Forums

Topic: 1080p / 720p upscaler for Wii

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Scollurio

Hello folks, I just ordered a hardware-based upscaler for my borrowed Wii, I don't want to advertise this product here (thus no link to a shopping site or something, if you want further info please message me in private, and NO im not the one selling it) rather just give you all the possibility to bump your Wii graphics to a higher level.

What it does:
It scales Wii's 480p internal resolution up to either 720p or 1080p (selectable via a little switch) and allows you to connect your Wii to your TV through a single HDMI cable.

How it works:
Its upscaling so NO you don't actally get higher resolution, what you get is a crystal clear (but of course pixelated) picture in the best possible quality the Wii can generate. It's a hardware dongle that looks like a white, fat USB stick that connects to the video/audio-OUT-port of your Wii. In that dongle you have a HDMI out from which you connect your Wii to your TV.

What does it cost:
I got mine on amazon for 28 euro, well worth it.

So I don't know if you guys knew about it but Im really happy with it, it gives me crystal clear pixel picture (which doesn't bother me too much since im not THAT close to TV) without all those composite-artifacts or "fog" from bad cables. It's clearly better picture. So if you want further infromation, please message me or maybe a MODERATOR can approve if I can post at least the NAME of the product so you can go for it yourselves. Really don't want to use this as advertising. Thank you!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

luminalace

I really wanted one of these upscalers at the early stage of the Wii's life after I got a Full HD TV but I heard they don't do much! Wouldn't bother now though myself because I am just waiting for the Wii U!

luminalace

Scollurio

Well I have to say, this one DOES A LOT. Yes you don't get higher resolution per se, but what you get is really a crystal clear signal.
Im not sold on the Wii U yet really, so I was thinking of picking up Wii + games Im interested in for a bargain close to release of Wii U.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

Lin1876

Please forgive my skepticism, but wouldn't you get similar results just from using the official component cable? While upscaling is all well and good, no technical wizardry is going to show more detail that isn't there to begin with. Heck, as long as you avoid composite (the yellow, white and red cables) and upgrade to RGB SCART (less than £10) in Europe there isn't much you can do to improve quality.

Still, go with what your eyes tell you. If you think a certain set-up looks better to you then it looks better, simple as that.

I go by Lin1876 everywhere in games, so keep an eye out for me!

Scollurio

@Lin1876 I know about all that, and I said it puts out EVERYTHING the Wii can do - not more. But that crystal clear, I tried it out at a friends, it give you like 5% better picture compared to comonent cable (BUT, I only have HDMI on my TV, so no option for me to use component), like 50% better picture than scart and 80% better picture than that yellow cable made of fail.

All that on a LG 32" LED - FULL HD.

Im really happy with that upscaler! Well worth its money.
And since I can't use component and that HDMI no carries picture AND sound, it's the ideal solution for me, which i wanted to share for people that might be in similar situation!

#supportindies

Wheels2050

Does it introduce noticeable lag?

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

luckysh0t

Scollurio wrote:

i wanted to share for people that might be in similar situation!

Hi can you send me the details of the upscaler you got? I've tried one before but the quality was poor, thanks.

luckysh0t

iphys

I've seen these things for as little as $20 on eBay. Not too sure how good the quality is or what the longevity is like.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

JetForceSetGrind

Swiket wrote:

I already play my Wii games in 720p. I'm not gonna say how but it rhymes with "Shmolphin".

Wii only goes up to 480i....

JetForceSetGrind

vaguerant

The improvement anyone will get out of this is inversely proportionate to the quality of their TV. TVs do their own upscaling, and a good TV will be able to do a sharp/pixelated image or a smooth/blurred image or anything in between based on your preferences. If the upscaler your TV uses is crap, however, the result might be too blurry, or result in high latency (input lag), etc. These kinds of cases are where a device like this will have the greatest utility. This of course assumes a high quality external upscaler--a crap upscaler on a crap TV will get you pretty much nowhere, possibly introducing lag in the process. On a good TV, it could both look crap and lag.

The Wii can officially output up to 480p, not 480i as stated in the above post. If you can only go up to 480i, it's because you're using the archaic composite video cables, which can't carry a progressive signal. The "720p" user is talking about using an emulator--PC software which runs Wii games using the computer's own 3D hardware and can run at arbitrary resolutions. It's also worth noting that unofficially, the Wii is capable of 576p display, but this has never been used in commercial software.

I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.