Forums

Topic: Your Guess as to this year's surprise E3 Wii U Announcement(s)

Posts 421 to 440 of 448

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

And there's no way they're talking about a Wii U successor in 2016, they'll still have a big 2016 Wii U title to talk about at E3 2016. They might even still have Zelda to talk about because the delay might well be that long. But by late 2017? Sure, we could definitely see a Wii U successor by then.

They don't need to run out of Wii U games before they start talking about its successor. They've shown off Skyward Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland in the same year they revealed the Wii U.

Well sure, you have a point. But this is how I'm thinking.....

E3 2006 - 2009: Wii/DS
E3 2010: Wii/DS/3DS
E3 2011: Wii/Wii U/3DS
E3 2012- 2015: 3DS/Wii U
E3 2016: 3DS/Wii U/NX
E3 2017: NX/Wii U/Wii U2
E3 2018 - ???: NX/Wii U2

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

And there's no way they're talking about a Wii U successor in 2016, they'll still have a big 2016 Wii U title to talk about at E3 2016. They might even still have Zelda to talk about because the delay might well be that long. But by late 2017? Sure, we could definitely see a Wii U successor by then.

They don't need to run out of Wii U games before they start talking about its successor. They've shown off Skyward Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland in the same year they revealed the Wii U.

Well sure, you have a point. But this is how I'm thinking.....

E3 2006 - 2009: Wii/DS
E3 2010: Wii/DS/3DS
E3 2011: Wii/Wii U/3DS
E3 2012- 2015: 3DS/Wii U
E3 2016: 3DS/Wii U/NX
E3 2017: NX/Wii U/Wii U2
E3 2018 - ???: NX/Wii U2

That entirely depends on what their next gen plans are. If it's two separate devices, then that's about right. If it's a Fusion or some other type of dual hardware setup (one hardware line with different form factors, for example), then they'll probably go for a simultaneous release. I'm thinking it's going to be more towards the latter since that's the direction they're headed in, so in that case I think we'll see the 3DS and Wii U successor(s) at E3 2016 and get a late 2017 release.

Also, with the next gen consoles sharing the 3DS and Wii U's architecture, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ends up doing what Microsoft and Sony did this gen and having several cross gen games within the first few years of the next gen, so we could even see 3DS and Wii U support into 2018/2019.

So I think it could look more like this:

E3 2015: 3DS and Wii U games
E3 2016: NX and launch lineup + 3DS and Wii U cross platform games + late 8th gen 3DS and Wii U games
E3 2017: NX and launch lineup + 3DS and Wii U cross platform games + late 8th gen 3DS and Wii U games
E3 2018: NX games + 3DS and Wii U cross platform games
E3 2019 and on: NX games

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

That entirely depends on what their next gen plans are. If it's two separate devices, then that's about right. If it's a Fusion or some other type of dual hardware setup (one hardware line with different form factors, for example), then they'll probably go for a simultaneous release. I'm thinking it's going to be more towards the latter since that's the direction they're headed in, so in that case I think we'll see the 3DS and Wii U successor(s) at E3 2016 and get a late 2017 release.

They're moving the portable and non-portable sides of their closer together. No doubt. But that doesn't mean that they'll be the same device. Of all the random devices on the market I don't think there is a single one that has got that right. Let alone one that would be powerful enough to be relevant as a home gaming console. Yes, mobile hardware has advanced in the last 5-10 years or so. It has closed the gap between what you can do on a portable and what you can do on a non-portable device. But mobile hardware is still well behind.

To illustrate the point, a quick ranked list of the GPU GFLOPs of a few devices. This metric isn't everything, there are more bottlenecks in a system than just the GPU's raw performance. But still, it makes the point very well....
DS: 0.6
Dreamcast: 1.4
iPhone 4: 2
PSP: 3
3DS: 5 <- "don't worry guys, it's still relevant"
GC: 8
Wii: 12
iPad 2: 16
Vita: 50
iPhone 6: 136 <- most expensive mobile device on the market
360: 240 <- for a dedicated, paired back portable in a late 2016? Nintendo should reach this
Wii U: 350
Tegra X1: 430 <- "the most powerful mobile GPU on the market".. only device it's in? not technically mobile
XBOne: 1310
PS4: 1840
GTX 660: 1880
GTX 960: 2300 <- current mid-range gaming CPU, a late 2017 Wii U2 would likely beat this
GTX 980: 4600

Edited on by skywake

CaviarMeths

Grumblevolcano wrote:

To be honest, I think the annual Pokémon main series games won't be coming to dedicated handhelds anymore. Maybe a follow up to XY this year and possibly duo of remakes for 3DS in 2016, but I personally think Gen 7 will be on smartphones. Game Freak has a lot of control over the Pokémon franchise and Nintendo opening up the smartphone can of worms makes me think it won't be long before it's a main smartphone series.

Pokemon sells at least 12 million copies for every game at $40 per sale.

People don't pay more than $0.99 for smartphone games. That's statistics. Over 90% of all smartphone game downloads are free, with almost all of the remaining portion being 99 cents. I'm not sure what it is for Google, but I know that Apple also takes a flat 30% cut of revenue off the top.

This means that Nintendo would need to sell 685 million copies of every Pokemon game on smartphones for $1 to earn as much as they do on 3DS. And that's not even accounting for how much leverage Pokemon has in selling Nintendo's own hardware.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

Here are some things people are predicting that I think people are bound to be disappointed by.

1. Zelda Wii U news- Nintendo didn't just say they weren't showing Zelda U at E3 for kicks and giggles. It's very likely that it won't be there, hence why they said it. Nintendo's not the company to cut down hype only to surprise later. If they were going to do that, the April 1st direct would have been the time to do that.

2. 2015 Metroid- Last year Miyamoto basically said Metroid is in planning stages. Unless Nintendo is stupid enough to make the Wii U's big Metroid game a 2D game, it's not happening this year. It's possible we might see some news for a 2016 Metroid, but even then, Nintendo said that they are focusing on 2015 releases.

3. F-Zero- Miyamoto literally said they aren't putting out F-Zero until they have a system with a unique feature that supports it. Clearly the Wii U and 3DS aren't it if he was looking to future devices.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

UGXwolf

iKhan wrote:

Here are some things people are predicting that I think people are bound to be disappointed by.

1. Zelda Wii U news- Nintendo didn't just say they weren't showing Zelda U at E3 for kicks and giggles. It's very likely that it won't be there, hence why they said it. Nintendo's not the company to cut down hype only to surprise later. If they were going to do that, the April 1st direct would have been the time to do that.

Agreed. People should stop hoping for something they've already been told they aren't gonna get.

iKhan wrote:

2. 2015 Metroid- Last year Miyamoto basically said Metroid is in planning stages. Unless Nintendo is stupid enough to make the Wii U's big Metroid game a 2D game, it's not happening this year. It's possible we might see some news for a 2016 Metroid, but even then, Nintendo said that they are focusing on 2015 releases.

I think you severely under-estimate the resources a 2D (or 2.5D) game requires. Even if Metroid were 2D, they likely wouldn't be ready to release it any time this year. We were basically told that they weren't putting any physical work into it sometime last year, so even as a 2D game, it still wouldn't be ready.

As a side note, I really wish people would stop bringing up that throwaway comment from Aonuma. E3 ALWAYS focuses on the current year. That's always the highlight because that's what's coming up and that's what people need to be hyped for. This has never once stopped anyone from talking about things further down the line, and I seriously doubt it's about to. Don't expect this year's presentation to be constructed all that differently from the last two years (minus Kart and Smash hype, since Zelda isn't likely to be present.)

iKhan wrote:

3. F-Zero- Miyamoto literally said they aren't putting out F-Zero until they have a system with a unique feature that supports it. Clearly the Wii U and 3DS aren't it if he was looking to future devices.

That's not what Miyamoto said. Miyamoto said they weren't putting out a new F-Zero because they weren't sure how to innovate on it and make it fresh again. This is most likely a scape goat reason, as most fans would be happy to see a new iteration in the form of an HD title. [insert Hyper Drive and F-Zero UGX jokes here] The most obvious and most likely reason F-Zero isn't getting a new iteration is a sheer lack of demand. Something with those kinds of visuals and expectations is gonna need more a much bigger projection of sales to be justified, even for a company that prefer to make whatever they feel like making.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JoyBoy

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

That's not what Miyamoto said. Miyamoto said they weren't putting out a new F-Zero because they weren't sure how to innovate on it and make it fresh again.

He said both of those reasons. The one from iKhan being the most recent. I think it was an interview at Smosh on youtube or something.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

erv

Myamoto went from “I’m honoured you still have such fond memories of f-zero” to “not sure how to innovate on it” to “find a system that is unique and supportive to the franchise”.

It’s coming, though I’m not sure it’ll ever be on wii U.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

That's not what Miyamoto said. Miyamoto said they weren't putting out a new F-Zero because they weren't sure how to innovate on it and make it fresh again. This is most likely a scape goat reason, as most fans would be happy to see a new iteration in the form of an HD title. [insert Hyper Drive and F-Zero UGX jokes here]

Probably. I've seen the "we can't think of what to add" line several times in interviews (notably in reference to Pokemon Snap 2 and Mega Flygon).

UGXwolf wrote:

The most obvious and most likely reason F-Zero isn't getting a new iteration is a sheer lack of demand. Something with those kinds of visuals and expectations is gonna need more a much bigger projection of sales to be justified, even for a company that prefer to make whatever they feel like making.

And because with anti gravity and 200 cc mode, Mario Kart is getting closer and closer to already doing what F-Zero could do in the first place.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Kevlar44

2D Metroid 3DS
Metroid Prime Wii U
Donkey Kong Country 3D - New game
F-Zero
WarioWare
Animal Crossing Wii U
Mario Sport Game
Rythym Heavel Localization
Pokken Wii U
Pokemon Wii U game
SNES Remix
New IP
Paper Mario Wii U

Not likely but i think they make sense
The Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords Online
Mother/Earthbound localized as a series
Diddy Kong Racing 2

Kevlar44

Haru17

erv wrote:

Myamoto went from “I’m honoured you still have such fond memories of f-zero” to “not sure how to innovate on it” to “find a system that is unique and supportive to the franchise”.

It’s coming, though I’m not sure it’ll ever be on wii U.

Introducing the Nintendo GX:

Untitled

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Blast

I really enjoy my Wii U. I really like it. Its a very fun console. Nintendo should make E3 2015 and E3 2016 its last moments to shine. Announce crazy awesome stuff then be incredibly ready for the next console. This lack of 3rd party support and other features that Microsoft and Sony offers that Nintendo doesn't just needs to stop. Like, seriously. I know fighting for huge 3rd party games (content) like Sony and Microsoft can be really pathetic at times but its looking like Nintendo needs to drop some honor and jump in.

I've been creating really good memories with my Wii U. I'm having such a good time with it. I just want E3 2015 and E3 2016 to be the end of this crazy situation. Basically... go out with a bang.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DefHalan

^Pretty sure they never ported it because they make better Mario Karts than that for their systems. It might be an easy cash thing, but when they already have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, why bring over this?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

^Pretty sure they never ported it because they make better Mario Karts than that for their systems. It might be an easy cash thing, but when they already have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, why bring over this?

I agree with you. I meant as a $20 DLC expansion pack for existing MK8 owners.

But what would be the point of that? Having a second Mario Kart game with different mechanics inside another Mario Kart game?

At_Lazuli

now that i think about it if nintendo hadnt announced NX when they did it probably wouldve been announced at this e3 to coincide with what is the norm 1999 dolphin codename announcement 2000 gamecube shown off 2001 gamecube final version launch titles
2004 revolution codename announcement 2005 wii first look 2006 wii final version and launch titles 2010 cafe code name announcement 2011 wii u first look 2012 wii u final version and launch titles 2015 nx codename 2016 nx first look 2017 nx final version and launch titles

The NX is going to be delayed to Holiday 2017 you heard it here first, also It should be pretty obvious what my favorite game of all time is cough Skyward Sword cough

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4150-0138 | Nintendo Network ID: CosmicLuigi83 | Twitter:

Haru17

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

But what would be the point of that? Having a second Mario Kart game with different mechanics inside another Mario Kart game?

I concede sir. You are right. But it would be cool if they used the tracks.

The joke was that they needed to release a system that was a racing cabinet to make a new F Zero game, guys...

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

@CosmicYoshi65
The Wii U codename was only announced very, very shortly before E3 2011. And my memory isn't failing me, if you look at Google trends the only peak for "project Cafe" is April/May 2011. E3 2011 was in early June. And there were the same frantic theories in that short period of time as there have been for the NX. Right down to "is Skyward Sword going to be on Cafe now?"

The only difference being that for Cafe we 100% knew it was the "HD Wii". The 3DS was brand new so it couldn't be replacing that and I believe they even explicitly said it was a home console. Thing was going to be HD because of course it's HD in 2012 and I believe we even knew it was going to have a screen on the controller. There was pretty much no surprise to be had and people watching E3 still somehow managed to be confused. For the NX it's different. People only think they know the NX is "Wii U2" when in reality we know jack.

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I concede sir. You are right. But it would be cool if they used the tracks.

I would be down with some tracks to be redesigned for some Mario Kart 8 DLC

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

@CosmicYoshi65
The Wii U codename was only announced very, very shortly before E3 2011. And my memory isn't failing me, if you look at Google trends the only peak for "project Cafe" is April/May 2011. E3 2011 was in early June. And there were the same frantic theories in that short period of time as there have been for the NX. Right down to "is Skyward Sword going to be on Cafe now?"

The only difference being that for Cafe we 100% knew it was the "HD Wii". The 3DS was brand new so it couldn't be replacing that and I believe they even explicitly said it was a home console. Thing was going to be HD because of course it's HD in 2012 and I believe we even knew it was going to have a screen on the controller. There was pretty much no surprise to be had and people watching E3 still somehow managed to be confused. For the NX it's different. People only think they know the NX is "Wii U2" when in reality we know jack.

In reality, we know more than jack. We know that Nintendo is unifying the architecture and the NX is going to use the same architecture as the 3DS and Wii U. That points to the NX providing a stronger relationship between handheld and console and a stronger relationship between generations. It's hard to say exactly what it is, but it's not outrageous to say that the NX could potentially replace the Wii U when the intent is to bring handheld and console closer together.

Bolt_Strike

martinskrtel37

f zero is coming guys.

to universal theme parks....

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.