Wii Forum

Topic: Attn Wii Music Fans!

Showing 401 to 420 of 694

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

401. Posted:

I think the drum set would have sounded much better if I'd rerecorded it instead of just letting my first decent take stick, or maybe if I'd slowed it down to record that part more carefully; but yeah, that's the part I should probably rethink, because otherwise I feel like I was on to something with that arrangement. Maybe I'll get around to trying a different drum set on it sometime soon; my problem is that, once I come through to the end of an arrangement and have all the parts, it's hard to convince myself to go in and fix things, so I feel like the finished product is always close to what I wanted... but not quite there.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage

Adam

402. Posted:

Yea, I have the same feeling. I'd rather just move on to the next new thing when I have something decent done. It was a very enjoyable listen nonetheless.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

403. Posted:

Okay, I "finished" my experiment. Basically it's more than off the time signature...it's off even the phantom time signature I tried to set for it. But there are boring reasons for that.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it up through the second "chorus." After that it sort of trails into sloppy bass mopery and a hurried ending. I'll go back and re-record some of it if I can think of a better way to pinch it off at the end...but 3/4 of the song is pretty much exactly what I was going for, so I'll be curious to know what you all think. Whew.

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat

AuthorMessage

Adam

404. Posted:

I think it's horrendous, an offense to humanity.

But I may change my opinion once I've heard it.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

405. Posted:

Did you send it, Chicken? I don't seem to have it.

Adam: I sent back a version with a different drum, which gives the whole thing a more regal and subdued feel, if you ask me. I sort of like both versions, though. I also sent the new version to a couple others here, so you guys can pick which one I should delete -- I hate keeping two versions of one of my songs.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

406. Posted:

Um...I DID send it, but I'll try again if you don't have it by tomorrow sometime. It's possible that I disconnected my Wii before it actually decided to mail it out.

AuthorMessage

Adam

407. Posted:

I definitely prefer the new one. I think the song benefits greatly from the openness of this drum in lieu of the rock set.

If you sent it to me, I didn't get it either, Chicken. (Hence my silly reply.)

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

408. Posted:

Alright...I guess it didn't go through then. I'll hook up the Wii shortly and try it again.

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

409. Posted:

I got it this time -- twice, in fact, so maybe that other one was out there but hadn't shown up for me yet. Nice work! I've always found SMB to be one of the hardest songs in the set to bend past the original, for I can always hear the Mario undercurrent no matter how much I obfuscate; but here, it would seem that your rhythmic alteration made a real change in its feel possible. I like the bits with the galactic guitar. As usual, the whole vibe of it is unmistakably yours; we each have our styles it would seem.

A had a similar problem with Chariots of Fire, always hearing that damn overbearing chord progression underneath anything, so the one Adam and I were talking about was actually made possible by just shifting everything half a measure, which made the chord progression an entirely different beast, and enabled the powerful middle section to ring out over some dissonance. I didn't load yours into the editor yet to see what sort of rhythmic changes you made, but it sounds like they were more fundamental than that.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

410. Posted:

I've been out of town all weekend so I have no idea what you guys are talking about. You'll have to send me this stuff if you haven't already. Should be getting back into it tomorrow though--I'm going to try to do a "Videotape" inspired song (Wario will know what I'm talking about) with a piano chord and an increasingly complicated drum beat.

And Adam, I need your code. I'll try to put my code in my Sig. If you do the same it will be easier for all who haven't registered you yet.

Oh and Chicken, have you listened to any of the stuff I sent you? Just wondering what you thought.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

AuthorMessage

Adam

411. Posted:

8132-6694-3602-2375. What's yours? I can't remember if I added you or not already. Now that I own the game, I guess I ought to put it in my signature, actually.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

412. Posted:

@Kid_A

I'll certainly be interested in hearing your Videotape attempt. Which version of that song do you prefer? They played it differently during their live tour when I saw them, prior to the album's release, and I was a bit disappointed with the album cut. The little soft drum rolls aren't as dynamic as the drums they did live (here, for example), particularly at the end of the song, which has a feeling of a complete shift in rhythm in the live version.

I sent you two versions of the video I was talking to Adam about, which only differ in their percussion. Sounds like I'm going to get rid of the first and consider the second my completed cut.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

413. Posted:

Hang on. I'm catching up on all the Late Night with Conan O'Brien's that I missed when I was gone. I'll have it in my sig before I go to bed hopefully :)

AuthorMessage

warioswoods

414. Posted:

Not sure if you saw this news item, but you could catch up on Conan on your Wii, if you install Playon and use it to access Hulu.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

415. Posted:

warioswoods wrote:

@Kid_A

I'll certainly be interested in hearing your Videotape attempt. Which version of that song do you prefer? They played it differently during their live tour when I saw them, prior to the album's release, and I was a bit disappointed with the album cut. The little soft drum rolls aren't as dynamic as the drums they did live (here, for example), particularly at the end of the song, which has a feeling of a complete shift in rhythm in the live version.

I sent you two versions of the video I was talking to Adam about, which only differ in their percussion. Sounds like I'm going to get rid of the first and consider the second my completed cut.

At first I was with you on preferring the 2006 version which your talking about. However, after listening to the album version a bunch, and seeing them play it live last year on the In Rainbows tour I now vastly preferr the album version. I'm going for something similar to the album version on my next Wii Music track (I'm interested in trying to do something similar to the percussion. You know the drum roll sounding bit?).

Here's a REALLY good live verison of Videotape (the best version of the song IMO)--this is what I'm going for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlHHMPT-XmY

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

416. Posted:

You know that video link I posted up there? Well I command all of you to listen to it. Tell me that's not the most insanely beautiful song you've ever heard.

AuthorMessage

Adam

417. Posted:

Definitely not the most insanely beautiful song I've ever heard, haha, but I very much liked it nonetheless! If pressed for a quick answer, I'd nominate Sigur Ros's Staralfur for most insanely beautiful song, but I might choose better if I thought about it longer.

I've always liked Radiohead, but the only CD I ever got was the one with There, There, and I got tired of that album pretty quickly, so I never got any of the others. Every time I hear one of their songs on Youtube or wherever, I get the impression I just picked the wrong CD.

Come on, friends,

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

418. Posted:

I'd go with In Rainbows or OK Computer or The Bends if you're looking to get into Radiohead.
I tried experimenting with that Videotape idea, but I just wasn't feeling it tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.

Anyway, my Wii Number is 7234-3284-7284-1045
I'll register you now.

AuthorMessage

Kid_A

419. Posted:

Just watched Wario and Chicken's latest stuff. I don't know how you come up with that brilliant stuff, guys. Seriously. How do you get it to sound so...musical? Whenever I try to create my own tempo and play a totally different song, I can never get it to sound coherant. What's the secret?

AuthorMessage

Philip_J_Reed

420. Posted:

Thanks guys! I do intend to give it a better run-through at some point, but I don't know if I can. I tried to re-record the bass (as it got sloppy toward the end) but I couldn't get the same notes out of it the next time through. I guess I just got lucky that when I was swinging the Wiimote, it happened to trigger the exact notes I wanted, even if I was slightly off-beat.

But maybe I'll try again. It was a fun experiment. I really like the opening section, leading up to the first chorus.

Regarding Kid_A's question: yeah, it's pretty tough to get it to sound coherent, and sometimes, try as I might, I can't. But if you experiment long enough, you'll stumble on to a happy accident, and you can always build off of that. All of my favorite tracks I've made were happy accidents that blossomed into something much better than I could have planned. But it's very discouraging when you try five or six experiments in a row, and the only accidents you get are unhappy ones. Which is basically where I am right now...