Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Posts 4,641 to 4,660 of 4,695

EvilLucario

X actually has my favorite soundtrack out of the three games purely because it's so different from pretty much everything else. I unironically love the NLA/battle themes/Don't Worry and I will defend them all to the grave.

X in general is really my favorite Xeno game, but it ain't because of the story because the story is by far the weakest in the entire Xeno series. The gameplay blows everything else out of the water though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BlueOcean

@Tyranexx I am about to start chapter 7 and doing all the optional stuff too, about to get a Skell too. Some RPGs are boring and repetitive and others have messy and unbalanced gameplay. For someone like me there must be something that really justifies spending so much time (and grinding) in a game. This is what I wrote about Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii):

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/xenoblade_chronicles_h...
(I was much harsher with the game elsewhere but I can't find it).

After that I almost did not give XCX a chance but this is the last big Wii U game that I had not played and after beating XC I was curious and I decided to get it. The first hour or so I was quite sceptic but after a while I realised how wonderful the game is and now I consider it the best Wii U game and nicer and more fun than Breath of the Wild, which I know it's not a traditional RPG but I am not a traditional RPG hardcore fan anyway.

After playing for some hours I hated some songs like both NLA tracks (I like the Barracks song though) but some of the (instrumental) ones are great and we all agree about that. The NLA songs would be fine if you only heard them once per playthrough but not in a loop while playing a massive game. I also had some issues with the camera during combat, and combat is really deep, but once you get the hang of it and using a manual camera at middle distance you are fine. There are many camera and HUD settings but no audio options is a huge mistake.

Everything else about the game is positive. The game doesn't use the Wii U OS RAM like Breath of the Wild and yet it is much more detailed and beautiful. The developers sacrificed a few new-generation features like dynamic lighting and some collision detection but the result is a game that looks awesome and the performance is much better than in Xenoblade Chronicles, it is almost perfect indeed, and that affects gameplay positively. Controls have also been vastly improved and the side quests are thousand years ahead, so is the game structure with effective quests management, fast travel features and just one city hub. I like my avatar, I like managing the probes, I like using the maps on the GamePad while playing with the pro controller, I like all the combat styles and I love playing this game. Heck, I even like the story now. The game encourages you to adventure along Telma and Lin but there is a nice fourth slot for your favourite character or you can try different ones, which is what side quests cleverly introduce. Plus, both Lin and traveling companion Tatsu are great characters.

The visual art is spectacular. There were many different artists involved, some designed the weapons, others designed a particular alien race, creatures, environments... The final result is a rich combination of high-quality assets made by really talented people as opposed to many modern games with mediocre art. Primordia and Noctilum (haven't been in Cauldros and just 2.8% of Sylvalum and 13.4% of Oblivia) are both really impressive and have so many unique areas that make your time in them enjoyable no matter how much time you have already spent in them. Those two are two of the best regions I have ever explored in a video game. In the Wii game exploring the flat areas and doing side quests was a boring chore, now exploring Mira and doing side quests is what I actively want to do. Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the few games that justifies having a particular console. It is a polished, beautiful and fun game. It belongs to my favourite games list now.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Cobalt

@BlueOcean

I just read your HUGE block of text !
Guess what ? I could have written the same three years ago.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is simply the most impressive game on the Wii U but I would say even more, the most impressive RPG, on Nintendo's platforms, EVER ! ^^

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

Blitzenexx

@BlueOcean: I always thought it would be neat that, once you got your Skell, you could switch between different radio stations when at least in NLA. That way you could enjoy different tracks instead of the same two ad nauseum.

Glad to see that you're enjoying the game! You're correct that it encourages you to use both Lin and Elma during the main campaign. Just don't fall into the trap of using a certain character who (for story reasons) isn't available in some of the later chapters. I fell to this but caught on early enough to train up another Blade to help out.

Video Corner: The Terrible Truth About Smash Bros.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Wii U VC), Detective Pikachu

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

BlueOcean

@Tyranexx Yes, I think it would be a good idea to change the tracks in NLA, something like Sonic Generations.

Do you mean not to level up a person that you can't use later on? Who?? I choose either Gwin or Phog as fourth member. I am in Chapter 7.

BlueOcean

Blitzenexx

@BlueOcean: I won't say due to trying to avoid spoilers, but those two should be fine. I regret not using Gwin more TBH.

This is the only Xenoblade game that I've played so far. I haven't played XC2 (no Switch yet), but what didn't you like about XC1? I know you linked it earlier but noticed that you were pretty up front about spoilers; I didn't read through the topic as a result. I've been curious about XC1 on and off. A lot of people hype it up, but up until a couple of years ago I considered it difficult to get...plus I find the length (according to HLTB) a bit off-putting.

Edited on by Blitzenexx

Cobalt

@BlueOcean

Don't get spoiled my friend...
Pro tip : pay attention to the "kizuna quests" during your play time and you could guess things by yourself...

Cobalt

Cobalt

@Tyranexx

1st problem with Xeno Wii : the inventory.
2nd problem : the AI can act really strange...
3rd problem : the game wants you to feel totally free to choose your way but in reality you can't...the game is on rails... (not like X).

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

BlueOcean

Yeah, to be honest I don't want spoilers. Nice to hear that my boys are safe. Initially I chose Gwin to compensate having two girls in the team and because Irina was irritable. I like Lin and her cute relationship with Tatsu though. Now that I found him I also pick Phog because I like him.

@Tyranexx No spoilers actually but I didn't want anybody to complain about naming a boss or whatever. I talk about an annoying boss (not the last one) and how the different characters behave as fighters which is actually helpful if you are going to play the game. I really would have loved to know what I found out before struggling so much. About the ending all I said is "I finally beat the game!".

I will try to find my "review" of Xenoblade Chronicles and link it here. Basically combat is chaotic, the controls are not great, the camera is daft, AI is low, battlefields are bad designed so you can fall to the abyss, the frame rate issues affect combat negatively and there are overlapping huge numbers on screen that hide other team members and the enemy attacks. Grinding is necessary and tiring and the side quests are dismal, ridiculous and boring. I also wrote good things, the story touched me, the cut-scenes are awesome, the voice acting is good and the songs belong to the different scenarios.

I have two friends with a Switch so I play it sometimes but I don't have one either in my house. I will play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 eventually but I am not sure that I will like it as much as X. Do I recommend you to play the first game? Hmm, well it's available as a download on Wii U so not that difficult to find or expensive but after playing XCX I think that you are going to get frustrated with XC. I would recommend you Pandora's Tower instead, much simpler but much more fun to have and with a nice and original story. It's a small underrated gem.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Blitzenexx

@Cobalt: That sounds...typical for a lot of games actually. XD Good to know in any case.

@BlueOcean: I like Tatsu and Lin's relationship. Some of the jokes get old fast, but they're a little more permissible after you learn their ages. I especially love how he calls her "Linly". XD The Nopon in general are a pretty fun race.

When I was originally contemplating trying XC1, the only copies to be found were used and marked up to ridiculous prices. I started thinking about getting it again when it became available via the Wii U eShop and more recently the 3DS port when I picked up a N3DS XL. Glad to see that I should be in no hurry; I have plenty of backlogged RPGs already. XD

Pandora's Tower also has caught my interest on occasion. Seems like I should be giving that one more thought.

ReaderRagfihs

@Tyranexx Prices for Xenoblade 1 on Wii aren't too bad anymore, usually about $30-40. Still not great for a used Wii game, but there's enough content to make it worth the money. In fact, the 3DS port is slowly starting to become more expensive than the Wii version.

I disagree with @BlueOcean, I would definitely recommend Xenoblade 1. I did have my issues with it, but none of the things he's mentioning bothered me at all (except for maybe the grinding and side quests, I can somewhat agree on those). The battle system was flexible and fun, all the different party members were distinct in their skills and personalities, there was a lot of freedom in how you developed your characters, and the environments and music are great.

It's pretty long though. Outside of some of the later Dragon Quest games (especially VII), there aren't many RPGs out there with a longer main story.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread
Wii/DS games online post shutdown

EvilLucario

1 is fantastic but X and 2 improved the gameplay so much that I can't go back to 1 as easily.

1 has the best story though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BlueOcean

@ReaderRagfish It seems that we partly agree after all but the issues affected me more. The thing with the New 3DS version is that it's technically worse (according to reviews) but even being optimised for Wii the big scenarios are really flat so they can run on the hardware and the frame rate tanks during combat. Playing XC after XCX could be tricky but I respect your opinion totally.

@EvilLucario I bought the game when it launched in 2011 because they said it would be hard to find, I started playing right away. The story is amazing but I only beat the game in 2018 because I gave it up a few times out of frustration. It's not just the difficulty, I can deal with that, it's the combination of flaws that made me believe that it was not worth the effort. Not until nearly the end of the game you are basically forced to optimise team members and strategies to crazy levels but the confusing battles don't let you do that easily anyway. The story was the only thing that I genuinely enjoyed about XC and only a remake could fix the rest in my opinion.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Darknyht

@BlueOcean I picked up the first one when I bought my Wii U and played it for a solid 100 hours. I think for me what helped was catching onto the MMO style battle system fast. Once that was done, I realized I needed a striker, tank, and healer/support on my team and built them accordingly. I honestly think I went through the majority of the game with the Shulk/Reyn/Sharla because it was a very balanced team if spec'ed right. Melia/Dunban/Riki was the other setup I used, although I think I ran the last battle with Shulk/Seven/Sharla.

Combat in XCX seemed to be designed much the same way, although it was broken enough that a single character built the right way could overrun most battles. I finished the last battle with just my own character alive abusing defensive stance and the sword arts to overdrive/heal (using a relative safe spot I found). I've been toying with an Assault Rifle only build that I don't think will be able to complete the end game unless I take control of someone else, but I am enjoying that I cannot just overwhelm enemies this time around.

In the end, XCX (and Breath of the Wild/Smash Bros for Wii U) showcases what the system was really capable of. I like to imagine a world where XCX got a stand-alone expansion (and released early), and XC1 got an HD release on the Wii U. I am still amazed how good the first one can look when pushed through Dolphin.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

BlueOcean

@Darknyht One game that really impressed me on Wii was Monster Hunter Tri. Yes, it has loading screens but the world looks so nice and the monsters are really impressive. The Darkside Chronicles is probably the best-looking Wii game (probably the best-looking SD game ever) but it is a rail shooter (ha!).

The best-looking Wii U game in my opinion in XCX. Breath of the Wild has a few more modern features like dynamic lighting but Mira looks much better overall and so do the creatures. Breath of the Wild is like an evolution of Skyward Sword's visual style. I am still halfway in XCX but I already consider it the best Wii U (original) game overall.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Darknyht

@BlueOcean I am afraid I started with MH3U so going back to Tri would be a downgrade for me, although I've read the animation was impressive. I am impartial to Blue Ocean, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Xenoblade Chronicles (just the sheer amount of world they built). Metroid Prime 3 would be another one that impressed me, but I believe Art Direction/Style is just as important as polygon count.

Below is a link to Xenoblade Chronicles on Dolphin in HD (but using a texture pack to further improve the graphics). The Monster Hunter Tri version looks equally impressive, but to me it just looks how the Wii U edition runs.

Edited on by Darknyht

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht | Twitter:

BlueOcean

@Darknyht Wow, I probably should have played XC like that, the higher resolution alone is a noticeable upgrade: grass, texts...

BlueOcean

subpopz

Storywise alone I'd recommend playing XC1. It has it's faults, but I did enjoy it.
And also XC1 & 2 are directly connected storywise, so for that added bit it's worth it. I feel pretty much the same way @ReaderRagfish does in what he said about it, so I won't repeat that. It is really long, but I played the 3DS version which is quite a downgrade in visuals, but the portability let me get through it relatively fast compared to if I was playing solely on a TV.
XC2 (&Torna) I absolutely adored. Still holding out hope for a XCX Switch port before I commit to buying the Wii U version.

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

BlueOcean

If he is going to play XC2 it would be recommendable at least to watch the cutscenes of XC (with the textures pack applied if possible). Too bad XC doesn't have a theatre mode but I will probably watch the cutscenes again before playing XC2 (& Torna).

EDIT: Does XC2 recap XC1?

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic