Forums

Topic: A better way to get online

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Whenever I want to go online, I have to boot up my dad's computer, run the WiFi software, plug in the little WiFi antenna thingy, and temporarily disable my firewall. Because of this frustration, I can only use the internet on a limited basis. We don't want to get a wireless router, and the LAN adaptor is out of the question. Any other ideas?

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

irken004

I usually just have to have the router on, but that's because I don't have a firewall on it.

If you can afford it, there is the Mifi device.

theblackdragon

you've kinda outlined your only available options right there, dude... :/

edit: irken, if they won't go for a wireless router, i think MiFi would be outta the question too

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

longtimegamer

What the heck is MiFi??

3ds fc: 1247-0003-1095
MK Fc: 2793- 3370-8506
Wii Fc: 7382-7314-0404-2194
Fiance Wendy's MK FC:(Same system) 4854-9224-0913
Uno FC: 1849-3080-8612
Overturn FC: 3266-3672-0977
Animal Crossing CF FC: 3094-5964-6068 Name: LTGamer, town: Wiitopia.

"NO SOU...

theblackdragon

longtimegamer wrote:

What the heck is MiFi??

about $149.99 with a 2-year data contract.

@irken: i meant price-wise... MiFi is way more expensive than a one-time purchase of a wireless router. if StarFox's limitation isn't due to money, though, my bad -- MiFi would totally be a valid suggestion in that case. :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

mrlimbo

Whats the problem with getting a "wireless router" ? there cheap enough !

mrlimbo

Old_School

Bud, you cannot get around the wireless router per say. Go to: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WAP54G, this is a WiFi access point. You can enact WPA, a stronger wireless security method.
Open:
TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443
UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play).
Open these on any firewalls or AV scanners, this will get around any complications.

Vegeta: Just...just...transform damn you...
Bulma: We are going to have a penthouse sweet...and he'll drive a corvet...and we will make love every single...
Zarbon: (transforms)
Bulma: KILL IT WITH FIRE!

mrlimbo

If its a "security" issue then you can wire your main comp into the wireless router.

Edited on by mrlimbo

mrlimbo

Machu

Just limit the device's that can access your network, through IP and mac addresses, combine that WPA2 and no-ones getting in!

Rawr!

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

We tried telling the firewall to bypass the WiFi with no luck.

If we got a wireless router, we'd have to convert all 3 of our computers to wireless. It's too much trouble.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

Devil_Hunter_Dante

Is there a computer place there where you live that might be able to help you set something up ?

Edited on by Devil_Hunter_Dante

Devil_Hunter_Dante

Bikeage

I'm using XP, and disabling your firewall just to use the Nintendo WiFi connector sucks, especially because I still had to do it even after checking it as an exception in the firewall menu. I had a hard drive crash (probably related to leaving the firewall open just so I could get my ass kicked in Bomberman) and just did a complete system reboot. When I went about reinstalling software instead of using the boot disk that came with the connector I downloaded the earliest possible version from Nintendo, and after that I no longer need to change the firewall settings, so you might try to uninstall the program and d'l an earlier version.
A few weeks later my roomate got a laptop and router (which cost about as much as the USB connector) though, so I don't even bother with any of that stuff anymore.

"Put. That. Coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only."

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

StarFox wrote:

If we got a wireless router, we'd have to convert all 3 of our computers to wireless.

The wireless router will have wired jacks just like your current router. Go look at them in a store. You'll see 5 jacks on the back. One is for connecting to your cable (or DSL) modem and the other four are for connecting to your computers.

Put your analyst on danger money, baby.

Machu

StarFox wrote:

If we got a wireless router, we'd have to convert all 3 of our computers to wireless. It's too much trouble.

No it's not! Just buy a wireless dongle for each computer (netgear for example), they are really cheap and have great connection speeds. Wireless ftw, the only computer that's wired up to my router, is the one that's sat next to it. It's a much better option than dropping your firewall just to play Wii. Why are you reluctant to go wireless, I don't understand.

Rawr!

Magi

Machu wrote:

No it's not! Just buy a wireless dongle for each computer (netgear for example), they are really cheap and have great connection speeds. Wireless ftw, the only computer that's wired up to my router, is the one that's sat next to it. It's a much better option than dropping your firewall just to play Wii. Why are you reluctant to go wireless, I don't understand.

I'm with Machu on this one. Once you go wireless...you'll never go back. As Machu said in another post, Just use some snazzy (and simple!) IP/MAC address filtering and you'll have decent enough security. I have my desktop hardwired to the router but only because it sits right next to the router. Otherwise, my DS's, PSP, Zune, XBox, Wii, and everything else that's wireless in my house is hooked up through my router...wirelessly!

Magi

theblackdragon

Zaphod+Beeblebrox wrote:

StarFox wrote:

If we got a wireless router, we'd have to convert all 3 of our computers to wireless.

The wireless router will have wired jacks just like your current router. Go look at them in a store. You'll see 5 jacks on the back. One is for connecting to your cable (or DSL) modem and the other four are for connecting to your computers.

i just checked mine, and you're absolutely right. i hadn't even thought about that; my husband's the IT-professional-in-training and he's the one who set up our network, not me, lol. so yes, if you still want to use wired connections, you'll be able to with your wireless router... just make sure it has the jacks you need. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

Pawtrick

mooch off your neighbour's wireless like me.

Pawtrick

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.