Forums

Topic: Yoshi's Woolly World - OT

Posts 381 to 400 of 732

Budda

@CanisWolfred
If you don't like the general feel from Epic Yarn you probably won't like Woolly World.
Of course it will be much more than Epic Yarn is, gameplay wise, but it seems like Good Feel took some elements from it.
For example some soundtracks and sound effects may sound familiar to Epic Yarn's. There are some I know of.
I can imagine that they handle transformations of Yoshi similar to Yarns as well.

For my part, I really love Epic Yarn. Just because it is slow paced, the relaxing music and like everything. I don't know really.
But I played through the game several times and I'm still not bored of it. And since I like that game I won't have to worry about Woolly World. Really, there is no way it won't be as good as Epic Yarn. Plus I really like the gameplay of Yoshi games... Best of both worlds. lol

But I know what you are talking about.
I was really hyped for Splatoon. Played the last testfire and the game got boring and just meh after thinking about it.
If it wasn't for the last testfire, I would have bought the game.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

Eel

Well, Kirbys Epic Yarn was a Kirby game that didn't play all that much like a Kirby game.

Yoshis Wooly World seems to be more Yoshi than K.E.Y. was Kirby... So it has that.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CanisWolfred

Maybe since I have to wait, I'll try Epic Yarn again and see if I can get into it. If I still have it, that is...

Morpheel wrote:

Well, Kirbys Epic Yarn was a Kirby game that didn't play all that much like a Kirby game.

Ironically, That's why I thought Epic Yarn would be fun. With the exception of the Kirby's Adventure games, I usually don't like Kirby games unless they're doing something drastically different. In this case, I felt it was too much like Kirby...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TuVictus

When I first played Epic Yarn, I hated it for being too easy/childish/not Kirby. But when I went back years later and played it, and tried getting gold on every level, it was surprisingly challenging. I think it didn't get enough credit.

TuVictus

Octane

Operative wrote:

When I first played Epic Yarn, I hated it for being too easy/childish/not Kirby. But when I went back years later and played it, and tried getting gold on every level, it was surprisingly challenging. I think it didn't get enough credit.

Indeed, some of the later levels are brutal is you're going for gold, it took me several hours to complete the last couple of levels.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Operative wrote:

When I first played Epic Yarn, I hated it for being too easy/childish/not Kirby

I like how the last option contradicts the first 2. (and I say this as a big Kirby fan)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

Operative wrote:

Yeah, I'm always going for gold, and it's been pretty tough. Kinda reminds me of Yoshi's Island that way.

BTW, I need to play Yoshi's Island again soonish...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

I played it like last year, so I'm cool. Maybe if Yoshi's Story is re-released on Wii U VC I might get it...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

ThePirateCaptain

Aside from the obviously fantastic visuals and excellent soundtrack, the thing that stood out to me about Epic Yarn was the level design. I thought the levels were really well made, especially in the Snow and Space worlds.

All this talk of Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Island makes me want to go back and play them again as well

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Grumblevolcano

Sonic Yoshi looks the best out of all the amiibo ones.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

Nintendo really needs to better understand how to do "easy mode" right. Casual players do still want to enjoy a challenge. They don't want the game to be played FOR them.

So things like "Mellow Mode" or "Gold Tanooki Suit" or other things like that are the wrong way to go about it. Nintendo used to understand this. Automatic mode in MKWii was an amazing way to introduce players to the game without immediately loading the burden of drifting on their shoulders.

For a 2D Platformer, easy mode should come from minimizing the punishment for failure. If you fall down a hole, you shouldn't start over at the beginning in easy mode, just a few steps before the hole. This both teaches casual players how to play, and offers then a substantial gameplay experience.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

spizzamarozzi

iKhan wrote:

If you fall down a hole, you shouldn't start over at the beginning in easy mode, just a few steps before the hole. This both teaches casual players how to play, and offers then a substantial gameplay experience.

No. Nintendo platformers are not meant to be trial & error games. The point of these games is to experience a level as a whole, not to focus on a gap, an enemy or a platform - the levels have their own rhythm and starting over and over just a few steps back would break the flow of the thing. It would be like watching a movie divided in many 10 minutes clips. Beginners can also decide not to get the gold tanuki if they accept the challenge, which is great. Your system is better suited for games that actually require dexterity, not for these types of games.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

CanisWolfred

spizzamarozzi wrote:

iKhan wrote:

If you fall down a hole, you shouldn't start over at the beginning in easy mode, just a few steps before the hole. This both teaches casual players how to play, and offers then a substantial gameplay experience.

No. Nintendo platformers are not meant to be trial & error games. The point of these games is to experience a level as a whole, not to focus on a gap, an enemy or a platform - the levels have their own rhythm and starting over and over just a few steps back would break the flow of the thing. It would be like watching a movie divided in many 10 minutes clips. Beginners can also decide not to get the gold tanuki if they accept the challenge, which is great. Your system is better suited for games that actually require dexterity, not for these types of games.

Except having to start over a stage every time is like having to watch a movie on a player that keeps freezing and every time you have to take the disc in and out again to get it to work. Then you have to watch the entire scene you were on over again.

Having quick and infinite respawns is like giving you the option to scan.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TuVictus

iKhan wrote:

Nintendo really needs to better understand how to do "easy mode" right. Casual players do still want to enjoy a challenge. They don't want the game to be played FOR them.

So things like "Mellow Mode" or "Gold Tanooki Suit" or other things like that are the wrong way to go about it. Nintendo used to understand this. Automatic mode in MKWii was an amazing way to introduce players to the game without immediately loading the burden of drifting on their shoulders.

For a 2D Platformer, easy mode should come from minimizing the punishment for failure. If you fall down a hole, you shouldn't start over at the beginning in easy mode, just a few steps before the hole. This both teaches casual players how to play, and offers then a substantial gameplay experience.

I agree. I mean, I don't mind the current way because I never use them, but if their goal is to ease people into playing a difficult game, your way would probably be more productive to that goal. As long as they never dumb down level design for the masses, I'm okay with things like Mellow Mode, even if it's not the best way to go about it

TuVictus

DoctorOverbuild

Very pleased to say I managed to pre-order the pink and blue yoshi from ShopTo with the blue being sold out a min later! If anyone is looking for them I would recommend keeping an eye on ShopTo because it's been going on and off all day.

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

Zerodactyl

DoctorOverbuild wrote:

Very pleased to say I managed to pre-order the pink and blue yoshi from ShopTo with the blue being sold out a min later! If anyone is looking for them I would recommend keeping an eye on ShopTo because it's been going on and off all day.

Aye, ShopTo is a good place to buy game bundles; I got my Splatoon pack there.

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

jariw

Right now on the Nintendo Championships stream, they're playing a ghost level that's going to be in the E3 floor demo. Looks fantastic!

jariw

Joeynator3000

Good Feel's music is still awesome as always. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic