Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles X - OT

Posts 4,181 to 4,200 of 4,371

Dezzy

@Chandlero

Not really. Basically the 3 main mechanics that aren't just obvious/intuitive are:

Soul voice - Your party will shout out different coloured commands during battle (you'll see a box appear above their head). If you use an art of the same colour within 5 seconds of them shouting, it will increase the power of the art as well as moderately healing you. So having arts of all the different colours works out best (for you and your other party members, who can use it too). This mechanic is the most important for winning tough battles because if you set your characters up well, you can get a constant stream of small healing effects.

TP gauge - Increases when you use your standard attack. Melee attacks increase it more than gun attacks in general. Various arts need TP in order to use (they have TP written on their logos) so you need to make sure you only have a few of those arts, or you'll hardly ever get to use them. TP is also the main way of reviving dead teammates.

Healing - Took me a while to figure this out. Only some classes actually have healing arts. So someone in your party needs to have a lot of these. Beyond that, you can only heal through the soul voice (above) or revive dead characters using 3000TP (above).

Beyond that, just remember to constantly upgrade and acquire more arts as you level up. Upgrade your character skills/abilities too (a different thing). And make sure to move up the class tree as you reach level 10 for each level.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

@Chandlero

Yep. I'd say it's pretty much the best game on the system too.
If we treat BotW as a switch game, I'd say XenobladeX is tied first with MK8 and Mario 3D World as the best Wii U game.
The only reason it didn't get a higher metascore was because of the various systems that are hard to understand.

SKTTR

Xenoblade X is worth buying a Wii U for.

It has the best story, best atmosphere, best openworld design, best graphics, best music, and it's without devaluing, braincramp-inducing stuff like DLC or amiibo. It also has no bugs or unpolished edges that can bring it down.

After spending 350 hours on each Breath of the Wild on Switch and Xenoblade X, XenoX just brought something new and orginal, something more realistic and atmospheric to my table. BotW is just a Zelda game. Even though it is super fun and different (and better in some regards) when compared to other games in the series, it couldn't surprise me like that one game that feels entirely new, more mature, and equally well-made, Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Dezzy

@Snaplocket

I just ignored the manual and figured things out as I went along. So it never seemed a big issue for me.
It did take me about 10 hours to figure out how to heal but oh well.

Ralizah

XCX definitely should have had way more in-game tutorials and instruction. They could have just made them optional.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Xyphon22

@Dezzy Yeah, healing is definitely my downfall. Maybe I need to figure out how to do that more. That and none of my teammates ever save any TP so they are never able to revive me when I die like they did in the first game. I hate that.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Dezzy

Xyphon22 wrote:

@Dezzy Yeah, healing is definitely my downfall. Maybe I need to figure out how to do that more. That and none of my teammates ever save any TP so they are never able to revive me when I die like they did in the first game. I hate that.

Just have 1 character that has plenty of healing arts and then make sure all of your party has arts of every colour. That'll make soul voice work as much as possible. It's even worth having 1 rubbish purple art just for the sake of having a purple one.

Xyphon22

I guess that's true. I'd been stocking up on powerful ones at the expense of purples and greens. I have also been thinking about limiting the arts of my teammates that require TP to use so they can hopefully save it up to revive me if I get killed. Is that a good idea?

Xyphon22

Dezzy

@Xyphon22

I'd say you want a maximum of 2 TP arts. That's what I found optimal.

Luna_110

Another thing to watch out for when you get it is Overdrive. Its really useful, specially if you decide to go after the Ultra Fauna in the post game, but the game does a terrible job at explaining it.

There are some guides in Youtube that explain it really well, though. It is worth checking it out, because it can be a game changer, specially if you are in a complicated battle or find a nasty tyrant.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Xyphon22

@Dezzy Thanks, so I will try to limit them next time I play.
@Tsurii Yeah, I've seen that menu and played around with the soul voices a little bit, but not much because I thought the default ones looked pretty good. I may have to look at it some more, though. And are you talking about the Overdrive that @Luna_110 mentioned as the replacement for chain attacks? I have it, but haven't gotten the hang of it yet, so I may have to check out some of those YouTube videos. From what I've seen, though, it sounds like non-attack arts like the purple ones are key to keeping the combos going, so that may be another good reason to add them to my list.

Xyphon22

Dezzy

Yeah I never bothered learning how to do the best overdrive. You might need to read about that.
It doesn't unlock for a while though I think.

kkslider5552000

I had the worst experience both with and around the chapter 9 boss. Literal hours of using a sidequest nearby to try and level up. Somewhat unintentionally because EVERYTHING IN THE LAVA CAVERN THAT COULD GO WRONG, DOES. I'm not kidding, between enemies showing up, to how easily/randomly these level 40 enemies at the bottom can appear to ruin everything, to my party running towards their death in the lava if I shoot at an enemy above it, to one of my attacks causing me to go forward into the lava, to enemies seemingly respawning for no reason, this is one of the most absurd, fail-riffic sequences I've played in an RPG. And I played Dark Souls!

Between that and how arbitrary it feels with how useful some of these gameplay mechanics can be, I just feel exhausted by this game. Much of the game isn't this bad, but this segment was a nightmare. And even though it helped me level up a bit, it wasn't enough to defeat this boss enemies that were...clearly lower level but the game doesn't care about consistent level logic either. The levels are not always a good indicator of difficulty...which is not an idea I would use for an RPG. I spent way too long trying to avoid having to lower the boss levels via failing too much, but I spent 4 hours in this one tiny area of the game so by that point I just couldn't care anymore. Shame, as the boss fight was actually fun once I had an actual chance (making me overleveled compared to them gave me a chance. LOGIC!!!)

It's so annoying! There is no one who wants to sing the praises of this game more than me, but in general I don't play JRPGs for high levels of difficulty, and this game is so weird and random and confusing sometimes, even after doing research. At this point I just want to do the cool side missions, and just breeze through the story instead of spending more time than I have to. But even then, there's this level 30 mission where I need Frye and Phog at 3 heart Affinity, so I had Phog and later Frye as my 4th party member during this so I could hopefully kill two birds with one stone. But despite 4 hours of this, and both being at 2 hearts before this (with a ton of time before this spent trying to improve Frye's affinity in particular), neither of them are even halfway through this one heart.

The fun part is that this game is so big that this only mildly changes my opinion of the game as a whole, at best.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chandlero

I really like the game so far. I am still figuring out a lot of stuff but I really helps that I played Xenoblade on the Wii before. Hence, the arts and fighting mechanics are not totally new to me. However, it is interesting to see how different two games can be in spite of having the same gameplay mechanics.

By the way: Having the map and other options on the WiiU GamePad is a very nice touch and shows me what BotW could have used.

Edited on by Chandlero

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I had the worst experience both with and around the chapter 9 boss. Literal hours of using a sidequest nearby to try and level up. Somewhat unintentionally because EVERYTHING IN THE LAVA CAVERN THAT COULD GO WRONG, DOES. I'm not kidding, between enemies showing up, to how easily/randomly these level 40 enemies at the bottom can appear to ruin everything, to my party running towards their death in the lava if I shoot at an enemy above it, to one of my attacks causing me to go forward into the lava, to enemies seemingly respawning for no reason, this is one of the most absurd, fail-riffic sequences I've played in an RPG. And I played Dark Souls!

Between that and how arbitrary it feels with how useful some of these gameplay mechanics can be, I just feel exhausted by this game. Much of the game isn't this bad, but this segment was a nightmare. And even though it helped me level up a bit, it wasn't enough to defeat this boss enemies that were...clearly lower level but the game doesn't care about consistent level logic either. The levels are not always a good indicator of difficulty...which is not an idea I would use for an RPG. I spent way too long trying to avoid having to lower the boss levels via failing too much, but I spent 4 hours in this one tiny area of the game so by that point I just couldn't care anymore. Shame, as the boss fight was actually fun once I had an actual chance (making me overleveled compared to them gave me a chance. LOGIC!!!)

It's so annoying! There is no one who wants to sing the praises of this game more than me, but in general I don't play JRPGs for high levels of difficulty, and this game is so weird and random and confusing sometimes, even after doing research. At this point I just want to do the cool side missions, and just breeze through the story instead of spending more time than I have to. But even then, there's this level 30 mission where I need Frye and Phog at 3 heart Affinity, so I had Phog and later Frye as my 4th party member during this so I could hopefully kill two birds with one stone. But despite 4 hours of this, and both being at 2 hearts before this (with a ton of time before this spent trying to improve Frye's affinity in particular), neither of them are even halfway through this one heart.

The fun part is that this game is so big that this only mildly changes my opinion of the game as a whole, at best.

I'm honestly just quoting to say that as a contrast to this, the next time I played after this I did the flying tutorial thing so my Skell could fly. I then spent an hour mostly trying to find more of those stupid lobsters, only got 2 (currently at 46), and still enjoyed myself. If this doesn't sum up the weird highs and lows of this game, I don't know what does.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chandlero

I heard a lot of bad things about the soundtrack, and I always thought that the reason was the powerful and epic soundtrack of XC couldn't be excelled. However, now I realised that this is just a whole different approach to give a game a soundtrack. I really like the soundtrack so far and it is very refreshing.

ilikeike

XCX's soundtrack is like the game itself--a mixture of highs and lows. The NLA themes are pretty terrible, and the quality of the battle themes is definitely debatable. On the other hand, the Sylvalum Night and Noctilum Day themes are two of my favorite pieces of VGM ever. IMO the good outweighs the bad in the soundtrack overall due to the undeniable excellence of many of the songs, but it's not without a few duds.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic