Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 4,261 to 4,280 of 4,371

Dezzy

Interesting that people have continued discussing this longer than BotW, even though it came out more than a year before it.

I definitely need to replay this at some point.

I'm still hoping they do a Switch port. It deserved a bigger audience.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Cobalt

@Dezzy "I'm still hoping they do a Switch port."

If they do that, it means that they have to sacrifice an entire part of the game or to transform the experience.
I have around 400 hours of playtime on Xenoblade X and I can say that a port will be a bad idea because you cannot get the full experience of that game on a Switch.

Cobalt

Darknyht

@Tsurii Nope, the game is unplayable without the gamepad on Wii U. A port is possible, but would require a reworking of the setup for docked play. Handheld mode would run mostly like I played it, on the gamepad switching it back to tv when I needed the touchscreen (or needed to read the super tiny print).

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Ralizah

The game is unplayable without the GamePad because a bunch of stuff was relegated to the gamepad. You could easily make that stuff part of a menu you flip to, and use gyro in place of touch control.

Not ideal, but doable.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

I've read that some people fire up both the GamePad and the Pro Controller and use the former when they need to warp, manage probes, etc. I didn't like switching between the two, so went back to ye olde GamePad due to the convenience and played a majority of the game that way.

A Switch port would be doable, but I would hope that they would hopefully fix the menu structure a little.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Xyphon22

Dezzy wrote:

Interesting that people have continued discussing this longer than BotW, even though it came out more than a year before it.

That's because you can only say "This game is awesome!" so many times. X may be a great game, but it has a lot of issues and is complicated in many ways that makes people like me come on here asking questions. I also played Zelda till I beat it, whereas this game was easier to get stuck and take a long break and then I forgot what I was doing when I started again and needed help.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

Well the BOTW discussion is on the Switch, which has vastly more current topics to overshadow it.

Man, I should write an essay on this game. Like I could write both a super long positive, and a decently long negative review, and both would be accurate to my experiences.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

Is Xenoblade 2 actually as big as this game anyway? Still haven't got round to playing it.

Darknyht

@Tsurii I think you misread my comment. I never stated it was impossible on Switch, just that there would be compromises. Functionally, I think it would be similar to ZombiU ports. With ZombiU ports the game functions, but there is just that little part missing that was intended to be there.

What my original statement pointed out was that it was impossible to play the game on the Wii U without the gamepad. You would have to dig in the forums, but I remember someone had a broken gamepad and Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of the games that would not function without it.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

Dezzy

@Cobalt @Tsurii

I meant in terms of content, not just actual scale.
Obviously XCX is one of the biggest games ever made in terms of actual scale. But not in terms of RPG content. It only has 1 town, you can't go in many of the buildings, and it has a fairly short main story.
So in terms of sheer content, something like Skyrim or Witcher 3 is gonna come out on top.

In terms of content, I'd say there's very little difference between XC1 and XCX. XCX has the bigger world and more interesting sidequests. But XC1 has a much longer story and more towns to explore.

Edited on by Dezzy

Cobalt

@Dezzy : "But not in terms of RPG content. It only has 1 town and you can't go in many of the buildings.
So in terms of sheer content, something like Skyrim or Witcher 3 is gonna come out on top."

Oh MY !

I played the 3 games. Xenoblade Chronicles X have more to offer than Skyrim or the Witcher 3.
Those three games have pros and cons but if I have to classify them in term of content/gameplay possibilities/life span : Xenoblade Chronicles X is far away from the others.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim and the Witcher 3 have content but to give a concrete example of my playtime :

Skyrim : almost 170h
The Witcher 3 : roughly 250h
Xenoblade Chronicle X : exactly 463h

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

Dezzy

@Cobalt

Yeah but I bet the balance between gameplay and story/lore is very different in those.
Skyrim has like a thousand hours of lore you can go through. Xenoblade doesn't.

Cobalt

@Dezzy

Like I already said those three games have pros and cons...
But if I should choose one between them, I wouldn't hesitate one second : Xenoblade X by far.

Cobalt

Dezzy

@Cobalt

Well I'd choose it ahead of Skyrim too. Behind The Witcher 3 though.

SuperLuigi111

I've been thinking about getting this game but I'm not sure. The only RPG's I've been into have been Kingdom Hearts and Fallout, so I'm wondering if there would be a steep learning curve to this game for me.

SuperLuigi111

TheCurator

@SuperLuigi111 Yes it has a long learning curve. If you're not ready to give your everything you've got into it avoid it because you'll miss out a lot of in-game stuff.

Wii U Owner!
Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 14-Inch HD Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB DDR3 248GB SSD OS Windows 10 Pro

SuperLuigi111

Just remembered, I was also really into Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. But the most in-depth RPG I've been into has been Fallout, and while it had a steep learning curve, it has been a rewarding experience and I've given everything to it. So maybe I can do the same with Xenoblade.

SuperLuigi111

Tyranexx

TheCurator wrote:

Yes it has a long learning curve. If you're not ready to give your everything you've got into it avoid it because you'll miss out a lot of in-game stuff.

I second this. It took me a few battles to start getting a feel for the combat; I had never played a game like this before. If you keep trying at it and working on new strategies and combos, you'll definitely improve. That said, I played the game for over 100 hours (finished the main story and did a lot of exploring + a good many of the sidequests) and still wouldn't say that I ever completely mastered everything the game has to offer.

For example, I was probably about 3/4 of the way through the main story before I learned that there was a lot more to armor than just the defense values alone.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

@SuperLuigi111

You should go and play the first Xenoblade first. It's a bit simpler and a bit better overall (according to the general audience opinion, obviously some people will disagree)

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic