Forums

Topic: Your latest Wii U purchase!

Posts 361 to 380 of 556

Darknyht

@gcunit, @subpopz As soon as it arrives I will share my impressions. The estimate is between the 2nd and 8th.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Darknyht

So far the game has got the voices, but the gameplay is a little uneven. I am not sure if it is because I am still in handhold mode or not, but so far the game is scanning with a PK meter and blasting ghosts.

The graphics are very stylized, and the audio calls my female avatar guy or he fairly frequently. The controls are similar to Metroid Prime 3 in that the pointer is how you aim and turn. Overall I am enjoying it, but again I am only 45 minutes into it.

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

Got both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD off ebay. Happy to get some more use out of my Wii U, but going to need an external to play more games, I ran out of space. Eager to play Twilight Princess in glorious HD and with the improvements made. Never played Wind Waker so I'm curious.

SuperLuigi111

gcunit

I've just ordered a 2tb hdd in the hope of eventually merging my Gamecube, Wii and Wii U games onto one drive. Could take a while as I've not perfected the injection process yet, and I have about 150 games to inject if I go for all of them.

And I bought Ghostbusters

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tyranexx

@SuperLuigi111: I've played both over the past year. WW HD was my first time with the game too. I really enjoyed it, but getting the Swift Sail as soon as possible will really aid in your enjoyment of the game. As for TP HD, I'd say it's the definitive version of the game (I've played the Wii version as well). The only bummer here is that the Miiverse stamps are now useless.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Darknyht

@gcunit Hope you enjoy it. So far I have had fun, but I only get to really play on the weekends so I haven't made much more progress.

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

I know I asked this question once before, but can someone tell me what type of hard drive to buy for the Wii U?

SuperLuigi111

gcunit

@SuperLuigi111 The one I've just bought is a WD My Book, because it comes with its own power lead and so won't rely on the USB for power. It's listed by Nintendo as a compatible drive for Wii U here - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii-U/Storage/Compatible-U...

Up to now I've been using an old internal 2.5" laptop hdd, with a SATA-to-USB Y cable. This had mostly worked fine, but I still get the occasional error with a few operations I've tried, and I want to eliminate that, hence the My Book.

SuperLuigi111

@gcunit Is it bad to get an external that doesn't have its own power supply? I have one for my PS4 and it works fine. Only reason I ask is I literally am out of outlets.

SuperLuigi111

gcunit

@SuperLuigi111 I've told you my experience above. Not much more I can add.

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 It isn't bad necessarily, but it doesn't work flawlessly. A lot depends on the quality of the Y cable you use and it requires two usb ports to function (the Wii U USB ports don't provide enough power for the HDD).

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 It isn't bad necessarily, but it doesn't work flawlessly. A lot depends on the quality of the Y cable you use and it requires two usb ports to function (the Wii U USB ports don't provide enough power for the HDD).

What is a Y-cable anyways?

I looked up a lot of the options listed on Nintendo's website, have accepted I need a wired one, and they're all quite expensive now. Feel lost on what to do.

SuperLuigi111

Darknyht

@SuperLuigi111 To connect a USB Powered HDD to the Wii U you need a USB 1 Female 2 Male power cable. Basically it allows the device to draw power from two USB ports since the USB ports on the Wii U are under powered. If you look around on Amazon, you should be able to find one for around $5-10. I have used a WD Passport 500 GB drive with a Y-Cable for about 4 years now without issue.

So while a self-powered external drive was the Nintendo preferred drives, a portable drive can work. It ultimately comes down to your budget and number of available ports (basically you use the two on the back for a portable HDD, leaving the two on the front open).

Darknyht

gcunit

More data management misery

My new hdd mentioned above arrived yesterday and I tried setting up a bulk 'Move' of everything on the old one to the new one this morning. The whole transfer is about 100gb. The first 30gb or so transferred ok, but then I got a new error. I'm now trying to move items one-by-one to identify the problem, but most of these attempts are throwing up the same error.

And it's another one of the countless error codes that nobody seems to know what it means.

I suspect (hope) it's the old drive/y-cable setup causing the problem.

More trial and error awaits...

Edited on by gcunit

Darknyht

@gcunit If the drive is otherwise healthy, perhaps you could try a bare metal backup of it and restore on the new drive. There are open source tools out there that will facilitate it.

Darknyht

SuperLuigi111

I've been playing Twilight Princess HD and wow it's as good as I remember it being. That's what these remasters should do, make the games as good as you remember them being or better. The only thing that trips me up is everything being backwards from the Wii version, I'll never understand why they weren't all oriented the same way across platforms. Anyways, great game, and I'm excited to beat it for the first time, as I never could when I was young.

SuperLuigi111

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic