Forums

Topic: Your top 5 E3 Nintendo Wishes

Posts 721 to 740 of 776

DefHalan

IceClimbers wrote:

I'd say a better beat-em-up would be an F-Zero spinoff focusing on Captain Falcon's bounty hunter side. FALCON PAWNCHHH!

I'd buy that game in a heartbeat, but we all know the game will never happen.

More likely than a F-Zero racing game loljk

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Anyways, more on target, I could see Nintendo trying something like that, but also keep in mind that they try to find a spin on it that we haven't really seen before, or at least not very often. By this alone, super powers are automatically out of the question, and being that Nintendo is how they are, you can pretty much take guns out of the question, too. An urban setting wouldn't be impossible, but it'd have to be very different from your typical urban setting. What if there was a heavy music-base to the the world? Like if it was a city based on and built out of music in which you use sound as a weapon? A stylized urban environment with concert stages and rock shows and street performers. There could be a rhythm aspect, but who says there'd have to be? It wouldn't be a branch of the Rhythm Heaven series, though. Something new.

I like the idea, but what would music based weaponry do gameplay wise? You're not very specific about how they differ from regular weapons.

Do I look like a game developer? XD I have no idea what they would do with this. It's an incomplete idea.

UGXwolf wrote:

Also, DK is a Platformer. Don't make it a beat-em-up. That's a stupid idea. Don't change the series in ways it doesn't need to change, especially when you could do a wonderful hack-and-slash or beat-em-up or character action title with the Mysterious Murasame Castle or something similar.

That style of gameplay mixes platforming and beat-em-up gameplay, so it's not as if DK is losing anything with this style. But if that's too drastic, then they should at least make it a subseries because DK fits this gameplay style like a glove. DK has always been depicted as a brute and IMO the DKC games don't fully show this side of him in the gameplay. I can completely imagine him bashing his way through hordes of enemies while jumping and swinging through jungles like he always has. This isn't really trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Perhaps a better comparison would be the Werehog from Sonic Unleashed, which is a good mix of beat em up gameplay with platforming heavily based on climbing and swinging.

No, it's more like putting a round peg through a square hole. It'll fit, but you're gonna look pretty silly doing it. How does DK have any beat-em-up elements in it in the first place? I mean, I suppose you MIGHT make that argument for DK 64, but no more than you could for SM64. I could totally see DK ripping through hordes of enemies, but didn't we already do that with an even more fitting Nintendo IP that's known for doing ridiculous stuff and treating it like it's absolutely normal? Made a lovely hack-n-slash that a lot of us actually very much enjoy. I'm just saying, why change an existing character and take the focus of the game off the platforming that has defined it since the start? Why not make a new character or take one that's open to interpretation and make THAT the new game? An Ice Climbers beat-em-up would be pretty fun to see, I think. Or as I mentioned before, maybe a Mysterious Murasame Castle hack-n-slash.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

No, it's more like putting a round peg through a square hole. It'll fit, but you're gonna look pretty silly doing it. How does DK have any beat-em-up elements in it in the first place? I mean, I suppose you MIGHT make that argument for DK 64, but no more than you could for SM64.

When you're looking at a new genre you don't just look at his gameplay. You look at the way the character and universe is portrayed. Luckily, in both cases DK fits a beat em up. For one, DK himself is very physical and has a lot of combat oriented abilities. He can punch, he can roll into enemies, he can slap and pound, he can pick up and throw enemies. These abilities would work very well in beat em up gameplay. The supporting cast could also fit fairly well in this gameplay style, Diddy has many similar abilities to DK and his gameplay style could be more agile (maybe he can attack quicker and rack up more combos). Dixie's hair could work like a whip, and Cranky can easily use his canes to attack. Other mechanics like barrels would translate well, and they could bring back the fruit weapons from DK64 as well. The series in general portrays the characters as very strong and physical, you see, you see DK beating up the bad guys quite often in cutscenes and scripted sequences. Look at Returns and TF, they slap the ground to trigger events in the levels and on the last hit, DK can perform a finisher that allows him to hit the boss repeatedly. How you can think the gameplay is a mismatch is beyond me, it looks more like a match made in heaven.

UGXwolf wrote:

I could totally see DK ripping through hordes of enemies, but didn't we already do that with an even more fitting Nintendo IP that's known for doing ridiculous stuff and treating it like it's absolutely normal? Made a lovely hack-n-slash that a lot of us actually very much enjoy.

Hyrule Warriors? I doubt we'll see another of those. And the only other comparable game, Bayonetta, is something I can't see continuing for very long.

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm just saying, why change an existing character and take the focus of the game off the platforming that has defined it since the start? Why not make a new character or take one that's open to interpretation and make THAT the new game? An Ice Climbers beat-em-up would be pretty fun to see, I think. Or as I mentioned before, maybe a Mysterious Murasame Castle hack-n-slash.

Because we don't need a new character to do something that an existing IP can do, and Nintendo themselves will not create a new IP for something that an existing IP can do (and they probably take a similar approach with dormant IPs). And who said every DK game needs to be a pure platformer? They could easily make an alternate style that carries the same spirit but with slightly different gameplay, they already did so with the Mario collectathons and Metroid Prime. You're missing the entire point, I'm not saying that DK needs to water down the platforming, I want to see them add something to it.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

No, it's more like putting a round peg through a square hole. It'll fit, but you're gonna look pretty silly doing it. How does DK have any beat-em-up elements in it in the first place? I mean, I suppose you MIGHT make that argument for DK 64, but no more than you could for SM64.

When you're looking at a new genre you don't just look at his gameplay. You look at the way the character and universe is portrayed. Luckily, in both cases DK fits a beat em up. For one, DK himself is very physical and has a lot of combat oriented abilities. He can punch, he can roll into enemies, he can slap and pound, he can pick up and throw enemies. These abilities would work very well in beat em up gameplay. The supporting cast could also fit fairly well in this gameplay style, Diddy has many similar abilities to DK and his gameplay style could be more agile (maybe he can attack quicker and rack up more combos). Dixie's hair could work like a whip, and Cranky can easily use his canes to attack. Other mechanics like barrels would translate well, and they could bring back the fruit weapons from DK64 as well. The series in general portrays the characters as very strong and physical, you see, you see DK beating up the bad guys quite often in cutscenes and scripted sequences. Look at Returns and TF, they slap the ground to trigger events in the levels and on the last hit, DK can perform a finisher that allows him to hit the boss repeatedly. How you can think the gameplay is a mismatch is beyond me, it looks more like a match made in heaven.

UGXwolf wrote:

I could totally see DK ripping through hordes of enemies, but didn't we already do that with an even more fitting Nintendo IP that's known for doing ridiculous stuff and treating it like it's absolutely normal? Made a lovely hack-n-slash that a lot of us actually very much enjoy.

Hyrule Warriors? I doubt we'll see another of those. And the only other comparable game, Bayonetta, is something I can't see continuing for very long.

Up to here, you made decent points. My argument wasn't that DK couldn't fit into a beat-em-up, though. My point was that there's no need to change his playstyle for that.

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm just saying, why change an existing character and take the focus of the game off the platforming that has defined it since the start? Why not make a new character or take one that's open to interpretation and make THAT the new game? An Ice Climbers beat-em-up would be pretty fun to see, I think. Or as I mentioned before, maybe a Mysterious Murasame Castle hack-n-slash.

Because we don't need a new character to do something that an existing IP can do, and Nintendo themselves will not create a new IP for something that an existing IP can do (and they probably take a similar approach with dormant IPs). And who said every DK game needs to be a pure platformer? They could easily make an alternate style that carries the same spirit but with slightly different gameplay, they already did so with the Mario collectathons and Metroid Prime. You're missing the entire point, I'm not saying that DK needs to water down the platforming, I want to see them add something to it.

Mario becoming a collect-a-thon was considered the next evolution of Platforming. It was thought to be a natural progression. It wasn't some being game changer, because Mario was still a Platformer. And Metroid becoming an FPS was Retro's doing, not Nintendo's. (Obviously, Nintendo could stop them, if they wanted, but they're not really known for taking over another developer's creative freedom, barring a few specific cases with Miyamoto.) And besides that, notice how the focus of the game stayed on exploration and Metroid-vania-style progression?

Meanwhile, let's look at a case where a recurring game series made a sudden change of gameplay: Star Fox Adventures. Aaaaaand everyone hated it because it wasn't an on-rails shooter. Yes, let's do that to Donkey Kong, as well, and make all the fans hate it for not being a difficult Platformer.

However, we can look at cases of bringing back dormant titles. Kid Icarus: Uprising plays nothing like the original Kid Icarus games. In fact, it hardly even resembles its old self. It became an on-rails shooter and third-person action title. Nintendo didn't seem to have a problem completely changing the focus of the game, there, so I don't see why they'd have a problem changing Murasame Jo into a hack-n-slash or Ice Climbers into a beat-em-up.

The problem with making DK not a Platformer is that DK is a Platformer. How misled do you think fans would be if they got the new DK game and it wasn't a Platformer? I know you're not fond of Platformers, these days, but seriously, get over it. DK games differentiate themselves just enough to make a whole new experience without alienating their fans. The DK games are also doing very well, as they are. Why change something that works when you can try something new with something that hasn't worked in decades?

Bolt_Strike

@UGXWolf All right, I have to put the shoe on the other foot here and ask if you've ever even seen a game of this style, let alone played one, because based on your comments you are so uninformed about this genre. They are platformers, it's a mix of beat em up gameplay and platformer gameplay. And just so we're clear I'm going to post some gameplay videos:

Whenever you're not fighting in the game, you're platforming. Jumping across platforms. Climbing ledges. Swinging across poles. In fact, you can easily imagine DK in a game like this, swap out the poles and ledges with more DK elements like ropes, vines, and grass patches and you've got a pretty good base for what DK could do with this style. You're not throwing out DK's platforming roots and moving into an entirely new genre, you're adding onto DK gameplay with beat em up gameplay. And IDK about you, but I don't see a game like this alienating fans at all, they would likely enjoy it at the very least as a separate branch of the series.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

briwipdx

1. Golden Sun U
2. Pokemon U/V WiiU/3DS crossover title
3. Amiibo-land 3D Ultra World U ... errrrr whatever theyr gunna call it.
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

briwipdx

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9842-2514 | Nintendo Network ID: briwipdx

cookiex

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Hyrule Warriors? I doubt we'll see another of those.

Why? HW sold well (more than any other post-PS2 Warriors game except that One Piece version) and the series' producer said he wants to bring the Warriors formula to other Nintendo IPs. I could easily see another game being made.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

@UGXWolf All right, I have to put the shoe on the other foot here and ask if you've ever even seen a game of this style, let alone played one, because based on your comments you are so uninformed about this genre. They are platformers, it's a mix of beat em up gameplay and platformer gameplay. And just so we're clear I'm going to post some gameplay videos:

Whenever you're not fighting in the game, you're platforming. Jumping across platforms. Climbing ledges. Swinging across poles. In fact, you can easily imagine DK in a game like this, swap out the poles and ledges with more DK elements like ropes, vines, and grass patches and you've got a pretty good base for what DK could do with this style. You're not throwing out DK's platforming roots and moving into an entirely new genre, you're adding onto DK gameplay with beat em up gameplay. And IDK about you, but I don't see a game like this alienating fans at all, they would likely enjoy it at the very least as a separate branch of the series.

I wouldn't really call that a beat 'em up. More an action Platformer. But essentially what you're suggesting here is DK 64 with a more linear structure, which I would be down for.

iKhan

briwipdx wrote:

1. Golden Sun U
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

You do realize that the 3DS has zero major games in the 2nd half 2015 right? Why do you think Nintendo would put traditionally handheld titles like Golden Sun and Pokemon on Wii U

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

iKhan wrote:

briwipdx wrote:

1. Golden Sun U
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

You do realize that the 3DS has zero major games in the 2nd half 2015 right? Why do you think Nintendo would put traditionally handheld titles like Golden Sun and Pokemon on Wii U

I count one major 3DS game in 2nd half of 2015, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX which was delayed to September from May.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

briwipdx

iKhan wrote:

briwipdx wrote:

1. Golden Sun U
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

I dont necessarily believe Ninty would, but I believe the forum title read: "top 5 E3 WISHES," no? also, Golden Sun is just begging for an epic console outing, and what better way to lure more buyers than pokemon? Again, these are my top 5 WISHES. wishes and reality need not align.

briwipdx

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9842-2514 | Nintendo Network ID: briwipdx

Blast

This tug of war between 3DS and Wii U wishes is just another reason why the NX should be a console and handheld hybrid. Its time we stopped spreading Nintendo's resources thin.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

LzWinky

I count one major 3DS game in 2nd half of 2015, Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX which was delayed to September from May.

Um, I would describe that game as niche...not major.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

briwipdx wrote:

iKhan wrote:

briwipdx wrote:

1. Golden Sun U
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

I dont necessarily believe Ninty would, but I believe the forum title read: "top 5 E3 WISHES," no? also, Golden Sun is just begging for an epic console outing, and what better way to lure more buyers than pokemon? Again, these are my top 5 WISHES. wishes and reality need not align.

Yeah sorry, I posted that response thinking it's the predictions thread.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

Blast wrote:

This tug of war between 3DS and Wii U wishes is just another reason why the NX should be a console and handheld hybrid. Its time we stopped spreading Nintendo's resources thin.

You don't need to physically unite the two platforms to unite the software. The handheld and home console can share a similar OS, so both systems would share many games like is true for the iPad and iPhone.

Also, the main reason Nintendo has the problem is because of a lack of 3rd party support.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

iKhan wrote:

briwipdx wrote:

1. Golden Sun U
4. Earthbound U
5. Twilight Princess 3DS

I'm not sure that really counts as a "major release". I'm talking about something that has actual advertising dollars behind it.

Also, I was more referring to games published by Nintendo.

Kogorn733

(1) Metroid for Wii U (PLEASE don't make it handheld..that would be a waste)
(2) An adventure game that incorporates amiibos for multiple franchises, a la Disney Infinity
(3) A new Earthbound game and/or localization of Mother 3
(4) A Nintendo-franchise RPG (a new rumored paper mario game)
(5) An Ice Climbers puzzle/adventure game

Kogorn733

-Juice-

I'd truthfully like for Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode to get a western localization. It's been years since it came out in Japan, but I have this vain (though tragically unrealistic) hope that it'll be localized sometime soon. Either that or Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I'd prefer the latter though, as much as I liked Dawn and Dusk, I prefer the gameplay elements of the first Digimon World. I also like to see my creatures as they fight, not just the opponents.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

SparkOfSpirit

1. Paper Mario Wii U (TTYD style)
2. Metroid V 3DS (Sidescroller)
3. A Donkey Kong game made by Retro
4. Wario Land 3DS
5. Mario Kart 8 Battle Mode DLC

But I'm sure there will be some good stuff announced.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bolt_Strike

Updated predictions:

-New loyalty program shown off
-Full reveal of Star Fox, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, and Project Treasure including names, release dates, and gameplay
-More information on Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Devil's Third, SMT X FE, and Fire Emblem If
-DLC for Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon
-Localization details for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Rodea the Sky Soldier
-Details on Super Mystery Dungeon including first gameplay footage
-Reveals for Animal Crossing U, Warioware 3D, Mario Sports U, and Next Level's game
-Possibly reveals for Pokken, Mario, Metroid, or Paper Mario U

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Updated predictions:

-New loyalty program shown off
-Full reveal of Star Fox, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, and Project Treasure including names, release dates, and gameplay
-More information on Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker, Devil's Third, SMT X FE, and Fire Emblem If
-DLC for Smash, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon
-Localization details for Xenoblade Chronicles X and Rodea the Sky Soldier
-Details on Super Mystery Dungeon including first gameplay footage
-Reveals for Animal Crossing U, Warioware 3D, Mario Sports U, and Next Level's game
-Possibly reveals for Pokken, Mario, Metroid, or Paper Mario U

-Didn't they already say they weren't talking about that at E3? Anyways, who wants to bet it has to do with DeNA?

-I would hope they show some SFU stuff. I wouldn't get my heart set on a release date. Nintendo doesn't like giving those until a likely date is practically set in stone. I'm pretty sure Iwata practically confirmed Project Guard and Project Robot were both part of the same game, and I'm certain he more-or-less said they'd be at E3. Project Treasure is on Namco, but after last year's tease, I'd be shocked, if they didn't. (Also, if Nintendo shows nothing else, they'll show gameplay. That's what Nintendo does.)

-Devil's Third and FE are the only two iffy ones here. I certainly hope they're going to show more of these two off, but I'd survive, if they skipped FE in favor of a new game, since FE isn't coming out 'til 2016.

-Smash is probably. Kart is possible. Splatoon is almost certain.

-Considering XBCX is still slated for 2015, not seeing it at E3 would be distressing.

-Never heard of it. That's a thing? Cool!

-Probably; don't get your hopes up; almost definitely; that's probably Mario Sports U.

-Pokken is already revealed, tho. I suppose they could reveal plans to bring it to console, but otherwise, it's not really a reveal. Mario seems likely, though not guaranteed. (That would totally explain moving Zelda back, though.) Metroid seems unlikely, given the timing. Maybe next year. And fingers crossed for PMU.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.