of it was useful, I dunno.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

brandonbwii

Actually when I buy those sorts of games at GameStop, I typically dismissed. With some exceptions you can practically see the eyes roll to the back of their head while they continue to discuss "hardcore" games with huge grins with fellow employees and customers.

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

the_shpydar

@Stuffgamer:
Well, i am bald -- i shave my head -- but i don't think that's it. =)
It is true the general nature of Gamestop employee-hiring, but that's to be expected. Back in the earlier GameStop days (and the EB days, FuncoLand days, etc), gaming was still more "fringe" than it is now. With gaming becoming a much larger media presence (and with movie/TV/entertainment media studios seeing the huge amoiunts of $ spent on games), it's a necessary evil that the "corporatization" is going to go on. It's the traditional caveat for anytime something on the "fringe" or that's a part of the counterculture becomes popular or mainstream.

But i'll stop there lest i sink into a rambling diatribe about the nature of the American consumer and the US marketplace in general.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Stuffgamer1

But rambling on about that stuff is such fun!

I do believe that a shaved head is discernible from natural baldness, so I agree that can't be it. Just people being stupid, like we said.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.