Forums

Topic: Your top 5 E3 Nintendo Wishes

Posts 461 to 480 of 776

Octane

Sanya wrote:

This is what irritates me, people throw a tantrum because Samus cries. She's human, get over it, she still kicks butt and take down giant aliens like Phantoon or whatever that thing is called at the end. (or beginning in the old games, lol)

Was it really crying though? I only remember her being shocked and having the flashbacks.

Octane

Joeynator3000

Octane wrote:

Sanya wrote:

This is what irritates me, people throw a tantrum because Samus cries. She's human, get over it, she still kicks butt and take down giant aliens like Phantoon or whatever that thing is called at the end. (or beginning in the old games, lol)

Was it really crying though? I only remember her being shocked and having the flashbacks.

That was with Ridley, she also cries in another scene.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

Sooo teary-eyed baby mama Samus who need's her man's permission for self defense? Yah, no. You can voice Samus, but you have to do it in a way that isn't sexist, either politically or with regards to underlying gender roles. Samus does not follow gender roles because Samus is a SPACE &#%^$!@ BADASS who don't need no man.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

Sooo teary-eyed baby mama Samus who need's her man's permission for self defense? Yah, no. You can voice Samus, but you have to do it in a way that isn't sexist, either politically or with regards to underlying gender roles. Samus does not follow gender roles because Samus is a SPACE &#%^$!@ BADASS who don't need no man.

Except that she's very motherly, even in the Metroid games that weren't made by jiggle engineers. And as I already pointed out, we never really see her interacting with other people. Maybe in the void of space, she's totally calm, cool, and collected, and maybe she just has trouble dealing with people. Also, keep in mind that she DOES work for a government. Yeah, she does actually need her superior's orders to do some things, because that's how military works. Free lancers get stamped out. That's why she LEFT the Galactic Federation.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Except that she's very motherly, even in the Metroid games that weren't made by jiggle engineers. And as I already pointed out, we never really see her interacting with other people. Maybe in the void of space, she's totally calm, cool, and collected, and maybe she just has trouble dealing with people. Also, keep in mind that she DOES work for a government. Yeah, she does actually need her superior's orders to do some things, because that's how military works. Free lancers get stamped out. That's why she LEFT the Galactic Federation.

Motherly??? How? Because of the baby Metroid? 99% of the time she's shooting alien larvae! And since when did militaries need to authorize different types of personal weaponry?

OorWullie

Top 5 dream wishes for 1st party games would be

Smash Bros Strikers United - like Mario Strikers but with the huge roster of Smash and given the AAA treatment with the hopes of it becoming a huge new series for Nintendo.

Eternal Darkness 2 - If not a true sequel then a spiritual one but something really dark,edgy and genuinely terrifying.

A new entry in the Excite series - Truck was one of my first and most loved games on the Wii,I spent countless hours trying to S rank all the cups.Keep the motion controls though as here they suited the gameplay and added lots to the intensity and white knuckle racing.

Super Wario Bros - A completely zany 3D platformer similar in style to N64 classics like Banjo and Conker.A budget release and only for the Eshop.

And then the big WOW moment at the end of the event,Miyamoto appears with Yu Suzuki to announce Nintendo have acquired the Shenmue license and that coming at the end of the year for Wii U is a completely remastered double package of Shenmue 1 and 2 with the knockout revelation that Nintendo and Suzuki are working on the 3rd entry and they will be able show it off at the next E3.

And then I woke up...

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Motherly??? How? Because of the baby Metroid? 99% of the time she's shooting alien larvae! And since when did militaries need to authorize different types of personal weaponry?

That's the point, now isn't it. 99% of the time, she IS shooting and killing aliens. So why not this one, when she KNOWS Metroids are dangerous creatures used by the pirates for unspeakable evils. Why not this one. This specific one. Because it didn't attack her. Remember the animals in Super Metroid? Optional to save them, but canon, as they save your keester in Fusion, IIRC. And that Baby Metroid that she chose not to shoot saved her life multiple times. The only reason people didn't assume this was because Samus never shows emotions in the games because the story was... not really addressed by the games, themselves. Samus is a Motherly figure, though, and very caring, when not facing monsters that are liable to rip her face off before she can even show any compassion. It's easy to assume she's a BAMF and nothing else, because it was never addressed in the games, but she's not so one-dimensional as that. Other M just chose a poor way to go about showing that. (Namely by going the complete opposite extreme and making her seem entirely dependent.)

And yeah, military can actually be quite strict, when they choose to me. The majority of commanders aren't as dumb as general Douchebag Malcovich, over there, but then, Malcovich was explained in X. He's not exactly supposed to be a likeable character.

UGXwolf

OorWullie wrote:

Top 5 dream wishes for 1st party games would be

Smash Bros Strikers United - like Mario Strikers but with the huge roster of Smash and given the AAA treatment with the hopes of it becoming a huge new series for Nintendo.

Eternal Darkness 2 - If not a true sequel then a spiritual one but something really dark,edgy and genuinely terrifying.

A new entry in the Excite series - Truck was one of my first and most loved games on the Wii,I spent countless hours trying to S rank all the cups.Keep the motion controls though as here they suited the gameplay and added lots to the intensity and white knuckle racing.

Super Wario Bros - A completely zany 3D platformer similar in style to N64 classics like Banjo and Conker.A budget release and only for the Eshop.

And then the big WOW moment at the end of the event,Miyamoto appears with Yu Suzuki to announce Nintendo have acquired the Shenmue license and that coming at the end of the year for Wii U is a completely remastered double package of Shenmue 1 and 2 with the knockout revelation that Nintendo and Suzuki are working on the 3rd entry and they will be able show it off at the next E3.

And then I woke up...

You are aware that Shadow of the Eternals was a thing, at one point, yes? It was a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness that looked rather promising and had an episodic format in mind, but the funding never happened, so it's sitting in development hell waiting for someone to save it. gives Nintendo a piercing glare Now would be a wonderful time, guys.

Haru17

...But how does that make her motherly. Being 'motherly' isn't just the quality of being nice while also being a woman.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

...But how does that make her motherly. Being 'motherly' isn't just the quality of being nice while also being a woman.

It's how her character was built. The symbolism is practically leaking out of every pore the series has. And IIRC, didn't the original director even state that Prime wasn't canon and Other M was? (I totally could be wrong, though, I don't pay all that much attention to Metroid, but I'm pretty sure that happened.)

Eel

Technically yes, Other M closely follows the canon of the series, while the Prime games were more or less spin offs made mostly by other people.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

OorWullie

[quote=OorWullie]

UGXwolf wrote:

You are aware that Shadow of the Eternals was a thing, at one point, yes? It was a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness that looked rather promising and had an episodic format in mind, but the funding never happened, so it's sitting in development hell waiting for someone to save it. gives Nintendo a piercing glare Now would be a wonderful time, guys.

I am aware of that yes but alas it never happened and never really looked like it was going to,it was a mess.Even if it had came to be,without Nintendo's backing I don't think it would have come close to being a worthy successor anyway so it was probably for the best it never.With the developers track record,or lack of since finishing ED,it's hard to believe otherwise.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

UGXwolf

A lot of people were complaining about that. Yeah, I heard the Director was mostly incompetent, and Too Human kinda shows it, but while I was browsing their forums, I found the devs were all mostly great people. At least on the forums, anyways. Still, I feel that as they were able to crank out an amazing game with ED, they could totally make a second strike with SotE. What little we did see actually really looked great.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

It's how her character was built. The symbolism is practically leaking out of every pore the series has.

Which is it?
A) An answer
B) The correct answer
C) Not an answer at all

C! It's C, because vague generalizations don't prove your point. You have to cite evidence to do that #getgud.

UGXwolf

@Haru17 I was pretty sure that pointing out that Word of God states Prime is not canon and Other M is counts as evidence, and that game doesn't so much trim symbolism into the borders as... smacks you in the face... dead on... with a sledge-hammer-shaped block of symbolism.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

@Haru17 I was pretty sure that pointing out that Word of God states Prime is not canon and Other M is counts as evidence, and that game doesn't so much trim symbolism into the borders as... smacks you in the face... dead on... with a sledge-hammer-shaped block of symbolism.

No, no, no, I won't allow you the luxury of conflating your points. You cited the non jiggle physics games as evidence, I challenged that assertion, you came back with no evidence, I called you on the lack of supporting evidence, and now you cite Other M as the proof that Other M is justified in giving Samus the gender role of 'motherly' because of a precedent. That's circular logic.

Unless you can cite evidence from a game other than Other M that shows Samus as having the character trait of 'motherly' you won't have supported your point.

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

That's not the thing. The Galactic Federation was doing its thing on the Bottle Ship, I don't think Samus had a lot of choice other than work with the proposed rules set by Adam. Not because he is the opposite gender, but because it's in her interest not to get in trouble with the Galactic Federation.

Whilst it doesn't make much sense for her to put herself in danger and not use certain weapons, it makes equally less sense to loose all her weapons and abilities again, during her arrival at the Bottle Ship. Just for her to find her weapons again scattered throughout the ship.

When it comes to logic, every game is flawed.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Haru17

Because we should trust Team Ninja's gender politics when dealing with a female protagonist's concern for the baby metroid on the bottle ship. U wot m8, I can't even, just, ugh, stop.

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

Because we should trust Team Ninja's gender politics when dealing with a female protagonist's concern for the baby metroid on the bottle ship. U wot m8, I can't even, just, ugh, stop.

Right.. I almost forgot it was impossible to argue with you if the topic is something you don't like. Won't make that mistake again.

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Right.. I almost forgot it was impossible to argue with you if the topic is something you don't like. Won't make that mistake again.

shrug I don't know why I should apologize for their cliches.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.