Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 4,361 to 4,371 of 4,371

EvilLucario

@BlueOcean Once you master a class tree, you can use those weapons freely. Actually, the very best class is the Drifter because it has five skill slots. You go through each class from Duelist to Galactic Knight to Astral Crusader, then once you've unlocked all of the skills and weapons you want, you go back to Drifter. The other classes have some stat boosts, but those stat boosts are nothing compared to a fifth skill slot.

The most popular (and overpowered) combination is the longsword + dual guns. Personally though, assault rifle + photon saber is the most fun to use.

That said, the flexibility comes at a cost. It's only available for you, not for your party members, and your party members are so similar to each other. So the versatility is very front-loaded on the avatar, something both 1 and 2 balance a lot better.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Tyranexx

Wow, this topic took off quite a bit in my absence; glad to see a lot of people talking about this gem!

Combat took some getting used to for me since I jumped in guns blazing; I had to peruse the manual and turn to some online help for some things. I feel like I became pretty decent at combat during my time with the game, but I wouldn't say that I ever fully mastered it either. I didn't even know much about the stats attached to armor or what they did until near the end of the campaign.

@ReaderRagfish: Wow. ._____. It's definitely been awhile since I looked up prices for XC1; I hadn't realized that they had changed that much. I think there's still a way locally that I could get a copy of 3D for $40. Other than graphical differences (which hardly bother me), are there any other changes between the two versions?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

EvilLucario

The biggest problem with 1 on the 3DS isn't even the game's fault, it's the fact that the New 3DS's C-nub was a piece of ****. I hear if you mod it to replace it with something like a PSP nub, it's much better. But if you're using the base New 3DS, that C-nub is garbage.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

EvilLucario

@subpopz A fair point, but I just despise it no matter the game.

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: Thanks for the input. Seems like it's all pretty much down to preference then. Hmm....I'll have to sleep on this one. 🤔

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Darknyht

@BlueOcean The build that I ran during my first play through was purely a longswords user (I think I kept the assault rifle around for the few times I couldn't get close). The skill palette was Defensive Stance (gave regeneration plus def at cost of offense to heal), Burning Slash, Incendiary Edge, Magnum Edge, Rising Blade, Tornado Blade, True Stream Edge, and Offensive Stance (offense at cost of Def). With all leveled up it allowed you to unleash a lot of attacks (Rising Blade has a crazy 9 sec recharge fully leveled and does more damage generally because you carry all the agro), build TP (either through auto-attack or two arts), or Tank and heal.

While the biggest weakness I know of was that the build couldn't do infinite overdrive or some of the other game breaking strats, it made you more than capable of adjusting to the situation for most story battles (as long as you augmented and skilled correctly), the pro side was that all arts are continuously secondary charging since it is only using a single weapon. There are probably other flaws in the build, but it was the path of least resistance for me.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Banjo-

I think that the C stick is perfectly serviceable for controlling the camera in any game, even games that originally did not have a manual camera like Majora's Mask. Using it is effortless because you slightly move your fingertip with no pressure although in the beginning it seems that you are not using it at all, which is a positive thing eventually. Actually, the regular left stick (slide button) is more uncomfortable in long sessions because of the strain of pushing the thumb in a very low position. The slide button was a smart idea because it is flat and doesn't make the 3DS bigger but there is a reason why analogue sticks have a certain height. I like it but it's not really comfortable after some time, at least for me.

@EvilLucario The only advanced class that I have unlocked is Galactic Knight, the other paths are not completed yet. L's shop is about to open and I was defeated by Almandal (Chapter 7). I am surprised that Lin still dies so soon after being almost level 30 (after the game suggested to lower this boss difficulty).

I just got my Skell licence, I haven't fought with it yet, I will have to equip it or something because it doesn't use arts. I probably should reach level 30 to equip my characters with better weapons and also visit L's shop when it opens. I have realised that AI is not good but it really doesn't surprise me because it was the same in XC1.

@Darknyht I will have a look and check what arts and skills I have unlocked this far and try the ones that you and EvilLucario recommended. A few of them I haven't seen yet, are any of them exclusive to specific NPCs kind of you are forced to use a specific team member to use the best arts in the game?

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Darknyht

@BlueOcean True Stream Edge is gained from a NPC. True Stream Edge is available at Chapter 8, but if I remember I just plugged in Ultraslash which isn't as good but serviceable (and can be gained in Ch. 5). Until all the abilities were available I was jumping between longsword and assault rifle arts which each new longsword art replacing the assault rifle ones.

If you already mastered Galactic Knight, I've seen building around the beam saber in a similar way with similar results. I thought about it, but had already invested too many points into the longsword/assault rifle skills and didn't have the patience to grind additional. I do know that full GK benefits greatly from TP: Arts augments to make life easier.

Darknyht

Banjo-

Before going into Chapter 8, I am doing some side quests. This game is awesome. Aisha is going to fight it! Ma-non are stingy, stinky, shifty, no-good... no offence.

@Darknyht So can you use True Stream Edge on characters other than Nagi? What does it do exactly?

Banjo-

Darknyht

@BlueOcean Every character you can recruit has signature Arts, as you complete their side quest missions you unlock them. Nagi and Gwen offer longsword arts, but only they (and eventually your character) can access them. What makes it so useful is that at max rank every 24.0 s (secondary/tertiary cool downs only boost damage) with at least 1 morale, you can hit all nearby enemies hit 5 times generating 120 TP per hit (can't remember if it was per enemy or not).

I am sure someone that has a better grasp on Overdrive (which I am still trying to wrap my mind around), can give you better advice. I've only just started experimenting more with overdrive since I get a full palette with Assault Rifle. I am learning that I can Assault Hammer > Power Dive > Incendiary Grenade > Yellow Spam > ??? for decent damage (still working on my augments), but never really messed with Overdrive outside of a Skell.

Darknyht

Cotillion

I am very late to the party here.
I played both Xenoblade 1 and 2, loved them both. XBC2 is one of my favourite Switch games and one of my all time favourite games.
I've had XBCX sitting in my Wii U backlog, kinda been putting it off hoping for a Switch port. But I finally gave up hoping and dove into X. So, I'll probably comment randomly in this thread as I progress
I've got a few hours in so far. First and foremost, wow this game has an amazing world. This has got to be the best open worlds I've played in so far. Its so varied and beautiful. The huge landscape, the wildlife. Just wow. Mira is pure eye candy.
I was taking pics of the landscapes and sending them to a friend cause I just wanted to it off (and this is something I never do).
I know some people gripe about high level monsters being near low level places, but I like it as I did in the other XBC games. It feels more "real"...in that if you went blindly out into a wild environment, you may run into a very strong animal or a very weak one. Who knows, its a wild environment, after all.
I liked the XBC stories and characters in 1&2, but I like that the 'Cross' character is the player in this one. Makes for a different experience than the other 2 games. And X has the one feature I missed in XBC2 - fashion over top of your armour. I really enjoy that kind of customization.
The battle system isn't too far off from what I'm used to from the other games, so I'm enjoying that as well. Familiarity with the style is probably good as the game didn't explain it a whole lot, so I imagine it could be confusing to newcomers to the series.
I'm not very far into the story, so I can't comment much on that. I've been too busy exploring this magnificent planet.

Cotillion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic