Forums

Topic: Are Sony and Microsoft's Sales Going to Blow Nintendo Away This Xmas?

Posts 141 to 160 of 160

CanisWolfred

Token Girl wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

$100 vs. $130 suddenly equals expensive. What the hell do you call Rock Band then?

Targeted at people with more money than brains. It's fun...but still, who could justify spending that much on one game?

I couldn't, though I think the idea is to get friends to pitch in and you all play it together. It's not as fun by yourself. I'd rather get Rock Band on the PSP, though.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Oregano

Move was released earlier than Kinect though so it might not be seller better. Plus there's the whole deal of you only have one Kinect per console for multiplayer but you have multiple Moves per consoles and if you look at the only sales stats we have it looks like Kinect software has done much better.

EDIT: Which is why shipments can be misleading even if Sony makes money off that hardware, they can't make money off software for Moves stuck in shops.Although it's not clear if MS is reporting shipped or sold to consumers on it...(unless I missed something painfully obvious).

Edited on by Oregano

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

theblackdragon

WaltzElf wrote:

That is a sale, from Sony's perspective.

not from mine... i think i'd rather see numbers showing how many Moves are actually in the hands of consumers now as opposed to sitting on store shelves. :/

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

Tbd - why does that matter? Unless you're looking at a retailer's bottom line, of course.

The retail business model is one where they try and keep inventory as low as possible. The fact 4.1 million Moves have been shipped suggests that retailers have been ordering plenty of units, which means those units are also being sold on.

Edited on by Bankai

Oregano

WaltzElf wrote:

Tbd - why does that matter?

The retail business model is one where they try and keep inventory as low as possible. The fact 4.1 million Moves have been shipped suggests that retailers have been ordering plenty of units, which means those units are also being sold on.

It could also mean that retailers have stocked for the holidays in which case Move won't get restocked till after the holidays and won't actually sell 4.1 million until after the holidays. To give an example the initial shipment of the PSP Go in Japan was 150K but the PSP Go hasn't sold 150K in Japan yet(or has only just passed the threshold).

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

Aviator

theblackdragon wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

not from mine... i think i'd rather see numbers showing how many Moves are actually in the hands of consumers now as opposed to sitting on store shelves. :/

I agree with Des, if Sony want to really make the move good, they need to be able to know what their audience is. If the move shipped 4.1 million, but only sold half of that, Sony doesn't know what to market for, and it will dwindle down losing support, like Wii Speak and the Balance Board.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

NGpenguin

No, no , and NO.

3DS friend code: 1590-4685-4846

irken004

Aviator wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

I agree with Des, if Sony want to really make the move good, they need to be able to know what their audience is. If the move shipped 4.1 million, but only sold half of that, Sony doesn't know what to market for, and it will dwindle down losing support, like Wii Speak and the Balance Board.

Agreed. Let me know how Sony's sales are once they have the money in hand.

theblackdragon

@Waltz: because it's somewhat misleading IMO. say a retailer is shipped extra Moves because they sold well in their area during Black Friday, but those extra units don't sell because the market is saturated and the locals already have their units and are pleased with them whatev', Sony still calls those units sold even though they're not in consumers' hands. i'd still like to see actual numbers of Moves actually sold to consumers rather than just shipped to retailers in anticipation of further sales (which may or may not happen until months down the line, y'know).

that said, why does what i think about it matter? i'm just curious is all; i'm surprised you're not curious about the growing Move userbase also.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

It's just that I don't think the numbers will be that different. Certainly, no retailer would stock twice as many of any product than it sold, and these guys are pretty smart with inventory - so while there will be some excess Moves that sit in a warehouse for a while and then are ultimately returned to Sony from the retailer, I wouldn't put that number even close to a million.

I suspect worse case scenario would be 250,000 unsold Moves at this stage. Which means over 3.5 million are still sold, or will be sold from the current shipment.

Edited on by Bankai

LordJumpMad

Why should we care about Sell?

I don't work at Nintendo to worry about that.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Oregano

But there's nothing saying that it couldn't be 1 million Moves in the warehouse, it's unlikely there is, but there's just no way of knowing and that's why it's unreliable.As I mentioned earlier as well it depends what period they're stocking for, shipping 4.1 million until the end of this week is a lot better than shipping 4.1 million until the end of the holidays. Sold to consumers isn't foolproof but it's a lot more concrete.

Edited on by Oregano

Rob_mc_1

The move Numbers are misleading because people will buy multipul move controllers. Counting wii motes is also relevant too because it will tell you ruffly how many controllers the average person buys and the numbers were released a month ago for north america.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1130320p1.html

65.3 Million Wii Remote Controllers have been sold in north america with approx 35 million wiis which is about 1.9 controllers per person.

If the move did sell 4 million unit then that would mean that the move install base is closer to 2 million and that means that Kinect has a larger install base in a 3rd of the time. who are companies going to develope for.

Kinect which shows excellent growth or the ps3 or finally the already massive install base of the wii. also as a publisher if I do make a PS3 game I am looking at a us market of 16 million console do I want to limit my possible market to under an 8th of a slow growing market.

♠♦♣

hulklol123456789

Rob_mc_1 wrote:

Also as a publisher if I do make a PS3 game I am looking at a us market of 16 million console do I want to limit my possible market to under an 8th of a slow growing market.

No, you don't want to. Thats why Nintendo is doing a great job with The Wii remote plus, releasing bundles & secially skyward sword next year, will make person who don't got the control (like me), to buy it and so be able to play the game.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

HecateCrown

With Epic Mickey, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colours, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and people who have yet to play all of the various older titles and recent hit, such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New Super Mario Bros., and Upcoming games such as Skyward Sword?

I don't think so, and I would certainly hope not, it's a great time to buy a Wii. Admittedly, it was more of a bargain before, when it was the cheapest of the generation by a long mile. But it's still a heyday of some of the best games being released half a year ago, just now being released, and releases to anticipate in the future.

I think it's pretty sad if this weren't enough to make people who haven't already bought one, to take the plunge and get one. And it's even more sad, if there wouldn't be any heavy sales for Wii games this Yule. As again, there will be Epic Mickey, one of the first truly impressive Disney games since the Magical Quest series by Capcom and Kingdom Hearts, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colours, one of the possibly first truly great Sonic franchise video games in years, the Return of the Donkey Kong Country franchise, which spawned Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, possibly one of the greatest platformers of all time, and, upcoming the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which is a brand new Zelda game, and not a port of a Gamecube one, AND Dragon Quest X. I am expecting no less, than well, an Epic Christmas.

HecateCrown

y2josh

@HecateCrown: Dragon Quest 10 isn't coming out anytime soon, so it's not going to help this Christmas be any epic'er. The people that know Dragon Quest 10 is even being made already have a Wii, more than likely.

y2josh

HecateCrown

Yeah, but it's something to look forward to just like Skyward Sword. I don't suspect it become Vaporware or anything.
So it makes the Nintendo Wii a good investment if one is a Dragon Quest fan and they don't own a Wii.

You have a point there, though, I suppose I wasn't thinking.

HecateCrown

y2josh

I know what it's like to be excited over it though Hecate, I am too Welcome to NintendoLife

y2josh

LordJumpMad

WaltzElf wrote:

I dunno if that question was rhetorical or actually addressed to us, but 1) business is interesting 2) it's my job, and 3) sales figures affect the games that you play.

So I'd say it was pretty useful information to know.

You draw a good point.
I also like talking about Business (its what I'm Majoring in) but, people sometimes take to far, sometimes as an insult to The Game or Company it is about.

Seeing how Sony and Microsoft bring there "New way of gaming" just in time for Christmas, There sells are going to be great, and hopefully they will make more games for there "Move" or "Kinect" seeing how they just got started.

But, Since Nintendo had one of there Best year of Gaming, with all these New titles for all there Characters, and hearing how Super Mario bros. Wii sold about a million copies, it no doubt there going to do well this Christmas, if not better.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.