Forums

Topic: You owe yourself a Wii U

Posts 101 to 120 of 236

rockodoodle

CanisWolfred wrote:

@2Sang How do you define groundbreaking? To me, that means a new mechanic that that's vital to the way the game is played. I'd argue ZombiU, Nintendoland (regretably), and Game & Wario are pretty good examples right there of "groundbreaking" Touchpad features. Which is pretty good, considering as far as I could tell, there weren't more than 5 or 6 Wii games with "groundbreaking" motion controls in its entire lifetime.

rayman makes excellent use of the gamepad. I think it's pretty cool for Madden and Tekken too. And it's alright for Wii Party U. But yeah, for the most part it's under used.

rockodoodle

jariw

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@2Sang How do you define groundbreaking? To me, that means a new mechanic that that's vital to the way the game is played. I'd argue ZombiU, Nintendoland (regretably), and Game & Wario are pretty good examples right there of "groundbreaking" Touchpad features. Which is pretty good, considering as far as I could tell, there weren't more than 5 or 6 Wii games with "groundbreaking" motion controls in its entire lifetime.

rayman makes excellent use of the gamepad. I think it's pretty cool for Madden and Tekken too. And it's alright for Wii Party U. But yeah, for the most part it's under used.

We should have a sticky thread listing "all Wii U games with great GamePad gameplay". Add Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, Stick it to the Man, Wonderful 101, Deus Ex, Wind Waker HD, Wii U Sports Golf to the list. And very soon most probably Scram Kitty.

jariw

rockodoodle

5-6 games is pretty much all I play at one time anyway. Would imagine that things will get more compelling by fall like last year.

c1pher_c0mplet wrote:

I'm intrigued by the Wii U and think the GamePad is awesome (anyone that thinks it's too big, bulky, or uncomfortable simply needs to hold one). But as much potential as it has, that's all it has for me right now: potential. Currently, there's only ~5-6 games I'd buy for the system; everything else that's available (including downloadable "indie" games on the eShop sans Earthbound), that's what I have my PS3 for. I do believe this drought will go away in time but $300 is a bit much for me to spend on something that has scant few games with few forthcoming on the horizon.

rockodoodle

NickMon68

Miss_Dark wrote:

NickMon68 wrote:

I have WiiU and X1, and 360, ps3,ps2,ps1, dreamcast, wii, n64, cube, Jaguar, SNES, GBA, 3ds,, PCEngine - the list goes on - got to love them all !

8-)

you've got too much money

Nope, im just bad at throwing things away !

Nintendo Network ID: NickMon68

Nintendo Network ID: NickMon68 | Twitter:

rockodoodle

I'd love to have a Jaguar- what games do you have for it? The Lynx was pretty awesome too.

NickMon68 wrote:

Miss_Dark wrote:

NickMon68 wrote:

I have WiiU and X1, and 360, ps3,ps2,ps1, dreamcast, wii, n64, cube, Jaguar, SNES, GBA, 3ds,, PCEngine - the list goes on - got to love them all !

8-)

rockodoodle

JoyBoy

NickMon68 wrote:

Miss_Dark wrote:

NickMon68 wrote:

8-)

Well not your money obviously!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

2Sang

CanisWolfred wrote:

I would say groundbreaking is not only a very creative way of playing a game, but a way that redefines the system itself. I keep using wii sports as a reference, but yet again Wii sports took the waggle gimmick and made it unique by making it into a golf club or a tennis racket. Games like Pikmin 3 and ZombiU are a great start, but there needs to be a game that redefines the gamepad and the system into something that people will remember for generations. I have a feeling Zelda will probably have the best chance for changing the gamepad, but it's at the absolute earliest going to come out at the end of this year.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

2Sang

jariw wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

We should have a sticky thread listing "all Wii U games with great GamePad gameplay". Add Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, Stick it to the Man, Wonderful 101, Deus Ex, Wind Waker HD, Wii U Sports Golf to the list. And very soon most probably Scram Kitty.

Lego city undercover....no....just....no
You know the Wii U is in a drought when Lego City undercover is still considered one of the best games for the system. I'm not saying it's awful, but it's definitely no Zelda.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

kyuubikid213 wrote:

It's like watching a movie. If you only watch it once, you might think it's good or bad. You have to watch it a few more times and actually WATCH the movie to be able to determine whether or not you like or hate it. After watching the movie a few times, you'll even be able to point out exactly what you don't like in the movie and even be able to see all of the director's/animator's/actor's flaws.

That's a terrible anlogy considering most people don't watch movies more than once unless they already love it...basically all you're saying is that only a select few people have the right to actually say whether or not they enjoy something.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kyuubikid213

2Sang wrote:

jariw wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

You know the Wii U is in a drought when Lego City undercover is still considered one of the best games for the system. I'm not saying it's awful, but it's definitely no Zelda.

Coming from someone who both actually owns a Wii U and owns Lego City Undercover, I say the statement is quite valid. If you actually played Lego City, you'd know that it's a GTA-style Lego game. It makes great use of the GamePad with it's map and other features used throughout the game. Even putting aside the GamePad, it's a solid game in and of itself with a vast world (city) to explore, customizable costumes, many vehicles to use, and basically anything a fan of the sandbox genre would want. Sure it's got its flaws here and there, but anyone who has played through it will be quick to tell you it was an enjoyable experience throughout and most certainly deserves it's place among the best Wii U games.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

faint

2Sang wrote:

jariw wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

But you don't have a wii u. Honestly it's pretty darn good

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

kyuubikid213

CanisWolfred wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

It's like watching a movie. If you only watch it once, you might think it's good or bad. You have to watch it a few more times and actually WATCH the movie to be able to determine whether or not you like or hate it. After watching the movie a few times, you'll even be able to point out exactly what you don't like in the movie and even be able to see all of the director's/animator's/actor's flaws.

That's a terrible analogy considering most people don't watch movies more than once unless they already love it...basically all you're saying is that only a select few people have the right to actually say whether or not they enjoy something.

But with that one watch, they only have that one dip in. It would be hard to properly state why they enjoyed that movie in a debate with only one watch through. Heck, I really liked Frozen when I first saw it. After I watched it two more times, I noticed gaping flaws and horrible writing that makes the movie pretty much fall flat on its face.

Anyone can say whether or not they enjoy something, but only a select few people have the right to argue their points because they have a better understanding of what they're arguing.

EDIT: Here's a real world example for you. My roommate got an Xbox One. My brother and friends had a 360, so I was used to the 360's pad and I loved it. It was perfect. Now the One comes around and they change up the controller. Online, I didn't understand why they moved the home button, but whatever. When I was able to physically hold the controller, I hated it because it felt so different from the 360's. It's blockier, the shoulder buttons don't feel right (to me), and the whole thing just felt bad. After dealing with it for a bit longer, I grew to appreciate the controller and what it could do. On the flipside, I was a Sony kid growing up and loved the DualShock 2. Here comes the DualShock 3 and I liked it at first, but as I played more with that controller, I disliked it more and more. It was too small, the analog sticks had no resistance, and the trigger buttons were mushy, disgusting, and my fingers kept slipping off of them.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

Jampie

2Sang wrote:

jariw wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

So, you've played it?

MiiverseBackloggeryColors! Gallery
Peach Pink 2DS FC: 3110 - 6005 - 7552 // NNID: Emilyssa
AC:NL Dream Address: 5...

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0320-5871 | Nintendo Network ID: Jampie | Twitter:

jariw

2Sang wrote:

jariw wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Good work, Sherlock! Lego City:Undercover is no Zelda. It's a LEGO game. I didn't say it was the best, but Lego City: Undercover's GamePad features are among the best and they add loads of dimensions to the gameplay, like the map, phone, inventory, etc. Please don't confuse it with the 3DS version.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

CanisWolfred

Bull ****ing **** man. Unless you have ADD, all you need to do is pay attention to a movie in order to say anything about it. I don't have the best memory in the world, but I don't have to ever rewatch a movie in order to say whether or not I enjoyed it. I got that from the first time. And I can assure you, the 3rd time I watched End of Evangelion was just as horrible and exasperating as the first time I watched it, so you tell me: what was the point of watching it 2 more times??? God help us all if we have such poor cognitive skills that we have to do something a bajillion times in order to say whether or not it was a good thing.

Did you have to be tasered 5 times before you realized being tasered was bad?
How many times did you lick a flag poll before you realized it wasn't a good idea?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SkywardLink98

I didn't realize that I was so horrible that I have to get myself a Wii U :/

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

kyuubikid213

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bull ****ing **** man. Unless you have ADD, all you need to do is pay attention to a movie in order to say anything about it. I don't have the best memory in the world, but I don't have to ever rewatch a movie in order to say whether or not I enjoyed it. I got that from the first time. And I can assure you, the 3rd time I watched End of Evangelion was just as horrible and exasperating as the first time I watched it, so you tell me: what was the point of watching it 2 more times??? God help us all if we have such poor cognitive skills that we have to do something a bajillion times in order to say whether or not it was a good thing.

How many times did you lick a flag poll before you realized it wasn't a good idea?

Obviously you don't have to do things a bajillion times to know how you feel about it. And don't be stupid. Who even licks flagpoles?

Spending an hour with the Wii U IS NOT enough time to say half of the games aren't worth buying, that the GamePad isn't used effectively, or anything.

The more time you spend with something, the more you learn about it. The first time ANYONE watches a movie, they watch the movie, but they don't notice all the little details here and there. Subtle touches that make the movie better, quick Easter eggs, and careful attention to detail. NO ONE does that, but if you're so mentally gifted that you can, more power to you.

Sure, I could play the PS4 for an hour and conclude that the touchpad is worthless, the graphics unimpressive, and the games not worth it because a PS3 has more games and better games. Would I be right? I spent an hour with the thing. NO. I would not be because I wouldn't have spent enough TIME or ENERGY to truly learn what a PS4 could offer me. I would be WRONG. I wouldn't be able to argue any "points" I had in an internet forum because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

Ralizah

Ordered a Deluxe Wii U from Nintendo.com for $200, which was almost highway theft considering the only thing it's missing from the normal deluxe set is the Pro Controller. The machine and Gamepad themselves are virtually spotless. Anyhow, hooked up the thing last night, transferred data over, linked my NNID to the system, and played a couple of games. Thoughts:

Gamepad: Still sells me on the system. When it's utilized well (Wind Waker HD) it absolutely transforms the gaming experience. Also, there is something awesomely cool about playing VC games on it. Moreover, it's an incredibly comfy controller. Not the hand-melting comfort of the Gamecube controller, but miles better than the those awful little remotes you had to use with the Wii. Also more comfortable than any of the Xbox controllers and the PS3 controller (haven't handled the PS4's controller yet).

Miiverse integration with system: So much more convenient than the 3DS version. The Miis from your plaza run around making Miiverse comments. You can even switch the display to the Gamepad and interact with them by touching them. Adorable. I love being able to jump right to new posts like this.

Eshop: Horribly designed. Very confusing. The design of the old Wii shop was much better than this jumbled mish-mash of stuff.

Games: Have tried Wind Waker HD and Pikmin 3 thus far. Both are incredibly attractive games that look and play like a dream. This system actually has several games I want for it, not to mention the Wii games I still need to play.

Nice to see different users can play the same game and maintain their own save files. Pikmin is very popular in my household, so we'll all be able to approach the game at our own pace.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. My family is going to have quite a lot of fun with this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

unrandomsam

kyuubikid213 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you don't have to do things a bajillion times to know how you feel about it. And don't be stupid. Who even licks flagpoles?

Spending an hour with the Wii U IS NOT enough time to say half of the games aren't worth buying, that the GamePad isn't used effectively, or anything.

The more time you spend with something, the more you learn about it. The first time ANYONE watches a movie, they watch the movie, but they don't notice all the little details here and there. Subtle touches that make the movie better, quick Easter eggs, and careful attention to detail. NO ONE does that, but if you're so mentally gifted that you can, more power to you.

Sure, I could play the PS4 for an hour and conclude that the touchpad is worthless, the graphics unimpressive, and the games not worth it because a PS3 has more games and better games. Would I be right? I spent an hour with the thing. NO. I would not be because I wouldn't have spent enough TIME or ENERGY to truly learn what a PS4 could offer me. I would be WRONG. I wouldn't be able to argue any "points" I had in an internet forum because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

You could play a bit of all the exclusives on the PS4 in an hour (And then look at the PC versions of the ports) and then conclude it is not worth it at this moment in time pretty easily.

10 exclusives that I really want is a reasonable prerequisite to getting anything. (Not to mention if you wait a bit then you save money). Anything that can be offered now can still be offered in a few years when that threshold is passed. (Ports I only want the best one like I always have).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.