Forums

Topic: Are Sony and Microsoft's Sales Going to Blow Nintendo Away This Xmas?

Posts 121 to 140 of 160

SuperMarioFan96

hulklol123456789 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

But how much did Microsoft and Sony sell?

Not as much, of course.
http://www.1up.com/news/sony-sells-440k-ps3s-black
http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/07/11/30/microsoft-sells-310000-xbox-360s-during-black-friday-week

That first story is from 2009 and the second one is from 2010. Not a great measure of sales.

But regardless, it's highly unlikely that Sony or Microsoft will sell more. The Wii sold less last year and was still crushing them.

EDIT: And I still believe the Wii will beat out Microsoft and Sony this Christmas. Maybe it won't be "crushing" the way it used to, but it will still be winning. We go through this every year.
Early-mid Fall
"OH NOEZ THE WII IZ DOOMED!"
After black Friday
"Hmmm those are some nice sales but the Wii won't do as well."
After Christmas
"It sold WHAT!??!?!?!"

Edited on by SuperMarioFan96

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Oregano

Ahh right, didn't see the PR. Major Nelson said 2.5 million but it wouldn't be the first time he's been corrected.... not even the first time this quarter.

I think you're underestimating the Wii's software line-up as well. Doesn't have the big hitters of Halo or GT but Poképark only just came out in the US and there's Goldeneye, Sonic and Wii Party as well which will probably do well over the holiday season,,, and even the Mario Collection could do gangbusters. DKCR could be big as well, the original did 8 million or so.

Please sign the petition to get Nintendo to integrate Social Features directly in the Switch OS/Hardware:
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-integrated-network-features-on-nintendo-switch-voice-chat-lobby

Rob_mc_1

With 2.5 million so far its doing better then I expected. I still don't see Kinect and Move doing as well in the long run because most mid life cycle hardware has a hard time catching on. It still come down to a company producing games for 10% of a console install base and I still can't see that happening.

I know I had considered getting the kinect but I do not have enough space in my living room and I think that there are a lot of people who don't.

The move numbers is hard to determine. you can't count controllers as people can buy more then one. you cannot count cameras as they were sold separately before the move and there is no single game that every move owner has like wii sports or kinect adventure.

♠♦♣

Bankai

I think for both Move and Kinect, the vendors themselves will be happy with a break-even cycle over all.

The way I read it is both Sony and Microsoft are using the add-ons to develop a practice that will be standard in the next generation of consoles. I see both as part of a longer-term strategy for both companies.

Rob_mc_1

The add-on longer-term strategy may have been suggested but I think it will only pan out if this attempt is successful. Since it is not realized I'm passing it off as more of a goal for now.

♠♦♣

Bankai

Rob_mc_1 wrote:

The add-on longer-term strategy may have been suggested but I think it will only pan out if this attempt is successful. Since it is not realized I'm passing it off as more of a goal for now.

I'd say 3 million Kinects in the launch months is enough for Microsoft for a product that is probably performing better than it probably should.

Rob_mc_1

WaltzElf wrote:

Rob_mc_1 wrote:

I'd say 3 million Kinects in the launch months is enough for Microsoft for a product that is probably performing better than it probably should.

I agree, it is preforming better then I expected. But I think moving the hardware might be easier short term because if a person buys it and finds out that they don't have ideal playing environment afterward then that leads to negative word of mouth.

♠♦♣

hulklol123456789

WaltzElf wrote:

Looks like the Move is actually selling better than the Kinect:

Sony sells 4.1 million Move systems http://r.reuters.com/bus77q

But move is cheaper, move is just, I mean, a control... How much wii remotes has nintendo sold?

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

CanisWolfred

WaltzElf wrote:

You can't make that comparison. How much longer has the Wii been around?

4.1 million units is an impressive start.

Definitely. If they've already sold this much, I wouldn't be surprised if they did in fact blow the Wii out of the water per se this holiday season.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

hulklol123456789

WaltzElf wrote:

You can't make that comparison. How much longer has the Wii been around?

4.1 million units is an impressive start.

You right, but you can't also compare Move to kintetic. Kinetic is expensive, also you don't need 2 Kinetics, just one, for every Xbox 360. Move is cheaper, and people can buy 4 Moves per PS3.

Man's worst enemy is laziness.

SpentAllMyTokens

It's really difficult to compare, since you're dealing with consoles + new accessories on one side and just consoles on the other. The way things are going, I'm sure everyone will be really happy this Xmas.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

SpentAllMyTokens

Mickeymac wrote:

$100 vs. $130 suddenly equals expensive. What the hell do you call Rock Band then?

Targeted at people with more money than brains. It's fun...but still, who could justify spending that much on one game?

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.