Forums

Topic: Your Guess as to this year's surprise E3 Wii U Announcement(s)

Posts 401 to 420 of 448

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

It wouldn't make sense for the NX to be a handheld unless it's a hybrid. The New 3DS only came out a few months ago so I think if it's not a hybrid it'll be the Wii U's successor.

There's a precedent and remember it did launch in other territories earlier. If they launch a true 3DS successor in in November 2016 it would be just as short a life for the New 3DS as Nintendo gave the GBC or DSi. They've done this for every portable console except the GBA which was a pretty short-lived console in its own right. Also I'm yet to hear a convincing argument as to why a "hybrid" wouldn't be replacing the 3DS in the same way the DS killed the GBA.......

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I hope we see both Animal Crossing and Metroid at E3. But, I am curious. What is everyone's most wanted unannounced game for Wii U that is not named Animal Crossing and Metroid?.

The unannounced game that's not Animal Crossing or Metroid I'm hoping for would be something like Splatoon. They should come out of nowhere with an idea nobody else would have done. Everyone wants Nintendo to be like every other developer, I hope the keep making games nobody else would.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

It wouldn't make sense for the NX to be a handheld unless it's a hybrid. The New 3DS only came out a few months ago so I think if it's not a hybrid it'll be the Wii U's successor.

There's a precedent and remember it did launch in other territories earlier. If they launch a true 3DS successor in in November 2016 it would be just as short a life for the New 3DS as Nintendo gave the GBC or DSi. They've done this for every portable console except the GBA which was a pretty short-lived console in its own right. Also I'm yet to hear a convincing argument as to why a "hybrid" wouldn't be replacing the 3DS in the same way the DS killed the GBA.......

Both the GBC and DSi lasted around 2 and a half years, applying this to the New 3DS would mean late 2017 at the earliest. As for the hybrid, my thoughts would be that it's essentially a 3DS that can play the Wii U's digital catalogue and smartphone games or a portable Wii U that can play 3DS and smartphone games so technically if you had both a Wii U and a New 3DS you wouldn't need to upgrade but most would to have 1 console for everything.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haiassai

I know everyone wants Retro to make a new Metroid game... but... do you think they'd make a new IP for the Wii U?

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

OorWullie

Haiassai wrote:

I know everyone wants Retro to make a new Metroid game... but... do you think they'd make a new IP for the Wii U?

I'd be overjoyed if it was Donkey Kong Racing they were making.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

Haiassai wrote:

I'd honestly rather have another DK platformer than a new Metroid, Tropical Freeze was fantastic!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

OorWullie wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

It's be more likely that Monster would be with some assistance from Retro for graphics, models etc.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

OorWullie

arronishere wrote:

OorWullie wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

It's be more likely that Monster would be with some assistance from Retro for graphics, models etc.

Very true and I would have no problem with that at all.Excite Truck was fantastic.They will have been busy with Xenoblade 3D though so we wont be seeing nothing from them for a while.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Both the GBC and DSi lasted around 2 and a half years, applying this to the New 3DS would mean late 2017 at the earliest.

Check your maths.....
GBC EU/NA: 2 years, 7 months
GBC Jap: 2 years, 5 months
DSi EU/NA: 2 years
DSi Jap: 2 years, 3 months

A November 2016 release wouldn't be cutting the New 3DS much more than that. Especially if the release is staggered, as it has been for most Nintendo handhelds, with the US release in March 2017 or something. It's not a stretch.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

As for the hybrid, my thoughts would be that it's essentially a 3DS that can play the Wii U's digital catalogue and smartphone games or a portable Wii U that can play 3DS and smartphone games so technically if you had both a Wii U and a New 3DS you wouldn't need to upgrade but most would to have 1 console for everything.

See, you're still just talking about a portable console. What's stopping devs from creating games specifically for this device? Are you going to stop the inevitable Pokemon game on this portable console which has the power of the 3DS? Why does it need to be both a 3DS and a Wii U? An every-console device sounds horrible, why can't it just be an NX?

As I've said in other threads you can "solve" that cross-platform problem in another way. Not literally in hardware by literally making the Wii U portable and taping a 3DS onto the side. But by building this portable NX with the intention of making ports easy. Not a hybrid but a "watered down" Wii U that plays it's own games but that devs can easily port games down to from the Wii U. Or the other way if they want. In the same way that the New 3DS is getting Xenoblade or the original 3DS got DKCR.... just easier for the devs....

Grumblevolcano

@skywake To be honest, I think the annual Pokémon main series games won't be coming to dedicated handhelds anymore. Maybe a follow up to XY this year and possibly duo of remakes for 3DS in 2016, but I personally think Gen 7 will be on smartphones. Game Freak has a lot of control over the Pokémon franchise and Nintendo opening up the smartphone can of worms makes me think it won't be long before it's a main smartphone series.

Grumblevolcano

WebHead

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@skywake To be honest, I think the annual Pokémon main series games won't be coming to dedicated handhelds anymore. Maybe a follow up to XY this year and possibly duo of remakes for 3DS in 2016, but I personally think Gen 7 will be on smartphones. Game Freak has a lot of control over the Pokémon franchise and Nintendo opening up the smartphone can of worms makes me think it won't be long before it's a main smartphone series.

If they do that imo they should put black/white remakes on mobile first, to test the waters.(even though it'd probably make a crapton of money either way.)

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

AlliMeadow

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Yeah, no. Not going to happen. That would kill Nintendo's own handhelds. Nintendo's handhelds are doing better than their consoles in general, so they should not move their biggest handheld franchise to smartphones.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Bolt_Strike

AlliMeadow wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Yeah, no. Not going to happen. That would kill Nintendo's own handhelds. Nintendo's handhelds are doing better than their consoles in general, so they should not move their biggest handheld franchise to smartphones.

This. God knows Game Freak wants Pokemon to be on mobile, but that would be financial suicide for Nintendo's handhelds, so Nintendo would likely say no.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

We're talking about a game that has been sold for full-retail prices since it came out and has consistently performed well at that price. There are only a few game series that have consistently performed better than Pokemon and half of those are multi-platform games. The Super Mario/New SMB series has done better, Mario Kart does better, GTA has done better and Call of Duty has done better. That's literally it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Pokemon on mobile in some form... but it won't be the full game. If it is they're shooting themselves in the foot. Both Nintendo and GameFreak.

Anyways, let me summarize your theory. They're going to come out with a portable console that can play Wii U and 3DS games but not it's own exclusive games. It won't be a successor to the 3DS because two years is too soon after the New 3DS. Good luck trying to convince people it's not replacing the 3DS. It won't have Pokemon or any of the other portable-friendly games Nintendo has because they're going mobile. I wouldn't buy it, even you said you wouldn't buy it. What's the point of it then if even enthusiasts aren't interested?

Compare that to my theory. That they're going to come out with a portable console that does replace the 3DS entirely. Because the 3DS has been out for a long time already and it wasn't exactly bleeding edge when it launched. That they'll have some hook that we don't know about but the main draw will be the software. Software which they will have because they'll build it with easy ports/remakes/sequels from the GC/Wii/Wii U in mind. Which is what the merging of their portable and non-portable divisions was about. Launch the thing with Wii ports that run better than they did on the Wii ontop of exclusive titles like Pokemon etc. Now that I would buy.

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Both the GBC and DSi lasted around 2 and a half years, applying this to the New 3DS would mean late 2017 at the earliest.

Check your maths.....

A November 2016 release wouldn't be cutting the New 3DS much more than that. Especially if the release is staggered, as it has been for most Nintendo handhelds, with the US release in March 2017 or something. It's not a stretch.

Lol, check your own math before you go after others! November 2016 would be a year and 9 months after the new 3DS' release. The DSI got more than that! THE DSI. The useless upgrade to the DS that gave it a crappy flip phone camera and browser.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

At_Lazuli

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

We're talking about a game that has been sold for full-retail prices since it came out and has consistently performed well at that price. There are only a few game series that have consistently performed better than Pokemon and half of those are multi-platform games. The Super Mario/New SMB series has done better, Mario Kart does better, GTA has done better and Call of Duty has done better. That's literally it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Pokemon on mobile in some form... but it won't be the full game. If it is they're shooting themselves in the foot. Both Nintendo and GameFreak.

Anyways, let me summarize your theory. They're going to come out with a portable console that can play Wii U and 3DS games but not it's own exclusive games. It won't be a successor to the 3DS because two years is too soon after the New 3DS. Good luck trying to convince people it's not replacing the 3DS. It won't have Pokemon or any of the other portable-friendly games Nintendo has because they're going mobile. I wouldn't buy it, even you said you wouldn't buy it. What's the point of it then if even enthusiasts aren't interested?

Compare that to my theory. That they're going to come out with a portable console that does replace the 3DS entirely. Because the 3DS has been out for a long time already and it wasn't exactly bleeding edge when it launched. That they'll have some hook that we don't know about but the main draw will be the software. Software which they will have because they'll build it with easy ports/remakes/sequels from the GC/Wii/Wii U in mind. Which is what the merging of their portable and non-portable divisions was about. Launch the thing with Wii ports that run better than they did on the Wii ontop of exclusive titles like Pokemon etc. Now that I would buy.

Heres my idea the nx is indeed the 3ds successor to be launched in 2016 and is going to use AMD which would make sense because amd is working on a next gen system to be released in 2016 it will be slightly less or as powerful as XBone and PS4 and at e3 2015 nintendo will announce they are working on the wii u successor to be released in 2017 which will be signifigantly more powerful than XBox one and ps4 and it would give wii u the usual 5 year life span

The NX is going to be delayed to Holiday 2017 you heard it here first, also It should be pretty obvious what my favorite game of all time is cough Skyward Sword cough

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4150-0138 | Nintendo Network ID: CosmicLuigi83 | Twitter:

At_Lazuli

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Check your maths.....

Lol, check your own math before you go after others! November 2016 would be a year and 9 months after the new 3DS' release. The DSI got more than that! THE DSI. The useless upgrade to the DS that gave it a crappy flip phone camera and browser.

not if u consider the japanese release date of the new 3ds

The NX is going to be delayed to Holiday 2017 you heard it here first, also It should be pretty obvious what my favorite game of all time is cough Skyward Sword cough

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4150-0138 | Nintendo Network ID: CosmicLuigi83 | Twitter:

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Check your maths.....

One year, nine months isn't much less than two years which is what I said. Nov 2016 would be about as short a life they could give the New 3DS that's in the ballpark of what they've done before. However if they did November for Japan and maybe March for the US? That'd be one year and one months for both. What Grumblevolcano was suggesting was that they couldn't possibly replace the New 3DS until late 2017.... which would be three years since the New 3DS launch in Japan.

So really, we're talking about a window that's few months either side of Jan 1 2017. It's well over a year away from that date and the New 3DS isn't exactly getting piles of games exclusive to it. I doubt it ever will because it's Nintendo putting their portable line in a holding pattern. So maybe next time read the post first.....

Edited on by skywake

skywake

CosmicYoshi65 wrote:

Heres my idea the nx is indeed the 3ds successor to be launched in 2016 and is going to use AMD which would make sense because amd is working on a next gen system to be released in 2016 it will be slightly less or as powerful as XBone and PS4 and at e3 2015 nintendo will announce they are working on the wii u successor to be released in 2017 which will be signifigantly more powerful than XBox one and ps4 and it would give wii u the usual 5 year life span

AMD's chips are nowhere near power efficient enough for that to even be feasible. Let alone at a decent price for a portable system. More likely a portable console released in 2016/2017 designed to be cheap will be more of a PS3 than a PS4. But they'll be able to cover that power gap because it'll be on a smaller screen. Especially given that I doubt Nintendo will give a portable console expensive screens. Odds are it'll be standard def knowing Nintendo.

Personally I don't think we'll hear anything about a new system this E3, they'll want to be talking about Wii U software on the horizon. Which in itself will kick some of the "Wii U is on the way out" rants in the nuts. My guess is that E3 2016 will talk about the NX, which will be a portable, and that it'll be out before E3 2017. And there's no way they're talking about a Wii U successor in 2016, they'll still have a big 2016 Wii U title to talk about at E3 2016. They might even still have Zelda to talk about because the delay might well be that long. But by late 2017? Sure, we could definitely see a Wii U successor by then.

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

And there's no way they're talking about a Wii U successor in 2016, they'll still have a big 2016 Wii U title to talk about at E3 2016. They might even still have Zelda to talk about because the delay might well be that long. But by late 2017? Sure, we could definitely see a Wii U successor by then.

They don't need to run out of Wii U games before they start talking about its successor. They've shown off Skyward Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland in the same year they revealed the Wii U.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Check your maths.....

One year, nine months isn't much less than two years which is what I said. Nov 2016 would be about as short a life they could give the New 3DS that's in the ballpark of what they've done before. However if they did November for Japan and maybe March for the US? That'd be one year and one months for both. What Grumblevolcano was suggesting was that they couldn't possibly replace the New 3DS until late 2017.... which would be three years since the New 3DS launch in Japan.

So really, we're talking about a window that's few months either side of Jan 1 2017. It's well over a year away from that date and the New 3DS isn't exactly getting piles of games exclusive to it. I doubt it ever will because it's Nintendo putting their portable line in a holding pattern. So maybe next time read the post first.....

I was taking the US and EU New 3DS date of mid February for my calculations.

Grumblevolcano

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.