Forums

Topic: Yoshi's Woolly World - OT

Posts 441 to 460 of 732

Ralizah

Anything on Wii U is pretty much going to be outsold by huge, over-hyped third party games, with the possible exception of something like Mario Kart or Zelda.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Jacob717

More reason why number scores shouldn't be a thing in reviews. The reviewer at IGN says mostly positive things about the game, and gives it a 7.4. People ignore the review and just look at the number and think it's a bad game, or that the reviewer didn't like the game.

Jacob717

kkslider5552000

Geonjaha wrote:

BlueBlurIxM wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

Seems like YWW isn't getting rave reviews. Eurogamer didn't give a stamp of any sort, IGN gave 7.4, Gamespot 6.

IGN: 7,4 - Too much wool.
and Gamespot, nuff said.

You can mock single sites as much as you want, but the consensus is clear, and people aren't rating it too highly.

But most are rating it higher than that so...?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

I think I'll wait to hear what actual players think about this game. I don't trust game reviewers half as much as some of the people in these forums whose taste I know is similar to mine with regard to platformers.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

ThePirateCaptain

Honestly, I think watching gameplay was more helpful in forming my opinion of this game than reading Gamespot or IGN's reviews. If it looks like something you'll enjoy, then you probably will. If not, then just move on.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Octane

DigitalSpy complained that the game was too difficult, GameSpot said it was too easy. Just watch gameplay from the Nintendo Treehouse or something, reviews are always all over the place.

Octane

Dezzy

Jason723 wrote:

More reason why number scores shouldn't be a thing in reviews. The reviewer at IGN says mostly positive things about the game, and gives it a 7.4. People ignore the review and just look at the number and think it's a bad game, or that the reviewer didn't like the game.

I disagree. If they only gave it a 7.4 but only said nice things, all you're doing is putting the burden on the score rather than writing to explain its shortcomings.
Your complaint is no more inherently justified that the converse e.g: If they only gave it a 7.4, why have they left so much out of the explanation in their writing?

All this is doing is choosing the format you instinctively prefer and demanding the one you don't meet a higher burden. I much prefer numbered scores over not having them so I'd instinctively go with the second complaint.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

That's the thing though: Once people have scores, then they expect a generic number to actually mean something without specific context. But that's not how it works. And most people never learn that. At the very least, I've seen more useful systems put into place - even Metacritics operates more on a "positive, negative, mixed" format than an actual graded system, because people are just as likely to be happy about an 80 metascore as they are about a 90 metascore, so all you really need to know is that the reviews were generally favorable and if you still have questions, you have access to the reviews to find out yourself. I'd much prefer stuff like that be more common than people trying to figure out the difference between "good, very good, great, excellent, okay, mediocre, etc. etc. etc...." because all that does is take discussion away from the actual content. I've seen it a million times, and it never helps. Simpler is generally better in these cases.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Vinny

Well, it looks a lot more original than the DS and 3DS ones.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Dezzy

CanisWolfred wrote:

That's the thing though: Once people have scores, then they expect a generic number to actually mean something without specific context. But that's not how it works. And most people never learn that.

I'm not sure what "how it works" even means. There is no 1 way how it works. People like number scores because it allows them to interpret a wide range of opinions quickly and put it into a rough valuation that they've already imagined in their heads.
Of course it's a clumsy tool. But the only alternative in a busy world and crowded market is to read through various reviews. Which takes longer so you can read fewer. It's just a trade-off. Rough understanding in large volume VS careful understanding in low volume.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

That's the thing though: Once people have scores, then they expect a generic number to actually mean something without specific context. But that's not how it works. And most people never learn that.

I'm not sure what "how it works" even means. There is no 1 way how it works. People like number scores because it allows them to interpret a wide range of opinions quickly and put it into a rough valuation that they've already imagined in their heads.
Of course it's a clumsy tool. But the only alternative in a busy world and crowded market is to read through various reviews. Which takes longer so you can read fewer. It's just a trade-off. Rough understanding in large volume VS careful understanding in low volume.

Or you could...skim. That's an option. ****, I can't remember the last time I read a review top to bottom. I usually just skim through 2 or 3 paragraphs so I get the biggest complaints and praises. It takes a minute, so if I can read through 5 reviews and have a much better sense of what the game is actually like than looking at 100 numbers...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rallydefault

Honestly, I try to find reviewers that, historically, I seem to be on the same page with (good or bad), you know?

Oh, and like most people are saying, I don't give a flying wombat about the score. I just look at the write-up.

rallydefault

DefHalan

The last paragraph or two is all you need to read for a review. They are normally summarizing their thoughts and stay vague enough to not spoil major things, while the main body of a review might spoil things. It is easy to tell the person's overall opinion from just the last paragraph or two.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Grumblevolcano

My order has been dispatched!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

erv

Seriously considering buying this at launch even though I have some gaming left in other titles. It's just so woolly!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Budda

Grumblevolcano wrote:

My order has been dispatched!

I don't buy things online often, but when it says it was dispatched it means that it will be laying in my postbox the next day.
Lucky thing you.

Edited on by Budda

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Spoony_Tech

I don't know if this has been said here or not but I'm thoroughly convinced the Yoshi Amiibo is the reason for the delay of the game in NA. Nintendo already has a problem with supply as it is and they know that Europe is a smaller market so they can market there first. In October they can also make a Holiday push with both the game and many more Amiibo's by then. Long story short I'll bet money the delay has to do with that amiibo!

I can even see thousands of people buying the Amiibo that won't buy the game. I think Nintendo has gone from just a gaming company to a split gaming/toy company. Its all about keeping the shareholders happy these days and that's the bottom line.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

DoctorOverbuild

My order of the limited edition with the green Yoshi yarn amiibo has been dispatched! So have my light blue and pink yarn Yoshi amiibo!

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic