Forums

Topic: 2019 Wii/DS Friend Code Thread

Posts 1 to 20 of 26

RedderRugfish

Now that there are finally easy ways to get both Wii and DS games back online that don't require any hacking/modding, I figured it'd be cool to get some games going.

Wii Tutorial Method 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhJOCfmyhXc (requires Wii Internet Channel)
Wii Tutorial Method 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBSQ9Afqiw
Note that Mario Kart Wii will make you wait 7 days before you play online, this is to weed out cheaters. Try to join a game, and if you get error code 23887, the waiting period successfully begins.

DS Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh0AZR-tKwM&t=6s

For both Wii and DS, you will get an error if you try to connect and there is still data/friends from the official Nintendo servers, so this data will have to be cleared (not necessarily all save data, just the wifi data and friends list).

Edited on by RedderRugfish

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

RedderRugfish

My friend codes:
Wii:
Tatsunoko VS Capcom: 0779-0986-6759
Mario Kart Wii: 4215-0712-1796
Mario Sports Mix: 2497-0842-4211
Mario Strikers Charged: 5074-0659-8225
Sonic and the Black Knight: 1981-6895-2921
Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games: 3785-5757-9355

DS:
Warioware DIY: 4343-9215-3640
Bomberman Blitz: 1981-6892-3130
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 3313-1294-0214
Super Scribblenauts: 2497-0855-9920
Pokemon White: 2840-6826-8789
Pokemon Platinum: 5417-6633-6049
Zelda Phantom Hourglass: 2110-5385-5931
Sonic Colors: 0478-4509-8679

Edited on by RedderRugfish

Heavyarms55

It's cool that this exists, but I don't have any DS or Wii games I really want to play online anymore. Thanks for sharing though!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

RedderRugfish

@Heavyarms55 No worries man. I'm honestly just hoping I can find someone who owns Warioware DIY.

edhe

This is a list of all supported games and their online activity:

https://wiimmfi.de/stat?m=28

I do remember sharing WarioWare games with people across the world, but the games are split up in regions. Surely that's no issue when I see the man in the video play Mario Kart with Americans. WarioWare seems to have a fairly good community (10 logins in the last 7 days).

I'm having trouble configuring a WEP/unsecured connection though. The android option looked promising (ignoring the fact I don't have an Android phone), in that I could potentially find a method that works with my home computer instead. A prospective internet search suggests it could be possible.

The two games I own that are supported are Jam with the Band/Daigasso Band Brothers and WarioWare D.I.Y.

As for Wii, I own a WiiU only, so any methods are unavailable to me. Furthermore, the only relevant game I own is Wii Music, which doesn't appear on the aforementioned website.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

RedderRugfish

@edhe While the games are divided by region, only a few of the games are actually region locked, such as Mario Sports Mix and Endless Ocean.

Getting the proper internet security is possibly the only hurdle for DS. If you have android, you can create an open hotspot, but iphone cannot. If you're on windows 10, it also won't work, as it locks the security to wpa2, however there are methods on linux from what I understand. You could also try setting up a guest network, or if you have a windows xp lying around you could use the Nintendi Wifi usb adapter.

What I did (and is probably the easiest method) is just buy an old router from a garage sale for a $1, hold down the reset button on the back, plug it into an open ethernet port on my new router, and I'm good to go.

edhe

I would have thought anything's possible when you use the command line/power shell to create a network, but alas, I can't figure out how to set the security to WEP, let alone restrict what devices can actually use it.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

RedderRugfish

@Delibheel So DSi games work but DS games don't? Do you have the proper wifi security settings (WEP or open)?

RedderRugfish

Did you clear any friends from your roster? What error code was it giving you?

It's worth noting that Pokemon White isn't fully working yet other than the Wifi Room.

edhe

I have a router, but its too cumbersome to set it up in parallel to my current one.

I think my only hope is android. If I was to use an android device, would I be required to use a phone wifi signal, or would a home network be adequate? While I'm in the market for a new device, I don't necessarily need a phone - more a multimedia device to listen to music and play the odd game.

And as a taster, here are some WarioWare screenshots I whipped together. It was pretty difficult to take a picture and play the game at the same time, so some of them are a bit off centre.

Sity Cim (1)(2)
Smith Richard (1)(2)(3)(4)
Lyle's Laser (1)
Cops & Candy (1)(2)
Nerd v Geek (1)
Cops&Candy2 (1)

I am proud to say most of them were picked for the respective Europe showcases, and I had great fun making them, although I had to make concessions with some of them in animation frames and the number of sprites.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

RedderRugfish

@Delibheel Can you try again and give me the full error? And does Pokemon White work with your normal wifi? Unlike other DS games, that game will work with WPA2 if played on a DSi or 3DS.

@edhe Are you sure the router won't work? It's arguably the most reliable and easy way of getting on. And for making a hotspot on Android, I believe it just uses mobile data (though the DS uses so little that you'd have to play for hours and hours for it to make the slightest dent in your phone bill).

But sometimes the hotspot method doesn't work for unknown reasons, so try the router method first. If you can't get it working, see if you have a friend with an Android who's willing to let you test it before you go out and buy an entire phone partially for this.

StableInvadeel

Yes, Pokémon white through my normal connection. It seems to take some time to let you get another mystery gift, since it worked again some time ago.

Trying to connect to the internet with my phone, with regular DS games, gives the 52100 error.

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

edhe

@ReaderRagfihs

The one I tried is probably too modern - it was the previous one. It's not something I'm too familiar with, connecting a router up to another one, and managing them both on one computer.
What I did was plug it in to the mains, then plug it in to the ethernet port. But it then required me to fiddle about on the computer to connect it, but then it didn't seem to stay on.

The one I used looks similar to this

Would something like this be adequate?

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

RedderRugfish

@Delibheel Did you use 164.132.44.106 as your primary DNS? And do you get the error when trying to get connected in game or when in the connection settings doing a connection test?

RedderRugfish

@edhe I'm not sure if those two routers will work just based off the pictures, but theoretically once reset they should both be able to connect just fine with open wifi even if they don't support WEP.

I didn't even need to manage my old router with my computer. Just held down the reset button, plugged the it in to a spare ethernet port in my current router, and my DS was automatically able to connect.

Based on the first picture, you would put a plug into the red port on the old router labeled WAN and plug it into any of the free ports on your current router.

The one I'm using looks something like this
Untitled

edhe

@ReaderRagfihs That could be why - the lead coming out of the old router was in the DSL socket.

It's still a bit of a hassle connecting a second one up, which is why a small form one might do better. I'll give it another try tomorrow though. Thanks for the help.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

RedderRugfish

@edhe Right, both ports are used as the source for the router's internet, but the DSL port would be for connecting to your phone line if you have a DSL connection rather than cable.

Also, it's pretty cool that your microgames were picked for the showcases, as none of mine ever were. Granted, I was younger and they weren't that good. Unfortunately, I actually no longer own that cartridge, as it was lost years ago and I bought a new one last year. So I have no access to my old games, but it's no big deal since my newer ones are way better.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic