Forums

Topic: Anyone Else Having Trouble Doing Horizonatal Slices In Skyward Sword?

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Scissors

I am exactly 26 hours and 12 minutes into the game, and I am still having trouble doing horizontal slices, half the time they get translated as diagonal slices. Everything else works with only minor hitches, but this is becoming really frustrating against those enemies that require horizontal slices. Anyone else have the same issue, and came up with a solution. I've recalibrated several times, and have changed the batteries and still have this problem.

At first I thought it was just me that sucked, but then I came across this youtube video that it was made and that 88 people liked it made me think that maybe some other Nintendo Life users have come across the same issue, and that it may be a design fault or we're doing something wrong. Like I said everything else works mostly fine, and I like the controls, but half the time my horizontal slices get detected as diagonal.

Edited on by Scissors

SkywardLink98

A tiny bit of trouble, but it can help to do larger swings. When you need to string together moves do those tiny swings, but when you need precision try doing larger strikes, or go ahead and do a spin, those count as horizontal strikes.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

JustAnotherUser

You have to swing it like it's an actual sword.
If that doesnt work Calibrate and re-centre it.

You should probably put a warning on that video you found.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

MasterGraveheart

I don't. Control has been seamless for me. Then again, I have actual, honest training in swordsmanship, so precision was pretty important to me anyway.

I chalk this up to people just being lazy and not respecting the control interface. And remember, you need to be sitting a certain distance away from the TV. The Wii was made for the family room. Not the bedroom.

Edited on by MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart

3DS Friend Code: 0903-2738-1632 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterGraveheart | Twitter:

Ryno

MasterGraveheart wrote:

The Wii was made for the family room. Not the bedroom.

I don't care where, I will plug my Wii in, in any room.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

theblackdragon

I used to have this problem with Okami all the time, horizontal slices were the bane of my existence for quite a while. I found that when I moved farther away from the sensor bar, though, they registered just fine. try moving back a couple feet and see if it helps?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

ImDiggerDan

I found that motion controls were very imprecise when using low voltage rechargeable batteries. When I plugged in a decent set of no rechargers, things were very very different.

Director of Four Horses. Developer of Digger Dan games.
On sale on the Nintendo 3DS eShop from 19th May 2016.
www.fourhorses.co.uk

Twitter:

LordTendoboy

ImDiggerDan wrote:

I found that motion controls were very imprecise when using low voltage rechargeable batteries. When I plugged in a decent set of no rechargers, things were very very different.

I use rechargable Rayovacs. I know Energizer and Duracell are better brands, but their batteries are too expensive. With Rayovac, you get more for your money.

What are the best kind of rechargeable batteries to use? Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), or Lithium-ion?

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

Scissors

theblackdragon wrote:

I used to have this problem with Okami all the time, horizontal slices were the bane of my existence for quite a while. I found that when I moved farther away from the sensor bar, though, they registered just fine. try moving back a couple feet and see if it helps?

Okay I set my sensor bar farther back, and things have gotten mostly better with only some minor hitches now. Funny you mention Okami because I went through the entire game being frustrated at the controls, wish I had known what I was doing wrong then. Meanwhile my friend played the same copy of the game on his Wii and raved about the controls.

SamuraiShyGuy

Never, not once did I have a problem doing a horizontal slice. It's the easiest of all the sword techniques.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

theblackdragon

@Scissors: i always had a problem with horizontal slices in Okami and i had no idea why for the longest time... i was always frustrated as hell, and the Z trick never worked for me at all. crossing off demons' names from those lists was a nightmare, lol, but i finally had an epiphany during the second battle with you-know-who, where there's that big sequence of slashes along with Susano... i remember i was sitting close to the TV and it drove me up a wall that i would constantly eff up this one horizontal slash, so i got pissed and stood up, went to a spot behind my chair, and slashed away with huge motions... and it worked! a little bit of experimenting at that point made me come to the conclusion that i was sitting too close to the TV in general :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Blaze

Not for me. The only problem I had was with jabbing in one of the final fights (Don't know if you've finished so won't spoil it for you) but otherwise I found the controls perfect. Horizontal and vertical slices were probably the easiest things to do actually.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.