Topic: Xbox 360 outsold Wii U In Sales For Black Friday This Year

Posts 81 to 100 of 123

SCRAPPER392

GoneFishin wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@GoneFishin
Wii U software attach rate = 9.4 average
Xbox One and PS4 = somewhere around 4-5 average

As I edited into my earlier post, the Wii U's attach rate is 5.72 games.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

Ya, that was a mistake. I'm getting all my numbers mixed up. Here's the report I was trying to say: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/10/nintendo_returns_to_...

Wii U still has a software lead, AFAIK, and they haven't sold as many consoles, or at as fast of a rate as Xbox One and PS4, which is why Wii U is actually doing alot better than most people think it is.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

kkslider5552000

words words words words words WORDS fart

-the last 2 pages

Anyway for something more relevant, if this is somehow a reflection of sales (which again, based on literally last year, this is an exaggeration), I think I'll be depressed. I am no longer rooting for Nintendo because Nintendo. I am rooting against games and companies that have so much contempt for the people who buy them. "lol, game's broken, oh well, you'll buy it next year!" Nintendo's integrity alones makes them the company gamers should be rooting for at this point. And again, this isn't solely Sony and Microsoft's fault that they're supported by some...fairly awful companies, but barring Halo, people are not buying those consoles for the first party games anyway, so my point still stands. I hope after the 3rd or 4th time being disappointed by a major release this year that people will get it.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

unrandomsam

Is attach rate a per year thing or for the lifetime of the console ?

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Atariboy

It's the console's life to date install base divided by the life to date amount of retail software sold for it [Edit: Oops, I of course got that backwards].

And these days, digital downloads of retail software must be included for it to mean anything. Nintendo includes these in their software totals, as confirmed by a notation if you go digging at the link I left up a post or two ago.

However, something like Super Mario Bros. off the Wii U's Virtual Console or Geometry Wars 3 on the current two generations of Playstation and Xbox hardware typically isn't factored in.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

SCRAPPER392

@kkslider5552000
I'm actually getting pretty tired of these topics, TBH. I realize people make mistakes about what they mean in some posts, but it's a different person alot of the time, so the same thing keeps being explained or discussed over and over again.

Qwest

Jacob717

Are you guys even having a discussion or are you just barley reading what the other person said and just disagreeing with them? An argument between two people over something that's simple shouldn't be going on for almost 3 pages.

Jacob717

unrandomsam

Yeah but it is obviously going to be higher for something that has been out longer.

The ratio is worse than the Gamecube.

But I guess there are other factors - Selects (Players Choice) were far more frequent for the Gamecube.

3DS is terrible. Not too surprising if people are just buying used at the new price on the high street.

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

SCRAPPER392

unrandomsam wrote:

Is attach rate a per year thing or for the lifetime of the console ?

It is generally for the lifetime of the console, but you could look at it on a per year basis if you really want to. That's why it's been brought up that Wii U is already beating GCN's software attach rate at this point in each life cycle, even though Wii U has less consoles sold than alot of past game consoles.

PS2 had a 6.5 attach rate, from a quick Google search. If Wii U already has around 6, then that's the type of perspective many of us are looking at, instead of raw numbers.

Qwest

Atariboy

Dipper723 wrote:

Are you guys even having a discussion or are you just barley reading what the other person said and just disagreeing with them? An argument between two people over something that's simple shouldn't be going on for almost 3 pages.

Frankly, I never really knew what he was out arguing about. I mentioned how comparing the Wii U sales to the current performance of the previous generation's Xbox 360 is like comparing apples to oranges, and here we are. I still think that was a very fair statement to make...

I've basically just been refuting statements that can be proven incorrect by facts available in Nintendo and Microsoft's financial filings, other than a brief fling where someone wanted to argue that the Wii U is a last generation game console or something of the sort. I'm afraid I didn't really grasp the point that he was trying to make with that one.

unrandomsam wrote:

The ratio is worse than the Gamecube.

9.6 for the GameCube, but it had much healthier 3rd party support and obviously that's its lifetime total.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

kkslider5552000

SCAR392 wrote:

@kkslider5552000
I'm actually getting pretty tired of these topics, TBH. I realize people make mistakes about what they mean in some posts, but it's a different person alot of the time, so the same thing keeps being explained or discussed over and over again.

I know.

Like I don't even agree with a good chunk of your points usually but I already gave up on explaining why Wii U isn't a doomed, poorly made disaster made by idiots. Wii U has its issues but people don't get things and immediately assume the worst.

Atariboy

I think it's commercially doomed, but I'm confident that Nintendo will recover nicely from this momentary bump in the road. And my opinions on the business side thankfully are meaningless where enjoying the games themselves is concerned.

The Wii U is happily my only system of the three current gen systems out today.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@kkslider5552000

I know.

Like I don't even agree with a good chunk of your points usually but I already gave up on explaining why Wii U isn't a doomed, poorly made disaster made by idiots. Wii U has its issues but people don't get things and immediately assume the worst.

Ya. Alot of people don't even know Microsoft basically fixed Halo MC Collections issues with the servers, so they say that like it's still happening. They fixed it like a week after, and that's still a good deal better than how EA handled BF4 or some other situation that isn't immediately coming to mind.

Qwest

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

words words words words words WORDS fart

-the last 2 pages

Anyway for something more relevant, if this is somehow a reflection of sales (which again, based on literally last year, this is an exaggeration), I think I'll be depressed. I am no longer rooting for Nintendo because Nintendo. I am rooting against games and companies that have so much contempt for the people who buy them. "lol, game's broken, oh well, you'll buy it next year!" Nintendo's integrity alones makes them the company gamers should be rooting for at this point. And again, this isn't solely Sony and Microsoft's fault that they're supported by some...fairly awful companies, but barring Halo, people are not buying those consoles for the first party games anyway, so my point still stands. I hope after the 3rd or 4th time being disappointed by a major release this year that people will get it.

I posted this on reddit a few days ago, but I'll summarize it here because it's so relevant with this.

Nintendo is underappreciated because they make high quality games only possible on the system they are on, and such new experiences are what they want to sell the system on. The western adult mass market isn't interested in that though. They buy games for how good the CGI promotional material and bullshotted footage looks. They buy consoles to play games available on systems they already own, but now with slightly better graphics.

So either Nintendo needs to think like an impulsive teenager, or the mass market needs to wise up.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Janfeae

All 3 company's game divisions are doing okay. Nintendo doesn't deserved to be bashed, or say that it's doomed, because it isn't. I'm glad some people stand up for the good points, however, these same people often bash Sony and Microsoft in doing so!

A reminder, this is the first year for both the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. This is the second year for the Wii U. For the first year, they are doing amazing; outselling the console that came an entire year before it. But even still, the "negative" hard core nintendo fans (Dont want to be rude and say fanboy) still fire shots at Playstation and Xbox for not having a ton of exclusives yet. Well then, let us journey back one year and see what the Wii U had to offer in it's first year at this time...This is a time with no Mario Kart 8, no Smash Bros Wii U, no Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, No Hyrule Warriors, and going back back a few days, not even Super Mario 3d World!!!! Nintendo had much less to offer in comparison.

The other thing these users point out is that they lean on remakes. Well, Nintendo did the same thing with Windwaker Hd, because they needed to put out something so you would have something to play in the meantime. As I noted, the games just weren't ready yet. Nintendo needed more time to pump out the exclusives, and so does Sony and Mircrosoft. It's not fair to badmouth the competition, when Nintendo is guilty of doing the same thing to stay afloat until the games are finished, especially when the competition did a better job of it in literally half the time.

Edited on by Janfeae

Janfeae

skywake

Sales figures, blah, blah, blah....

All I know is that I have a Wii U, 3DS and PC and nothing else interests me at all. Infact even though I love my shiny new runs-rings-around-PS4/XBOne PC I'm still enjoying my Wii U and 3DS more. That's just how it is. Between Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing and some of the indie stuffs like Shovel Knight and SteamWorld Dig? I'm more than happy. So I couldn't even give half a crap about what the sales numbers are. If they keep making content like this? I know Nintendo is the best place to be right now.

And just as a side note, throwing this onto the fire. Looking at the crazy amounts of people you see in the shops with both Nintendo Plushies and Amiibos? If the concern is "ZOMG NINTENDO IS DOOMED"... I wouldn't worry. Not even slightly. They're not a one trick pony, they're playing the game from all angles. When these big franchises go the way of Guitar Hero Nintendo will still be there. Because they have the IP and they're about quality content.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

All I know is that I have a Wii U, 3DS and PC and nothing else interests me at all.

But what about the games you're missing out on?! They'll reach 10 between the two consoles soon I'm sure!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

skywake wrote:

All I know is that I have a Wii U, 3DS and PC and nothing else interests me at all.

But what about the games you're missing out on?! They'll reach 10 between the two consoles soon I'm sure!

I take back what I said about MC Collection wirking. It WAS working. Anywho, I'm fine with Wii U, 3DS, and Xbox One, regardless of the sales or criticism.

Wii U, Xbox One, PS Vita, and PS4 actually need the most work done for more people to care. I just find it interesting that PS4 is selling a ton of consoles, but they're still basically where Microsoft is, in terms of support.

Qwest

Zodiak13

The only thing that would happen if Nintendo lost a lot of money and did not make consoles anymore is this. I would save a lot of money. Only Nintendo makes games I want to play. The popular games out their are trash, and the mindless masses will continue to buy the garbage shoveled in front of them. I got a PS3 last year for Ni No Kuni. Bought about 30+ other games hoping to find something I would enjoy, nothing to be had. All the guys that I employee got PS4's or XBone's over the weekend, but yet couldn't tell me why. I asked what great games are there? No clue, they just assumed there were great games to be had. Part of me wishes Nintendo will go out of business, save me a lot of money and hundreds of hours a year I too could be doing something more important. Keep buying MS and Sony crap sheep, follow the herd. I will keep enjoying great games from Nintendo. Glad I'm not buying hyped up turds (Destiny anyone?).

Gotta catch them... eh, nevermind.

rockodoodle

You really only need one of the xbone, pc or ps4....

I pretty much have everything covered for my tastes and needs with xbone and wii u. Wii u is my main console and then every now and then play xbone.

Ralek85 wrote:

@GoneFishin Well, no, it's not about horse power, or more precisely not just about horse power. It plays an important role, no doubt, but like I said in my first post, that is just one aspect. I will say this so, it matters a lot more today, than it did back then in the heyday of Wii, when few people could even make any sense of terms like "1080p60", not to mention having the actual ability to make use of content provided in this format. I seems unlikely to mee that the early "True HD" (great Sony PR btw^^) adaptors were the main Wii audience, but 8 years later and things have changed rather dramatically.
And yes, the WiiU is the contemporary Nintendo offering of the Xbone and the PS4, but contemporary and direct competition are not the same though.
Ironically, you named some of the reasons why Nintendo failed to be competitve yourself, beyond mere horsepower issues (again pure HP is not the only issue when it comes to the WiiU hardware, e.g. PPC vs X86, just worth keeping in my imho), but the reasons don't matter much, and don't change the fact that the WiiU did not turn out to be a competitive system.
Just because someone plays at the same time, doesn't mean they are competition. I mean just looking at the number of comments and actual articles this year praising the the WiiU as a great "secondary system" gives some indication about the state of the WiiU's competitiveness - at the very least in public perception. Likewise does the fact, that the PS4 and Xbone seems to be tracking above their last-gen counterparts (despite for some reason many people considering the Xbone a "failure" which is silly of course), showing that the WiiU has made little to no dent at all in their sales.
Looking at the acutal offerings though, is the best indicator in my book, they are really mostly wholly unique. What'S there to play instead of SSB, MK, Pikmin, Captain Toad or Splatoon on the X1 and PS4, anything comparable? I don't think so. Nintendo is currently sitting in it's own niche - a kind of Twilight zone - with few people willing to settle for it, on the one hand, and few people willing to move beyond it on the other hand.
But really that is just my impression, I don't see Nintendo being able to lure many customers away from the X1 and PS4, they will have their core audience, some new, some old returning, but mostly their faithful, some will eventually adopt it as a second system, but I don't see it having any influence on the competition between X1, PS4 and PC. That is the new holy trinity right now, and Nintendo is not part of the club right now.

rockodoodle

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.