Forums

Topic: 360 may also pass Wii's lifetime sales in the United States

Posts 1 to 20 of 37

MAB

The problem with those Xbox figures are alot of people went through 3 - 5 console replacements due to RROD... My launch Wii is still working perfect

MAB

SubBronze

Not much of an achievement with all of the consoles that RRODed...

SteamID: bulby1994

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

Captain_Toad

Hearing this is like telling your friends that you 3-stocked (k.o. ing) someone in Super smash bros yet he killed himself 3 times.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AlexSays

Where does it say Microsoft counts replaced 360s as additional sales?

Unless I'm missing something, consoles replaced by warranty are not duplicated sales. They also fixed the issue relatively early in the system's life, so all the sales from the past several years have been rrod-free.

The damage control is strong in this thread.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

kkslider5552000

I just hope Xbox fans (the 3 who are left after the past couple of months) don't take this as some great victory that they beat a console that's been abandoned for 2 1/2 years.

And that's your lesson today for making fun of everyone equally 101.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

dumedum

I will not be surprised if it does. But globally Wii will always be number 1 even if the 360 keeps selling for many years. Nintendo could have easily made more Wii sales but abandoned it so much earlier than others. I also agree that the frequent faulty 360's (outside of warranty) has a lot to do with the sales of the 360, there's no doubt about that.

Also, pretty amazing Wii led by so much such a long time, even with the year head start of the 360.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

mexlost

Maybe the overwhelming figures are true, with or without replacement consoles, but the Wii will keep delivering far more fun than most games for the 360 The 360 can quench your thirst for blood or to insult or kill your friends online, but the Wii gives you fun, isn't what playing games is all about?

Edited on by mexlost

mexlost

Jani-Koblaney

AlexSays wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, consoles replaced by warranty are not duplicated sales. They also fixed the issue relatively early in the system's life, so all the sales from the past several years have been rrod-free.

I know a lot of people who just didn't bother with the warranty and just kept on buying new consoles. In fact, my cousin is on his 5th 360 right now with 3 other wrecked ones..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

ejamer

Not sure this should surprise anyone who has paid any attention over the past 18+ months.

Nintendo virtually abandoned the Wii after Zelda Skyward Sword. There were a few games after that point in time... but when the notable hardware change is Wii Mini (which only removes desirable features instead of offering any improvements) and there is virtually no marketing or ongoing software support, it's no wonder that Wii sales have dropped off dramatically.

XBox 360 came out a year earlier and was heavily supported for, what, at least 2 years after Wii support dried up? Plus the quality control issue does matter. Sales figures don't count systems replaced under warranty, but I only know one 360 user who purchased fewer than 2 consoles due to hardware failure (he's owned it for less than a year now) while I know of several people who bought THREE or more consoles (holy overheating, Batman). Small sample size, so that's not statistically useful... but the anecdotal evidence is pretty damning.

That said, three or four years ago I wouldn't have expected this news. And even if massive hardware failure rates skew the numbers you have to credit Microsoft for doing such a great job on the console market this past generation.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

GottzGaming

We shouldn't forget that no matter how many 360 sales there are they will never surpass Wii every kid who owned a console from 2006+ had a wii and maybe another console but this was practically guaranteed XD

GottzGaming

kkslider5552000

ejamer wrote:

Nintendo virtually abandoned the Wii after Zelda Skyward Sword

I disagree, they abandoned it after Mario Sports Mix, then remembered they had a Kirby and Zelda game to release. No one remembered Fortune Street. Kinda sad for fans of that game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Eel

AlexSays wrote:

My brother didn't get any console "replaced", he actually bought a brand new one when the previous one stopped working/when a newer shinier model became available. If other xbox fanboys are like him, then I think it is safe to assume that most of them bought at least 3 xboxs

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Midnight3DS

There's no denying it was a hot console, especially being the first out of the new gen chute, and the standard console for 3rd party development.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

CanisWolfred

Yeah, stupid people are stupid, Alexsays. For better or for worse, a fair margain of people didn't even bother with the Warranty. I'd like to believe that those were the same people who paid off credit cards with other credit cards...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Kagamine

AlexSays wrote:

Except your forgetting that most RRoDs were caused after the warranty expired. Also there are many instances where Microsoft refused to repair/replace the system even though it was under warranty. For example my friend got the RRoD after 4 months with his 360 and the wouldn't fix it for him unless he paid because he didn't have it "properly ventilated."

3DS friend code: 1332-7705-6324Previous Usernames: Bossmank
Some_Chords

"Love your ego, you won't feel a thing, always number one, the pen with a bent wrist crooked king, sign away our peace, for your war, one word and it's over." ~ Deadmau5

Nintendo Network ID: bossmank

CanisWolfred

Kagamine wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Except your forgetting that most RRoDs were caused after the warranty expired. Also there are many instances where Microsoft refused to repair/replace the system even though it was under warranty. For example my friend got the RRoD after 4 months with his 360 and the wouldn't fix it for him unless he paid because he didn't have it "properly ventilated."

Hey, why should he get a free system because he didn't take the proper precautions? I've gotten free systems with a warranty extention from Microsoft just for having a broken USB port. If anything, they're generous with their warranties, so long as you're not at all at fault.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexSays

Kagamine wrote:

Except your forgetting that most RRoDs were caused after the warranty expired.

Source for this?

The failure rate was 23% the first two years. Since then, the failure rate has been incredibly low. link.

Most consoles pre-Jasper chip failed within the warranty period and were replaced. Out of that 23%, a small minority actually purchased multiple consoles. Of course on this site, everyone has 'a friend' who bought ten new consoles because of rrod..

The warranty for rrod was three years. Most chips that had overheating issues ran into problems in less than three years. If people bought multiple consoles, its because they simply didn't care about bothering with the warranty.

Even if you say half of that 23% bought new consoles in those first two years, the failure rate has been a complete non issue for the other six years and the 360 would still be on pace to outsell the Wii in United States.

Let's not even get into usage rates or attach rates.. At least the Wii still has worldwide sales. That may be the absolute only thing, but it still has that.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.